_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrush ?
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hello everyone! I know this is going to frustrate most of you out there seeing another post about choosing an airbrush. I have searched on this site quite a bit before posting this but I have not been able to answer this question that I have. First let me say that I have never used an airbrush in my 40 years of modeling so I'm a newbee at this juncture. I have made the decision to purchase the Iwata powerjet + handle compressor as my air supply.My question is for the brush in which my choice is the Iwata brand but what do you guy's do for priming and base coat and then for fine lines and camouflage work? Is there a model out there that can do both or do I need to purchase 2 separate models like a single action for spraying large areas and a double action for more detailed work? I can't find this answer anywhere! Help!!! javascript:PasteSmiley(':-?')

Thanks guy's
dommy20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:39 AM UTC
Well, it's like anything, there are areas of specialization. You can have an airbrush that does fine line work, an airbrush that does large area coverage, or an airbrush that does a little bit of both but isn't necessarily great at either. I had a Paasche H model, double action, that came with three different sized needle/tip combos for fine, medium, wide work. That was pretty versatile. I currently use an Iwata HP-C+, it only came with one needle/tip that is good for fine line work, but there are probably other sizes available.
That being said, I did recently watch a youtube video by Paul Budzik that explained the problem with priming using a regular airbrush, and demonstrated the benefits of using one designed for large area coverage. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-v7-Wp6no
Very informative.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:13 AM UTC
Thank you Dominic! This video answers this nagging question I've had! So If I'm understanding you and this video correctly I need 2 different type brushes to get optimum results and that what you guy's are doing it.I was hoping that wasn't the case because of the additional cost but it was my assumption that it indeed does require 2 different tools.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:26 AM UTC
It's not a necessity. An Iwata HP-C+ is an excellent airbrush to start with. It will paint fine camo patterns, reasonably fine lines, but opened wide it easily handles base coats. It's also an excellent brush to learn on and perfect your technique.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:51 AM UTC
Thanks Matthew! That happens to be one of the models I have been honing in on. What size tip are you using? I intend to use Vallejo acrylic paints and Mig colors?
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:58 AM UTC
I have to admit that I am still struggling with which model Iwata brush to choose,their are so many choices! More input on this subject would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Matthew! That happens to be one of the models I have been honing in on. What size tip are you using? I intend to use Vallejo acrylic paints and Mig colors?

The .35mm needle is the most versatile.
Tank178
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 04:33 AM UTC
I am by no means a painting, much less an airbrushing expert, but when I got into using airbrushes somewhere between 12-15 years ago, I first bought a Testors Aztek A470 which is an internal mix, double-action airbrush with a nozzle system with interchangeable nozzles for different applications. I used this airbrush up until about 2 years ago when I bought a Badger Renegade airbrush. I use my Aztec for wide area and the Badger for detail work. I have a dual valve set up on my compressor so that I just have to rotate the valve depending on which airbrush I am using. This set up works pretty well for me and it saves setup time. You can find the Aztecs on eBay pretty cheaply, even for some old, but never used. Migh
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 06:34 AM UTC
Google Don Wheeler's airbrush site,he has a lot of reviews,conparisons,and info on airbrushes.Very helpful.He even offers a small e-book.

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/
dommy20
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So If I'm understanding you and this video correctly I need 2 different type brushes to get optimum results and that what you guy's are doing it.

I wouldn't say that you NEED two different airbrushes, it's just that some are more suited to particular tasks than others. I personally don't think I'm going to go buy a third airbrush just for priming. I still have my Paasche H but the compressor that I use for it is dead and I don't have another nozzle set up for it. In the meantime I use my Iwata for everything.

Now, would I LIKE a fancy airbrush just for priming? Sure! Do I NEED one? YES!! Am I going to get one? Sadly, no.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hiya Craig,

My 2 cents:

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS is a fabulous Airbrush! There is nothing you can't do with it. Primer, Paint, Gloss, Dull/Flat coat, Enamels, Acrylics, & Lacquers. I also use it for fine line and tight soft edge two tone and tri-camo patterns. It is the best AB ive ever used and is the best investment towards modeling i ever made.

The HP-C+ is a Fantastic AB as well. I use a Iwata Sprint Jet compressor and it works wonderfully and is about half the price of the big one you mentioned.

http://www.merriartist.com/Iwata_Eclipse_Airbrush_p/i-ecl-4500.htm

http://www.merriartist.com/Iwata_Sprint_Jet_Airbrush_Compressor_p/is-800.htm

Hope that helps.

Gary
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 12:43 PM UTC
Thank you all for replying to my questions it is really helping me figure out what to purchase! I have watched the video's that you have recommended and followed the links you presented WOW! Just great! That Iwata HP-CS that you mentioned Gary seems like it would be a great place to start out as I see it has the ability to spray a fine line out to 2" wide spray pattern. That will do what I had hoped I could do in purchasing 1 brush instead of 2. I'm sure it would make a nice place to start for a beginner to start building some airbrush skills. I looked at the less expensive Iwata sprint jet compressor and that would save me some cash but I've been reading about the need to have a tank so you don't get surge and uneven pressure but for what I want to use this for is the extra expense of having a tank combo really necessary??

Another Question I have is I want to purchase the Vallejo military paint set but it isn't Vallejo airbrush paint ,can I use this paint and just thin it down?? Why I ask is for the same reason as the brushes do I need 2 different paint viscosities on for brush and another for airbrush?/ Again I hope not!

Thanks again everybody for all your advise and patience with an old guy just breaking into this hobby,I'm sure I will have many more, sorry guy's!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hiya Craig. If i had extra money to burn a hole in my pocket, i would get the nice big Iwata Compressor which would be awesome. However, ive not had an issue with maintaining pressure with the one i have. If the compressor (My Sprint jet) is running and shows 15psi. on the gauge, you can expect the reading to show lower....around 10-12 psi pressure when you spray (Working pressure) with the Airbrush. So you just adjust pressure accordingly. Fine line around 6-8 psi and for priming and paint anywhere from 12 to 20 psi depending on the Paint and viscosity. Hope im not confusing ya.

Vallejo makes a few different lines of Acrylic paint. Model Color, Model Air for Airbrushing only, Game Color for Miniatures and Panzer Aces which is basically Model Color in military colors options. Vallejo also make several Colored Primers, but i dont use them.

I use Vallejo Model Color for hand brushing details and for figures - i thin it a bit with Distilled water for brush painting. It can be sprayed thru your Airbrush if thinned with Windshield Wiper Fluid. Vallejo Model Air is just pour and spray - its very thin already.

Just remember that it takes practice to get comfy with your setup but with lots of practice it will become second nature......AND YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!

Regards,
Gary
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:27 AM UTC
Thanks Gary for the input! and to the rest of you out there in helping me wade through the vast volumes of choices we have available to us modelers,we didn't have so many options available when I was a kid, you just picked out of maybe 5 and went from there, know it's 5,000. Thats mind boggling and wonderful at the same time!
pbudzik
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:36 PM UTC
Just happened to stumble on this thread. Because of the volume and type of questions that I have received, I am putting together 4 videos about airbrushing. One of them will cover recommendations for airbrush selections. I've had some very good technical input from Iwata and Coast Airbrush ... I think most modelers will find it informative.

To the point of this thread ... non of the airbrushes that I see mentioned will do what a small gun or large pattern airbrush will do. I actually own and use a very large selection of Iwata airbrushes and guns and I can tell you, when you give your finish a good up close look, there is a world of difference when you use the right tool for the job. It is so common to see an image of a gloss coated model with orange peel. The end result is that type of rough finish softens detail. My video on spray guns and large airbrushes will outline the basic types and hopefully make selection easier. So if you're not in a hurry, or if you are contemplating buying one of these, I'd suggest waiting a bit.

Paul

http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/Airbrushing/airbrushing_for_modelers.html
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:49 AM UTC
Thanks Paul for the reply! I am not in a great hurry and continuing my research on this matter. I will say I have come to a pretty solid choice on my first airbrush purchase being an Iwata HP-CS 35mm and also purchase the 5mm conversion kit for this airbrush. I also have narrowed my compressor choice to 2 models being the 850 jet model or the next model up with the air tank in the handle. I'm still hemming and hawing over this but will probably go with the handle tank model as a better long term investment. I continue to look forward to others posting on this subject,it helps so much! Information is key and wisdom even better! I will check out your info on your link, thank you for participating in my quest for information. I see that my post has received hundreds of views but so few reply, I imagine this because it is a rudimentary question that the more experienced modelers are tired of responding to this kind of question as I see many similar threads posted but none of them answered my question, hence my post. Thanks to all of you that have responded to this thread and as I continue to look for your much appreciated and valuable 2 cents!

Craig
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hey Craig, Some modelers love to help Newbies others and get them set on the right path. I was lucky to have a mentor get me started in the right direction and therefore i learned more in 3 years than i coulda learned in 10 years on my own, So i say pay it forward fella. You ask a Question and the right people will eventually chime in with plenty of info and help. Never hesitate to ask questions.....you will learn much quicker

Regards,
Gary
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:16 AM UTC
Thanks Gary! I do try to search the forums to find my answers before hand but I cant always find what I'm looking for. This site is awesome for a new AFV modeler and I have learned a lot in the past couple of weeks! I don't want to annoy anyone with my newbie questions but I'm in the position to purchase 1500-2000 dollars of supplies and tools and I don't want to invest that kind of cash on ill informed ideas and choices. This is why I am grateful to all of the members that reply on my post,it helps so much!

I hope others will continue to lend a helping hand in my new endeavor.

Thank You All!! Craig
dommy20
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see that my post has received hundreds of views but so few reply,

Craig, don't let that get you down, I don't think it's because anyone is tired of answering questions, more likely that not everybody feels that they have an answer. In reality I think that everyone has a little piece to add even if they don't have the whole answer.

Paul Budzik I got to him first! On my first reply I linked him to one of your videos!! Should have thought to send him your webpage as well. Frankly I'm humbled to see you on the discussion! Your work is amazing! I really liked how you replaced the windows on the B17 with oversized pieces and then masked and painted them down, way beyond my abilities but fascinating to observe!
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hey Dominic I appreciated that video link to Paul's site. I myself was very fortunate to have Paul reply to my post as you can see above and your right the man is amazing! I posted a question to him on his site and I'm waiting for his reply. I to was impressed with his use of dental supplies for modeling and have spent the last few hours searching for a dental supply company that doesn't require a Dentist licensing number to purchase supplies and I just found one in Florida that will sell to the general public.

This is what I'm talking about when members post their ideas and links and suggestions and we can learn so much from each other. You never know what somebody has discovered that can improve your modeling skill set. I'm 52 and I don't care if you are 10 years old if you have found a solution or a way of accomplishing that task quicker,better and it proves to be a way for me to improve my skill set, I'll take it!

I have always had this attitude in my life and it has always served me well!
pbudzik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:20 PM UTC
Craig

Checking back...your choice of the HP-CS .35 is perfect, but I wouldn't spend the money on the larger tip conversion. One of the misconceptions is that increasing the tip size will give you a significantly larger pattern. The main function of a larger tip is to increase the material handling so if you want to spray a heavier material, then you want a larger tip. The larger tip will limit your fine spray pattern. I would save the money for a small spray gun that will do the best job. You can get an Iwata off Ebay (direct from Japan) for less than $200 and it will be one of your best modeling investments.

For dental supplies here in the US, you should be able to open an online account with Zahn Dental. A number of modelers have written me that they had no problem signing up online. It's a backdoor into dental lab supplies like the acrylic.

Paul
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Paul! Thanks for the advice! I am assuming you are suggesting the Iwata G6 ECL9000 model spray gun? The other models in this Iwata line suggest the need of a dual piston compressor. I've pretty much decided on the Iwata Smart Jet Plus Tubular compressor. Again another question to you is this a wise choice or do I need to move up to the dual piston model of this Iwata line?

I've have looked up Zahn Dental and always directed to Henry Schein dental supply and I can't purchase from them without that dentist license. How are others getting around this? Is their a specific web site that others are using that I am not aware of?

Thanks for the help!!!! Craig
pbudzik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:04 PM UTC
I would probably stay away from the G6, it's sort of a hybrid gun and the long needle has been an issue. Will your compressor handle the RG-3? It's one of the best. An HP-BE2 would work great, but they are pretty much gone.

Not sure about your Zahn experience. I now my sales rep even suggested just going through Zahn online. They are part of the same company, with some overlap, but the billing seems to be handled separately.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks Paul.. I'll see if I can find a HP-BE2 or R-G3. I'll look into Zahn more also.

I'm going to look into other compressors on the market such as the Sparmax TC-620x. It has a dedicated air tank of at least 2.5L If I remember correctly, I'll search the forums to see what others have to say about the Sparmax compressors.

Thanks again! Off to my search and destroy misson,lol

Craig
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Everyone.. I've been able to locate a Iwata RG-3 or HP-BE2 Both available with 3 tip sizes 0.4 0.6 0.8 Now I have to admit that the tip sizes just have me all confused! I'm planning to get the HP-CS 35mm for my all around starter brush and the literature for this brush says the spray pattern will do fine line to 2" As you guy's know who have responded to this thread and are trying to help me out my question was do I need 2 airbrushes, one for priming and another for fine detail,camouflage etc. Well I understand that I could probably get decent results with just the HP-CS 35mm. but I don't want just decent results I want to have optimum results if I can get them, thus the right tool for the right task kind of thinking. So this is where I'm getting confused with the tip sizes for each application..Maybe you guy's can help me out here? If I'm understanding this correctly and I most likely am not why would this RG-3 or HP-BE2 spray guns have tips in this range 0.4 0.6 0.8 when I'm thinking like for spraying a wide area you would want say .40 maybe .50 ? The airbrushes I see for fine detail work are 0.2 0.3 maybe 0.5 at the most. I'm not getting this I must just be @#$% Stupid!!

I'm sorry to bother you guy's!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP