Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4E13 Panther F
DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Everyone, great ideas, great posts.

The biggest What If on my model is the suspension. The deciding factor was, I had the Fruil track in hand, and wanted to see how it looked on a Sherman.

I'm thinking of making this one a factory prototype, and doing another one more "Sherman".

I haven't had this much fun with a model in a long time and now can't wait to build a "workable" tank!

To answer one thought, the Ruhr industrial zone is close to the imaginary border and will be defended at all costs.

I would like to see the more Sherman one.

But would the Ruhr not be interdicted by the Soviets?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
I'm sure there would be a lot of sabatoge from Stalinist supporters. The imaginary line is where East met West in 1945, putting the Ruhr within the Western lines.

I'm not a big airplane person, but I'm thinking the Western Army would dominate in the air at this time.
DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC
This actually would be a good concept for a "What if?" Novel.

The Ruhr was I believe was in the British Zone of Occupation.
edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
When its in paint we should put the Super Jumbo and your beast in a Diorama!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This actually would be a good concept for a "What if?" Novel.

The Ruhr was I believe was in the British Zone of Occupation.

I'm calling the British, French, US, and anyone else that wants in, the Western Army to avoid any real post war zones.

It might make a good novel. Hadn't thought of that.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When its in paint we should put the Super Jumbo and your beast in a Diorama!

Maybe "if" it's in paint might be more accurrate. I'm a bit slooooow to get to painting.

Not a bad idea though.
RobG57
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:33 AM UTC
Great 'what if' idea..... how about IR search lights...or smoke dischargers
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another interesting twist might be some more modest conversions, the UK for instance conducted limited production runs out of captured factories in real life of some panzerjager models for testing/keep the locals busy purposes. It's not hard to imagine something like a Panzerjager IV with British trimmings and paint job if it really came down to making armor in a post war Europe to fight the Soviets.

A British JagdPanzer IV, with a 17 pounder installed?!

That is something that sounds tempting. Or even the 90 from the M26...
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great 'what if' idea..... how about IR search lights...or smoke dischargers

I might put the IR on the 'E8 90mm I have planned.

The US didn't have any interest in smoke dischargers. One of the vets I talked to said they just shot WP smoke rounds everywhere.
MichaelHatch
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hello.

Here is my idea.

This is a mid to late 1944 version.

For 1947 I would add HVSS and maybe applique armour.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Hatch/library/Modelling%20American%20Armor/M4A1%2090mm%20Wet

Michael in Cloverdale.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC
Would VVSS have been strong enough to take the weight of the full M26 turret?
MichaelHatch
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hi.

Apparently. There is a photo in Steven Zaloga's "Armored Thunderbolt" that shows a test vehicle (late M4 VVSS). I don't know it they actually tested its mobility but they were thinking about it...

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Hatch/media/Modelling%20American%20Armor/M4A1%2090mm%20Wet/ShermanwithPershingturret2.jpg.html

Michael in Cloverdale.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen, thank you.

I had to do some creative work for the suspension, but I wanted to make it look like it would work. I put the limiting springs too high, good thing you can't see in there.

It is a long stretch to think that Panther tracks would work properly. However, the 'E8 T-66 tracks had a similar pitch.

So, should I use US tools, or the German set? I plan on using the lights from the M4, so probably will use the US tool kit.

Plans are for a Panther cupola from Panzer Art, and a pop up swivel loaders hatch using the spare round hatch from the Panther F kit.

On a personal note, I think the Panther F looks cooler than the Panther II, but I have both kits.

Does anyone have the DML steel wheeled Panther G, and the Panther F? I'm wondering if I can swap out the wheels I'm using for a steel set from the Panther G.

You know...

The US Army DID test an M4A2 (56-degree Upper Hull, with the single-piece Transmission Housing), using a Torsion Bar Suspension, a la T26/M26... 24-inch Tracks, 6 "double" T-26/M26-style Road Wheels, with similarly constructed Rear Idlers, and 3 Upper Return Rollers...

There appears to be a "standard"(?) 75mm-gunned Turret mounted on this vehicle, with an M34A1 Gun Mantlet- Must be that the Army decided not to disrupt production of regular VVSS M4-series Mediums, or they might not have been very impressed by this vehicle after testing... This is merely conjecture, of course...

I don't have a copy of the Hunnicut Sherman book, so I don't know if this "one-off" M4A2 is also covered in that book. Anybody know???

I've been hankering to build an example of THIS particular vehicle for years, but have never gotten around to it because of numerous other projects always being "in a state of flux" in my workshop.

My source is the "Pictorial History Of TANKS OF THE WORLD 1915-1945" book, by Peter Chamberlain & Chris Ellis, published by Gallahad Books, by arrangement with Stackpole Books. Copyright is 1972, so I have NO IDEA if this book is even available any more. There's another "critter" in this book that I'd also like to build; a Pz.III, (early Ausf.J?, short 5cm Gun), built in 1942, with an interleaved FAMO Suspension. ONE vehicle was built, and cancelled after testing.

It always seemed to me that a an interleaved suspension was more trouble than it was worth- Mud, Ice, Snow and possibly "KIT KAT" candy bars constantly gumming/jamming the whole orchestra up. Also, having to remove surrounding Road Wheel-sets/Sprockets/and/or Rear Idlers just to replace and/or repair SINGLE Road Wheels and/or Torsion Bar assemblies...

YESSS, I'm aware of the advantages of "better"(?) weight distribution of the interleaved suspension-design, but is all the extra work REALLY worth it? If this system was SO GOOD, WHY don't any modern Tanks and AFVs use this bone-headed design?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know...

The US Army DID test an M4A2 (56-degree Upper Hull, with the single-piece Transmission Housing), using a Torsion Bar Suspension, a la T26/M26... 24-inch Tracks, 6 "double" T-26/M26-style Road Wheels, with similarly constructed Rear Idlers, and 3 Upper Return Rollers...

There appears to be a "standard"(?) 75mm-gunned Turret mounted on this vehicle, with an M34A1 Gun Mantlet- Must be that the Army decided not to disrupt production of regular VVSS M4-series Mediums, or they might not have been very impressed by this vehicle after testing... This is merely conjecture, of course...

I don't have a copy of the Hunnicut Sherman book, so I don't know if this "one-off" M4A2 is also covered in that book. Anybody know???

I've been hankering to build an example of THIS particular vehicle for years, but have never gotten around to it because of numerous other projects always being "in a state of flux" in my workshop.

My source is the "Pictorial History Of TANKS OF THE WORLD 1915-1945" book, by Peter Chamberlain & Chris Ellis, published by Gallahad Books, by arrangement with Stackpole Books. Copyright is 1972, so I have NO IDEA if this book is even available any more. There's another "critter" in this book that I'd also like to build; a Pz.III, (early Ausf.J?, short 5cm Gun), built in 1942, with an interleaved FAMO Suspension. ONE vehicle was built, and cancelled after testing.

It always seemed to me that a an interleaved suspension was more trouble than it was worth- Mud, Ice, Snow and possibly "KIT KAT" candy bars constantly gumming/jamming the whole orchestra up. Also, having to remove surrounding Road Wheel-sets/Sprockets/and/or Rear Idlers just to replace and/or repair SINGLE Road Wheels and/or Torsion Bar assemblies...

YESSS, I'm aware of the advantages of "better"(?) weight distribution of the interleaved suspension-design, but is all the extra work REALLY worth it? If this system was SO GOOD, WHY don't any modern Tanks and AFVs use this bone-headed design?

The torsion bar test tank is described in the Hunnicutt book, and there is a web site with a lot more good pictures of the suspension (google M4E4). The project was dropped because of many failures.

I know all about the issue with the Panther wheels. I just could not resist the build. The next one will be more conventional.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello.

Here is my idea.

This is a mid to late 1944 version.

For 1947 I would add HVSS and maybe applique armour.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Hatch/library/Modelling%20American%20Armor/M4A1%2090mm%20Wet

Michael in Cloverdale.

Very nice, check out the inprocees M4A3E2 90mm in the What If's.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would VVSS have been strong enough to take the weight of the full M26 turret?

Probably. The M4A3E2 really stressed the VVSS, but it worked, and the M26 turret is lighter over all. It would be top heavy so the wider HVSS might be the best way to go.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You know...

The torsion bar test tank is described in the Hunnicutt book, and there is a web site with a lot more good pictures of the suspension (google M4E4). The project was dropped because of many failures.

I know all about the issue with the Panther wheels. I just could not resist the build. The next one will be more conventional.

BTW- Not criticizing your work, or trying to steal your thunder- I was just adding a little bit of trivia to your fine post.

YOU'VE DONE A VERY NICE JOB, INDEED!

Also, I wasn't referring to just the Panther's interleaved Suspension, specifically; my observation was a broad statement covering ALL vehicles with interleaved suspensions. In other words, any German Tank, AFV, or Half-track using this type of suspension, of which there were quite a few. I can't recall at the moment whether any other combatants used the interleaved suspension-design before, during, or after WWII...

PS- I AM going to Google the M4E4 as per your suggestion, THANKS!!!
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
The French used overlapping, although not exactly interleaved, road wheel suspension in a few of their early postwar medium and heavy tank designs.

Besides the fact that interleaved suspension allowed better weight distribution, both interleaved or overlapping suspension allowed more road wheel axles per side. This materially improve the ride. It also allows the use of larger road wheels while still having lots of road wheel axles per side. Larger road wheels also improve the ride over rough terrain, and additionally Added protection to hull sides, and very important for Germans, allows the lower quality rubber tires on the road wheels to last longer.

Besides vulnerability to ice and mud, and maintenance demand, another reason for these forms of suspension not being used after the war is better metallurgy allowed torsion bars with lower spring rates and much higher maximum deflection. This allowed ride comparable or better than what the Germans sought with interleaved and overlapped suspensions without the headache and vulnerability to ice and mud.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW- Not criticizing your work, or trying to steal your thunder- I was just adding a little bit of trivia to your fine post.

YOU'VE DONE A VERY NICE JOB, INDEED!

Also, I wasn't referring to just the Panther's interleaved Suspension, specifically; my observation was a broad statement covering ALL vehicles with interleaved suspensions. In other words, any German Tank, AFV, or Half-track using this type of suspension, of which there were quite a few. I can't recall at the moment whether any other combatants used the interleaved suspension-design before, during, or after WWII...

PS- I AM going to Google the M4E4 as per your suggestion, THANKS!!!

I did not take your thoughts as criticism, and I am open to yours and everyone elses ideas. It was already pointed out that I more or less over did this one, for the goals I set up. At work I have a lot of time to think things over, and have decided on how the next tanks is going to be, except the gun.

One of my goals is to make these not IDF M50. I don't like the M50 gun mantlet. I also do not want the gun mantlet to block the drivers hatch. SO it's either the Panther F sows head, or a cut down Panther G mantlet, or something like the T-34.
gemerim
Visit this Community
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
KitMaker: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi Randall!
Very nice "Wath If" project. My compliments.
I'm around with something that should be baptized as a Jagdpanzer Sherman or so. I put together a M4A3E8 Academy suspension with a Jagdpanzer IV A-0 and came across with this:

Thanks.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
This is really cool! I love the "what if" modeling and what might have been! Keep up the good work!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Randall!
Very nice "Wath If" project. My compliments.
I'm around with something that should be baptized as a Jagdpanzer Sherman or so. I put together a M4A3E8 Academy suspension with a Jagdpanzer IV A-0 and came across with this:
Thanks.

Very interesting and well done!

You have given me some great ideas for my JagdSherman project!

Thank you for sharing your model with us.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
As for "sounds like a novel":

Red Gambit

series of novels while not identical has the same basic concept and does some "kitbashing" as well. Readable and has some ideas for modelling.

Red/Blue/Black Effect and Armageddons Song are two series of novels set much later (cold war and post cold war respectively) that also have "modelling ideas" in it.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:18 PM UTC
'The Seventh Carrier' by Peter Albano is another great 'what if' series of books. Its closer to modern days and there are two new coalitions of allies. It is more aircraft-related though...
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really cool! I love the "what if" modeling and what might have been! Keep up the good work!

What If's have interested me for years. As Bugs Bunny said, "I shoulda made that right tourn at Albekurky". Who knows what could have been.