Italeri M4A1 76mm Group Build
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did it the "old school" way; a big flat x-acto blade followed up with fine steel wool. I'll shoot a pic tonight to show it.

Bob--appreciate your assistance. Look forward to seeing the photos.
thanks again
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 06:49 AM UTC
I think a little "wear" on your road wheels will add character to your models...

I wouldn't be too hot on replicating a "baby's butt smooth" finish, but that's just me

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a little "wear" on your road wheels will add character to your models...

I wouldn't be too hot on replicating a "baby's butt smooth" finish, but that's just me

Gunnie

Gunnie--as for now, I am interested in how he did it more than anything else.
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC
Col DJ,

Here is what my roadwheels go thru. I call it "Old School' because I use my hands, an X-Acto with a # 10 blade, and fine steel wool...this was similar to the way my Dad cleans up pieces for his ship models. I basically get a good grip on the wheel, place the blade perpendicular to the wheel seam to be removed, and scrape toward my thumb...somehow I still have a thumb. When done scraping, I use fine steel wool and polish till I'm satisfied.
For whatever reason (probably a short between the seat and the keyboard) I can not get the images to show, so I will post the likn to the pictures in the MSN album here.

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/m60a3sdieseldragondynasty.msnw?Page=5

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Col DJ,

Here is what my roadwheels go thru. I call it "Old School' because I use my hands, an X-Acto with a # 10 blade, and fine steel wool...this was similar to the way my Dad cleans up pieces for his ship models. I basically get a good grip on the wheel, place the blade perpendicular to the wheel seam to be removed, and scrape toward my thumb...somehow I still have a thumb. When done scraping, I use fine steel wool and polish till I'm satisfied.
For whatever reason (probably a short between the seat and the keyboard) I can not get the images to show, so I will post the likn to the pictures in the MSN album here.

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/m60a3sdieseldragondynasty.msnw?Page=5

Bob--thanks. I look forward to seeing the photos.
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:13 AM UTC
Col,

They are there...
diesel dragon dynasty
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Col,

They are there...
diesel dragon dynasty

Bob--most helpful. I thank you for the time you spent putting it together.
thanks again
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
No problem,Col...I actually find it to be theraputic...
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone have any closeup photos of what the antenna mount on the rear of the turret looks like? I've gone through all of my references and can't seem to find any good photos.

Hi Adam

Are you trying to make a US version antenna as opposed to the British version? I used a piece of plastic with wire wrapped around it. I think the Squadron Sherman Walk-Around book has good photos.

Also, most of the tools included are British items, not US. So you can use leftovers from other Sherman kits (Academy or AFV Club TD tools would work too). I have a Verlinden US OVE set that I used.

Andy
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you trying to make a US version antenna as opposed to the British version? I used a piece of plastic with wire wrapped around it. I think the Squadron Sherman Walk-Around book has good photos.

Also, most of the tools included are British items, not US. So you can use leftovers from other Sherman kits (Academy or AFV Club TD tools would work too). I have a Verlinden US OVE set that I used.

So the antenna mount included in the is British? No wonder I couldn't find any pictures of it in the Sherman Walk Around book.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So the antenna mount included in the is British? No wonder I couldn't find any pictures of it in the Sherman Walk Around book.

Hi Adam

Yep. The Italeri kit is based on a post-war cast hul Sherman used in Spain (if all the stuff I've read on various sites is correct). The step in the gun barrel was there because this museum piece had some work done on it. Italeri copied that. The OVE and other fittings were not US style. So you have a bit of a motley mess as the base vehicle. Italeri is consistent anyway. Their DUKW is the same, a post-war vehicle with modifications marketed as WW2. And the Chaffee, and the M8/M20...

Your kit is progressing well. Looks good. I have never bothered to replace the big lifting lugs with wire because they are large welded pieces. Have you a solution for the periscope guards?

Andy
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your kit is progressing well. Looks good. I have never bothered to replace the big lifting lugs with wire because they are large welded pieces. Have you a solution for the periscope guards?

Thanks for the kind words, Andy. Pretty much everyone said the same thing about the lifting lugs and I didn't replace them. Everyone was right after really paying attention to photos it is obvious that they were huge hunks of metal and need not be replaced. About the periscope guards: I tried to solder them and failed miserably because I couldn't get the joints strong enough to withstand handling to bend the pieces into shape. I may try that one more time but with a jig to help hold things in place and if that doesn't work I will probably try to use CA to glue the wire together. Either way it is a tedious and annoying process.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Adam.

I took some pics of my nearly finished M4A176. I'll try to get those posted soon, and you can see how I attempted the kit.

Cheers
Andy
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC
Okay, I posted some in progress stuff in the Armorama MSN Groups site. New additions to the diesel dragon dynast can be found on pages 5 & 6.

Sherman Pics on Diesel Dragon Dynasty
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I posted some in progress stuff in the Armorama MSN Groups site. New additions to the diesel dragon dynast can be found on pages 5 & 6.

Sherman Pics on Diesel Dragon Dynasty

Bob---switch gears for a minute. You used insta rust on your DAK tank. Can you supply details (where did you get it, cost, easy of use, etc.)
thanks
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Sure, I picked it up at Michael's Craft Store (nationwide chain) here in Austell, GA. IIRC, about ten dollars. So easy, even I could do it.(LOL!)
The set includes instant metal, which I brushed on my primed muffler. After letting it set overnight, I added the first application of the rusting formula. Another 24 hours later, I added my secong application. When I got home from work that afternoon, it was pretty much as seen in the pics. I will use the same thing on the M4A1 exhaust pipes. Give a great grainy rusty finish in two applications.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 03:53 PM UTC
Okay, gang! What step are we all on? Is everyone still with us?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still on 5 & 6. I've never done much scratch-building before so the going is slow for me. I've got everything from those 2 steps done except the tools, periscope guards, and tow cable. I have the shovel & axe attached and I've got some of the attachement points for the pickaxe's head on. I need to finish attaching the pickaxe and then move on to the remaining tools and then beat my head against the tow cable attachment points again and the periscope guards.

I already have the turret mostly finished as well. I have a couple small things to attach and then build, detail, and attach the .50 cal.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hi Guys. Firstly apologies for only getting started now and asking questions that should have been asked a few weeks ago.
I completed step 1 tonight, and think the working boogies are quite cool. If it wasn´t for the stiff track to be used, this would be easy to show it climbing over something.
I read through the entire thread so far and this wasn´t mentioned!
In step 2, for the sprockets, a choice is given between 13A and 15A. Which should I use? Is there any recommendations here? Obviously there is a reason why they supply both, why is this? Thanks for any help given!!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:11 PM UTC
Plastic B., part # 13A is for an early variant, while 15A is the late version. It does not matter much which you use as these could have been replaced at anytime during use...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still playing with the hull's details. I'm just about finished with the periscope's guards.
I've only just finished the turret's texture.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thanks Ken. I thought it might be along those lines, but I just wanted to be sure.
All the best
Frank
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I started this...
Suspension and running gear in place, lower hull except for the tracks. The turret is almost complete and the upper hull, turret and transmission cover have been textured. Hull fittings are next.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Me too - I'm still with everyone. Just playin' catch up because I got distracted. I'm so weak! I finished my M45 Pershing Conversion and built-up the Italeri DUKW between working on my Sherman.

Now - I have that dang Strv 103B whispering to me from the shadows...

I'm just texturing my Sherman hull. It's kinda of a slow process to buildup a sand-cast texture on it right now. I can't wait to finish that and move on to painting...

Gunnie
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
I'm just texturing my Sherman hull. It's kinda of a slow process to buildup a sand-cast texture on it right now. I can't wait to finish that and move on to painting...

Gunnie

Gunnie, What is your technique for replicating texture?