Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign OP Market Garden
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Al, thanks for that. I'll pick one up with confidence now as I'm too lazy and long sighted to make the chest pouches...lol. I'm going with the 6lber in the street now. Ordered some brass 6lber shells off ebay for about a fiver that look quite nice and have started modifying some British infantry to paras so the wheels are in motion
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC
Karl I will accept part builds if the part build is included in a larger scene like a dio. Yours should be fine as you stated a dio. I put 30% completed in the rules, that was to stop someone painting a part built as their entry. Reworking a built model sometimes takes longer than a straight build if you strip it.

Sorry I have not been on recently guys my PC was down, but on my return there is some very nice builds underway.

Cheers Pete
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Pete, that's great news. I'm still working on a load of figures for my 6lber dio so the Bren carrier can go in a later one as I've got a couple of other ideas I'm thinking of
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me what Firefly units were involved? Markings?
What about Shermans? Markings?
I have a few German AA kits 20 mm & 37mm on halftracks..what unit markings would be on these? I have a 20mm PZ I w/trailer, would that be in this fight?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone tell me what Firefly units were involved? Markings?
What about Shermans? Markings?
I have a few German AA kits 20 mm & 37mm on halftracks..what unit markings would be on these? I have a 20mm PZ I w/trailer, would that be in this fight?

You can check my post, for one of the Firefly units.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi David,

Depends on what part of the advance. The 2nd Irish Guards lead up to and just past Nijmegan where they got stopped by a couple of Tiger tanks and 7 French 75mm guns. At this point the tanks were on a single highway, a raised road about 6ft in height and sitting targets. The Germans were well dug in with effective MG covering fire. Have a look here under 19 September

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/47136-war-diary-2nd-armoured-battalion-irish-guards-jan-dec-1944/

As best I can recall No 2 Squadron with mounted Infantry from No 2 Company 3rd Battalion were in the lead at this point.

Markings Red square with white 53 on RHS, Guards Armoured Marking on LHS, Tanks numbers front and rear, blue Square for No 2 Squadron on each side of tank.

This is a Firefly from No 1 Sqn, early 44. Note the spare wheel, common stowage on most Mick tanks and by Market Garden they would probably have more protection tracks etc on the front.

Cheers

Al

erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Some cracking footage in here I've not seen before like 6lber boxes being taken out of wicker baskets etc and footage of Jerry POW's .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJTUL9S4zU
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 05:54 AM UTC
Been a bit since an update. Not a great deal to show, but I managed to get some work done of the figures.

Out of paint. The figures...especially the lads up front...are really holding up assembly.

So on to the figures. I don't have a great collection of British figures. I given that I have another Carrier that will eventually be used with this one, I didn't want them to have the same crews. The other Carrier uses the Forced Recon figures, plus the relaxed figure from the Euro Campaign boxing.
I used the kit's driver but switched his arms with the North Africa figure's arms. The gunner is the North Africa figure with added trouser legs. The relaxed figure is the kit's gunner but with a modified leg. The fourth figure is the kit's radio guy. I cut away the torso and used the legs with a torso from the spares.

And placed in the Carrier.

That's where things stand at the moment.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
Nice work Alex, like the work yo have done on the figures. Amazing what a bit of time can acheive, and no resin in sight.

Here is the start of my build, may do a couple as I have a few resin Paras (Staffords lol) spare.

The Willys airbourne jeep chasis and engine in. Engine won't be seen .....but I know its there.

Will post some more as I go, at least I have made a start.

Nice work coming along with the other builds started here, look forward to more starts too.

Pete
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
I am in. I am probably making a diorama with figures and a tank from other campaigns included.

More to follow.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 06:35 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Jesper
Any particular build? which side?

Pete
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 08:16 PM UTC
Thanks, Pete. I did some research yesterday online and found the story about Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 and the battles they fought. I am thinking to make a King Tiger for this campaign and maybe include a Pz. IV and some Paras from other campaigns as well. All in a compressed diorama.

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/schpzabt506.htm
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 11:28 PM UTC
A little more research has reealed more pictures of one of the 506's King tigers in Arnhem and lots of pictures of the one destroyed in Oosterbeek.

I am not a big photo expert, but I think it is obvious that the destroyed King Tiger did not have any zimmerit(?).

Markings and camouflage is anyone's guess?! Any ideas? Any suggestions or other pictures.

Arnhem:

Oosterbeek:

noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 06:09 PM UTC
Jesper that sounds like it will be some build, really looking forward to seeing it.

Pete
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 11:40 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I've been able to make a little progress on the couple of figures I'm building. I lost the head to the standing grenadier so I had to rob another figure's head.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"

noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi guys here is some more work on the Bronco Airborne jeep.

Not had a great deal of spare time for building recently, but hope to make some more progress soon.

Pete
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi all, I have been trying to post an update for the past couple of days but have been unable to post my photos to the Kit Maker Photo Album. Is anyone else having this trouble?

Anyway, my time on the bench has been limited but she is coming along slowly. I am pretty much done with the over all build just working on the tracks and the tools at this point. I will post some pics as soon as I can get them uploaded.

All of the builds are looking great and I am learning from each of you as we continue this campaign. Thanks for letting me participate.

Dave
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
This may sound a bizarre question but does anyone know what the weather was like in Arnhem during the Op? I know the weather was crap in the UK but did it rain in Holland during the Op? Reason I ask is I tried a new technique last night using oils on the road. Looks great as t toned everything down and put shadows between the bricks but is semi gloss which I can live with if it rained otherwise I'll matt it down before I apply debris. I'll post some in progress pics up tomorrow as I've finished some figures and am now working on the diorama base which is the miniart european cross roads. The 6lbers sorted but I've got to wait till Christmas day for that one..lol. I've got the scene firmly mapped out in my head now so it's coming together nicely. Infantry moving up towards the crossroads behind the 6lber (which is just tucked back from the road) and preparing to move left and right.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
Also whilst Dave's brought up the Kitmaker gallery, how do I increase my space on there as I'm running out of room. I suppose I could delete a load of stuff but then it will vanish off other threads which would be a shame as I'd put a lot of time and effort into the builds on there.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
Karl,
I think you can increase your gallery storage space by becoming a subscriber to Kitmaker. I now have plenty of space and my PayPal account is automatically billed.

Hope it helps. Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 06:40 AM UTC
Dave,
There have been some issues with the gallery since the site was down, I have not been able to post any pics till Today they are working on it.

Here is my kit for the Campaign.

Cheers Rob.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC
Don, thanks for that. I'll subscribe so now I won't have to delete stuff!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC
I'll be getting on with my build, tomorrow. I'm looking at possibly ordering another etch set and maybe some resin.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 03:30 AM UTC
hey all,

so here is my photographic updates regarding my Panther G.

For the most part I am done with the building, just adding minor details. Here I added brass rod in lieu of the PE.

Im not too excited about the PE chain in the Eduard kit so I ordered some 1/700 anchor chain as a replacement. If it looks over scale then I will attempt to make some of my own.

and finally here are the twins together. Once I complete the second Panther I will move on to painting.

thanks for looking in, as always comments are welcome.

Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This may sound a bizarre question but does anyone know what the weather was like in Arnhem during the Op? I know the weather was crap in the UK but did it rain in Holland during the Op? Reason I ask is I tried a new technique last night using oils on the road. Looks great as t toned everything down and put shadows between the bricks but is semi gloss which I can live with if it rained otherwise I'll matt it down before I apply debris. I'll post some in progress pics up tomorrow as I've finished some figures and am now working on the diorama base which is the miniart european cross roads. The 6lbers sorted but I've got to wait till Christmas day for that one..lol. I've got the scene firmly mapped out in my head now so it's coming together nicely. Infantry moving up towards the crossroads behind the 6lber (which is just tucked back from the road) and preparing to move left and right.

Hi Karl,

All the pictures I've looked at would suggest that it was overcast but dry at least during the initial 3/4 days. If I remember correctly in the film A Bridge Too Far the withdrawal across the river was depicted in pouring rain. You could google the weather forecast for the period and see how things looked.

Some info here, but I haven't read it all. Scroll down and there is a section about the weather.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_arnhem.html

Cheers

Al