_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Discussion Group Banners.... Moderators
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 06:19 AM UTC
Some of you may have noted some changes with the way the old "Group" system works in the forums. They are now called "Discussion Groups". Each DG can have a banner image (468 x 60 pixels) and a unique moderator (or moderators).

Banners

I have put some placeholder banners in for Armor/Softskins and Armor/IDF so you can see how they look. To access a DG you just go to the main forum and click on the DG label below.

We need banners for these so if you're artistically inclined and want to contribute banners for these areas please do. The banners can also be used by members in their signature lines if they'd like.

Moderators

I would really like to enhance our use of these discussion groups and try to make them competitive with other sites in terms of providing a great source of information exchange and community.

Particularly I was interested in filling roles for these DG's:

Armor: Modern
Armor: Modern USA
Armor: Softskins
Armor: Vietnam
Armor: IDF
Armor: Canadian
Armor: Early Armor

Warships: Submarines!

Figures: Sculpting
Figures: Imperial Age

If you have a keen interest in moderating one of these (or and DG) please contact me. This is an open invitation to anyone reading this message, however keep in mind we are looking for people who have a lot of knowledge on the subject at hand.

If you have already contacted me about this please be patient as my response times can vary a bit. I will get back to you though.

Thanks,
Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
I don't mind helping out in the Braille Scale and Modern USA DGs.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
I don't know if this will help or not but I usually don't use those. I go straight to the Latest Posts link instead of going through all the Forums. Unless the new post flag goes all the way to the bottom of the Latest Post page I know I have covered every new thread since my last visit.

Perhaps you may want to figure out a way in incorpoarte the DG groups into the Latest Posts page??
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know if this will help or not but I usually don't use those. I go straight to the Latest Posts link instead of going through all the Forums. Unless the new post flag goes all the way to the bottom of the Latest Post page I know I have covered every new thread since my last visit.

Perhaps you may want to figure out a way in incorpoarte the DG groups into the Latest Posts page??

They already are. They just show up as the main forum they belong to. So a "sofkskins" post shows up in the Armor/AFV forum. The Latest Posts is a "side-door" entry for regulars of the site not for occasional visitors or someone whose interest is more specifically focused. Those people tend to visit the forum through the front door so the groups are more noticable to them.

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mind helping out in the Braille Scale and Modern USA DGs.

Rob,
Thanks! Since you are a "global" armor mod now I would need to figure a way around the single mod per forum restriction. I can do that though it will just take some more fine tuning.

Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
I have to admit - I"m scratching my head.
As a moderator I cover all the diorama DGs. So does this affect me?

I'm happy to continue and enjoy it, so consider my name in the hat for any or all. I've 'been around the block' on pretty much everything in the DGs.

I'll take any help from others.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:37 AM UTC
DOH! My mistake! I should have said that when I read posts I don't sort by discussion group. I just go directly to the thread from the Latest Post page. I do post in the proper group. Only if you go into the individual forums can you filter by DGs
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
I'm more than happy to be a moderator also.
Plop me where ever you feel, I would be of the most use.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to admit - I"m scratching my head.
As a moderator I cover all the diorama DGs. So does this affect me?

In effect when a DG moderator is put in place they become the defacto moderator (your callsign would not be listed as a mod in that group). Whether this means your moderator powers are still working or not I am not sure. But in either case you would only be responsible for those areas that are not covered by a DG moderator (so in your case Scott that will probably be all of them for some time).

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm more than happy to be a moderator also.
Plop me where ever you feel, I would be of the most use.

Dave,
While I appriciate the desire to help out, I guess I wasn't really clear about what I am looking for. By "Moderator" I don't just mean someone who is checking in occasionally to keep the site clear of problems, I also mean a "Host". Someone who is well versed in the DG topic and will not only respond to requests, questions, etc, but will also initiate topics to stir interest and conversation. So in plain english... I am looking for someone who will take this role and run with it. Someone who wants to make their area the "next" great online forum location for topic "x".

Now that I have re-phrased my request, if you still want to volunteer for a DG please let me know *which one*.

:p

Jim
Sabot
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
Now that you've clarified the duty description, I don't mind "hosting" the Braille Scale armor DG. Perhaps if you also added a 1/48 scale armor DG, I could host that as well. Perhaps call it 48 Scale or Quarter Scale Armor.

Still not clear how this will or will not effect my moderator duties or if both duties will exist simultaneously.
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Jim:

I've made several banners and awards in my life here at Armorama. I'd be more than happy to help you with the graphics. If you want me to just propose ideas I will. If you want to give me specific direction to how they should look, or tie into the site, then that would work as well. Just let me know and I'll get going on them

John
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that you've clarified the duty description, I don't mind "hosting" the Braille Scale armor DG. Perhaps if you also added a 1/48 scale armor DG, I could host that as well. Perhaps call it 48 Scale or Quarter Scale Armor.

Still not clear how this will or will not effect my moderator duties or if both duties will exist simultaneously.

Rob,
A 1/48 Scale forum would definately be a good thing. I will set it up tonight if I can remember it.

It will be your call on whether you want to remain a moderator for the full Armor forum (or un-moderated DGs). I prefer specialization to be honest. And having these DG's is just a means to having topics broken down into logical groups. This is one of the reasons we don't have like 5 different main level forums for Armor. I just don't see the need for it if they can be kept in one central "parent" area. I am just hoping that people can see the logic in this.

Thanks!
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim:

I've made several banners and awards in my life here at Armorama. I'd be more than happy to help you with the graphics. If you want me to just propose ideas I will. If you want to give me specific direction to how they should look, or tie into the site, then that would work as well. Just let me know and I'll get going on them

John

John,
I am pretty open on ideas. I like the idea of a single image with the text overlay of the DG name. But other interpritations are welcome.

Thanks,
Jim
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:01 PM UTC
Jim,
I am pretty knowledgeable about Axis armor, and a fairly competent builder, if your interested let me know.
Regards,
Robert
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
The soft skins are a passion for me and I think I could give it a go if you like.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:10 PM UTC
Howdy Jim,

I know I've certainly thought this many times.....but apparently I've never actually said it............

I'd love to help you in any way I can. Just tell me how I can help and I'll do my best.

My only personal input for what it's worth is this; I feel a distinct empty spot recently for several reasons...not the least of which is the 'change' in our Truck'orama presence........................
Even though I will be the first to admit that other fine and upstanding members here would be better qualified to 'Mod' the softskin side of the site (no need to name names is there?)
I would still enjoy assisting these fine lads in their duties ......if that would be of any help at all?
Additionally, if I can be of any help to CRS, Merlin, or TinCan on the 'Rotary Wing' side of the Aircraft Forum I would be happy as a bug-in-a-rug!.......since helo's are indeed my original 'first love....young love'.

Anyway......you obviously know the sites need's the best............just wanted to offer what i could 'for the record'........let me know if I can help in any way.

Tread.

EDIT: One of the "names I didn't name" is the bugger right above my post..........fancy that? ;-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC
Jim have you thought of anything for the swabbies or history geeks? I'd love to help out with a DG on Warships, either history of or modeling of, or history in general.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:49 PM UTC

"Jim have you thought of anything for the swabbies or history geeks? I'd love to help out with a DG on Warships, either history of or modeling of, or history in general."

I think Rodger would be an absolutely EXCELLENT addition to either Forum............

Ya get my vote Halfyank.

Tread.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 01:26 PM UTC
Due to my limited knowledge of any one specific overall topic, I would like to offer my services to making banners and there are a lot of discussion groups. Given how I have already contributed banners and a couple campaign awards, and with your blessing, I'll coordinate with John Pradarelli and anyone else who joins in.

Jeff
Sabot
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
I will still be a full moderator as well as a DG host. I see the moderator duties mainly as housekeeping duties (fixing links, deleting duplicate posts, editing harmful phrases, etc.). Moderating doesn't take too much effort, especially when second sets of eyes PM us to take care of a problem or potential problem. That has happened on occasion and works well.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC
Jim,
Okay. I had to read through a couple of times to figure out what you were after. That said, I would be more than happy to help Scott out on the dio forum.

Shaun
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

i would be happy to 'host' any of the allied and modern armour and figures DGs, in addition to my existing moderator duties.

regards

joe
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hello Jim,
I would love to help out in the MODERN USA section. Given my passion for the M1 series tank.

SF
Andy
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
Two banners I stirred up last night. John and I are working out who will do what, but there are a lot, so if anyone else wants to jump in, PM me and we can hammer something out.

Modern Armor-USA DG banner

Diorama: Beginners DG

EDIT - this is the updated image

Jim - as these come in, you can upload them. They are hosted on the MSN group (per your request). Unless you would like otherwise, I guess I could post the banners as they come.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP