Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HUE TeT 1968
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 01:54 PM UTC
How have I missed this? Wow. I'll comment again later but right now Im going to just enjoy the photos so far. Brilliant.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hi Romain,

Good luck in hospital my friend! Hang in there!

Brilliant pictures, just love 'em!

all the best,

Mark
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:07 PM UTC
Looks great. Very ambitious project and great progress so far.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 04:27 PM UTC
When I looked at this yesterday there was the start of the big building- it looked awesome but today the build has turned into a epically sized jaw dropper! You and your friend have truly inspiring skills Romain- from the intricate architectural details to the foliage, soldiers uniforms and the weathering of the buildings. There is so much to see already and a great deal can be learned from the excellent step by step account.

I wish you the very best with this amazing build Romain !
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 05:00 PM UTC
Brilliant work once again Romain, the figures are second to none, bet it took you a life time to make lol keep it up as I cant wait to see the finished work!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 05:02 PM UTC

Hej guys,

so nice of you to comment in such a favourable way!!

Glad you like our dio, even if it still is WIP!

I thought I should perhaps concentrate a little more on the figures this time...hope you agree!!

So this is the conversion level:

And a little more in detail..

And the end of the evolutionary process

and "in situ"

The painting is nothing special. Individual figures displayed on a separate base would require a far better job, but this is a diorama situation, where the figures are only one element of many.

For this purpose the 3-tone shading is good enough!

Hope you like!

More later..!!

Cheers

Romain

P.S.: sorry for the inverted pics!! I tried to correct this, (don't know how it happened in the first place!!), but apparently the computer is more stubborn than I am!!
I'm not amused!!!!!!!!

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 08:00 PM UTC
Holy crap man!! That is turning out really nice. I love the conversions. Those trees there are old friends,I think? Seen them before? Nice to see medics/corpsmen in a scene for once. Vital part of any combat op,unfortunately.
You are really capturing the "feel". Buildings are awesome as well. You and your pal make a superb team.
Now go and kick the hospitals' butt and get back to work on this! Das ist streng befehl!!
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 09:19 PM UTC
Holy crap dude, that's intense. You've now got this to back up all your knowledge and advice on other blogs! Because wow. The sense of movement among all those chaps alone is beyond impressive, and the way you get the depth and tone out of the simple drab color is amazing. I think that shade of green is harder to modulate than Field grey. The conversions too are impressive. I really like this one, sir.

I'm hooked.

-Conor
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
Nam is not my era.... but man, this is impressive!
You make it look so easy. The figures, the buildings... especially those!
Can you tell us more about those? What do you use for references? How do you plan, scale up or down, cut and construct?
I have a T-54 with NVA lying around for an Easter Offensive dio, so I really would like to know more!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC

@Jerry: so glad you like the corpsmen! I share your view that they are under-represented in dioramas! And that's not all...wait for the others!!

The trees are made according to my old method...twig+steel wool+foliage (and you know the foliage material, don't you! )

Leo is fantastic! Wait until you see his Ontos....!!

We are a great team indeed! Our tempers are so different that we complement each other perfectly! His patience and my madness can produce wonderful things!

In the meantime the hospital staff are my good friends! I'm not complaining and they are happy to have an easygoing patient!

@Conor:

hi m8! depth in colour is nothing you couldn't learn easily, believe me!!

And the movement in my figures is inspired by the photos you can (fortunately) find on the net! The rest is....wait for a good day and go for it!!!!!

@Ron: the buildings are inspired by the french colonial style (for the villa) and the vietnamese way (for the small house). Both can be found on numerous websites. If you are interested, I can send you the URLs. Just drop me a PM, OK!

What made me very proud is a reaction from a vietnamese guy I'm in contact with. He confirmed that the small house is spot on!

The villa was planned in no time. A couple of issues had to be taken into account:

1) the space on the dio is limited
2) the size must be impressive enough to represent a villa!!

From there..and with Mark's decorative ballustrade elements...the plan was drawn quickly!

I'm still impressed by the sheer size of the thing (and so is Leo!! )

Hope that helps!

More later...

Cheers

Romain

pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC
Very nice to see this coming together. The skill and craftsmanship are stunning. Are all the architectural pieces like the fence and rails on the big building scratch built.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
Holy Crap, Romain!

This is an awesome project. The scenery is spot on and I appreciate the attention to detail you paid to getting the building right. The figure poses are outstanding and very lifelike and dynamic. Like Jerry, I think it is great that you are incorporating the Corpsmen so well in your diorama.

There are some equipment issues, but only a geardo nerd like me would notice them and they do not take away from the overall effectiveness of the scene. The way you have grouped the figures, the viewer could easily visualize themselves among those Marines. I am very impressed.

Over the years I have had all kinds of ideas for large dioramas, but have never brought any to fruition, but you have done something I think many of us would love to do, but have been hesitant to do so because of the massive scope of it all. I commend you for embarking on this undertaking and it turning out so well so far. I eagerly await the completion of this awesome diorama.

Keep up the great work!

cheers,
James
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice to see this coming together. The skill and craftsmanship are stunning. Are all the architectural pieces like the fence and rails on the big building scratch built.

Apart from the 7 decorative ballustrade fence elements (easily spotted because they are not light green! ) everything you see so far is scratched! After all, the window-doors and shutters are also my design!

Cheers

Romain

flasharry
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC
Wow this is looking absolutely brilliant! Love the Vietnam era and this is bang up there with the best of dioramas I've ever seen! Really looking forward to seeing the progress as your talent is amazing! well done good sir 😊
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy Crap, Romain!

There are some equipment issues, but only a geardo nerd like me would notice them and they do not take away from the overall effectiveness of the scene. The way you have grouped the figures, the viewer could easily visualize themselves among those Marines. I am very impressed.

Over the years I have had all kinds of ideas for large dioramas, but have never brought any to fruition, but you have done something I think many of us would love to do, but have been hesitant to do so because of the massive scope of it all. I commend you for embarking on this undertaking and it turning out so well so far. I eagerly await the completion of this awesome diorama.

Keep up the great work!

cheers,
James

Hi James,

could you perhaps be a bit more specific about those "equipment issues".

I think I know what you mean, but it would be interesting to check if we are on the same page!

I was surprised to learn that the Marines still had a lot of the WW2 stuff in use!

Moreover, it seems like the corpsmen improvised a number of "belts" with all kinds of pouches for their bandages!

So I was inclined to accept a little "artistic license"...but I may have gone over the top..who knows!!!

Cheers

Romain

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:47 AM UTC
Romain, I have said it before to a couple other guys here ( you know who they are), but this work of yours is truly some of the best stuff I've seen! The two of you do indeed complement each other and it is an incredible vision you're putting together in this one.

I pray for a speedy and incident free hospital stay M8!

In the meantime I wil wait mostly patiently for the next update

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:47 AM UTC
God I completely missed the hospital comments, wishing you the best Romain, the staff should be honored to have such a talented guy in their presence!

-Conor
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Holy Crap, Romain!

Keep up the great work!

cheers,
James

Hi James,

could you perhaps be a bit more specific about those "equipment issues".

I think I know what you mean, but it would be interesting to check if we are on the same page!

I was surprised to learn that the Marines still had a lot of the WW2 stuff in use!

Moreover, it seems like the corpsmen improvised a number of "belts" with all kinds of pouches for their bandages!

So I was inclined to accept a little "artistic license"...but I may have gone over the top..who knows!!!

Cheers

Romain

Most of the equipment is plausible as either field modifications or actual equipment items. The things that stood out to me as being from the wrong time period is the canteen cover on the medic carrying the duffle bag in his left hand. The style of canteen cover of the left canteen is of a style that did not come into being until the 1980's. The horizontal stitching is the indicator. The proper one's would have vertical stitching whether 1960s era or earlier items that the USMC had. The medical backpack he is wearing is also of a later time period - late 1990's to early 2000's. A kit that does have the proper one is the Dragon Special Forces kit of the guys wearing BDUs.

The pouch that is on the right side of the claymore bag on the prone M60 gunner looks like a pocket to a rucksack. I doubt that would be made into a pouch, but you never know.

One viewing such a large diorama may not notice those things, but since I have most of the real gear and being that Vietnam is a subject that I model a lot, I notice stuff like that.

Other than that, you are doing one heck of a job with this diorama. The guy helping with the buildings is doing excellent, too. I saw more pictures of this on the MEC Models Facebook page (it is the same diorama, right?) and this is the most excellent diorama I have seen in regards to the layout and figure placement and posing. Don't worry too much about my comments about the canteen cover the few other items that are not of this time period because they are not very noticeable and the audience is going to be in so much awe at the massiveness and effectiveness of this diorama that small stuff like that won't be noticeable.

I just saw the stuff about you having to go into the hospital for a while. I hope it is uneventful and that you kick whatever you are going into the hospital for in the butt and get well soon. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Keep up the great work.
Cheers,
James
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:44 PM UTC
Romain, maybe you could share more info about how you guys work and your process in general? Im so impressed about how fast everything moves along and how easy you make it look!
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:21 PM UTC
Fantastic work Romain,

Keep the images coming.

Thanks
Michael
walley54
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 06:30 PM UTC
Romain, totally in awe of this diorama. I do strictly Vietnam War modeling and am totally impressed with this project. have been planning to do a Hue City diorama for a while now, and you have inspired me to move the project to the front burner. Looking forward to following your progress, and good luck with your hospital visit. Any thought of producing the buildings for sale purposes? I have no doubt they would be great sellers.
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:26 AM UTC
This is turning out great! I cannot wait to see the finished product. Looking forward to more pictures!

Ryan
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:57 AM UTC
Just incredible Romain,
I haven't been so into a dio sense Adams "Aussie in Iraq".
Look forward everyday to your updates.
All the best with your hospital visit.
While you rest keep Leo working.

Tom
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Romain, maybe you could share more info about how you guys work and your process in general? Im so impressed about how fast everything moves along and how easy you make it look!

Hi Johan,

We will gladly, as there is no secret! Just ask questions, and we will post the answers.
Don't let yourself be fooled.......we are not producing these things while we post.
Work on this project started ages ago. Of course we are still WIP and toiling on other parts....and they will be posted later.

Cheers

Romain

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi guys,

First of all i'd like to thank you for the encouraging words and the good wishes.
Unfortuntely, the one night chemo turned into a full week of hospital.
When they built the AKH Internet was not yet an issue...and of course it was pre-mobile as well......and this makes posting awkward (to say the least).

So keep posting...it warms my heart ..but please be patient for my replies!
Thanks in advance!!!!

Cheers

Romain