matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 05:57 AM UTC
Pete,

I can answer for Nick (partially anyway) The ford truck started life as a 1/32 scale Ertl BIGFOOT kit. I believe the seats are 1/32 scale as well. For some of us 1/32 is close enough....But we won't go there!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Guys - yes - Matt is right - this started life as 1/32 scale snap kit - which btw, in my opinion, looked big to begin with - even as 1/32....

I've added some build pics below - the tires/wheels are from a Legend MaxxPro kit. The engine is for a HMMWV, but set back into the cab substantially - then lots of changes to the kit body, and scratch building of most of the rest - take a look:

This truck was built as part of a campaign on the Automodeller site called Death Race 2014. The plan was to blend some fairly well proven off-road racing ideas with an up-armored pickup - as I liked the results, I decided to add a diorama to go with it! so - you'll see the multi-link rear end, symmetrical A-arms up front - roll cage etc...Plus, some proven weapons - the mini-gum and .50 cal on the CROWS.

I'm not a big enthusiast or expert on the mad-maxx, end-of-days, sci-fi alternative future scene - but, I do like building some stuff outside of my comfort zone, and as a result, the scene that's under way .

When this is done, there will be some companion trucks to the Ford - (two modified RG-31s), the Toyota, and some "good guys" and some "questionable guys"...working things out....asking - "where do you think you are going!?!?"

cheers
Nick
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Nick, just found this mucho respect I love it all. Im starting something on this theme and way out of my comfort zone, Im using a Hobbyboss M706 product improved armoured car commandeered by a couple of troopers and their ladies up gunned to taste (live resin mini gun and a couple of .50s) should be fun.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
I'd swear some of the pictures you post aren't in scale at all! You could fool me; they are 1/1 scale! Very realistic and my hat's off to your determination and eye for detail.

keep us posted please!

best,

Mark
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 03:38 PM UTC
Well, I think I found where I'm going! right here!

John and Mark, thanks for looking and your comments!

As to the dio, the concept is now done!

Please take a look - At least Roy and his crew had the sense to radio ahead - to keep them from getting sawed down in their tracks by the three CROWS mounted .50 cals!

Roy and his crew might have underestimated this situation...or he's just that arrogant!

Meet Roy:

and his crew, Keelin and Bob:

and the patrol...

For a change, I had fun assembling and painting these figures - they were each really nice to start with - a variety of manufacturers of the figs and the acrylics -

next, the canopy - as it's so focal, it received a fair amount of attention -rusting and dirty dangling panels and wires:

and the signs - these look better in real life. I couldn't shoot them with no background!! they need only blue sky!! no luck....

And the inside - I made it a point to selectively skip or damage roof panels to let light in where I wanted it! I do want to see the debris!!

There you have it! this was a fun build - and im pleased with the results!

Ok - thanks for checking it out!

Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hold on! ... let me sit down! ... ... ... Un-B-lievable!!!!!!!

Nick, you've outdone yourself!

--mike
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 07:05 PM UTC

Oh, Nick, you are really pleased with the results, are you!!???!??

How could you..???? You should be proud of the results m8!!!

I personally admire your skills, but what is even more impressive is the fact that there are no weak spots in your dios!

You can look at them from any side you want....always the same high level! Your amazing scratch-building skills..!!
And inside the derelict station ...just the same! Broken tiles, superb choice of debris, perfect distribution of same....awesome!!

Even the figures have improved a huge lot! No more sheen, simple yet effective shading...well done m8!!

One can actually "see" the fun you had!!

You've set a high mark, now it's up to us to emulate you....yeah, and Santa does really exist!!!

Thanks for sharing this build with us...and so making our day(s)!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC
Whole lotta awesome!!! Tasty details where ever you look. Figures are getting a lot better as well. Nice positioning of them. Where can I meet a girl like that???
I did manage to find one tiny thing that popped me out of mt reality trance and that was the one sitting guy on the crate. His feet don't correspond with the ground.
Every new project of yours makes me more of a fan,
J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC
Wicked!!

What a great build and end result!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for checking it out!

Mike, thanks very much! You know, I finished this up so I could pay more attention to your new build!!! That's gonna be a cool one!

Mr Romain - aha - you are trying to fool me into slipping and taking it easy in the next one!!! It won't work! (Haha) I appreciate your comments very much. Your insight and advice along the way really helped - thanks!

Hi Jerry, thanks a lot - in particular, about the figures. I've paid attention to your comments on this build, my last, and of course on your builds - practice helps, and so does getting serious about making convincing figures! Thanks! As for the girl, I'll introduce you to her sister! Haha

Hi Ron - you're comment is great! Thanks! Yes, while I took the build pretty seriously, the concept was for fun! By admitting up front this was a concept, it allowed for lots of freedom - all around - the building, figures, and vehicles. The challenge, an out there idea, built in a convincing way - glad you like it!

Thanks for checking it out. Back to the drawing board now. I'm thinking heavy equipment being used in Afghanistan - maybe a village or wadi scene - I don't know yet.

Cheers
Nick
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 12:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers. Great work on the diorama...looks superb!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 10:22 PM UTC
Nick,

Simply awesome!!! it really tells a story.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi Nick

Wow, I missed a lot those last months.

What an incredibe build! Hard to say what I like most.
Let's say the superbly scratched vehicles. I envy you for those skills.

This is a superbe diorama, congrats, well done

Greets
Claude

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Peter, Matt and Claude -

Thanks guys for the comments! Who knows, maybe I'll do a companion to this project someday? Maybe some sort of remote, abandoned Cold War era compound?....something to think about - maybe modified MATVs to go along?

Later - cheers

Nick

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi Nick ,

i'm sorry for the late call

This is really amazing my friend . I have to say it once again that you've got the skills and talent to be one of the best diorama makers i've ever seen .

Allow me to say it like this ; You are a very complete modeler from vehicles to buildings to vegetation ....and yes even in figures you show us your great craftsmanship .

Thank you very much for sharing your work.

Cheers

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi Kurt - thanks for dropping by! I just got home from work, and read this! Made a mediocre day pretty good!

I appreciate your comments about dios - trying to learn to do all sorts if stuff - it does keep model building challenging...Ahhh figures. They just shouldn't be that hard to do!! Haha - they are tho!! Yes..I'm still working on it.

A great attribute of Armorama is the amount and variety of such a diverse collection of projects, scales, geographies, nationalities and backgrounds- there is lots to be learned here - which is very helpful, when it's late at night, and your just not sure how to mount a weapon, what rust actually looks like, how to up armor something or make a rock wall that looks like a rock wall - look around the forums and at a minimum you'll find something to get you headed in the right direction -

Cheers and waiting for your next post!
Nick
pzkw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 03:17 PM UTC
Just jumping into the middle of all these posts, but I'm pretty sure I've been to some actual working gas stations in worse shape! The dio looks great, especially the canopy. The red & white tiling inside the bldg is nice, but I think it needs to be more damaged - more cracked tiles, some that are just a partial tile. BUT OTHERWISE - really cool diorama!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 04:03 PM UTC
Nick. I agree with Kurt and the others. An awesome, and complete dio. I also agree with you reply regarding the mix of talents and examples here on this site to help inspire and challenge us all to do more and grow and improve.

I also have a thought about the dilemma's we sometime face in our modelling when we are confronted with an area we find particularly difficult to overcome. And in particular the area of figures.

Here's my thought... I wonder if perhaps figures get so many of us "off our game" or intimidate us more than other subjects do because of their being a representation of a living, breathing, soulful entity, and not just a collection of inanimate objects.

The fact that we are trying to, at extremely small scales I might add, render in plastic, resin and acrylics or oils, the emotions and feelings associated with events and situations we may have gone through or experienced ourselves is IMHO much more difficult then replicating rust, or grease stains, or bullet damage.

And then to add to that the subtle changes in skin tones due to any number of factors; temperature, stress, dietary issues etc. And on top of that, ethnic skintone differences, and so many more factors. Not to mention the myriad of intricacies involved in trying to give life to the eyes in 35th scale.

While it seems we all have our strengths and comfort zones in modelling, it is also clear we have our own weaknesses as well, and as has been said before the only way to get better is to challenge our fears and weak areas until they too become strengths.

That said, I think those that are truly masters at figures have a gift that many of wish we possessed, but may never have. And we need to acknowledge that too, and just do the best we can. Afterall, we can't all be Jerry Rutman's and Nick Haskell's or...insert genius level talents name here...

But that wouldn't be any fun either would it?

Just my Toonies worth anyway.

Love the work, can't wait for the next.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 12:22 PM UTC

Hi guys,

Dave's post is extremely interesting! There is actually true fear pervading as I see things!

I wonder why figures are THAT intimidating to so many people!

On the other hand, when I look at Dave's list of elements that should be taken into account/respected....I could maybe understand the reasons!

The "mistake" is to mix "figure painting" and "diorama figure painting"!!

As I do both I feel qualified to comment here

I paint single figures for very special occasions, such as

-personalized anniversary (o.s.) gift or museum order

-singularly attractive figure (I simply cannot resist)

For such a figure I go into great pains to get the best possible results out of this single item, such as 5-tone shading f.ex., while figures inserted in a scene are not the only item/element here.

The "classical" elements of a dio: terrain, the vehicles and the figures are all equal in importance, BUT, just as weathering has (or should have IMHO) its limits, we should not forget that we are depicting a scene "from a distance", and details disappear with distance.

So a 200mm figure is "a close-up" and a 20mm figure is a guy at 100+m distance.

Not to paint the eyes on the 200mm fig sounds odd, doesn't it, but painting the eyes on the wargame fig is just as odd!

Ask a friend to stand some 100+m away....and now you try to "see" his eyes (and what colour they are) ....even if you ask him to stand some 30+m away (1/35 simulation!!???, oh, don't shoot me if this is mathematically wrong, I'm just "guessing" ...and even then you won't be able to see much detail!

Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting we should ban shading, highlighting or lining..on the contrary! But a greater "distance" for me means a reduction in complexity, such as 3-tone shading instead of 5 f.ex.

What's even more important is that all elements of a dio (f.ex.) must be homogenous, i.e. roughly on the same level. That's the greatest difficulty in dio-building! Dioramas do not count among the hardest challenges for nothing!

For me there is no diorama without figures (exceptions may confirm the rule), so we must practice and practice!

And practice makes perfect....at least "perfect enough"!

So move over to your workbench....and start painting!!

I'll try to do the same over here!

Cheers for now!

Romain

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hello fellow model builders,

I think the three comments above tie back to a similar theme - how much is enough, and did you execute that decision equally across the project - all elements of the project that is.

Timothy, you could well be right about the tiles - I think your points are well taken, the level of decrepitude across the tile floor could have been higher. I opted for a bit of restraint. I can't say why, it just looked done. Where I did debate some regarding the "completion" of the area has to do with the debris pattern and not the tile. I could have added more debris across the tile close to the building's outside wall - except, I wanted to see that red tile floor! So, I rationalized a trail cut over the debris in this area - where various visitors had walked.

Dave - to your points about figures, I think this ties back to Romain's point about the project being "read" as a composition in it's entirety. Clearly I'm not speaking on behalf of others, but for me, I feel pretty good about vehicles, landscape and buildings - great!! Except, to Romain's point - (most) dios need figures!!! The recent exception being Kurt's WWI scene (which I like very much as a conceptual piece) which has an artist and his dog (or my imagination is taking over as I write this!), but some other dios "come to life" on some level with more than one figure, in key locations - Jerry R by the way, has raised many excellent points about the placement of figures (and does an excellent job at that) and how they contribute to the story being "shown".

And I think that's where my anxiousness stems from; the (my) belief that - poorly executed or placed figures can be so distracting!!! The rest of the dio appears to immediately fade to not at all great if the figures look bad....

Romain - I know you've long advocated very careful consideration of eyes and painting technique - and I've come to adhere to follow some of these points that at this scale, and for the purpose of a dio, the figures should become part of the context.

For example I shade they eyes/brow/socket rather than attempting to paint them - there is contrast with the rest of the face, and "read" as eyes - which is good for my figure painting skill set. I can practically guarantee that at this point in time, and my skills, that if I went for a higher level (?) degree(?) of painting complexity - they would take away from the project. Some day I might be good enough to really make those faces (really figures in general) "pop", but for now, I'm ok with demonstrating convincing realism!

Whew! Happy Friday!!
Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 01:28 AM UTC
I think Nick has stated in a round about way one of the very keys things in story telling(through a dio). You have to get the basic things correct first!!
The concept and then the arrangement of the objects on the base,are very important. If you don't get that right,then even if you are the detail master of the universe,the project will look "off".
Nick here,is one of the best dio guys I've ever seen even though,yes,if you look at his figs with a microscope,they aren't on par with Bill Horan or Shep Paine. In the end,after drooling over his scenes,you would scarcely even notice the eyes on the figs. I have shown his stuff to non model builders looking at the computer screen and they are convinced the scenes are reality. How much better do you need to get???

OK,now that Nicks' head has grown a few sizes I will remind him to fix the "sitting guy" so that his feet touch the ground.
Heeheehee
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK,now that Nicks' head has grown a few sizes I will remind him to fix the "sitting guy" so that his feet touch the ground.
Heeheehee
J

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
Jerry!!!! I was so busy droolling I didn't even notice the guys feet!

Romain and Jerry are spot on about the total picture and composition, as well Romain your safe advise concerning scale and depth if field as it were.

I was writing my post while I should have been sleeping, and had thought I had covered all the bases.

Nick is correct as well with your words of wisdom regarding overall symmetry within the given context.

All around great advice from some all around great modellers.

An no I was not calling anyone fat!!!

Cheers and like Nick and Romain said.... Get working.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was writing my post while I should have been sleeping, ...

Sleep?! What do you think you are thinking?!!!

Once again ... fantastic job!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 09:04 PM UTC
Happy Nick day,
J