Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Campaign 750+
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 09:24 AM UTC
Here's my entry to this campaign. Bronco Model's SWS with Flakvierling. Parts count isn't stated on the box or manual so I had to count it myself; 762 including PE parts.

I'll be building the SWS as a cargo carrier with the flak in a towed position. The Sd.AH 52 trailer and base will be taken from the ancient Tamiya Flakvierling kit (hey it was cheap!) and the cargo will be a mixture of scratchbuilds, spares and aftermarkets.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:19 AM UTC
@Cary: Glad to have you join our lines! You are not too late and as Clayton mentioned, having started it earlier is also not a problem. That kit is going to be a monster once finished. Let us know about the storage solution you'll find

@John: Thanks for the link and welcome to the campaign!

@Bryan: Sounds like "project Frankenstein" Glad to have you join!
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thanks Christian.

This will be my first ever Bronco AFV kit with high parts count and complexity. Frankly I'm quite daunted as I've mainly been building Tamiyas and a couple of Dragons. This kit will definitely be quite a challenge but I'm eager nonetheless.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@John: Thanks for the link and welcome to the campaign!

Thanks !!
I will be happy if I can finish it on time..
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:37 PM UTC
base color on and time for some detail painting.

mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
Looking good, Mark. Will you be able to see into the engine compartment once everything's buttoned up?

What do you think of the kit so far far? Squadron has it 50% off today only and I'm thinking seriously of picking one up.

Cary
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:37 AM UTC
Well here I go. Started construction on the lower chassis. By the looks of it, she'll be quite a large vehicle. (She better be, given the price of the kit)

Also did the wheels. I like that the front tyres come in separate slices (about 6 each). The detail is really very good once it all comes together.

Next, I'll be continuing on with the rest of the lower chassis and the engine which looks to be a pretty complicated affair.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:22 AM UTC
What a great start, Mark! Love the looks of the painted engine. Were all the cables/pipes visible on the generator(?) behind the engine all included in the kit?

I know the Trumpeter Scud had the option to fold up the cabin to make the engine at least partially visible so maybe this is also an option on this kit?

Those wheels indeed look very good, Bryan. But six parts per wheel/tire seems a bit "over-engineered" just for the sake of it.
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, Mark. Will you be able to see into the engine compartment once everything's buttoned up?

What do you think of the kit so far far? Squadron has it 50% off today only and I'm thinking seriously of picking one up.

Caryr

Thanks,so far great kit everithing Fits good,i haven't seen the option of opening something to see the engine.
If you can buy the kit with 50 percent discount go for it
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What a great start, Mark! Love the looks of the painted engine. Were all the cables/pipes visible on the generator(?) behind the engine all included in the kit?

I know the Trumpeter Scud had the option to fold up the cabin to make the engine at least partially visible so maybe this is also an option on this kit?

Those wheels indeed look very good, Bryan. But six parts per wheel/tire seems a bit "over-engineered" just for the sake of it.

All you see is from the kit only aftermarket im going to use are the wheels
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

True, but then again isn't this a campaign dedicated to over-engineered kits?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:54 AM UTC
True that!
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC
made a start on the exhaust.

dry fit

other parts ready to recive the paint before the go on the chasis

Now made a start on the launch tube carriage.

Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
Mark - You beast is looking really nice, that chassis is well detailed right out of the box.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
That's some building speed!!!

The exhaust looks very, very nice. How did you paint it?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
It is amazing just how many parts some of these kits have. I was looking over a Hobby Boss Soviet T-26 from the 1930s. This is a light tank, a development of the Vickers E or 6 Ton and was used in the Spanish Civil War. I do not recall even seeing an interior. The kit looks like a basic modern model kit. This small model has close to 950 parts!!!
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark - You beast is looking really nice, that chassis is well detailed right out of the box.

Thanks
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's some building speed!!!

The exhaust looks very, very nice. How did you paint it?

I have a lot off free time at the moment so things go fast if you can work each day a few hours on this one.

About the exhaust,i first paintid Matt black,then drybrush with metal color.
Then i have put on oil paints raw umber.when aplied i bruscht it back off and everytime cleaning the pensel on a Paper
Let it all dry over night then i used pigment light rust.

That's what i have doen it's a experiment for me im used to build modern Planes a bit difrent

I hope you understand what i Mean because English is not mine best language

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thank you, Mark! I'll have to give that method a try myself.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:30 PM UTC
Looks great, Mark! I'll have to try that too!
Kanguroo
Visit this Community
Vietnam
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Mark, what a fast build!
It seems the Meng's moulding is more detailed than Trumpeter's. I'll follow your progress.
Regards,
K.
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:08 PM UTC
thanks
Its time for more paint on the parts.

Put them in place.

I have put this chassis next to the trumpeter on to see difrences that will becomethe A-222 Bereg

Regards
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 07:59 PM UTC
Some progress shots. Got a lot of free time now but I'm gonna take my sweet time with this build. There's a lot of stuff I wanna add to it.

Engine had quite a lot of tiny fiddly bits but thankfully, nothing pinged off the tweezers into oblivion.

Attached the engine to the chassis. Other stuff went on without an issue.

Here I encountered a problem while attaching the cab to the chassis - the engine got in the way of the fit.

I had to move the engine further out which meant disconnecting it from the transmission but since it won't be seen anyway, I pegged that as an acceptable compromise.

Painted the chassis in oxide red (Tamiya Hull Red + Flat Red) and the whirly bits in chrome silver, dark iron, gunmetal and semi gloss black (Not sure if accurate, but whatever..). The inner cab is in olive green which will also be the primary colour for the vehicle.

This kit certainly feels like it needs a lot of effort. Gotta have to steel myself for the inevitable session with photoetch..
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
I was really impressed by the Trumpeter Scud chassis but Meng really looks better when shown side-by-side. Too bad most of it will be hidden on the finished model.

Really nice details on the engine and transmission, Bryan. The painted interior looks very nice, too.
combatengineer
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was really impressed by the Trumpeter Scud chassis but Meng really looks better when shown side-by-side. Too bad most of it will be hidden on the finished model.

Really nice details on the engine and transmission, Bryan. The painted interior looks very nice, too.

Yes it is mostly coverd but im thinking when i start my scud to find somthing to open here up so yoo can see al the details of the engine but before i get to that one i have to try to finnish a few things so i get room on the bench and move some boxes