_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Panther ausf D
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 03:19 AM UTC
Just looked at Hobby link Japan and they have some shots of the new Panther D.
Not sure what to think
Would of been nice if it came with a few extras.

http://hlj.com/product/TAM35345
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:02 PM UTC
Funny, I clearly remember an advertisment flyer saying the kit would come with indi links and brass grills already included in the box.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:20 PM UTC
Dragon's better.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:06 PM UTC
Here's hoping it's only the start of a Panther A/D series. But do we really need another drum cupola Panther? With yet again the same markings for Kursk? That makes ICM, Zvezda, Dragon and now Tamiya all releasing the same relatively rare variant.

Though strange bird that I am I have a soft spot for the ICM kit. The ICM really gave the Dragon D a run for the money when released. I only got it after extensive reading of comparison reviews.

And having been raised on kits with rubber bands and viewing photo etch as a torture device, I can live without indy track links and tiny pieces of thin metal cluttering up my workbench and preying on my fragile grasp on sanity.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon's better.

While Dragon's Panther D moulds are still very good I'm trying to avoid giving them my money until they remember what their fans want, so Tamiya's version will be what I'd go with if I wanted a kit of this tank.
tnker101
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 05:57 PM UTC
Sad part is, in a age when most manufactures are including metal barrels and P.E. as a standard in kits.Tamiya only offers as a separate kit. Tamiya prices are on the high side and should offer the same level of parts in a kit as other manufactures.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:04 PM UTC
Even though, I would buy this because I am a Model junky.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi David,

Quoted Text

Same for me
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sad part is, in a age when most manufactures are including metal barrels and P.E. as a standard in kits.Tamiya only offers as a separate kit. Tamiya prices are on the high side and should offer the same level of parts in a kit as other manufactures.

The fact is Tamiya offer much better price in Asia than Europe and NA. And as Asian we r living in a fast paced society which prefer quick easy build. Japanese company such as Tamiya focused on local customers while Chinese company such as Trumpeter focused on worldwide customers.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC
Yea, I've noticed that Tamiya kits are almost double the price in the UK as HK or Japan. kind of confused since while it obviously costs moolah to ship something from Japan to Europe I wouldn't expect it to be that much [or maybe it does].
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:51 PM UTC
So if you want the metal barrel/breech set, and the PE grills, it will bump up the price over $100? Sounds fair...NOT!
steve1
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:59 PM UTC
This is just a personal opinion, but I can't help thinking that surely kit sales world wide must of fell dramatically for Tamiya in the last decade or two. The reason I say this is that they only seem to offer two or three new items a year if we are lucky, taking into consideration the competition from Hobbyboss, Trumpeter, AFV , and of course Dragon etc they should be stepping up there game. Add to that the lack of etch , aluminium barrels, separate track links etc and their choice of new items and still keeping high prices how can they expect to survive in a very competitive market. In the 70s and 80s they were the bizz but now they are just average, yea we don't mind paying a bit for an unusual kit but another Panther, please. Come on Tamiya blow us away with something new and fantastic, like when I was a kid and you were the kings.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is just a personal opinion, but I can't help thinking that surely kit sales world wide must of fell dramatically for Tamiya in the last decade or two. The reason I say this is that they only seem to offer two or three new items a year if we are lucky, taking into consideration the competition from Hobbyboss, Trumpeter, AFV , and of course Dragon etc they should be stepping up there game. Add to that the lack of etch , aluminium barrels, separate track links etc and their choice of new items and still keeping high prices how can they expect to survive in a very competitive market. In the 70s and 80s they were the bizz but now they are just average, yea we don't mind paying a bit for an unusual kit but another Panther, please. Come on Tamiya blow us away with something new and fantastic, like when I was a kid and you were the kings.

I think Tamiya kits as still the best, better engineered then all the kits coming out of china. True in the 70's they set the standard then, but compared to what they have produced in the last 20 years the seem like toys (which they were really). The kits from china are very good and Dragon has pushed the limit on their kits as far as detail and number of kits, but Tamiya is still the best in my opinion.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
For the most part I buy every new Tamiya Military kit kit that comes out...I just ordered the Somua I have the Elefant , Jagdpanzer IV, Nashorn, Toyota Staff car, Japanese Army Officers (the molding is very good), etc. I like them because they are a nice quick build. I get these kits from Hobby link Japan. The Dollar is very strong against the Yen and even with shipping I can get a kit WAY below MSRP here in the states.

The fact that Tamiya makes you buy aftermarket barrels, zimmerit, and etched screens doesn't sit well with me either. Most of the other premier manufacturers offer these options already in their kits.

The nice part is that you can get the Tamiya aftermarket stuff pretty cheap at most of the Asian hobby suppliers.

I have already preordered this kit from HLJ:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM35345/Mil

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12666/Mil

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12664/Mil

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12665/Mil

I like the ease of Tamiya kits. I don't agree with most of their marketing stratagies like re-popping Italeri and ICM kits and calling them Tamiya kits or forcing you to buy all the aftermarket stuff. BUT...in the end I still buy the new Tamiya kits.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
I still like Tamiya for ease of assembly and engineering and solid instructions. I may get this one. They do surprise us with innovative stuff. The French WW2 tanks and who released the first WW1 tank.

Tom
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is just a personal opinion, but I can't help thinking that surely kit sales world wide must of fell dramatically for Tamiya in the last decade or two. The reason I say this is that they only seem to offer two or three new items a year if we are lucky...

Hunh? Tamiya has been releasing much more than 1 or 2 kits a year. Even discounting their 1/48 line and their re-issues of older kits with upgrades (like the Italeri Puma with PE and updated parts/sprues, their 37xxx series), Tamiya has issued these 1/35 kits recently:

Somua S-35
Gama Goat ambulance
IJA officers
Jagdpanzer IV L/70
British WW1 infantry
Toyota Phaeton Model AB staff car
2 sets of British Paras
Nashorn
Gama Goat
Type 10 JGSDF MBT
Tiran 5
BT-7
M1A2 SEP
T-55 Enigma
IDF M1 Sherman
IDF M51 Sherman
Simca car

Oh, and let's not forget the Mk IV WW1 British tank.

And people always react so strongly whenever their version of 1/35 Tamiya universe seems to be off. The fact is, the company issues MUCH more than 1/35 items. Their RC releases are staggering. They're seriously shaking things up in the aircraft realm, especially 1/32. They don't go toe-to-toe with DML or Trumpeter or Hobby Boss -- b/c they choose not to.
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think Tamiya kits as still the best, better engineered then all the kits coming out of china. True in the 70's they set the standard then, but compared to what they have produced in the last 20 years the seem like toys (which they were really). The kits from china are very good and Dragon has pushed the limit on their kits as far as detail and number of kits, but Tamiya is still the best in my opinion.

Tamiya might be famous due to its military scale model but recent day scale model plays a small part in Tamiya Inc. They also do RC model, 4WD and education product, as well as craft tool and Tamiya paints, but most of them r hot in Japan. What Tamiya did is far beyond the other company did, They created a ecosystem for modeling in Japan, similar to what Apple did in electronic industry. Probably Tamiya didnt care about overseas marking that much.
Just my point of view, as far as i can tell Tamiya didnt deliverer too many new kit but at least they dont make similar kit like Dragon did. And Tamiya 90s kit is very friendly towards new modeler, Probably every beginner built a Tamiya model before.
steve1
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:31 PM UTC
Seems my previous comments struck a nerve with some hardened Tamiya fans out there, I don't dispute the gains Tamiya have made in other fields namely RC and other kit scales to name a few, and yea I may be a bit biased as I have a particular niche namely 1/35 German and Russian. However I don't consider re boxing and re releasing older kits as new or quoting some kits that are 2 or three years old as recent. I was however making Comparisons to other manufacturers on there choice and release of subjects. It's just an opinion guys, relax lol.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
It is incredible that a company in the 21st century does not include photoetched to the grids. I can accept that do not add to the supports of the tools , but not for basic things that define the model. Tamiya perhaps not interested in the international market, but even then you should not distribute them. Is always welcome a new kit , the sad part decals are the same again and again . I remember the Indian Head in P -47 kits. I do not think "well engieneered " means fewer parts or lack of detail . It means to me that is not a puzzle . Some Tamiya kits are not excellent , are the only ones . That makes " excellent " ?. I do not think so. Char bis kit is very good, but not without mistakes.
But if they were all very good, what would happen with accessories companies ?.
On the other hand , I would like to know the elf who decides which kit will be released ...
Regards from the south
Alvaro
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems my previous comments struck a nerve with some hardened Tamiya fans out there, I don't dispute the gains Tamiya have made in other fields namely RC and other kit scales to name a few, and yea I may be a bit biased as I have a particular niche namely 1/35 German and Russian. However I don't consider re boxing and re releasing older kits as new or quoting some kits that are 2 or three years old as recent. I was however making Comparisons to other manufacturers on there choice and release of subjects. It's just an opinion guys, relax lol.

Just share our point of view, sorry if its too radical. BTW rebox and and re release of 70s kit r disappointing, i have to admit.
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is incredible that a company in the 21st century does not include photoetched to the grids. I can accept that do not add to the supports of the tools , but not for basic things that define the model. Tamiya perhaps not interested in the international market, but even then you should not distribute them. Is always welcome a new kit , the sad part decals are the same again and again . I remember the Indian Head in P -47 kits. I do not think "well engieneered " means fewer parts or lack of detail . It means to me that is not a puzzle . Some Tamiya kits are not excellent , are the only ones . That makes " excellent " ?. I do not think so. Char bis kit is very good, but not without mistakes.
On the other hand , I would like to know the elf who decides which kit will be released ...
Regards from the south
Alvaro

Share the same point of view, Tamiya did a big favor to all the aftermarket company, but recent day i prefer MENG and Trumpeter over Tamiya some how.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi David,

Quoted Text

Same for me

DITTO!
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is just a personal opinion, but I can't help thinking that surely kit sales world wide must of fell dramatically for Tamiya in the last decade or two. The reason I say this is that they only seem to offer two or three new items a year if we are lucky...

Hunh? Tamiya has been releasing much more than 1 or 2 kits a year. Even discounting their 1/48 line and their re-issues of older kits with upgrades (like the Italeri Puma with PE and updated parts/sprues, their 37xxx series), Tamiya has issued these 1/35 kits recently:

Somua S-35
Gama Goat ambulance
IJA officers
Jagdpanzer IV L/70
British WW1 infantry
Toyota Phaeton Model AB staff car
2 sets of British Paras
Nashorn
Gama Goat
Type 10 JGSDF MBT
Tiran 5
BT-7
M1A2 SEP
T-55 Enigma
IDF M1 Sherman
IDF M51 Sherman
Simca car

Oh, and let's not forget the Mk IV WW1 British tank.

And people always react so strongly whenever their version of 1/35 Tamiya universe seems to be off. The fact is, the company issues MUCH more than 1/35 items. Their RC releases are staggering. They're seriously shaking things up in the aircraft realm, especially 1/32. They don't go toe-to-toe with DML or Trumpeter or Hobby Boss -- b/c they choose not to.

how many are not reboxed?
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

my local dealer told me over a year ago that he was done putting their kits on the shelf as they don't sell. Modelers have them figured out for the most part.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards from the south
Alvaro

a few years back my dealer got in a PzKwIII for the cheap price of $219!!! Yes it came with PE and a metal barrel, plus some kind of A.M. tracks. It's still on the shelf with the price lowered to $189. I can buy two Dragon kits (better anyway)with all the goodies and have beer money! I told him kit wouldn't sell in the 50% off lot. His Corsair has been on the shelf since it first came out
gary
 _GOTOTOP