Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
'They were no Heroes' Singapore, 1942 (1:35)
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
Ok the resin looks good, no leakage. It still hasn't completely set though.

Questions:

Not a major problem, but the resin has come away from the sides slightly. Is this bad? If so, what can I do to fix it?

How long should I wait before pouring the second (final) layer? As I said, the surface after 15 hours is still a bit tacky.

Chas
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I looked back to page 1 and it's hard to believe I've been working for over three months!

Ah but that's the beauty of it, diorama making runs at a lesser pace than exams, schedules and the rest
I must congratulate you for the dust covering plastic film, something I regularly forget in the heat of the moment

Quoted Text

Not a major problem, but the resin has come away from the sides slightly. Is this bad? If so, what can I do to fix it?

How long should I wait before pouring the second (final) layer? As I said, the surface after 15 hours is still a bit tacky.

the resin will retract when drying so at this moment it will be easy to remove from the edges with a scalpel -providing you put something to protect the wood. But then with a picture it would be easier to tell. Usually i wait when the resin is hardened but still soft, it is much more easy to clean the edges in one go without damaging the wood (if that's the problem)

Tacky? you mean it's dry and just leaves fingerprints on it? no problem pour your second coat, but then it SHOULDN'T be tacky, check again the right proportions resin/hardener, you may have not put enough hardener (I don't mean you have to put too much either! then it's getting even worse with some cracks in the resin and etc.)

Quoted Text

YOUR PLAYING WITH YOUR LIFE THIS AIN'T NO TRUTH OR DARE!

Exactly, you do, water is the Russian Roulette of dioramam making -alternatively, the solvants contained ion the resin can seriously damage your health, so I would urge you to play with it *outside* no matter how cold is it.
Good luck!
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:12 AM UTC
G'day JB,

I'm not so worried about the first layer, it's when I come to the second layer with the wooden blocks clamped down (as you showed in your diagram) that I want to minimise shrinkage.

Quoted Text

Tacky? you mean it's dry and just leaves fingerprints on it?

That's what I meant, tacky was the wrong word. It sounds as if I'm ready for the second coat, except I'm going on camp out into the bush with my P.E class. I won't be back till Friday, so hang in there for more updates.

JB, remember it's summer out here, daylight saving, theres no better place to be than outside! Actually I poured the resin in my shed with all windows and doors open, fan turned on to increase circulation and in addition, I wear a quality mask. Don't worry, I'm not going to die.

Thanks for the advice,
Chas
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC
G'day,

Here is the issue I had with the resin coming away from the base. In real life this is only about 3mm.

Today I had time to clamp some wood ready for the final layer. As you can see, I am missing one clamp to use for the left-hand side. Looks like another trip to Bunnings!

What is the exact purpose of the grease? Is it just to ease the process of removing the wood? Does it prevent the resin seeping into the wood or through gaps? What type of grease should I be using, will any type do?

Chas
barbacanosa
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / España
KitMaker: 296 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:26 PM UTC

The serious fat to facilitate the release of the pieces you use as a framework, to prevent the resin from sticking to them.

I normally land use materials that are not as porous plastic or metal foil

Domi
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:57 AM UTC
The grease is for release. It creates a non-pourous barrier between the resin and wood. I'm like Domi, if I want an 'open' edge of water I use styrene sheets. Then I add a spray of kitchen nonstick spray.
I've seen the wood grease option work too, so don't get worried.
Is your final layer going to overlap the frame/base? The image with clamps looks like there is a small 'lip' over the base. If so I just realized you may have the resin pull away leaving a gap between the base and resin in a horizontal fashion. Depending on what happens you may be able to get some really small doll house trim and run the trim around the base/resin joint and cover any gaps that pop up.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Ok thanks guys,

I have a small jar of grease which I can't identify so I may have to do a test (and practise my ripple skills at the same time).

Scott, the lip you are talking about was a mistake As a consequence, I have no choice but to pour a slight overlap onto the frame. Oh well, it's all part of the learning curve...

Chas
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

This is coming along really well. It's a great concept and I'm very interested in how your water experiment turns out.

Cheers

Al
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Nice work Chas,

For mould release I like to use Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) dissolved in lighter fluid. Put the mixture into a garden spray bottle and you are good. Spray what you don't want the resin to stick to with it. The lighter fluid evaporates leaving a very thin layer of the petroleum jelly.

T
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Well it's about time I pulled this thread back from the depths.

I finally had time to complete the resin water today. I spent 3 hours watching it dry and then another 2 hours creating ripples!

I still need to add white-caps and perhaps a bit of clear resin to replicate foam.

Chas

(p.s Thankyou Alan and Angelus, sorry for not answering earlier...)
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:33 PM UTC
The water looks great. Even without the added details.

Matt
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
I've been playing around with gloss acryllic medium. It comes in a variety of "thicknesses" I have some which is very runny and some which has a lot of body to it. If you added small amounts of white paint to it I think you could get a convincing "wave breaking" effect.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:58 PM UTC
That looks really great Chas

Quote: "I spent 3 hours watching it dry" LOL

I really see the picture. Picking in the resin every 5 minutes with a toothpick to see if it sets or not.

It was worth the wait!

Cheers
Claude
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:09 AM UTC
Thankyou Matt and Claude, glad you both like it so far.

Angelus, thanks for the info, I don't have any of this gloss so I'm just sticking to Humbrol gloss white.

I'm also planning to add some more wood fragments around the floating tyre. In the meantime, here is a close up of some small detail:

And a chain that I got from a craft shop for a few cents. Each link is only 2mm long!!

Chas
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
Nice job. The pour looks good. The color is a bit 'clean' and clear, but totally acceptable. I took a third look and the lighting is not that great and is probably affecting the photo quite a bit. I like the way this is shaping up. The rope detail is nice.

Keep pluggin' its coming along well.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Look good Chas
I am happy to see it alive again
Cheers
Seb
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 04:14 AM UTC
this is looking good Chas...I like the bird crap on everything! keep up the good work
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
chas i am impressed by the level of your work mate!

im really lking this dio

epsecially the poop

keep it up
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
It just goes to show that you don't need a lot of money to make a convincing looking base. Excellent work.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:27 PM UTC
Scott, you are right, the lighting wasn't the best when I took those photos late afternoon. There is a lot more contrast in the water, darker patches etc.

Thanks Seb, Mike and James, glad you are enjoying it.

Brett:

Cork: $2
Balsa: $2
Brass rod: $2
Casting resin and catalyst: $20
Picture frame: $15
Rubble: Nothing
Tyre from die-cast toy: Nothing

So yea...things are on the cheap side this time (so far)!

I removed the sidewalls today and unfortunately for me there was a little bit of leakage, not too bad though. I will post pictures once I have it looking 'presentable'. By the way, what dissolves resin? Is there a chemical I can use for clean-up?

Thanks,
Chas

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 01:05 AM UTC
Really nice work Chas and im lookin forward to this!

Martyn
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC
To dissolve resin nearly nothing since it is a highly crosslinked polymer network Chas.
But maybe I am wrong you need to give me more details what kind of resin did you use etc.. and I will find a solution for you.
Cheers
Seb
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Yo Chas,

Great work, clean build up from the bottom off.

I very mutch like the colors you use...very realistic. With the water in it, gives it a nice contrast.

Nice work.

Greetz Nico
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 09:15 PM UTC
Thankyou Martyn. Thanks Nico, hopefully you will enjoy the colours more once I have the better pictures up.

Quoted Text

To dissolve resin nearly nothing since it is a highly crosslinked polymer network Chas.
But maybe I am wrong you need to give me more details what kind of resin did you use etc.. and I will find a solution for you.
Cheers
Seb

Hi Seb, the product is Diggers Casting and Embedding Resin. It contains 33% w/w styrene, is that any use to you?

Chas
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
The water looks great already, this will be stunning ! G.