AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Rust streaks on AFVs - why?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 01:34 AM UTC
If you want to add interest to your model, rather than just generic streaks and other unreal fantasy how about using the weathering to actually tell the story of the vehicle? The character as it has grown over time?

That rusty USMC Abrams tells this story: it had done water fording in heavy salt water. That rusts metal fast. But it rusted joints and bolts and not panels at random.

I crewed tanks where I knew every stain and rust streak. Yeah those stripped bolts were from changing the head light and over a week those exposed bolts rusted. Refueling there was a nasty stain and the chain on the cap rusted up and steaked. Slamming the loader's hatch chipped the paint and a week of rain put little chips of rust on the hatch lip.

Interest? How about that phantom wet spot on an otherwise dry vehicle? The effects of that one mud hole your driver just had to find on that last road march that totally ruined your beautiful coat of dust. Dust over mud over wet dirt over dust? More visual interest than any of your arty fantasy pieces.

When things get dirty they grow a character, but random streaking and artistic fading is paint by numbers as opposed to filling an empty canvas with color.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I often tell my art students, quoting Picasso, that "art is not truth, it is a lie that helps us realize the truth" and I guess this, to some extent applies to our finishing techniques. ...

That's priceless! Thanks. You inspired me to go look up the entire quote, and I have to say, there's a reason why that man was a master.

Cheers!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate if someone could explain why putting so many rust streaks on a typical AFV model became nearly a tradition lately?

No, I'm not talking about specifics of the "Spanish style" (Mig Jimenez and Co.) which, at least as far as I could guess, assumes that the more of different "effects" you put on the model the better (and more "realistic") it should become.

I just wanted to understand why so many of our fellow modelers think that paint chips always cause rust streaks on a typical AFV.

I personally saw a lot of real tanks and halftracks exposed to some severe weathering, I have studied lots of archive photos - and my personal experience was that armor steel does not get rusted easily.

The last example that I could see was about a year ago - when in the Armed Forces Museum in Moscow, Russia several tanks had their bare metal armor fully exposed (all paint and underlying primer coats were completely removed during the restoration work) to rains, etc. for over a month - and there was nothing near to what we could see leaking from under those tiny paint chips on many models

Hi Phil, and anyone else that may not agree with all that overdone rust that we've been seeing the last few years on scale armor and soft-skinned vehicles. I think that this is because too many modellers seem to think that the more beat-up and rusty a vehicle looks, the more "realistic" it will be.

If any of you guys have ever looked at real armor, and that includes World War II-vintage "gate guards", you won't find nearly as much rust there as some of our fellow modellers seem to think that they have to apply to their models. However, many WWII-vintage photos exist where anti-tank shell penetrations through armor don't show much of anything, except maybe some molten metal around the penetration- in only some cases. These types of penetrations will not start to show rust until long afterwards... I'm NOT saying that rust doesn't appear on military vehicles. Environment should definitely be taken into account. On a personal level, I like to complete my vehicles in a relatively "new" appearance, but not pristine.

A LOT of rust is something that you see much more of on cars- around wheel arches, dog legs, door handles, rocker panels and the lower surfaces of the quarter panels...

Having said all that, I don't believe in applying heavy washes and filters, either- I've seen articles where the modeller has already done quite a bit of modulation, start to apply a red filter, a yellow filter, a blue filter, a green filter, a- well, you get the idea... Why? All those filters are only going to obscure the original color of the vehicle. I'm not going to mention names, but I saw this very technique applied to some 1/35 WWII USMC LVTs in a 3-book series. All of those washes and filters made the vehicles look like something from another planet. WAAAAAY too much rust, too...

If you think that armor takes a beating, check out any color, or even black-and-white photos of steam locomotives that have seen long, hard use. Many American steam locomotives that were built at the turn of the 19th Century into the 20th, didn't see the end of their careers until the late 1960s...

Another thing that I've raved about in the past is, WHY do we keep seeing vehicles' tools with wooden handles painted in those warm, sexy browns, with lovingly applied streaking to simulate wood grains? It JUST AIN'T RIGHT!!! What! Did magic elves stealthily come in the night and transform these implements into fine, antique furniture? The model is weathered to the nth degree, but LO and BEHOLD! The wooden-handled tools look as if they'd just come straight out of a Hammacher & Schlemmer catalog, or some old-timey tourist-trap hardware store!!!

I've yet to see any WWII-vintage color photo of military vehicles' tools that weren't painted the same color as the rest of the vehicle. I HAVE seen tools with wooden handles where the paint has worn off, and the wood has weathered to a DULL GRAY... Just like you'd see laying around in any barnyard... Opinions?
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...... That rusty USMC Abrams tells this story: it had done water fording in heavy salt water. That rusts metal fast. But it rusted joints and bolts and not panels at random ......

My attempt at replicating the look (not the actual vehicle) of that particular Abrams .... I must admit there's some random streaking and fading in there. It's just my way of building up the layers of wear and tear.

Brent

GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
I'm not against rust per se, but I agree it should be applied strategically. I think in my opinion the model should represent an interaction between the machine, the crew and the environment. For instance, in the interior, worn metal and mud effect on the floor where crew member's feet would go and around the hatches and access panels. On vehicles participating in the North African campaign, bleaching on the parts most exposed to the sun also makes sense.
pespada
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:44 AM UTC
I suppose that the best you can do is pick a subject in a photograph and see how close you can get to it. Maybe that's the most sensible way--just like the real vs. the model picture of the Abrams in the previous comment. To be honest, I had to look twice at that photo to realize it was a model (nice job,BTW) Verisimilitude?

joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:52 AM UTC
Not to sound mean or anything, but if it's not ok to use creative licence to make a vehicle "too rusty" or "Too weathered", then what's the sense in having "what if" campaigns? Or "Paper Panzer" campaigns? If it didn't happen, why build it? The argument has been made that too much rusting is not realistic, or never happened is rubbish. And the point has been mentioned that most tanks were in service only a short time, but if you read any WWII German history of the Eastern Front, they were sending them out, and when they got shot out from underneath some poor crew, they'd drag em back in, and put em back together for another crew of fools. So there was rust, chips, dents, scratches, missing parts, etc.
I say if you don't like it, don't portray it in your models. Me? I'm somewhere in the middle.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

......Verisimilitude?

Exactly.

And as an aside why don't more people comment on well built but plainly finished models? If people are thinking that current modelling trends have been too heavily influenced by the barrage of coverage and volumes of glowing comments over heavily weathered models then why aren't other builds better supported to redress the trend?

It seems that commentary and controversial threads get a lot of attention but displayed models (the end point of the hobby) often might attract 3 or 4 comments if they are lucky ...

Brent
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...... That rusty USMC Abrams tells this story: it had done water fording in heavy salt water. That rusts metal fast. But it rusted joints and bolts and not panels at random ......

My attempt at replicating the look (not the actual vehicle) of that particular Abrams .... I must admit there's some random streaking and fading in there. It's just my way of building up the layers of wear and tear.

Brent

GREAT JOB!!! THAT kind of weathering is realistic- USMC vehicles are exposed to a lot of salt water, and if the model is to be depicted in a desert environment, such as Iraq or Afghanistan, then we also need to take sand into account, since it's so abrasive. Deserts are hot in the daytime and cold at night, so there are drastic temperature changes, which WILL affect oxidation...
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And as an aside why don't more people comment on well built but plainly finished models? If people are thinking that current modelling trends have been too heavily influenced by the barrage of coverage and volumes of glowing comments over heavily weathered models then why aren't other builds better supported to redress the trend?

A plainly finished vehicle can be simply percieved as being boring. There is nothing to bring out the details, to break the monotony. Just look at aircraft models, all that pre-shading and washing going on. Another problem I see that the photos are not stellar and often dont do justice.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:03 PM UTC
WOW Brent....Fantastic Abrams build fella!!! BTW, that photo of the Abrams is my favorite. I hope to build one similar some day.

Gary
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:58 PM UTC
I agree that rust should be done sparingly and dust and fuel can be used in greater amounts.
Regarding WWII German afv weathering. Has anyone thought about the fact that German marching boots/shoes had steel nails added to the sole? Clambering over your tank would surely lead to scratches in the paint on horizontal and slanted surfaces.
IIRC so had the Brits. The US didn't have these steel nails, so the paint on their tanks would be less scratched and more scuffed/ buffed.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:06 PM UTC
I know this opinion will be in the minority (and I may be stoned for stating it!) but these beautiful, well done, outstandingly artistic AFV paint jobs - are generally NOT REALISTIC! - and I think this statement is how the thread originally started.

While part of me is envious of modelers who can achieve these beautifully distressed, faded panel, rust stained creations - at the same time I also reject those paint jobs as too theatrical and unrealistic. Anyone who has ever taken a real AFV to the field and then returned it to the motor pool and had to clean it up before putting it away will know these current day model paint jobs just are not realistic.

I call these model vehicles the "painted ladies" - painted in the same way actors must emphasize their make-up so even the folks in the last row of the third balcony can see it. It doesn't look real when seen on the street!

I am not trying to take anything away from this group of very talented modelers. However nature paints with a very large and broad airbrush, most often the weathering (usually dust) is acquired more of less uniformly over the entire vehicle. Early in the march you might have a heavier accumulation to the rear of the vehicle and of course you are going to have wet spots and mud on the road wheels and tracks, oil streaks coming off the bearings, gas stains around the filler caps, etc. But that is about it!

I am one modeler that refuses to go in the direction of the "painted ladies". I just cannot bring myself to do it. And that, I know, is my choice.

GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:40 PM UTC
I think alot of the things that are actually seen in the field would look unrealistic to some if built as a standalone scale model. As an example, I've posted below two photos of trucks with mud smeared over the body as camouflage. It's not natural weathering and it obscures the contours of the vehicles (and would involve tons of visible brush strokes) all of which are things that many modellers would consider anathema, but it painting a vehicle with brushstrokes, not highlighting of contours etc would be a realistic representation of what's out in the field.

http://i.imgur.com/cw0m2Va.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/c4hQTOV.jpg

It's kind of funny that modelling AFVs and cars seems to involve the exact opposite mentality. With cars, most of what you see is glossy paint and chrome on vehicles that look like they've been taken straight from the showroom floor, but with tanks the goal is to make them look as filthy as possible. Maybe one day I'll build a chrome and gold tank with platinum tracks with spinnaz and those hydraulic suspension dealies that makes the whole thing go up and down.
Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
I fully agree with Dennis and Michael.

Indeed, the reason I started this thread is that I see a lot... no, A LOT of weathering overdone in general and done without applying common sense in particular. Here are just a few examples:

First of all, the root cause of starting this whole thread - rust streaks.

I am not against rust on AFVs in general - rust is usually there, and most likely will always be there. But it should be applied after a thourough thinking . Rust STREAKS - as if the poor fella is severely bleeding with rust (or crying with rusty tears) - especially from under even the tiniest paint chips - is usually way too much.

Another example is a completely missed link between the vehicle's history and "outlook". I remember a Russian modeler that did a diorama with late 1941 version of KV-2 involved. That diorama was meant to illustrate a combat situation with that tank. And, guess what? KV-2 was weathered as if the modeler was trying to apply at once all effects that he ever heard of or read about.

Now - if this is a late 1941 KV-2 (which means it was manufactured not before 1.5 months from the start of the War) and all KV-2 (except 2 that survived for about 2 years more) were lost in combat in the first 3 months of the War - then how come it is still in combat (= has lived for 3 months the most) and is beaten up so bad (as if it was in service for at least 30 years)?

And so on and so forth...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you think that armor takes a beating, check out any color, or even black-and-white photos of steam locomotives that have seen long, hard use. Many American steam locomotives that were built at the turn of the 19th Century into the 20th, didn't see the end of their careers until the late 1960s...

I work by a busy Con-rail intersection and the cars and engines I see there are the very definition of dirty. But the streaks are usually exhaust and fuel, not rust.

And then there's some demolition going on with lots of construction equipment in dusty conditions. We've also had a lot of snow recently and it's amazing how little snow stays on stuff unlike some models which look like they're in a blizzard (which may be what the modeler is portraying) All you need is one sunny day.

You want to put streaks to be visually interesting go for a tank that went through a puddle or two. Where did that spatter come from? All it takes is that one puddle in the middle of a dry field and there's splatter everywhere.

Hobnailed boots do not strip paint. The points are in the sole of the shoe not pointing out. They get worn flush into the sole quickly. Now if a bunch of mountain troops climbed all over that panzer their cleated boots would destroy the finish.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure however about mud hiding the "true self" - if part of its duty is to get covered in mud but still be able to operate (after all, that's one of the reasons for using tracks) then that is a part of its true self.

Maybe I was not 100% clear on what I meant by a "true self". Let me be more specific now.

I meant that when building models modelers usually pay lots of attention not only to how it looks in general (= to weathering and painting), but also to how precisely it represents the prototype.

A prototype could be, depending on what is being built, either a specific unit (e.g. the one specific vehicle that was seen on photos, etc.) or just a "standard" unit of a particular time of production (e.g. an STZ T-34/76 made in Aug. 1942; or a KV-2 mod. 1940 built Oct.-Nov. 1940, etc.).

All these units have loads of unique "facial features" - like type of track links used, type of road and support wheels, type and shape of fenders, hull plates, number / location / type of stowage boxes, weapons type and location, even turret weld numbers / locations, etc. Features that are so bold and "screaming" that errors there look as obvious as seeing Luke Skywalker with AK-47 instead of a lightsaber

And correctly replicating those facial features is one of the most important aspects (if not THE most important one) of building a model of a particular prototype - of course, if one wants to build a TRUE authentic _model_, and not just "glue together a tank".

If all of this is covered by extensive mud, all of the defining characteristic of a particular model, its facial features, are hidden. Thus ruining days and months of precious work of studying a particular prototype and then correctly replicating it in a model.

Sure, I agree with what Phil has just written- That excessive mud covers up A LOT of the beautiful detailing that we get right "out of the box", and the additional stuff that we add to our models in the way of resin bits and pieces and PE. I happen to be one of those modellers that LOVES PE, and I have no qualms about using it, PROVIDING IT IS AN ACCURATE representation of what should be there. The same applies to resin. WHY go to all the trouble of adding/correcting detail, when it's only going to be obscured by adding 6 pounds of mud..?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure, I agree with what Phil has just written- That excessive mud covers up A LOT of the beautiful detailing that we get right "out of the box", and the additional stuff that we add to our models in the way of resin bits and pieces and PE. I happen to be one of those modelers that LOVES PE, and I have no qualms about using it, PROVIDING IT IS AN ACCURATE representation of what should be there. The same applies to resin. WHY go to all the trouble of adding/correcting detail, when it's only going to be obscured by adding 6 pounds of mud..?

There are plenty of ways a real tank gets dirty without obscuring detail. The only reason for putting tons of mud on a tank is if you're building a tank in lots of mud. But properly depicted dried mud doesn't obscure detail. It obscures paint and markings; but photo-etch detail no. in fact PE is a wonderful tool to depict properly beat up sheet metal fittings on tanks. And properly done dripping mud splattered on a photo-etched detail can be very evocative of a real tank in service.

But then how many modelers here have put all the storage box handles on an M48 or M60 in a perfect row? Going over any rough terrain can knock them all over the place except for the one with the lock on it.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A plainly finished vehicle can be simply percieved as being boring. There is nothing to bring out the details, to break the monotony. Just look at aircraft models, all that pre-shading and washing going on. Another problem I see that the photos are not stellar and often dont do justice.

Oh, wait a minute! What's wrong with pre-shading? I don't care for overall washes- They're messy, wasteful and time-consuming. It's not just aircraft that get "all that pre-shading and washing". Many armor and soft-skin builders use these two techniques as well, with beatiful results. As to monochromatic finishes such as US OLIVE DRAB, BRITISH BRONZE GREEN, and RUSSIAN 4BO GREEN, they don't have to be "boring", if one follows a few basic techniques in order to make them "interesting"...

Take for instance a "boring color" such as US OLIVE DRAB, British Army BRONZE-GREEN or Russian 4BO... These colors, if done the right way, can be anything BUT "BORING".

I like to mix and spray on a DARK BASE color, then I spray on my "new-from-the-factory" color, taking care to leave the base color in it's original form in places that will naturally be darker, as would be seen in "shadow effects". With my 1/48 aircraft, I combine the techniques of pre-shading and the judicious use of weathering powders to achieve the illusions of depth, shadow, etc.

On my 1/35 stuff, I augment this in places by using darker or even BLACK weathering powders. Then, I like to modulate my "factory color" by airbrushing successively slightly lighter colors, especially in areas that are exposed to the sun; at most, I use 2 lighter variations of the "new factory" color. The lighter modulation colors are sprayed on to depict SLIGHT fading, not distressed to the point of making the paint look like it's been exposed to desert sun for 100 years! Once the modulation has been done to my satisfaction, I like to apply a few scuff marks.

I also like to use a No.2 or 2 1/2 graphite pencil to show wear around the hatch orifices, and on metal handles, latches and on the cutting edges of my axes and spade shovels.

I like to apply ARCHER's Dry Transfers to depict my serial numbers, national, divisional, and company insignia. I then spray a coat of TESTORS 1960 Lusterless Flat, or my own mix of FLAT, with a few drops of DUST, not too heavy mind you, because I don't want to obscure the colors that I've sprayed on my subject, just to seal everything up.

I like to use a pin wash in my grilles, gratings, and any finely depicted recesses, such as would be seen in the case of a closed hatch cover. I also use a thinned version of my pin wash around bolts, hinges, clasps, etc. I keep the rust to a barely perceptible minimum, confining it to VERY FEW places and you wouldn't even see it, unless you were looking hard for it. I keep my rust very light, precisely because of the same reasons that some of my fellow modellers have expressed throughout this thread. Same goes with streaking- I keep that to an absolute minimum, just as well; barely perceptible. At this point, I start in with my weathering powders, going in places to create a tiny bit of "shadow" and also to depict depth around features that stand "proud" of flat surfaces. This, again, is meant only to enhance such things as hinges, latches, etc. I also use my weathering powders to depict road dust, dirt, and a bit of dried mud in the lower hull areas, suspension, sprockets, idlers and road-wheels. Then, I revert to an older technique that many modellers seen to have forsaken in the last 10 years or so: That is dry-brushing...

I will dry-brush only the highest points of my raised details, and once in a blue moon, to depict the dirty scuffing that tankers leave behind with their boots in selected places. I will also highlight my weapons with graphite and POLISHED STEEL, these places being the high points, receivers, muzzles and edges of my "Parkerized" MGs and the muzzle of my main gun, in the case of tanks. I keep my dry-brushing very subtle, as it should be. The whole "megillah" is once again subjected to a coat of FLAT CLEAR, and this will very nicely blend it all together in a nice effect of uniformity.

THAT'S how I avoid the "boring" looks of my US OLIVE DRAB, BRITISH ARMY BRONZE GREEN, and RUSSIAN 4BO GREEN. You'd be surprised at how "interesting" these colors can be made, just by following a few basic techniques. It's not that hard; all one needs is just a bit of practice, and RESTRAINT...

And for those of you who like to put their talents to the test with "artistic license", try figure painting. There are several excellent publications out there that will show you the proper way to paint figures, and will dispel your fears of not being able to make a fine job of your efforts. These techniques can also help you to create realistic-looking stowage on your vehicles. May I recommend OSPREY's "BILL HORAN's MODELLING MASTERCLASS of FIGURE PAINTING"- you'll NEVER regret buying this book, TRUST ME...
pespada
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:49 AM UTC
I think that we are trying to paint a dramatic picture in 3D. Hence all the "exaggerated" highlights and shadows, mud, dust, dirt, oil water stains, etc. Keep in mind the word "dramatic." Also, I always believed that camouflage was inherently uninteresting to look at from a distance--it's purpose is to conceal and make one not look twice. Somehow, we have to tweak that a little or a lot to make for an "interesting" model.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW Brent....Fantastic Abrams build fella!!! BTW, that photo of the Abrams is my favorite. I hope to build one similar some day.

Gary

Thanks Gary, appreciate the comment.

@ Dennis - that's pretty much exactly how I paint. A mix of old and new (ish) techniques.

My point wasn't about boring finishes so much as why people that appreciate minimal weathering don't comment more on builds like that .... if everyone that's expressed a dislike for the "show modelling" trend of hyper modulation and overuse of "brand" weathering products commented when a simpler build was posted maybe there'd be more of them shown.

The other thing I think that's clouding the issue is that extreme modulation (not controlled), the weathering that's often associated with it (particularly rust) and the products designed for it have never really been about realism per se. One of the brands associated with founding modulation clearly mentions it's an artistic representation. Personally I don't like it that much. Sometimes it suits the subject while any times it doesn't. It is striking though and that's what it attracts so many comments.

Either way I appreciate all sorts of models, artistic and clean. I always try to take away something from them all that will improve my own modelling or finishing ability.

Brent
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want to add interest to your model, rather than just generic streaks and other unreal fantasy how about using the weathering to actually tell the story of the vehicle? The character as it has grown over time?

That rusty USMC Abrams tells this story: it had done water fording in heavy salt water. That rusts metal fast. But it rusted joints and bolts and not panels at random.

I crewed tanks where I knew every stain and rust streak. Yeah those stripped bolts were from changing the head light and over a week those exposed bolts rusted. Refueling there was a nasty stain and the chain on the cap rusted up and steaked. Slamming the loader's hatch chipped the paint and a week of rain put little chips of rust on the hatch lip.

Interest? How about that phantom wet spot on an otherwise dry vehicle? The effects of that one mud hole your driver just had to find on that last road march that totally ruined your beautiful coat of dust. Dust over mud over wet dirt over dust? More visual interest than any of your arty fantasy pieces.

When things get dirty they grow a character, but random streaking and artistic fading is paint by numbers as opposed to filling an empty canvas with color.

Amen Brother...

When seeing the models with the rust streaks and/or extensive caked on mud all over the model, I have to ask "why is it like that??" Unfortunately, I will probably never get the "art" part of the hobby as it doesn't make sense to me as a former rider of tanks... Sure, some of these weathered works of art are beautiful but not realistic IMHO. I am not knocking these works of art but I am just limited in my presentations to what I think is realistic.

JC
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh, wait a minute! What's wrong with pre-shading? I don't care for overall washes- They're messy, wasteful and time-consuming. It's not just aircraft that get "all that pre-shading and washing". Many armor and soft-skin builders use these two techniques as well, with beatiful results. As to monochromatic finishes such as US OLIVE DRAB, BRITISH BRONZE GREEN, and RUSSIAN 4BO GREEN, they don't have to be "boring", if one follows a few basic techniques in order to make them "interesting"...

Take for instance a "boring color" such as US OLIVE DRAB, British Army BRONZE-GREEN or Russian 4BO... These colors, if done the right way, can be anything BUT "BORING".

I like to mix and spray on a DARK BASE color, then I spray on my "new-from-the-factory" color, taking care to leave the base color in it's original form in places that will naturally be darker, as would be seen in "shadow effects". With my 1/48 aircraft, I combine the techniques of pre-shading and the judicious use of weathering powders to achieve the illusions of depth, shadow, etc.

On my 1/35 stuff, I augment this in places by using darker or even BLACK weathering powders. Then, I like to modulate my "factory color" by airbrushing successively slightly lighter colors, especially in areas that are exposed to the sun; at most, I use 2 lighter variations of the "new factory" color. The lighter modulation colors are sprayed on to depict SLIGHT fading, not distressed to the point of making the paint look like it's been exposed to desert sun for 100 years! Once the modulation has been done to my satisfaction, I like to apply a few scuff marks.

I also like to use a No.2 or 2 1/2 graphite pencil to show wear around the hatch orifices, and on metal handles, latches and on the cutting edges of my axes and spade shovels.

I like to apply ARCHER's Dry Transfers to depict my serial numbers, national, divisional, and company insignia. I then spray a coat of TESTORS 1960 Lusterless Flat, or my own mix of FLAT, with a few drops of DUST, not too heavy mind you, because I don't want to obscure the colors that I've sprayed on my subject, just to seal everything up.

I like to use a pin wash in my grilles, gratings, and any finely depicted recesses, such as would be seen in the case of a closed hatch cover. I also use a thinned version of my pin wash around bolts, hinges, clasps, etc. I keep the rust to a barely perceptible minimum, confining it to VERY FEW places and you wouldn't even see it, unless you were looking hard for it. I keep my rust very light, precisely because of the same reasons that some of my fellow modellers have expressed throughout this thread. Same goes with streaking- I keep that to an absolute minimum, just as well; barely perceptible. At this point, I start in with my weathering powders, going in places to create a tiny bit of "shadow" and also to depict depth around features that stand "proud" of flat surfaces. This, again, is meant only to enhance such things as hinges, latches, etc. I also use my weathering powders to depict road dust, dirt, and a bit of dried mud in the lower hull areas, suspension, sprockets, idlers and road-wheels. Then, I revert to an older technique that many modellers seen to have forsaken in the last 10 years or so: That is dry-brushing...

I will dry-brush only the highest points of my raised details, and once in a blue moon, to depict the dirty scuffing that tankers leave behind with their boots in selected places. I will also highlight my weapons with graphite and POLISHED STEEL, these places being the high points, receivers, muzzles and edges of my "Parkerized" MGs and the muzzle of my main gun, in the case of tanks. I keep my dry-brushing very subtle, as it should be. The whole "megillah" is once again subjected to a coat of FLAT CLEAR, and this will very nicely blend it all together in a nice effect of uniformity.

THAT'S how I avoid the "boring" looks of my US OLIVE DRAB, BRITISH ARMY BRONZE GREEN, and RUSSIAN 4BO GREEN. You'd be surprised at how "interesting" these colors can be made, just by following a few basic techniques. It's not that hard; all one needs is just a bit of practice, and RESTRAINT...

And for those of you who like to put their talents to the test with "artistic license", try figure painting. There are several excellent publications out there that will show you the proper way to paint figures, and will dispel your fears of not being able to make a fine job of your efforts. These techniques can also help you to create realistic-looking stowage on your vehicles. May I recommend OSPREY's "BILL HORAN's MILITARY MODELLING MASTERCLASS of FIGURE PAINTING"- you'll NEVER regret buying this book, TRUST ME...

AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
Just wanted to share some AAV rust. Rust was the bane of our existence, a constant fight that kept us busy when we weren’t in the field. Not the hull, its aluminum but all the nuts, bolts, springs, attachments and the turret. I have nightmares of wire brushes and 15/40. Back when we had the EAAK mounted that stuff would rust and whole sheets of it would fall away. The turrets in the mid-90s looked awful because they were not part of the rebuild/IROAN program. We would have to remove the EAAK and UGWS to send it to Barstow for rebuild and then put that rusty faded EAAK and UGWS on freshly delivered bright and spotless fresh out of the paint shop AAV.
The main thing that rusts now is the roadwheels as they are steel as opposes to the old aluminum wheels prior to RAM/RS modification. Those are just left to rust, not worth the effort to keep them clean. Also all the areas on the muffler that aren’t covered in the thermal coating are rust, but it blends with the brown in the camouflage pretty good. You’ll also find on most turrets a scar on the starboard side near the front at the bottom, that is from the raising the rear plenums and the plenums scrapping against the turret. The two torsion springs on the cargo hatches are always rust poles. The constant flexing causes the paint to chip away and expose the metal. All those ¾” bolts holding the track shrouds on were always just rust covered due to being removed, reinstalled or constantly checked and would leave faint streaks on the shroud.
It was just due to the environment. There were no problems with rust in 29 Palms or at Camp Fuji, but at Camp Pendleton it was a constant battle since we were essentially right on the beach and the worst of all was the constant losing battle against rust on Okinawa. You would return from lunch and the stupid thing would be rusty after spending the morning scrubbing, scraping, oiling and painting. Stupid rust! It showed up more prominently on the older faded vehicles. The LVTs we had in the museum rusted pretty quick too. The LVTA5 Modified we lent for the Flags of Our Fathers movie returned as deck cargo and looked like an oversized Cheetos. The whole thing got sandblasted and returned to its inaccurate paint scheme, which caused other problems. I spent days digging sand out of the oil bath air filters. There are a couple of WWII Life color photographs of LVT1s in training and they to look like Cheetos churning through the water.
Want to be disgusted/horrified? Look at the .50-barrel on the AAV tac-marked 3F309 in the pics below. That’s what happens when you lend reservists your toys. I threw a shot of the tools in just to do. No shinny wood as described earlier but the yellow handle that is on the sledge hammers usually doesn’t get portrayed on models. And that is a normal hammer found on most vehicles.

DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wanted to share some AAV rust ...

Fantastic ref pics Daniel - thanks for posting!

Interesting that the yellow handled sledge must be a straight OEM purchase. Surely a military supply contract wouldn't allow bright yellow ?

Brent