Hosted by Darren Baker
Where do you think you are going?
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi Mark - thanks for checking in! I agree with each of your points - the paper looks too "fresh" as it is!!! It will get a two part wash - first alcohol and ink, second a highly diluted wash of life color dust - and voila! "Old" paper!

As I noted above to Matt, endurance has a lot to do with building tedious parts of builds...at the time, I just ran out of energy!.. Paper on the edges tho, it was intentionally temporarily left out - that is, as the walls aren't glued in, I'm fitting, test fitting, etc - and don't want to accidentally break or knock out the debris....it will get there, just after the walls are tied down once and for all -

Another question which emerges for me thinking about this is: what about other "fine" debris? Small/very thin wire? Plastic wrapping/packaging materials? And, while this might sound odd, small random pieces of broken, colored plastic? All of the detritus you will see "in the corners" of remnant, neglected places....hmmm

And then, what goes outside? I'm thinking less "stuff/junk/debris" and, tediously, clumps of weeds, tumbleweed-esque....plus porous aggregate ground cover...and just a few pieces of non-natural waste.

Hi Witold - thanks! It's getting there - as you can see in the comments above, it's a work in progress!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 03:12 AM UTC
Old tires..... maybe some old busted up pallets.... try looking at some of the pics from Pripyat, like 2 miles from Chernoybl
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 07:59 AM UTC
Nick. It is a fantastic build for sure.

And I will stop picking on Romain:-) I promise...

Sorry Romain!! The only reputation you have here is for absolutely awesome modelling. I also love how you keep us all thinking about excellence in our own work.

Happy Canada Day hosers! Take off eh?

Dave
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
Take off! To the Great White North!
Take off! It's the Party way to go!

Enjoy - Dave!

Cheers

Nick
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hey Nick, just seeing this for the first time. Just splended work you have here. Really looks the part of a deserted old gas stop along the hyways of the world after it has all fallen apart. Now all you need is some old torn snikers wrappers on the floor and empty soda machine. Great job so far, will keep on checking this one out.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark - thanks for checking in! I agree with each of your points - the paper looks too "fresh" as it is!!! It will get a two part wash - first alcohol and ink, second a highly diluted wash of life color dust - and voila! "Old" paper!

As I noted above to Matt, endurance has a lot to do with building tedious parts of builds...at the time, I just ran out of energy!.. Paper on the edges tho, it was intentionally temporarily left out - that is, as the walls aren't glued in, I'm fitting, test fitting, etc - and don't want to accidentally break or knock out the debris....it will get there, just after the walls are tied down once and for all -

Another question which emerges for me thinking about this is: what about other "fine" debris? Small/very thin wire? Plastic wrapping/packaging materials? And, while this might sound odd, small random pieces of broken, colored plastic? All of the detritus you will see "in the corners" of remnant, neglected places....hmmm

And then, what goes outside? I'm thinking less "stuff/junk/debris" and, tediously, clumps of weeds, tumbleweed-esque....plus porous aggregate ground cover...and just a few pieces of non-natural waste.

Hi Witold - thanks! It's getting there - as you can see in the comments above, it's a work in progress!!

Sounds like a plan! I should have known--you're way out in front of me on this! lol

Tumbleweeds sound great! And my experience in New Mexico tells me those critters will even find a way inside, given enough time.

Maybe an old rack out by the gas pumps like the kind they sell oil and fuel additives from. Of course, probably would have been scavanged long ago...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Take off! To the Great White North!
Take off! It's the Party way to go!

Enjoy - Dave!

Cheers

Nick

Lol Nick! Blows me away that you know the lyrics man! Beauty!

Hope your great Nation's B-day is an awesome day too... And that you don't have to work it ( like I did ). Take care and keep building masterful pieces.

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hello fellow model builders - an update on debris....

Bob - thanks - still more work to make it look deserted...

Hi Mark - good idea! I think I know what you mean - one of the little oil can carts...If my energy and patience suffice!

Dave - special tip-o-the xacto to Doug and Bob, two of Canada's fine sons!

OK - here we go!

Here is where it stands - what you can't tell by this is how slow going adding this layer of debris was....not so much adding the odds and ends, but getting it to look like it was a part of the scene, and not something placed on top of the scene...everything from adding several washes of dust, to adding more rubble to adding more paper, and then, adding more washes...

between adding layers of debris, and waiting for the paint to dry, I began the exterior - I think this corner is off to a good start. More detritus will be added to the ground - I added a faint bit of slimy green where the walls meet - the result of moisture gathering in the night, and settling in this shady corner -

The good and bad side of progress pics - the good, you can see what's working...the less good, you can see glaring errors...uhh, like that HUGE blank wall above the workbench yes - that will be fixed!!

Above is the other side - as a whole, except for the ignored wall, this seems to be shaping up.

In addition to fixing the blank wall, I'll be adding some "chunky" debris behind the missing wall panels - This area will be mostly in shadow, so it won't be filled with little fine details - instead stuff big enough to actually be seen - which might include a few pieces of wall framing, barrels, other big stuff.

Ok - thanks for having a look - hope everyone's enjoying the weekend!

Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 04:37 PM UTC
Nick,
This is really coming together nicely ... or should I say falling apart badly!!!

--mike
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hey Mike - it's a dirty job....but someone's got to do it...

Have a better one

Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
As a military man I always like to use bullet statements and short descriptions,etc and so I think "respect" sums up everything here for me.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC

Wow!!!!

(I'm still supposedly speechless, remember!!)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 10:55 PM UTC
It looks... Horrib(le)ly AWSOME!!!! I've been spending the weekend working on 1:1 scale projects... namely my "Frankenkompressor"
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hello - I hope this update helps to clarify where I'm going with this build -

First - Jerry - thanks very much - a few words that say plenty.

Romain, I don't mind the more verbose Romain! thanks!

Hi Matt - good - soon as you get the 1:1 stuff done, you can get back to model building!

OK - here we go:

In the spirit of the "walk around" report found here on Armorama, the three above are a walk around the front of the building. Plenty of decrepitude, but different than the interior. Fading and weathering of the otherwise bright white and red baked on enamel paint. This took some time to figure out how to do more or less "right" - I'm pleased with the gas pumps -they're not glued on yet, but you get the point.

Above you get some views looking in - I think these in particular give better context for the layers of debris strewn about (and maybe make more sense than my last post!) - It was suggested that I add a few shelves, which I did - but, in keeping with what's going on, smashed and weathered them up, then hung them askew - - off of the "new" yellow wall -I went for yellow...just to keep it interesting -

An finally, an overview where you can see the various layers of well, crap...but hopefully not looking like layers, and instead, just the price of prolonged neglect and abuse....

thanks for checking it out -

Nick

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!!!!

(I'm still supposedly speechless, remember!!)

Romain, I am truly sorry for even remotely insinuating that you are too vocal :-(

We all love your inputs and your work. It is all good my friend.

I too am left at a loss for words in trying to succinctly describe the awe with which I find myself as I study each new post from Nick. Nick your work is truly great, and even my non-modelling friends are amazed by the pictures you post. Most of them think you are lying to us all, then I show them the in build pictures and they don't know what to say...

Keep bringing the goods man!

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 05:49 PM UTC
Send it, Bro!!!
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 08:20 PM UTC
Amazing work on the vehicles modifications and impressive work on the diorama base. Can't wait to see how it comes out
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 02:12 AM UTC
Holy crap man.......wow.
Taking notes.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Nick ,

allow me to say it this way...

It is like a laboratory where an experiment has failed miserably.... maybe the testing of a time machine...???? , oh man what a mess....

But how very beautiful at the same time....

Looking good , Nick for sure

Cheers

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hi guys - thanks a lot for checking in! And Kurt, yes, I already admitted that this build is more than a bit "out there"! Haha - but, I'm into it and will finish! Yes, more decrepitude to come!!

As for right now tho, no, I'm not enjoying the great summer days - work, work and more work - but, not on the build right now anyway - I had a modeling accident! While plugged into my telephone headset this morning, and on a conference call, I cleverly decided I could also clean up some resin parts....so, talk, listen, cut, talk listen, cut the xzytz!!! out of my thumb!!! With the 'ole #11!!! Ouch!

So - sore thumb wrapped in bandages - here I sit! A forced "medical leave" haha - don't build and talk on the phone! Haha

I'll be back in action soon
Take care

Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 05:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... I had a modeling accident! While plugged into my telephone headset this morning, and on a conference call, I cleverly decided I could also clean up some resin parts....so, talk, listen, cut, talk listen, cut the xzytz!!! out of my thumb!!! With the 'ole #11!!! Ouch!

So - sore thumb wrapped in bandages - here I sit! A forced "medical leave" haha - don't build and talk on the phone! Haha

Sorry to here that, Nick. ... And that's exactly why I don't drink and dio either! Heal brother, heal ...

--mike
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hej Nick,

damn bad news then..!!! And I pity you as these injuries are a real nuisance!!!
You get aware how often this spot gets in touch with hard objects!

And I can't even say: "get well soon"!!! Things like that simply take time to heal!!

Perhaps you could use the break to collect more info on the "next" project! The web is full of interesting bits and images!!

Good luck!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 02:13 AM UTC
Sorry to hear this. I have had more than a few of these types of injuries in the past.
What I do now if the cuts are not bad enough to require stitches is apply several layers of superglue to the cut. It bonds very well and cuts down on the soreness a lot.
This glue was actually developed originally to bond skin for medical purposes although people seem to be afraid of it for that use.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
Oh no !!!! Why you Nick..... ?? Why now.... ?? Why in your thumb....???

Take good care of that thumb , give it a kiss from time to time because you have to count on it when it's healed .

Never mind , have patience my friend !

Cheers

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi guys - yes indeed the model builder's hazard!! it seems to happen to me about once every four months! ouch! - with, various #68-#80 drill bits into the finger tips between!

As I didn't build anything yesterday, I thought I'd post a few of the build progress pictures of the Ford truck. The idea was to build a high-speed, up armored gun truck.

The body started life as a monster truck, snap kit - but, I really worked it over. The frame and almost everything else is scratch built - much of the build is posted over on Automodeller.

IN brief, its a two wheel drive with long-travel front and rear suspension. A sway-arm, multi-link rear axle, and symmetrical A-arms up front.

Anyway - a few pics - and, like an armored vehicle, you'll never see most of this! why oh why do we do it? - I guess because we "have" to.

Starting with an overview of the body etc:

and under the body:

thanks for checking it out!

Hope to be back in action soon - it is a drag to get paint, CA, washes etc etc etc all over the bandaged mess - if it has stopped being necessary, I'll get to building again -

Jerry - I might incorporate your CA idea! that would be perfect!

thanks!

NIck