Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Italian Campaign 1943-1945
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 12:34 AM UTC
Bryan, happy to see your entry. Tamiya has REALLY stepped up their game of late and am curious to see how this one builds.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 07:32 AM UTC
I believe the Italian Campaign Wespe is the same kit that Tamiya released in 1996 - kit 35200. This time round they added figures, link and length tracks (and a new sprocket which is the same as the original), two Mg 34 and ammo tins and some ammo for the main gun.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe the Italian Campaign Wespe is the same kit that Tamiya released in 1996 - kit 35200. This time round they added figures, link and length tracks (and a new sprocket which is the same as the original), two Mg 34 and ammo tins and some ammo for the main gun.

I never built the original, and weapons need bodies with them. Bodies are also great for hiding certain 'lacking' equipment. So this kit fits all of my needs... except for talent.'

gaz
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 02:44 PM UTC
Time for my first update

The base of my Sherman V is built and I have to say I really enjoyed this build. It was challenging in all the best ways. And no, I don't mean typical Dragon instruction issues, flash etc but in that I really had to research this vehicle to make it as accurate as possible (apart from those weird welds Dragon put on the front plate)

It also didn't help that while this was a M4A4 it is for a vehicle based in Burma so lacked certain parts. You will note 3 different colours of plastic. I ended up scavenging the gun mantle, side skirts and rear turret stowage from Asuka kits in the stash. There are also parts from 2 other Dragon Sherman's on this. Conversely I also had to figure out what parts to omit.

Getting the mantle to fit was surprisingly easy, getting the gun barrel in was not.

Fun fact, the stowage bin on the back of Africa/Italy Sherman V's is different to that of EOT Sherman V's.

Accuracy of the vehicle wise I have done the best I could. I only had 2 pictures taken from the rear facing angles so cant see the front all that well. I had to make some educated guessed on the rest based on research and pictures of other V's in theatre.

I am still undecided on the tracks. While the T49's are appropriate and would look very nice I am not sure I am willing to invest the time and effort to make them. 830+ pieces vs 2 DS tracks.....

Stowage and painting come next. I have opted to model this without crew and while I think the pictures I posted earlier would make for a great Dio, I just am not into doing those.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 04:09 PM UTC
Looks great, Rory! I have been told that rubberband and DS tracks are great for the Sherman because you don't need to replicate sag. So why suffer?

Bet it'll look awesome under some paint.

Gaz
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 07:47 PM UTC
Great looking build Rory!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great, Rory! I have been told that rubberband and DS tracks are great for the Sherman because you don't need to replicate sag. So why suffer?

Bet it'll look awesome under some paint.

Gaz

Ditto! DS tracks will work and look fine. Nice work with the modification you made. She will be sweet looking when finished.

Mark
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 12:48 AM UTC
I would still do T49 track but I would use the RHPS or Panda Plastics set.

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/panda/panda_t49.html

Much simpler construction. I just finished up a set for a Marine M4A1 Cape Gloucester build.

The Bronco set reminds me of the Modelkasten set in that it seems overly complicated for what it is trying to replicate. I could see that if you wanted to paint other types of track, steel and rubber but the T49 is not that. I am sure others know more but that is my take.

I am thinking of jumping in this build with a started Tamiya Schwimmwagen captured by the 100th Inf.

McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those look really good but I think I will go with the DS tracks. I was only going to use the T49's because I had them in my stash (got them at a show for like $6) and didn't quite realize the part count
JohnDoe4th
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 06:25 AM UTC
AMAZING builds and EXCELLENT information Gents!!

Ill be starting on my Stug II f/8 hopefully this 4 day Holiday weekend (Thanksgiving).

JohnA
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/panda/panda_t49.html

Much simpler construction. I just finished up a set for a Marine M4A1 Cape Gloucester build.

The Bronco set reminds me of the Modelkasten set in that it seems overly complicated for what it is trying to replicate. I could see that if you wanted to paint other types of track, steel and rubber but the T49 is not that. I am sure others know more but that is my take.

I am thinking of jumping in this build with a started Tamiya Schwimmwagen captured by the 100th Inf.

Please do! We're always happy to have more!

Gaz
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 01:05 PM UTC
Some work with oils:

I've heard some ppl use black to highlight the zimmerit. Seems it would look garish to me.

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 03:23 PM UTC
Looking Good Gaz.

Yes, black is way too dark and stark. Very Dark, but still discernable Brown would be as far as I would (and do) go.

Just something for the future, and because I know you appreciate tips, when you have as much sag in the tracks as you do, the tracks tend to hang more curved off the outside edge of the Idler, not up tight to the bottom like yours do. There are no teeth to hold the track up like the sprocket, so the weight makes them slip down a tad and gravity makes them curve toward the road wheel, instead being a stretched near straight length of track.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 03:28 PM UTC
Thanks Peter! I need a lot more practice with indy links.

Gaz
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 07:59 PM UTC
Aloha,

Gaz: looking Great!

It will be a while before I can start building in earnest, but thought I'd post my start shot. Tamiya's 1/35th M10

Happy Modeling,
Zon
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thank you, Zon!

Great choice! I wonder if any of them got any unusual paint schemes.

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, Zon!

Gaz

Maybe....

Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 11:38 PM UTC
I started this tread for some questions on my build. question

Dunkelgelb or OD color?
Aftermarket tires needed and which Def Model type or any other manufacturer?
What would be the best Japanese Americans head to use for two figures?
The jeep driver might work but his man spread doesn't work well with the schwimm interior, so a good talking too and a fine should put him in his place.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I started this tread for some questions on my build. question

Dunkelgelb or OD color?
Aftermarket tires needed and which Def Model type or any other manufacturer?
What would be the best Japanese Americans head to use for two figures?
The jeep driver might work but his man spread doesn't work well with the schwimm interior, so a good talking too and a fine should put him in his place.

Hi Ryan

Here is a somewhat clearer picture:

Look closely at the upward point of the star on the side. You can still see the original data information placard. This indicates only the stars were painted on the original Dunkelgelb.

Most Resin replacement wheels for the Scwimmwagen are the wider off road pattern. You are better off looking at basic Kubelwagen wheels as they have the narrow profile in the pic. e.g. Hussars set seems to be the right pattern with a more noticeable chevron type pattern than the DEF ones have:

I have a few sets of Hussar wheels and they are very good fit and do not have blemishes or air bubbles like some others I have acquired.
For heads consider Hornet HH07. These are bare heads that you could cover with a helmet suitably modified by hollowing it out or cutting off the top of the head to fit the helmet.

I hope this helps.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, Zon!

Gaz

Gaz: my first thought is to have the tan camo applied, but I’ll have to see how it goes. I wanted to do something from the 645th TD, but am only finding after market decals for the 601st TD, but some of them had bright yellow markings which could also add some interest. The kit decals are all Normandy.

Pete: thanks for the images. First graphic I’ve seen of one from the 645.

Happy Modeling,
Zon
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 03:18 PM UTC
No prob Zon,

The graphic is labelled the 654th - a different unit that did not go to Italy as we know..... a simple typo
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No prob Zon,

The graphic is labelled the 654th - a different unit that did not go to Italy as we know..... a simple typo

Pete: nice catch. My dislexia skipped right past that typo. Yes, the 654 was in northern France, but after D-Day, so the date supports that vehicle being part of the 645. Thanks again.

Zon
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 - 05:18 PM UTC
Where I am at with 'Annie':

I will be done way before the deadline; I can use the time I have left to do the figures that came with it.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 - 10:24 PM UTC
Some rockin' progress, Shell. Figures will give it scale and life.

My Sturmpanzer IV dodn't come with figures. But I've got some Luftwaffe infantry and some leftover panzer dudes to help it along.

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 - 10:43 PM UTC
Nice to see her started Shell.