_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
'They were no Heroes' Singapore, 1942 (1:35)
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC
G'day,

With West Australia plunged into a cold, eerie winter, I've decided to start another diorama safe in the depths of my cosy, warm modelling shed.

I have been researching my family's wartime history lately. At the moment, I am researching my Great-Grandad Robert Young. He was a pilot in the first World War where he survived an air accident, and settled down to rubber planting in Malaya at war's end.

Robert was 52 years old when the Japanese invaded Malaya in 1941, and volunteered to serve with the RAF. He was put in charge of 'coolies' repairing damaged aerodromes because of his ability to speak local languages. After surviving the gruelling retreat to Singapore, he was finally evacuated on the 15th February. Robert was one of the last to evacuate the city, turning up at Keppel Harbour in a very expensive Wolseley car, which he left with a group of servicemen who later pushed it into the sea to avoid its capture!

Great-Grandad's Wolseley

This is what I want to depict in my diorama, a group of servicemen pushing a Wolseley off the damaged wharf, with fleeing civilians and barking MP's adding to the chaos.

Back to the story:
This was not the end of Robert's ordeal. A few hours later when the ship was safely out of harbour, it was dive-bombed by Japanese planes. The ship sunk off the Sumatran port of Palembang. Robert survived the attack and was thrown into the water. Upon seeing another passenger struggling in the water, apparently a non-swimmer, Robert gave his life jacket to the poor man. What happens next shocked me and is further proof to the horrific and evil mindset of many Japanese servicemen during the Second World War. The dive-bomber pilot who had succeeded in sinking the passenger ship was obviously not content with the bloodshed which he had already caused and found it necessary to strafe the surviving and defenceless passengers left floundering in the water. Robert saw the aircraft coming and dived under the water for protection. Luckily, he was not hit but upon surfacing, he found the man to whom he had just given his life jacket had half of his head blown off.

There was nothing he could do but swim to shore, in this he succeeded. By this time, the Japanese had already captured most of Sumatra, however Robert reached the shore undetected and was put into hiding by local villagers. After spending many weeks in hiding, he was betrayed and turned over to the Japanese on the 6th April 1942, and spent the remainder of the war in various POW camps in South-East Asia. Later on, he told the family some terrible stories of his POW experience. After the war, he came to live in Australia with his wife and son (my grandad), and died in 1968, aged 79.

A little while ago, I posted a few threads seeking information on the photograph showing men pushing an unidentified car from the wharf at Keppel Harbour. I have since learnt that this is probably not my Great-Grandad's car, but it is a good reference to have as it's exactly the same thing that happened.

1st Thread
2nd Thread

Jean Bernard has been very helpful so far in helping me plan this diorama and I hope he comes across this thread;) Thanks Jean.

Here are some rough sketches, I won't add as much junk or as many people as shown. I will be mostly scratch-building the Wolseley, but I'll use Airfix's 1:32 Monty's Humber as a guide as I have never built a car before.

If you got to this point, thanks for reading this long post! Updates soon.

Chas
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
Chas

I am very much looking forward to seeing your progress and thanks for sharing an interesting and important part of WW2 history with us.

HastyP
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you got to this point, thanks for reading this long post! Updates soon.

Hi Chas. Rivetting story and very interesting, as Im sure the whole project will be. Looking forward to the updates.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

You are full of good ideas!

This will be a very interesting dio and i'm looking forward to see how you gonna attach the car.
Have fun

Cheers
Claude
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 03:01 PM UTC
Thanks very much everyone, I hope you all enjoy the build.

Chas
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:09 AM UTC
Ok I'm justing getting prepared to start on this diorama.

Man w/gramophone

Here are the parts. Notice that the gramophone is not hollowed out. Notice how the picture of the completed figure shows the reverse side of the gramophone... SNEAKY, DECEPTIVE!

Diorama base

The diorama will be built within this beautiful picture frame (23x23cm) from Ikea.

I'm looking forward to getting started on this dio.
Chas
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
Chas-- you are producing some fine work! Keep it up.
DJ
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
hehe you keep these up and im gonna have to build a good dio to start competing!
fantastic idea and brilliant background story,

hope to see more soon!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 08:19 AM UTC
"The Great Gramophone Plot"

Good storyline to work from, going to follow this with interest

Cheers
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:59 PM UTC
Hey Chas
What a captivating story!
Would make for a great scene also.
As for the gramaphone, do you have a set of drill bits and a slow speed drill? Make a small pilot hole carefully, and then use successively larger bits to maintain the conical shape the further out of the horn?
Cheers
Brad
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:32 PM UTC
Wonderful story and idea for the dio. So glad your grandfather survived and lived out a comfortable 'normal' life to his end. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this one. Please keep us posted regularly.
Cheers,
Charles
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chas-- you are producing some fine work! Keep it up.
DJ

Thanks very much mate.

Quoted Text

hehe you keep these up and im gonna have to build a good dio to start competing!
fantastic idea and brilliant background story,

hope to see more soon!

Thanks Jimmy. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your dioramas. What happened to your Arnhem one?

Quoted Text

"The Great Gramophone Plot"

Good storyline to work from, going to follow this with interest

Cheers

Yea The man with the gramophone (spelling?) is going to be taking a pasting from an MP, 'Get rid of that junk there's no room for that on the ship!'

Quoted Text

Hey Chas
What a captivating story!
Would make for a great scene also.
As for the gramaphone, do you have a set of drill bits and a slow speed drill? Make a small pilot hole carefully, and then use successively larger bits to maintain the conical shape the further out of the horn?
Cheers
Brad

Hi Brad, no I don't have a slow speed drill. I only have my dad's normal hardware drill that would obliterate my poor old gramophone. It was a good idea though, thanks. Are there any other easy ways of hollowing it out?

Thanks mate, and check your PM's.

Quoted Text

Wonderful story and idea for the dio. So glad your grandfather survived and lived out a comfortable 'normal' life to his end. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this one. Please keep us posted regularly.
Cheers,
Charles

Hi Charles. Thankyou for your comment. My grandad was a remarkably tough man. Going through the First World War and being injured, and then surviving as a 56 year old POW. He also had to fight quite a few emotional battles. His eldest son was killed in the Battle of Britain in late 1940, and his father died in his early 30's from malaria. After the war he went back to Malaya hoping to re-start his rubber planting business but was forced to return to Australia (because of the terrorist operations and the high casualty rate of white planters). My grandad also went back to Malaya after the war but had to return for the same reason.

I am very proud of my family history! Not necessarily a bad thing....

Bear with my rambling, I hope you find it mildly interesting at least

Chas
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
Chas,

Your grandfather, my uncles in the RAF and RCAF and all the millions of others were the Greatest Generation!! Looking forward to seeing your dio.

Darryl
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have a slow speed drill. I only have my dad's normal hardware drill that would obliterate my poor old gramophone. It was a good idea though, thanks. Are there any other easy ways of hollowing it out?

How about forming a new horn by wrapping it in thick foil(here I use Take away cartons , dog food, oven ready dishes, may be different in Australia) Cut the foil away and glue together -use this instead of the resin piece.
Scale-Link make a metal and etch one

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Army_Equipment.html

I also came across some uniform refs for Singapore in a very old book - Blandford's Army Uniforms of WW2 that might be useful

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:01 PM UTC
Pat, thanks for the reference picture, very helpful. I think I'll try the foil method you suggested instead of using the resin or etched pieces. I want to try to keep the cost down on this dio.

Regards,

Chas
Removed by original poster on 08/27/08 - 16:27:13 (GMT).
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
crackin dio duude more progress!
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 03:52 PM UTC
very ambitious idea, and i love the family history behind it!
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:30 PM UTC
Finally some more progress on this diorama. Instead of buying this expensive figure:

I have opted to convert/sculpt my own! The head is from DML's 8th Army kit and the peak for the peaked cap is a conversion from Airfix's 8th Army multipose kit. I trimmed and resized it to suit 1:35 scale, although I have done some further trimming since this photo was taken, I'm just too lazy to take another one just yet. I will sculpt the remainder of the cap. For the body, I will be using parts from DML's Commonwealth Infantry Italy but I am still waiting for the kit to arrive in the mail.

Here is the position the Wolseley will be in:

I will have to do a lot of conversions to turn the old Airfix Humber into a Wolseley. I am looking for some plans and dimensions but am having little luck.

Chas
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi Chas.

This is looking like a great project.

Your Grand dad's Wolseley is a 25. It's probably a 1938 model. I'll see what info I can find (if any).

ATM I can only find the dimensions for a 1948 limosine (which has a stretched wheelbase).

Cheers,

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Chas not much luck on dimensions

The car is actually a Wolseley Series II Super Six 25HP.

Some pics here:

http://www.motorbase.com/profiles/vehicle/picture.ehtml?i=-635818795;p=1167405452

Paul

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info! I agree, it does look a lot like a Series II Super Six 25hp.

I have found out that my g-grandad may have had several different Wolseleys. In the photo in the first post, the number plate is DXC 864 and similar photos taken from different angles suggest the photo was taken in England before the war. My grandad is pictured as a boy sitting on the step. Judging by his age I think the photo was taken around 1936.

I have come to the conclusion that the car in the following photo is the one which was thrown into the harbour.

Is this also a Series II Super Six 25hp?

Man w/gramophone

You can see here that I have, after lots of sanding, hollowed out the gramophone. I am planning to scratch build the little arm thing that sits on the record. I have also glued the man together and you can see from the reverse picture that there is a gaping hole in his right arm. That will need to be fixed with putty.

Chas
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC
Chas i just turn in order to say Hi. And to say you that either you should scratch completely the car or pretend that your kit is actually a Wolseley because a conversion?..
Anyway good luck and try to keep focused (btw, don't you have another diorama on with a cliff and a bunker ?)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
Chas-- what type of camera are you using to take those great photos?
thanks
DJ
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chas i just turn in order to say Hi. And to say you that either you should scratch completely the car or pretend that your kit is actually a Wolseley because a conversion?..
Anyway good luck and try to keep focused (btw, don't you have another diorama on with a cliff and a bunker ?)

Huh huh huh? I'm doing a conversion on the Airfix Humber to turn it into a Wolseley. I'm just using the bodywork as a base, and scratchbuilding everything around it. I will need to buy some more plasticard as my stock is getting quite low.

I'm focussed! I just like to have 2 projects on the go to keep my mind from stagnating. I'll be working on the PdH diorama this afternoon. Thanks for dropping by.

DJ, I'm using a Kodak EasyShare DX6440 4.0 Mega pixels. It is quite old but it works!

Thanks,
Chas
 _GOTOTOP