Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Clervaux - the village
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
Thanks to you all, glad you like it.
I'm glad that you like colours. That was not easy and i redid it a few times!

Cheers
Claude
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:32 PM UTC
Claude, beautiful, beautiful work !!!! You're in the home stretch now, 60 - 70% done ?

Oh and damit Claude, that painting comment on my post was rather rude , I've painted lots of projects before.................... The kitchen, the bathroom , the kids bedrooms , l.o.l.

What's next for Clervaux ?
Glenn
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi Claude, congrat. another time! :-) the not only the construction of the shouse is fantastic, the paintwork is also first class work
cheers!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 02:03 AM UTC
Yeah, but can you juggle?!
Simply superb mate. As mentioned, the subtle colours lend to each other well, and the photo showing the angle of each roof/building in relation to each other is a keeper!
Great stuff. Would you mind if some of my Shermans rolled into town when finished?
Brad
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC
It's time to pick up my popped out eyes now. Claude you are doing a wonderful job, are you going to build the rest of Luxembourg too ? Not joking, this is about building true history of Clervaux. I've visited it a couple of times and I will enjoy it even more next time, thanks to your fantastic work here !!! G.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
Thank you guys,

Glenn, lol,
60-70%, in time consuming work, probably , as i "only" need to finish the cobble stones, plant the hill under the wall, and do all the power supply (also the one falling on the Halftrack). But this is indeed faster work.
Meantime , as a slite distraction, i am building a pine-tree to put behind the houses.

@Carlos, thank you very much, glad you like it
@Brad, no problem, we can organize a wargame whwn it's fiished, perhapos with some RC 1/35 Sherman's. But seriously, you can probably help me when it comes to Sherman buzilding as i will need to do a few (3-5)
@Guy, i think i will extend to Wiltz and Bastogne and do my own "Road to Bastogne" :-)

Thanks
Claude
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
claude your either nuts or very talented .... very talented !
what did you use to construct the buildings with?

martyn
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
Martyn, thank you

I used mattboard for those houses.
Please take a look at page 2 of this thread, there is a very good view of the structure.

Claude
Geezer34
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
Claude - If you are really going to build the whole town!! I have a few websites for building material that you might find useful if you don't already have them. 1) Grandtline.com - they have two scales that are useful - 1/48 and 1/24. Neither are exactly 1/35 or 1/32, but some of the doors and windows are large or small in their nominal scale so will work in 1/35.
2) hansasystems.com - they are 1/35 - doors, windows, plus lots of other good items for house construction.
3) custom dioramics - used to be part of VLS, but got folded into Squadron Shop (squadron.com). All have the www. prefix.
Really like your three new houses. Somewhere I heard the theory that yellow or tan house colors were caused by the use of pig blood in the paint - sounds a bit strange, but some early New England furniture used milk in the paint, which seemed to last well.
Did you ever hear anything about this? I don't know if it caused the color or was just a binder for other pigment.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:53 PM UTC
Trenor, thank you very much for your links. I know this brands very well, even ordered some bolts und nuts from Grandtline last week. Regarding all the other offerings, i must ask if some of the interest in my dio isn't due because i am trying to scratchbuild my own and do something not seen everyday in most dioramas? (Except from the big scale of course).
I do not say that i don't want anything commercial. Sometimes even i can get bored and if a nice commercial piece is available at a reasonable price and really fills my needs or if a scratchbuild would be to difficult or time consuming, i may used it, but i don't want that to become the norm.
The price of this pieces is another factor. I have roughly twenty windows and dormers in this houses plus seven doors. How much would that cost?

Regarding the house colours. I never heard of your theory of pig blood.

What i found regarding house colours is that ( i am roughly translating a german website) is that until the 19th century the only avilable natural materials were red and yellow ocker, raw and burned umber and also a sort of green was available. (i made my yellow house with red ocker pigments as a base and highligting with sand and tan colour until satisfied).
Later, with prussian-blue and chromegreen, mixed with black and white, i wider range of colours was available.

Thanks for your input and interest

Cheers
Claude

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
thank you very much claude i will look now and keep up the amazing work
martyn!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hallo guys,

Some of you wished top see a global view of what i have done for the last three (yes, 3 years)

Today i did put the modul i am actually working on against the castle to make last adjustements

That's how it looks right now

I need to add some plaster on both modules to fit them correctly and with a minimum of visible joint

Cheers
Claude

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:14 PM UTC
excellent claude thank you for you knowledge you make it look so easy as it is not an easy task !
for a 16 year old this will get me inspired thanks!
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC
This has nothing to do with either modelling in general or diorama building in specific terms.

This is sheer ART! This is sheer genius at work!

There are no words to express the immens awe I have for this work, this MASTERPIECE!

I'm flabbergasted, each picture you show, it completely blows me away, it is simply reality in scale, nothing less.

The only nit-pick I have so far is that I haven't seen it in real life yet, if ever you have it on display somewhere, I will, no MUST see it.

To me, this work is what our hobby is about, perfect recreation of reality in scale.

I bow deep for you!
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
hey Claude, that's what I call a teaser! more pics! looks impressive already! & i concur with Herbert above
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:57 AM UTC
Claude , I think the join between the two bases is a very good fit .................... then again it's a photo and you as the artist with the work in front of you sees much more than we do , .................. curse the perfectionists we' ve become , l.o.l.
This is getting better and better as it grows !!!!!
Glenn
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 08:56 PM UTC
Herbert, WOW, i'm speechless,thanks.

JBA, Glenn, thanks to you .

Haha, Glenn, you got it absolutely right. It's only on the photo and deen from the lower level that it look good . In reality i must make a lot of rectifications on both modules, even adding more plaster down the castle and of course repaint some of the rocks (actually a good thing, because it allows me do use the same colours as i didn't remember what i uses before).
Adding to that, i discovered that the new module, despite beeing very sturdy Multilayer wood, has a big outward bend (a bulge of nearly 1,5 cm over the length of the whole thing) in the length. I obviously can't get it straight against the castle!
Yesterday i started to take that away with grinder, chisel and plane (not that i know all this words but dict.cc is a good translating site :-) ), it's a few hour work because the wood is so hard and for the moment i have also some health issues with my back.

Cheers
Claude

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:48 PM UTC
This reminds of a movie set. I can totally see a crew of cinimatograhers scattered about making a film with this as the backdrop.

Really nice, really realistic.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hui Claude,

Just makes me every time I look.

AL
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi Claude.
As somebody already said ..... "When you post pictures it is better than getting Christmas presents." I can´t put it any better.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC
Fantastic workmanship
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

I'm still working on both modules right now to get them fit "good enough" to hide any gap under a bit of vegetation.

Claude

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
claude this is a corcker i forgot to ask what was the pool table made from? its cracking and thanks for the help i am going to get some matterboard and get cracking with building!

keep up the art gallery "piccaso"

martyn!
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
thats too cool...hats off to you CJ
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC
Claude,
Thanks much for taking the time to share your knowledge and immense talent with us. This isn't just a hobby for you. It's Art !!!!!

Thanks again,
Jeff