Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dragon DS tracks disintegrating/splitting?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC
I might try asking Dragoncare for replacements, but I'm now in the US and bought the kit last year in Germany...

Worth a try I guess.

Cheers,

Christophe
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 03:19 AM UTC
Have opened a ticket with Dragoncare, will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Christophe
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 03:46 AM UTC

Hi Christophe, please keep us informed. Of course this is very interesting matter for all of us, how to manage this problem and how Dragoncare will reply.

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Since this thread evolved (devolved? ) into a discussion about other manufacturers' flexible tracks, I have to say that I had a problem with the tracks on my Tasca "Akuyaku" similar to Christopher's issue with the DML DS tracks.

The Tasca tracks started to crack and break apart with any amount of tension on them, and the styrene "cleats" that were supposed to be glued to the main tracks would never stay attached no matter what glue I used. All of this before any paint. In fact, I never even got to the painting stage with the kit.

I'm sorry to say that this is the only kit in the last 30 years or so that I've totally given up on. Had to stuff it all back in the box and stick it on the shelf (probably should have binned it).

I'm not impressed at all with these new "glueable" flexible tracks no matter who the manufacturer is.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since this thread evolved (devolved? ) into a discussion about other manufacturers' flexible tracks, I have to say that I had a problem with the tracks on my Tasca "Akuyaku" similar to Christopher's issue with the DML DS tracks.

Interesting, I built that Tasca kit and had some issues at the time, although I managed to make repairs.

Cheers,

Christophe
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
I've solved all these problems by simply avoiding rubberband tracks altogether. If I have my way I will never use another one again (but I rarely get my way anymore)

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've solved all these problems by simply avoiding rubberband tracks altogether. If I have my way I will never use another one again (but I rarely get my way anymore)

Sounds good, but I really don't want to put out Fruils or any AM tracks on every project that don't have MT. And as I mentioned before zero problems with my five builds with DS tracks.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same here and to me rubber band type tracks belong in the 60s and 70s. I hate the things and they're just so toy like too.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Same here and to me rubber band type tracks belong in the 60s and 70s. I hate the things and they're just so toy like too.

Please don't compare Dragon DS tracks with 60's - 70's "rubber band" tracks. Dragon's tracks, when they're not falling apart , are actually quite nice.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Please don't compare Dragon DS tracks with 60's - 70's "rubber band" tracks. Dragon's tracks, when they're not falling apart , are actually quite nice.

But what's the difference? The only difference I can see is they might be a bit easier to glue. Other than that they're still unrealistic bands.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But what's the difference? The only difference I can see is they might be a bit easier to glue. Other than that they're still unrealistic bands.

Not sure if you ever built a kit from the 1970's but those tracks had a bad tendency to flake paint off like it was no bodies business. I think Italeri tracks are the worse!

I've built two Tasca kits and I haven't had any problems with their tracks splitting on me
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You certainly are entitled to your opinion,but actually they dress up pretty good,their not Fruils,but they are NOT the same as the old vinyl stuff.And I wouldn't call my builds with DS tracks toylike or unrealistic at all.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You certainly are entitled to your opinion,but actually they dress up pretty good,their not Fruils,but they are NOT the same as the old vinyl stuff.And I wouldn't call my builds with DS tracks toylike or unrealistic at all.

I don't think I've ever had a set of rubberbands that would keep paint on them. Admittedly, they were from somewhat older kits. But living in a small apartment as I do, I've made a choice to work pretty much only with acrylics, and I have yet to meet a rubberband that would keep acrylics on.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't think I've ever had a set of rubberbands that would keep paint on them. Admittedly, they were from somewhat older kits. But living in a small apartment as I do, I've made a choice to work pretty much only with acrylics, and I have yet to meet a rubberband that would keep acrylics on.

Yea but DS ain't rubber band tracks,they paint up fine with Tamiya.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:29 AM UTC
Wish you'd all stop saying 'rubber band'! :-)

Anyone old enough to remember when it *literally* WAS a band of rubber? Check out this Nichimo Abbot from around 1970. Those bad boys are held together with staples! I also had a motorized Tamiya SU100 and Walker Bulldog with *real* rubber tracks!

alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi, well I have the Panther A with Ds, and paint it only in the joint area with S.Williams "Now" spray paint and appears to be that the track not show any damage.

So, I will paint the entire track with the same paint.

NOTE : I try to joint one full track with Metil Etil Cetone and I was very carefull, BUT 2 or 3 teeths was lost, due the agresive "glue".Of course its can be hide by one wheel....

Its my experience until now.

Regards, from the south.
Alvaro
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 04:02 PM UTC
It has been a problem with rubber and vynil tires also. On my Italeri Opel, the rubber tires turned soft and melted the rims. Second replacement set did the same thing before they were painted. And the tires on my Tamiya L.R.D.G. chevy truck just split in half within a few months, not even painted. After talking it over with a friend we belive the problem comes from an uncompatable chemical reation with in the rubber or vynil tracks/tires. But this problem does not happen all the time. It could be just a batch of mixed chemicals not being 100% in accordance with mixture amounts. People and computers do have bad days. So now when I build a kit which is rare, I will order resin tires or find a set of plastic tracks ect. Cost prohibative most of the times and time consuming to clean and build up indy plastic tracks for me but I don't want to go through the headaches or frustration anymore. And by the way, Dragon customer service leaves very, very much to be desired, unlke MasterBox who goes all the way to fix problems and keep me coming back as a customer. bob d.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They might take paint better yes and might be easier to glue but apart from those 2 things they still look exactly the same as rubber band tracks. I think manufacturers like Dragon should at least include them as an option and not as the main tracks. I think all manufacturers should include indie links or link and length in this day and age as the first option but include band type tracks for those that want them too.

At the moment it seems to be one or the other so you then have to look around to buy extra tracks which can be a bit of a pain.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They might take paint better yes and might be easier to glue but apart from those 2 things they still look exactly the same as rubber band tracks. I think manufacturers like Dragon should at least include them as an option and not as the main tracks. I think all manufacturers should include indie links or link and length in this day and age as the first option but include band type tracks for those that want them too.

At the moment it seems to be one or the other so you then have to look around to buy extra tracks which can be a bit of a pain.

Simply not true,there is no comparison to the look of a vinyl track from the 70's and a Dragon DS Track.

For the record,I prefer MT's and Fruils,just not spending extra money on every DS track I have.Believe me,if they looked and acted like the tracks I got in my vintage Tamiya kits,they would be gone.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Simply not true,there is no comparison to the look of a vinyl track from the 70's and a Dragon DS Track.

For the record,I prefer MT's and Fruils,just not spending extra money on every DS track I have.Believe me,if they looked and acted like the tracks I got in my vintage Tamiya kits,they would be gone.

I've got old vinyl and rubber tracks plus DS ones and when I put them side by side there ain't much difference apart from the colour. They're bands like the old ones.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I might try asking Dragoncare for replacements, but I'm now in the US and bought the kit last year in Germany...

Worth a try I guess.

Cheers,

Christophe

Dragoncare got back to me by email, they asked for a photo of the dammaged tracks and a receipt for my purchase. I explained I didn't have the later, bought the kit in Germany more than a year ago. So I sent them a pic of the box that still has the price sticker from Modellbau Meile in Berlin, hoping that is enough. Will keep you posted in any case.

From now on i'm keeping all my receipts of my kit purchases. Now just have to find a way to hide this from my wife...

Cheers,

Christophe
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now just have to find a way to hide this from my wife...

Cheers,

Christophe

this is heavy ! I have the same problem...
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Worth a try I guess.

Cheers,

Christophe

Dragoncare got back to me by email, they asked for a photo of the dammaged tracks and a receipt for my purchase. I explained I didn't have the later, bought the kit in Germany more than a year ago. So I sent them a pic of the box that still has the price sticker from Modellbau Meile in Berlin, hoping that is enough. Will keep you posted in any case.

From now on i'm keeping all my receipts of my kit purchases. Now just have to find a way to hide this from my wife...

Cheers,

Christophe

I wouldn't bother Christophe. See if someone like AFV Club do any replacement links. I've just used their links on 2 Shermans and they're easy to use.

The hardest part is starting them but once you get into the swing of things they come together surprisingly quicly. I do one lower run one night, one top run the next night then the follwing 2 runs on the follwing nights. Then once the tracks are dry you can do the end sprocket links etc.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 02:19 AM UTC
For that kit it's allright (sort of, I paid more than 50 euros for it) and I have aftermarket tracks, but I have other Dragon kits with DS tracks and I hope I won't have problems with everyone of them.

Cheers,

Christophe
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 11:43 PM UTC
Just got the good news from Dragoncare, they are sending me a replacement set of tracks!

Cheers,

Christophe