Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Conversions and Scratch Builds
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
Another offering submitted by Monte Kelch:

Russian Lightly Armored Train
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Great article on scratch building a Ben Hur trailer over at:

http://www.maketar.com/

C'mon folks, it really isn't all THAT hard!

Author's name not given in the post.
Removed by original poster on 05/14/19 - 01:59:27 (GMT).
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC
Mathew, I am very glad you are enjoying this thread as that was certainly a part of the original intent.

The question of my inappropriate usage of the word "contest" was already discussed in a observation that Tat Baqui posed on the very first page of this thread about seven entries down from the opening.

As to "return on investment", be it time or money, several individuals, myself included, have previously stated that the scratch builder ends up, either with a model costing tens of dollars rather than hundreds or he ends up with a model that is otherwise unavailable at any price.

On a personal note; the payback I receive also includes the knowledge gained in the research process. Then too this research may lead to other unexpected discoveries. Also there is the aspect of expanded construction capabilities that are learned in the effort. All this can possibly result in a more thorough understanding of the subject that perhaps begins to approach that of the soldier in the field.

It strikes me that all this could be similar to asking yourself the question: do you want to read a book or write one?

I guess it all depends on what the modeler wants to get out of the experience as his/her end product.

p.s. I have to disagree in that I really don't think the model industry is shrinking in any way, shape or form. Our time to build however, may be shrinking due to all the new "must have" models that hit the market, it seems, on almost a weekly basis.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:30 AM UTC
[quote]

And therefore scratch building will always take a back seat (so to speak) in comparison with the more normal model construction methods, i.e. cut parts from a sprue and glue them together, it simply gives more bang for your buck in terms of time spent.

Model making is a shrinking hobby, and a lot of people these days seem to have very little time to allocate to the hobby, they want the construction phase out of the way as fast as possible, so that they can get to the FUN part, i.e. painting, hence scratch building is not all that popular.
[quote]

I look at it the other way around. I love the research, finding the parts that work and making what I need. I have troubles with seeing shades of colors, so I put off painting as long as possible! Sometimes forever.

My current build is getting close to the point where I will be willing to show it off. I have a few more bits to work on.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great article on scratch building a Ben Hur trailer over at:

http://www.maketar.com/

C'mon folks, it really isn't all THAT hard!

(One problem is; this guy uses half-track tires for his trailer. They are too big and the wheel rim is wrong???
The Ben Hur used wheels and tires interchangeable with the CCKW Deuce and a Half.)

Author's name not given in the post.

Mike,

In the text the builder says the wheels are temporary, he has some on order, so hopefully he will get it right. He has all the right reference.

I traded for a half crushed 1 ton metal trailer, for the axles and other fittings (that I ended up donating to a MVPA club auction), and that metal trailer is HEAVY!

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC
Randall, I did notice in a later photo he had substituted the correct wheels. I admit I scanned the article quickly but did not read it thoroughly. What struck me primarily was the quality of his scratch work.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 04:21 PM UTC
[quote][quote]

And therefore scratch building will always take a back seat (so to speak) in comparison with the more normal model construction methods, i.e. cut parts from a sprue and glue them together, it simply gives more bang for your buck in terms of time spent.

Model making is a shrinking hobby, and a lot of people these days seem to have very little time to allocate to the hobby, they want the construction phase out of the way as fast as possible, so that they can get to the FUN part, i.e. painting, hence scratch building is not all that popular.

Quoted Text

I look at it the other way around. I love the research, finding the parts that work and making what I need. I have troubles with seeing shades of colors, so I put off painting as long as possible! Sometimes forever.

My current build is getting close to the point where I will be willing to show it off. I have a few more bits to work on.

I am the very same and spend endless time looking over photos and drawings and attempting bits.

Hate painting but need plenty coats to cover all the glue and finger prints !!!

But I still enjoy
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:50 PM UTC
Just for fun - another 1 : 1 scale kit-bash military conversion:

Cab - Dodge Military Power Wagon
Hood - Civilian Dodge
Radiator Cowl - Unknown
Loadbox - Surplus M100 Military Trailer
Front Radiator Grill Screen - an old Horse Stall Door.

All on a Toyota 4x4 chassis!

Mike Koenig Photos - Seen at the local NAPA store in Irvine, Kentucky 2015
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC
Could be mid to late 30's Dodge truck. It looks very familiar.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Randall, I did notice in a later photo he had substituted the correct wheels. I admit I scanned the article quickly but did not read it thoroughly. What struck me primarily was the quality of his scratch work.

Yes, very nicely done, especially the fenders.
Removed by original poster on 05/14/19 - 02:00:00 (GMT).
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 07:02 PM UTC
Given the very limited response we had earlier I don't think there are enough interested parties for a campaign. Then by their very nature scratch builders are motivated to their own very focused subjects and on their own time schedules.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Given the very limited response we had earlier I don't think there are enough interested parties for a campaign. Then by their very nature scratch builders are motivated to their own very focused subjects and on their own time schedules.

Well, there's at least 2 of us interested, maybe...
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is a conversions and scratch builds campaign on the cards?

Not for me, unless the timescale is measured in years!

Most of my more interesting "white plastic" builds take several years from start to finish, and some are STILL not finished...
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...the Duster - we're talking 1965 here!

Hi Mike,

That was probably the Renwal Duster. I just found this year-old KitMaker review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Ba9fLbU5g

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 03:52 AM UTC
What model is the Soviet flat car?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is a conversions and scratch builds campaign on the cards?

Not for me, unless the timescale is measured in years!

Most of my more interesting "white plastic" builds take several years from start to finish, and some are STILL not finished...

I feel the same way, the timespan would have to be years!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Your Sparton horns are getting closer to reality! Spent a little CAD time this evening...

Still got some tweaks to do, and then a mirror-image for the other horn, but that means editing the spiral and bolts...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, there's at least 2 of us interested, maybe...

Make it 3 -- am still for it.

Michael, maybe you could put up another thread in the Campaigns forum with proposed rules and regs to check the interest again. No "contest" this time.

Kidding aside, I believe there are folks interested but may just be intimidating themselves with a perceived amount of work needed for a scratchbuild project. Take a look at the Constructive Comments forum, there are folks doing / adding a bit of this and that to their builds. It doesn't have to be the whole thing, right? Am no expert on scratchbuilding, but would like to learn, so I'd set a modest goal for myself so I can finish in reasonable time than ages.

Cheers,

Tat
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

Your Sparton horns are getting closer to reality! Spent a little CAD time this evening...

Still got some tweaks to do, and then a mirror-image for the other horn, but that means editing the spiral and bolts...

I wondered what was meant by a spiral as the underside was not visible on those original photos !

That may have been possible to form using putty shaped using a dental pic and a pressed aluminium horn spout as one offs. At least with a cad and 3D print they will be easily replicated time and again !
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

Michael - very impressive. I thought perhaps you had forgotten about my request. I do realize this creation probably involved an above average amount of CAD work given the complex shape of the product produced.

Thank you!

I look forward to one day trying these out!

Nige - The spiral is basically the "folded" hollow trumpet of the horn. The domed structure on top holds the electrically oscillated disc, the horn diaphragm that creates the "voice". (Sorry, You probably knew this already.)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:54 PM UTC
Combine the straight horns on the left with the idea of the spiral bulb horn on the right:
+

. . . and you get the compact auto horn shown here:
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:02 PM UTC
Horn diaphragm mechanism:

This diaphragm construction is very similar to that used in the old dial telephone ear piece speakers.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:35 PM UTC
OK Michael, I admit in making the following requests/suggestions I am being a choosy (or cheeky) beggar . . .

Perhaps the addition of a flat vertical mounting bracket coming off the bottom rear portion of the horn body please. Also the voltage regulator shown in the photo is a very generic item under the hood of 30's thru 60's autos that could be included in the horn set for even greater value. (They came in a variety of sizes - the one for the Jeep was huge!)

p.s. Thank you for making the end of the trumpet horn a bit more pronounced like on the Diamond T horns rather than squashed flatter as on the Spartan horns.)