Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Operation Anthropoid
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 01:35 AM UTC
The SS uniforms you see may be from the SD. The security police branch of the general SS. They had a normal SS uniform with cuffband and eagle on the left arm and a diamond shaped patch on the lower left sleeve with the Letters"SD". The Gestapo beastie boys were supposed to be undercover plain clothes and only had a ring,worn with the moniker facing the palm. The leather coat was not always worn and not a uniform.
The black dress uniform blown up over a electric wire sounds way too hollywood to me but you have way more research than I do,so.....obviously your sandbox and your rules apply!
I will be impressed here with whatever you decide.
J
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 09:51 PM UTC
... Where SD means Sicherheitsdienst (security service).
Here's an example of an SD uniform...

I understand the idea of the uniform is tempting... Just wonder how much truth is in it...
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 12:01 AM UTC
Thanks guys, yep Ski couldn’t agree more. So, one vote in favour & two abstentions - as mentioned I don’t know where the flying uniform story comes from but most days I’m inclined to believe it. Plausible given the force/direction of blast, the wires were only about 15-20 ft high, and quite likely a dress uniform would have been laid out on the back seat to avoid creases because Heydrich was headed for Prague airport for a conference with Hitler in Berlin later that same day. I can’t imagine why a (presumed) eye-witness would have made it up – they wouldn’t have known about the uniform, and if it was seat upholstery hanging off the wires that was red so hard to mis-identify.

Many thanks Jerry & Erwin for guidance – green piping = SD? What’s the rank & gold badge? For background (according to Wiki) chief investigator Heinz von Pannwitz “was assigned in 1939 to Prague’s Reich Main Security Office, responsible for the Gestapo control room Unit IIa. After the assassination Pannwitz was promptly ordered at the direction of a Special Commission to investigate the assassination of Heydrich. He was the author of the official final report on the assassination & in September 1942 promoted to Kriminalrat, equivalent to SS-Hauptsturmführer or SS-Sturmbannführer. As Pannwitz was not prepared to remove a Gestapo-critical passage after submitting the official final report, he was heavily criticized by the Gestapo.” So that implies he was not Gestapo, and as he’d been a “career policeman” he must therefore have been SD…? Anyhow regarding his subordinates at the crime scene the closest any photo gets to those guys is this one picking up evidence. His epaulette seems to have silver or white piping…SD or SS?

PS How fitting Jerry you posted the 1,000 reply, seeing as this project is entirely your fault as mentioned at the top of page 1 thanks so much for your unstinting support along with others who know who you are
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys, yep Ski couldn’t agree more. So, one vote in favour & two abstentions - as mentioned I don’t know where the flying uniform story comes from but most days I’m inclined to believe it. Plausible given the force/direction of blast, the wires were only about 15-20 ft high, and quite likely a dress uniform would have been laid out on the back seat to avoid creases because Heydrich was headed for Prague airport for a conference with Hitler in Berlin later that same day. I can’t imagine why a (presumed) eye-witness would have made it up – they wouldn’t have known about the uniform, and if it was seat upholstery hanging off the wires that was red so hard to mis-identify.

Many thanks Jerry & Erwin for guidance – green piping = SD? What’s the rank & gold badge? For background (according to Wiki) chief investigator Heinz von Pannwitz “was assigned in 1939 to Prague’s Reich Main Security Office, responsible for the Gestapo control room Unit IIa. After the assassination Pannwitz was promptly ordered at the direction of a Special Commission to investigate the assassination of Heydrich. He was the author of the official final report on the assassination & in September 1942 promoted to Kriminalrat, equivalent to SS-Hauptsturmführer or SS-Sturmbannführer. As Pannwitz was not prepared to remove a Gestapo-critical passage after submitting the official final report, he was heavily criticized by the Gestapo.” So that implies he was not Gestapo, and as he’d been a “career policeman” he must therefore have been SD…? Anyhow regarding his subordinates at the crime scene the closest any photo gets to those guys is this one picking up evidence. His epaulette seems to have silver or white piping…SD or SS?

PS How fitting Jerry you posted the 1,000 reply, seeing as this project is entirely your fault as mentioned at the top of page 1 thanks so much for your unstinting support along with others who know who you are

Well,you are certainly welcome buddy.
The officer in the pic is hard to identify rank wise. All I see is the silver colored thread of a officers' shoulder strap and of course,riding breeches and high quality boots. The uniform in the previous pic shows a SS Major-(sturmbahnf.)I believe the gold badge was a sports award. "Leistungsabzeichen". The Bundeswehr still awards those and they look much the same. I hard scrabbled a bronze version last time I was stationed in Germany and it was a real ordeal! So,getting the Gold version makes you a real beas and a man amoungst men!
To add further to the mix there was still the regular police. "Polizei" but they had a different uniform and very distinctive hat. Many regular police were folded into the new SS when it became the regimes' new state apparatus. One would think they put a former regular police detective in charge of this investigation because that is what someone like that normally did. But he may have been now serving in the SS in the same job description?
Sorry,long winded answer but the SS was not a simple organisation. I spent years trying to unravel it and now I am spending years trying to unravel the British Regimental system,Hahahahahaaaa!
HTH
J
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 07:26 PM UTC
My pleasure to help...
The English Wiki shows some about the ranks of SD men.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicherheitsdienst

The German shows more. Dunno how well you can read German???
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicherheitsdienst_des_Reichsf%C3%BChrers_SS

About comparisons between ranks:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstgradangleichung
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 03:27 PM UTC
Thanks again to you both for clarifications. Interesting in your 1st link Erwin, just above the table of rank insignia the caption under the SD diamond-badge mentions “here with white piping as used by members of the Gestapo when in uniform (if members of the SS)” – anyhow in the picture you posted earlier the badge is plain i.e. SD which is what I’ll use.

Awkward photography conditions, too windy outside & too bright/too dark inside so apologies for the poor photos. I coated the fencing with Humbrol steel followed by patchy rusty powder-paint to give it some random variation…

Simple brackets so that they’re detachable…

…and the same for the fence by the steps down to the garden…

So now it’s clearer (and unfocussed) the scope of the necessary backdrop…at that end. At least the house will fill in views towards the end of the long fence…

Lamp-posts also got a steel undercoat, acrylic topcoat over which powder-paint rust & grime to taste…

I’ve put the brakes on more detailed weathering/weeds etc until all elements are in situ, this thing will need some careful harmonisation so that nothing looks out of place. Still waiting for the UV lightbox to arrive in order to photo-etch the garden railings, so next are all road-signs & finalising other street furniture. But first another quiz - what colours are in this road-sign, and just for my own interest what does it mean…?

I’m guessing it’s yellow in the middle (if modern Prague signage is any guide) although this sign looks like a recent German occupation one. Also, is this a black arrow with thin red border…?

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 08:54 PM UTC
Beautiful Tim , the fence turned out great . Some very realistic 1/1 looking photos in the mix , very , very cool !!
Signage ? Idunnknowman , Murphy's Law , paint them any color you want . Then the real skinny will appear .....
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well,you are certainly welcome buddy.
The officer in the pic is hard to identify rank wise. All I see is the silver colored thread of a officers' shoulder strap and of course,riding breeches and high quality boots. The uniform in the previous pic shows a SS Major-(sturmbahnf.)I believe the gold badge was a sports award. "Leistungsabzeichen". The Bundeswehr still awards those and they look much the same. I hard scrabbled a bronze version last time I was stationed in Germany and it was a real ordeal! So,getting the Gold version makes you a real beas and a man amoungst men!
To add further to the mix there was still the regular police. "Polizei" but they had a different uniform and very distinctive hat. Many regular police were folded into the new SS when it became the regimes' new state apparatus. One would think they put a former regular police detective in charge of this investigation because that is what someone like that normally did. But he may have been now serving in the SS in the same job description?
Sorry,long winded answer but the SS was not a simple organisation. I spent years trying to unravel it and now I am spending years trying to unravel the British Regimental system,Hahahahahaaaa!
HTH
J

Jerry,

As an aside - ie off topic - I feel the SS is a doddle compared to the British regimental system! That said of course, I'll always help where I can (not that I'm an expert just that some of the 45 years I spent in the aforementioned beast - should have rubbed off on me - British Army that is, not the SS).

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 02:12 AM UTC
Thanks Brian,I always appreciate the well of knowledge.
Tim has made a giant leap in diorama building here. Those views,after the backdrops are added will be the new benchmark I wager,
J
Mushonza
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi Tim,

I have come across your Anthropoid project and found it absolutely fascinating. As someone who was born in (former) Czechoslovakia, I am very interested in the history of Operation Anthropoid. Your diorama is looking to be an incredible piece of artwork that should be placed in a museum! I am looking forward to following your progress.

As for your questions about the road signs, there is an article on the subject on the Czech Wikipedia: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopravn%C3%AD_zna%C4%8Den%C3%AD_v_%C4%8Ceskoslovensku.

According to this article, the first sign would be white in the middle with red edges (marking a road with the right of way in the intersection). The present-day sign with the yellow in the middle and white along the edges was introduced after WWII (not sure exactly when, but believe it was sometime in the 1950's).

The second sign would be a black arrow on a white background. I am not sure there would necessarily be a thin red border, but it is possible (it would be present on the full round version of the road sign, however).

Hope this helps! Looking forward to following your project!

Jan

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tim,

I have come across your Anthropoid project and found it absolutely fascinating. As someone who was born in (former) Czechoslovakia, I am very interested in the history of Operation Anthropoid. Your diorama is looking to be an incredible piece of artwork that should be placed in a museum! I am looking forward to following your progress.

As for your questions about the road signs, there is an article on the subject on the Czech Wikipedia: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopravn%C3%AD_zna%C4%8Den%C3%AD_v_%C4%8Ceskoslovensku.

According to this article, the first sign would be white in the middle with red edges (marking a road with the right of way in the intersection). The present-day sign with the yellow in the middle and white along the edges was introduced after WWII (not sure exactly when, but believe it was sometime in the 1950's).

The second sign would be a black arrow on a white background. I am not sure there would necessarily be a thin red border, but it is possible (it would be present on the full round version of the road sign, however).

Jan

so this one? -Czechoslovak road sign from the 1938 law (č. 82/1938 Sb. z. a n.) Czechoslovakia_1938_road_sign_-_Priority_Road

sorry as I was unclear on which sign?
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 11:50 PM UTC
I've been searching all over the web,but could find the colour combination of the diamond shaped sign. Only in modern colours. White wih a red edge (meaning you have right of way). This one seems to have a multi coloured edge...
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 12:57 AM UTC
Thanks guys & Jerry that’s a big call, you’re too kind & of course I’ll argue against it - maybe a new benchmark in Muddling Through & there’s a bunch more question marks on my list to come!

Hey Jan - welcome to Armorama, and this great Diorama forum, and my little vignette. Thanks so much for going to the trouble of responding to the quiz – which you’ve won of course, although the only prize I can offer is a place in the list of Contributors in the final Credits. I’d tried Google-imaging “ww2/pre-war Czech road signs” & related keywords & only got modern ones, I never broke into Czech-Wiki. So yes the “diamond” sign must be white with red borders, as illustrated by Stuart (thanks mate!) and Erwin that’s what I thought too, but presumably the marked difference in shade between the upper and lower borders is because the edge is bevelled, creating shadow? Such a right-of-way sign makes sense in that location, probably encouraging vehicles to keep away from the parallel tram-ways.

And yes on closer inspection I don’t think the arrow in the 2nd photo has a border - there are 4 of them spread around this diorama and I think I detected a faint edge in one of the others but won’t bother with it. I tend to believe these arrows (along with several big white square “D” signs with thick borders, there’s one just visible down the street from the diamond sign) were all black & likely directions for the Occupation force rather than local signs.

Here’s another question – the indistinct letters/words in the sign on the railings…

The 1st line looks like “Kirim hollrichomits” which makes no sense to me or Google-translate. 2nd line “ V Holesovickach”? 3rd line - impossible. The gardens were in the grounds of the Institute for Geological & Coal Research but none of those words in Czech seem to match the sign - the suburb is of course Holešovice. Maybe the 1st line says “No trespassing”?! Incidentally the diamond sign’s seen side-on in this shot, it doesn’t look particularly bevelled but I guess it must be.

Anyhow thanks again all, any further input most welcome
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
It actally says the following:

Klein Holleschowitz (a village in the neighbourhood)

V Holešovičkách

Looking up the first gives me the following:

https://obalky.kosmas.cz/ArticleFiles/215627/215627_uk.pdf/FILE/Anthropoid_215627_uk.pdf
Some stunning pics in there....

The second is a streetname
https://en.mapy.cz/zakladni?x=14.4555254&y=50.1164242&z=16&source=stre&id=122522

3rd line: district name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libe%C5%88 (in German, first word: Lieben)

Prague 8 is a munipal district:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_8

Conclusion, it is a street sign.

TomCZE
Visit this Community
Severomoravsky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 02:47 AM UTC
Here you are:

1st line - Klein-Holleschowitz
2nd line - K Holešovičkám (street name in Czech)
3rd line - Lieben VIII Libeň (part of Prague)

Few nice pics: https://obalky.kosmas.cz/ArticleFiles/215627/215627_uk.pdf/FILE/Anthropoid_215627_uk.pdf
HTH
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here you are:

Few nice pics: https://obalky.kosmas.cz/ArticleFiles/215627/215627_uk.pdf/FILE/Anthropoid_215627_uk.pdf
HTH

We are great detectives, aren't we???
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 03:01 AM UTC
And, before you ask: the German words are written in the font called Fette Faktur. If needed, I can provide you with this font... Just drop me a PM.
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here you are:

HTH

We are great detectives, aren't we???

Hi Erwin,

I have this image of you now waddling around like Hercule Poirot, .

Cheers, ,

G
Mushonza
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 04:30 AM UTC
Yes, it is this one. It is in the picture next to Heydrich's car.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Tim,

Jan

so this one? -Czechoslovak road sign from the 1938 law (č. 82/1938 Sb. z. a n.) Czechoslovakia_1938_road_sign_-_Priority_Road

sorry as I was unclear on which sign?

Mushonza
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC
Just a small correction on line 2. The street name in Czech is "V Holešovičkách".

Quoted Text

It actally says the following:

Klein Holleschowitz (a village in the neighbourhood)

V Holešovičkách

Looking up the first gives me the following:

https://obalky.kosmas.cz/ArticleFiles/215627/215627_uk.pdf/FILE/Anthropoid_215627_uk.pdf
Some stunning pics in there....

The second is a streetname
https://en.mapy.cz/zakladni?x=14.4555254&y=50.1164242&z=16&source=stre&id=122522

3rd line: district name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libe%C5%88 (in German, first word: Lieben)

Prague 8 is a munipal district:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_8

Conclusion, it is a street sign.

Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Erwin,

I have this image of you now waddling around like Hercule Poirot, .

Cheers, ,

G

Accross the internet that is...
This font can be quite hard to read... But since I am not unknown in German I knew to decipher some key letters, which led me to a larger pic of the same sign... and so on...
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a small correction on line 2. The street name in Czech is "V Holešovičkách".

Wrong quote
Mushonza
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 04:50 AM UTC
Thank you for your kind words, Tim! Here is a look at the first road sign in a museum of roads in a small town in the Czech Republic: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vik%C3%BD%C5%99ovice,_Muzeum_silnic_(04).jpg#/media/Soubor:Vikýřovice,_Muzeum_silnic_(04).jpg

I believe the black arrow is a regular Czech road sign showing the allowed direction of traffic.

Can you post a photo of the square white "D" sign? Not sure what that would be but can have a look.

Quoted Text

Thanks guys & Jerry that’s a big call, you’re too kind & of course I’ll argue against it - maybe a new benchmark in Muddling Through & there’s a bunch more question marks on my list to come!

Hey Jan - welcome to Armorama, and this great Diorama forum, and my little vignette. Thanks so much for going to the trouble of responding to the quiz – which you’ve won of course, although the only prize I can offer is a place in the list of Contributors in the final Credits. I’d tried Google-imaging “ww2/pre-war Czech road signs” & related keywords & only got modern ones, I never broke into Czech-Wiki. So yes the “diamond” sign must be white with red borders, as illustrated by Stuart (thanks mate!) and Erwin that’s what I thought too, but presumably the marked difference in shade between the upper and lower borders is because the edge is bevelled, creating shadow? Such a right-of-way sign makes sense in that location, probably encouraging vehicles to keep away from the parallel tram-ways.

And yes on closer inspection I don’t think the arrow in the 2nd photo has a border - there are 4 of them spread around this diorama and I think I detected a faint edge in one of the others but won’t bother with it. I tend to believe these arrows (along with several big white square “D” signs with thick borders, there’s one just visible down the street from the diamond sign) were all black & likely directions for the Occupation force rather than local signs.

Here’s another question – the indistinct letters/words in the sign on the railings…

The 1st line looks like “Kirim hollrichomits” which makes no sense to me or Google-translate. 2nd line “ V Holesovickach”? 3rd line - impossible. The gardens were in the grounds of the Institute for Geological & Coal Research but none of those words in Czech seem to match the sign - the suburb is of course Holešovice. Maybe the 1st line says “No trespassing”?! Incidentally the diamond sign’s seen side-on in this shot, it doesn’t look particularly bevelled but I guess it must be.

Anyhow thanks again all, any further input most welcome

Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC
I think Tim means the sign on the far right:
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 06:51 PM UTC
Wow a big thank you guys:

Erwin – your 2nd link even had a reasonable blow-up of the sign itself, perfect. And you anticipated the next headache very well about the font but are you sure it’s Fette Fraktur? See below, I can see it’s very close but compare the small “k” of “klein” & small “s” of “holleschowitz”… I get the impression there are several versions of FF, could you just check if yours is OK before we proceed...

Tom – even better, now I’ve no excuse for getting the accents wrong. I was relieved to see you posted the same link as one of Erwin’s, which I’ve been using since the beginning – “relieved” because I always half-dread an unknown new picture-archive revealing something I’ve guessed or estimated to be totally wrong…& I’m still expecting some battered old Agfa print to show up proving the house was blue.

Jan – your link was extra-useful for the colours of some other signs I have to replicate…which begs the question: What colours were in the V Holešovičkách sign? I’ve been assuming black with white letters but now I’m not sure about anything in monochrome……and my desk-printer doesn’t accept gold cartridges.

The same uncertainty principle colour-wise now applies to the “D” signs, here’s a slightly better shot…

There will be 3 of these in the dio, each has the arrow nailed beneath it although the 4th arrow (pictured on Sept 5th and visible here too) appears on its own, but they’re clearly associated. I don’t know what “D” stands for but these signs look quite new compared to others, which is why I’ve thought they were Occupation. From their positions they seem to be indicating a route (in both directions) rather than anything relating to traffic conditions, but I have an infinite capacity for being wrong