_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HUE TeT 1968
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I've finally made up my mind and now start the topic around my latest (and probably last) diorama project. I must warn you guys that this is still very much WIP, so don't expect anything to be completed...and be lenient, will you!!

The setting is the old Imperial town of HUE in central Vietnam, a scene of violent urban combat during the 1968 TeT offensive.

Just to "locate" the diorama on the map...it is the residential area south of the Perfume river, the zone where the administrative elites had their villas (recuperated from the french colonial administrators and accredited ambassadors when they left).

HUE was roughly divided into 2 different "towns", the one south of the Perfume reaching down to the Phu Cam canal, called the "modern city" (strong french influence) and the part north of the Perfume, dominated by the old Imperial citadel and Palace.

The NVA in their surprise attack took most of the town (except for 2 "Alamoes", the barracks + airfield of the South Vietnamese forces ( 1st ARVN division) inside the citadel perimeter....and on the south bank the MACV compound (advisory team 3), both able to resist the attacks until the relief force joined up.

There weren't many units available for a counter attack, and so the task fell to the Marines from the sprawling base of Phu Bai (some 10 miles south of HUE).

For those interested in more details I can only recommend Eric Hammel's excellent book "Marines in HUE City".

Back to the diorama....the idea for a little vignette is more than 15 years old..and was intended to incorporate (roughly) half a dozen figures behind a stretch of wall, firing overhead and (maybe) recovering one WIA to place him on a mule for a medevac....one small tree, a bit of exotic vegetation...et voilà!

And then the idea was "forgotten", and other projects moved in the foreground!

And then Vladi Demtchenko started his series of irresistible figures...and the idea came to the surface again! A quick check provided more interesting figures ...and the small project quickly evolved into a sort of monster thing, as you will discover for yourselves!

Have fun!

A quick sketch of the "new" layout:

The size was set at 3 modules, each 120x40 cm, together producing a square of 120cm edge length. This made sure the dio could still be transported in a (more or less) normal car.

The modules are 1cm strong particle board with a 35mm layer of pink Styrodur foam. I needed these 35mm in order to provide an "anchor" for the alley trees!

The "villa" (just as most of the diorama) is completely scratched, except for the ballustrade elements of the terrace/balcony, which are from MecModels (Mark was extremely friendly and helpful! Thanks m8!).

The man responsible for the buildings is of course my old buddy Leo. I draw the plans..and he builds.

That's part of our teamwork: he produces the buildings and builds the vehicles......and I am responsible for the painting/weathering, the terrain and the figures!

And so the Saga began...

More of this in my next post!

Cheers

Romain

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:27 PM UTC
Hi Romain ,

i'm very glad to see you creating this thread . It looks very promising already and the lay out is top notch m8. I am sure that this project is not easy to build so i'm very curious to see progress .....the heat is on !

But the fact that you are posting your work is a big Hurray worth for sure !
Wishing you a lot of fun and succes my friend !

Kurt
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Romain!
Finally!!! This is what I have been waiting for.
This is going to be wonderfull to watch!

please keep us posted here on Armorama, you are both doing a brilliant job on this!

best regards
Mark
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 04:53 PM UTC
Good Morning Romain!
This looks to be promising,like you when I saw the Bravo 6 Tet marines I just had to have them knowing that something would happen 'in the future'!!
Which figures are you planning to use?
Great start!

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 05:37 PM UTC
Great project Romain. Keeping my eyes on your posts. good luck
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 05:44 PM UTC
Hi Romain,

Finally!!!!
Congratulations.

Knowing which hard times you face, I only admire your steps.

Thanks for sharing,

P.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC
Hi Romain,

A nice Sunday morning surprise! Glad you decided to go public and share your 'Hue' project with the Peanut Gallery!

I get the feeling some amazing work is about to ensue! Thank you for sharing!

Hope you're doing well. Looking forward.

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:05 PM UTC
Gooooood Morningggg Vietnammmmm!!!
Hey bubba,glad to see you came to a decision about this. Good to see you starting this here and I am happy because you had some trepidation and decided (rightly) to ignore it.
NICE!!!! I can already imagine your excellent skill with scratchbuilding structures,foliage and painting figs all coming into fruition right before our eyes on the thread.
My buddy down south would say "This is gonna be a good'un".
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC

Hi my dear friends!!

You cannot possibly imagine how much I value your positive comments and your support!!

It's definitely warming my heart!!

But now...as promised..some more pics of the WIP "villa", showing progress step by step:

So far it was all Leo's work, but now I had to think of windows and shutters. Fortunately, there is a laser technology that enables us to work miracles!

I took my drawings to the company and they produced beautiful terrace window-doors and corresponding shutters as well as "regular" shutters for the normal windows.

And the result is (front and backside)..

More in my next post...so stay tuned!

Cheers

Romain

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:50 PM UTC
Made my day! Huge smile on my face and my jaw hitting the floor!!!

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:11 PM UTC
You know how much I love buildings and you have made me very happy here as you captured the French Colonial look spot on. Wowser!
J
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC
WOW! Just staggering...
Following along on this one, for sure.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
There we go! I was hoping to see a build from you Romain. And I think I got that and more, because this is one hell of a project, those buildings are incredible, and I know the figures will be as well!

Following closely!

-Conor
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:58 PM UTC
Oh yes , that's a very nice building for sure !

So congratulations to the both of you . Keep the level high m8 and this diorama will blow us away......(in the possitive meaning )

Cheers ,

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Romain - great to see you posting this!! The work is beautiful and I will follow this! A real tour de force for you and Leo 😀😃😀

Cheers
Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:00 PM UTC

Hi guys,

it's really awfully nice of you to comment so positively on the HUE project!

As you seem to like it ( ) I send a couple more piccies, OK?

First one shows Leo (with the usual can of beer ) as we are making pencil marks on the boards for the overall layout.

and a couple of pics showing the small house on the other side of the road, first being after basic build, second after my painting and weathering

Next step was the sidewalk (or "trottoir" as the french say).

We had intended to build it from commerically available tiles that would have to be inscribed to this waffle-weave pattern you see on period photographs, but Leo said he could do it faster in Selitron....and so we did!

More later!!

Cheers

Romain

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:27 PM UTC
Holy crap that's impressive. The house and trottoir look fantastic, hard to believe all that is scratch built. You & your buddy must be having a good time, modeling & beers

Great show, sir!

-Conor
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:01 AM UTC
Oh boy, this will be huge! Tet is something I always wanted to model, very interesting topic and with Bravo6 figures even more appealing...

Looking forward to your progress, keep us posted.

Mario
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC

@ Steve:

you asked which figures I was planning to use....well, I ust say that the figures are already painted (at least most of them...with Vladi you never know..!!!

So there are about 100 odd figures for the entire dio, most of them are Bravo6 and Hobby Fan, but a lot of figures are extensive conversions from different sources mainly (but not exclusively) from Dragon's Vietnam and WW2 Marines sets. More of this later!

Cheers

Romain

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
Looks amazing Romain!!!
Ironically I was going to ask you were we could see pics of this project.Leo seems to be a master at buildings.A can of beer or 2 is well worth the craftsmanship.
Keep them coming,this is well worth following.

Tom
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:52 AM UTC
Great stuff! Looking forward to following the build!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC

Thanks guys,

your comments are much appreciated indeed!

And yes, this project (like the other biggies before) would not be possible without Leo!!

Not only is he a champ at building things from Selitron, he is also a good and loyal friend. This friendship is what keeps us going!

And now as promised...a few pics:

Layout as planned with the first segment of road. The road is made of coarse abrasive paper.

and from the other side with a bit of progress

and a little closer

one of my trees..

and here come the first good guys...a bunch of corpsmen rushing to assist the WIA. All of these figures are extensive conversions using parts from too many sources to tell!

More later!

Cheers

Romain

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi Romain ,

very impressive work so far and i like the figgies too ! This will be a very dynamic scene and i love it !

Again ,congrats m8 for the both of you !

Looking forward to more...

Kurt !
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Romain ,

very impressive work so far and i like the figgies too ! This will be a very dynamic scene and i love it !

Again ,congrats m8 for the both of you !

Looking forward to more...

Kurt !

Thanks a lot m8!!

Glad you like it!!

Cheers

Romain

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm due back to hospital and I thought I'd post some more pics to bridge the gap!

The corpsmen from another angle..and yes, the pink foam blocks I used to support the figs while the glue was setting are gone!

A couple of weary guys taking ten behind the small house

Some of the Marines have already cleared the ditch

A good example for the mishmash of plastic and resin parts, paper and lead foil, and of course body putty used to produce my corpsmen

More later!

Hope you like!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP