_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Debunking clean windshields in WW2 modelling?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
Someone pointed out once that WW2 era vehicles had no liquid washer mechanism for their windscreens. If you wanted to clear it of dust, you wet a cloth and wiped it clean. The windshield wipers were useful for rain situations only. If the screen was dusty, you wouldn't use your wipers because it would just grind the dust around.

Although the crescent clean spot on the glass is a common (and attractive) modelling feature, I think this point is often missed by us.

(one company even markets vinyl masks for various softskin windscreens)

Any comments?
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
Surely if it's dusty and they gotta get where they're going they'll use the actual physical contact of the wipers to help them brush some dust off.

It's either that or stop every 10 minutes, or stop completely until it's less dusty.

Besides....if you own a car, surely you'll notice that the corona of the wipers is clear but the other area is not and after a few weeks that dirty area is pretty much opaque with dirt.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
I see your argument Jon but to compare the areas on my modern vehicle isn't a good comparison. We know the "clean" areas of my windscreen are clean because the wiping action accompanied fluid.

If you were driving along and some muck or mud splashed up on your windshield, you'd use fluid. Why? Because you're pretty certain that just using your wipers would only smear the mud/bird dropping/insect guts around. If you knew your fluid resevoir was empty, you wouldn't engage the wipers at all. If you didn't have fluid, you'd make sure you wipe as soon as possible w/a wet cloth.

I agree that some level of dusting could develop in relation to the "clean" crescent but most softskin models I see have the dust to an opaque level. I'm trying to point out that this probably isn't a very likely scenario.

hope this helps.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Jon: I may need to reconsider...
I just got this reply from Matthew Toms who drove many military vehicles:

Clear spots and folding windscreens.
October 27 2005, 12:03 PM

I drove just about every vehicle in the Army inventory during my career, and you're right, clean windshields should be virtually non-existant if you are modeling a vehicle in the field. If you can fold it down, you do, and wear goggles. If not, You DO use the wipers no matter what material is on the glass. When you're on the move, you dont have time to stop and get the Windex out! Dirt road dust usually is a talcum powder consistency and obscures the windshield like a beige curtain. The wipers efficiently squeegee the dust away, creating the characteristic arc, which is very common.

Best Wishes,
Matthew Toms
SSG, INF, USA (ret.)
AMPSCT

Maybe my pronouncement is a bit extreme in light of Matthew's comments. Thanks for your thoughts too.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
I'm old enough to remember the pre-washer days......
That was when you actually had someone wash your windshield when you got gas..... (believe it or not, they also checked your oil, and air in the tires.)

If you ran your wipers dry, the dirt and grit chewed up the rubber blades in about 5 minutes, and then all you had was nothing but streaks when it rained...... :-) :-)

I personally prefer simply using a dampened Q-tip (cotton-bud) to clean the windshield.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
My M-60A2 had wipers and washers for the gunner's and TC's perisopes. (++) (++)
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Talking about dusty vehicle....

BTW a M35A3 conversion set for the AFV Club A2 would be welcome (but I'm digressing... )

Frenchy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:22 PM UTC
I responded to this same question on M-L but the accompanying pic didn't show up. If you want to be in a gunfight with dirty windshields and windows, I guess that's your thing. We kept ours spotless, and cleaned them at every security halt.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:27 PM UTC
I would say that photo was taken just after a dust storm and the vehicles would have been stationary as the tires are all one color too. If the vehicles had been moving and only just stopped the tire tread would be darker.

On another note in WW2 in the desert they put oil on the windscreen and sprinkled dust on it just leaving a small semi circle to see through. This reduced the risk of sun reflection off the windscreen.

cheers
Cliff
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would say that photo was taken just after a dust storm and the vehicles would have been stationary as the tires are all one color too.

I think you're right Cliff. The original title of this picture is "Stormeffects"....

Frenchy
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking about dusty vehicle....

I think they need a wash and some dry brushing to bring out the detail - the weathering makes them look a bit too flat, IMO #:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although the crescent clean spot on the glass is a common (and attractive) modelling feature, .......

Hi Roy. Dont want to get involved in the debate of right or wrong, as I wouldn´t know enough to even hazard a guess. For me, its an artistic thing and when done well, does really add to a well weathered vehicle.
My problem with the whole idea, is when the front two windows have a perfect "crescent clean spot on the glass" compared to the dust shown around it, and then other frontal windows are perfectly clean. I know some extra could be claimed by water washed on previously, but I have seen some perfectly masked windows and the only dust on the upper front of the vehicle is the windscreens.
I think thats something thats even more obviously stepped over sometimes.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
After reading this I am now debating on if or how I should show dust on the windshield of an Academy Hummer ambulance I am building one used in Iraq now It will be in the NATO 3-tone camo
One of the DSB members over there now gave me the camo type and bumper numbers

Now for the fun part Dusting up the windshields without overdoing it :-)
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC
Howdy all. I have not been in many military vehicles that had a serviceable working washer system for the wipers if equipped. During road marches or movements the wipers are used dry(shock) to knock the big dirt out of view. It makes "less dusty" fan shaped areas to look through. When the washers are used on a dusty windshield you usually end up making mud and really obscuring your vision. Then you can stop and wet a rag a clean it manually. As 18 Bravo points out keeping the windows clean is a survival tool in a combat zone and a safety factor at all other times. Cleaning the windows or optics before, during and after the mission is a part of life in a good outfit. Out here.
 _GOTOTOP