_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
5.5" Artillery Metal model
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
I just bought my first ever metal kit. A (1/32 scale) 5.5" British Artillery gun made by "Mountford Metal Miniatures" which I bought from "Tarrants Toy Soldiers" whose site can be found here:

Tarrants Toy Soldiers

They have some fascinating stuff!

The gun is white metal and I had some real problems gluing it together... The superglue (CA glue) just would not stick!

I finally tried to solder a couple of bits together. It was about then that I discovered white metal melts at about the same temperature as solder.

This is the resulting model. It's surprisingly heavy!

And after primer:

It wasn't too difficult a model to build, my inexperience with models in general didn't help. (hey, ambition, okay)!

I plan to buy some more models from Tarrants and Mounford, partly due to the superb service.
Any hints/help at all would be great as metal is a huge change from plastic.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
Your link did not seem to work

http://www.tarrantstoysoldiers.com/mount54mm.html

after looking at the model you brought,i think £28 a bit steep,
may be couse its all metal.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Karl, I've tried about six different variations and nothing would work... Very strange.
I can't understand why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for posting the link correctly.

As for the £28, I think this because there is only two companies who make this very common artillery piece as far as I know, Mountford and Accurate Armour, (who's price is much steeper).
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
That looks ok Murdo. I'd have drilled out the muzzle, but otherwise Mountford kits are pretty good considering it' s a one-man show. I actually spoke to the owner and the people at Tarrant's a couple of times and some of them ( my 3.7"is one of them - a resin/metal mix) are to be remastered as resin kits, which makes the price even better! The photos do not do the models justice - there is a load of cast in detail which is hidden by the 'shine'
PS: I use either CA or 5-minute epoxy to assemble these.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
Thanks Dave,

I tried CA glue but I'm beginning to think the stuff I have isn't very good. Glues everything but the &^%%^^& model.

The muzzle is bored out (hard to tell with the shine. later pics, once it's painted might look better) but I think I might have to bore a bit deeper. I'm just worried about damaging the barrel.

I'm deeply tempted by some of their other guns but I'm being on me best behaviour with SWMBO so I can get an AA FV432 for me Crimble pressie. The subject has been broached and she didn't hit me... A good result methinks.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:05 AM UTC
You need to use a low temp solder....
I believe Carr's makes the type needed over in the UK. (Use to advertise in the British Military Modeler Magazine) Also need to clean and flux the places you intend to solder.

I wouldn't worry about soldering the smaller parts, but the larger heavier parts will hold up better soldered.

I'd also suggest a two temp soldering iron, or a speed contoller to adjust the soldering irons temperature.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:56 PM UTC
Very nice mate, to be honest i dont think £28 is too steep for it. as you say much cheaper than the AA one.

As for the FV432- beg,beg,beg,beg!

i have the ambulance version (the new ones with interior) and it is outstanding. the fact i got it on ebay for £42 makes it even sweeter!

regards

Joe
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the FV432- beg,beg,beg,beg!

i have the ambulance version (the new ones with interior) and it is outstanding. the fact i got it on ebay for £42 makes it even sweeter!

regards

Joe

you got it on eBay for £42??? You jammy sod!!

Been haunting eBay for about a year trying to get one.

Mind you, I did just get a C.E.T. for about £50 on ebay... :-)
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
i wouldnt be whining about a CET for £50 either, thats been on my to do list for ages
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i wouldnt be whining about a CET for £50 either, thats been on my to do list for ages

FV432 for £42 would make my year... Nah! Next few years!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
And then I wanna:

Humber Pig

Saracen

Stalwart

4 Tonner

Many Land Rovers

Saxon

All in 1/35th and all in affordable plastic...

Yeah! Dream on!
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
I also have found that 5 minute epoxy seems to work the best for me for white metal. As of yet I have not tried to solder it.
capnjock
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The gun is white metal and I had some real problems gluing it together... The superglue (CA glue) just would not stick!
Any hints/help at all would be great as metal is a huge change from plastic.

In the "General" forum about three pages down is a thread about metal kits. I like to pin the pieces together when possible, and use two part epoxy when it won't show . We have some stuff here call JB Weld that I've bonded gun parts (real guns) together with. It's heat, water, and cat resistant.

Your model makes me want to get one, even if it is the wrong scale. I've been considering AA's version for about two years now, but am too busy buying other stuff from them.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally tried to solder a couple of bits together. It was about then that I discovered white metal melts at about the same temperature as solder.

I made a couple of the old Hinchliffe artillery models in the old days (& lots of white metal figures), before CA. I used a two-pack adhesive such as Araldite, it takes longer to go off, but creates a stronger bond. The models I used it on are still OK after about 30 years so should suit you! Hope this helps.
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:25 PM UTC
If anyone is looking for the Accurare Armour Version of the 5.5" gun, there is one just come up on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6007700061
It ends at 7pm BST on 29th October.
(It's not me selling it - I've no interest in this except to give members a "heads up" to an uncommon kit )
 _GOTOTOP