_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German Trucks in the Ardennes
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:36 PM UTC
I was looking for a cheap, easy and decent German truck that can be placed in the Ardennes. Decals and markings are of no problems. And no, FAMO or other half-tracks not included. Was thinking of a support truck, like the Opel Blitz and the Mercedes truck. I know Italeri had them. How do they fair? Also, are there other wheeled support trucks I could use that's available in plastic?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:38 PM UTC
Never built the Mercedes, but the Opel is a nice build. It's an old kit, but still builds nice. (have one in progress also Ralph)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC
Thanks Dave. Wish I could get one easily and build it for the Move It campaign. :-) Can you post in progress pics sir? Don't have a clue on what's in the bag of that Italeri kit.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
I believe the old Italaeri trucks are being put out by Revell now, so should be easily available (with the exception of the Maultier), so you have a choice of the Blitz, with truck body or "house" type, the Mercedes diesel or a late-pattern Opel Blitz with the compressed cardboard style cab. They are all dirt cheap, & with care make up into fine models. They should fit the bill. If you get an "old" Blitz model off ebay, you'll find the transfer sheet covers dozens of units, how cool is that?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 06:27 PM UTC
Thanks Steve! Both Italeri and Revell are quite rare here, most come in aircraft forms, not trucks and/or AFVs. I did a sweep on some of the closest LHS a few days back and can't see some of those kits.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
I built a Mercedes truck specifically for an Ardennes scene a few years ago. Some of the parts were not the best fitting and, if I remember correctly the doors could not be opened. The canvas for the back of the truck is also a one piece item in the box and the back covers are down. I suppose this could be rectified if you wanted to see in the back of the truck.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built a Mercedes truck specifically for an Ardennes scene a few years ago. Some of the parts were not the best fitting and, if I remember correctly the doors could not be opened. The canvas for the back of the truck is also a one piece item in the box and the back covers are down. I suppose this could be rectified if you wanted to see in the back of the truck.

Ok... there goes my option. I'll stick to the Opel. Thanks for the info!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
I don't know which brand Merceded you had but the one I did was almost the same as the opel blitz. I opened the doors on mine as well. I also used the Eduard PE set for it which made a world of difference to the model.

Cheers
Cliff
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 02:52 AM UTC
Agree with what MrRoo says. The Italeri's Mercedes and Opel have basicaly the same framework and engine, this applies to their Opel Maultier and probably to the Nebelwerfer Maultier. Also its true that doors on Mercedes can be readily depicted as opened with no modifications to the kit parts.

Cheers
Pedro
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:01 AM UTC
If any of you guys are in the market for a Opel Blitz or Maultier, you might want to check out my friend's offerings here: http://www.gremlingear.com/opels.htm He's got loads of deals, and no, I don't get a cut of the sales.
 _GOTOTOP