Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
'They were no Heroes' Singapore, 1942 (1:35)
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks Martyn and Alan.

Re: the additional resin pouring and clean-up, I have set up some new sidewalls ready for the third pour.

Chris, thanks for the suggestion but this sounds far too intense, dangerous and difficult for me to try! I have had success sanding down the spillage, so no more worries.

I have painted the figure's undershirt and the brass buttons, will show some completed pictures soon... with the gramophone.

Thanks again,
Chas
johndon
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
Very nice work Chas

John
motorbreath23
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC
Cool, I don't like using it myself, but there is times it comes in real handy, like when you need to remove 4 layers of alkyd paint from a vent register, or say Iron Oxide primer from a steel tank.

The project looks great btw, I'm very impressed with your abilities. The strafe damage looks fantastic! Great story and what a sad day for the Wolseley, such a beautiful car!
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:56 PM UTC
G'day John, thanks for taking the time to comment!

Chris, thanks for sharing your knowledge all the same, it's good to know in case I have a major spillage someday!

No gramophone yet, it is about 90% finished.

Chas
Owsi
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
Looking good. If I ever decide to do a dio based on the Godfather movies I now know where to find a really good figure for Vito Corleone(Marlon Brando). Paint a dark suit on that guy and you've got it.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
great figure chas he looks superb have you started the car yet?

im looking foward to seeing the grammerphone!

keep it up

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
There s not much of a harbor left in keppel, much of the land is taken over by expensive condos. Nevertheless, that picture is on history textbooks highlighting the scorched earth actions that was taken to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. They even break liquor bottles into drains at the harbor i read.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
I just realised I never posted the pictures of the completed man.

I STILL haven't got around to adding another layer of resin water, the reason being I've become enthralled with small figure vignettes!

I have made some "improvements?" to the colour of the dock wall, I hope it looks better than before? I still want to do add a little bit of highlighting.

Thanks Owsi, James and Erizemen for your comments earlier. (Erizemen, thanks for mentioning the liqour bottles, I might integrate that idea into the diorama!)

I will be starting on the car soon!
Chas
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Chas the figure looks superb!

i really like the grammer phone with the brass effect you achieved

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 04:43 AM UTC
Nice work Mate!

Martyn
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

Coming along well, nice figure.

Al
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Chas. RE: the beer bottles. I found a neat set of bottles through a model railroad shop. They were a European brand and although are actually G scale (1/24 - 1/25) they wouldn't look out of place in a 1/35 scale setting. There are a lot of them in the set in green and brown. They are separate from the slat-type wooden (replica) cases. Here's the info:

Beer Crates and Bottles made by Pola, item # 331877
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC
Chas, I like what you've done with the dock, but IMO it could use more algae (I think that's what its called), you know the green gunk that can be seen on pretty much anything that has long exposure to sea water. Againg just my opinion
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
that's coming along really well...very original. i like it!

one thing i noticed--the water looks really blue, kinda like the water in teh carribean. maybe make it a little darker with a greenish tint. just a suggestion.

figure looks great btw!

keep it up!
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks James, Martyn and Alan.

Jim, thanks for the info on the beer bottles. I might try and make by my own but if I fail, I'll definitely consider this kit.

Quoted Text

Chas, I like what you've done with the dock, but IMO it could use more algae (I think that's what its called), you know the green gunk that can be seen on pretty much anything that has long exposure to sea water. Againg just my opinion

Thanks Matthew. I agree with you. When I repainted the wall I covered up much of the algae I had put on before.

Quoted Text

that's coming along really well...very original. i like it!

one thing i noticed--the water looks really blue, kinda like the water in teh carribean. maybe make it a little darker with a greenish tint. just a suggestion.

figure looks great btw!

keep it up!

Hi Andrew, thanks for your comment. Regarding the "blue" water, I've decided to add another layer to give it a more green/brown look as you mentioned. Just trying to find the time to sit down and do it! When I did the first layers it took me almost half a day...

Chas
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi Chas, you're on the jazz ! I like the contrast between the color of the water and the rest of the diorama. The water by the way, is very much alive ! Good job ! This diorama will show top quality.

G.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 01:26 PM UTC
Chas,
looking real good. I tend to agree about the water color but I'm really not familiar with the waters in that part of the world. Regardless of color, it looks good and very much "alive"
Can't wait to see this one come along.
Cheers,
Charles
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 01:25 AM UTC
G'day Guy and Charles, hopefully my amendment to the water hasn't wrecked the contrast. I think the water looks a lot dirtier now.

By adding the next resin layer, I was able to define some waves with a piece of wire. By continuously "plucking" the resin over an hour, small waves gradually appeared.

In total, the resin 'water' saga cost me $25 and 8 hours collective in time. I risked my life with toxic fumes and cut my finger trying to remove dried resin with an X-Acto knife. This has been one of the hardest things I've ever attempted in this hobby! One man gone crazy:

Thanks for the comments!

Chas
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:24 AM UTC
Nice work on the water! I like it now you made it look dirty. Haha nice picture!
Who ever took the photo, did they have a gas mask on as well?

Martyn
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

Nice work on the water, very good effect. Love the pics

Al
motorbreath23
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
looks great Chas! Thw hard work paid off, the waves look awesome. *thumbs up*
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
very nice work Chas, and congratulations for the mask! Good technic and fair result honestly
Now I am still happy to see that some people here actually *take the risk* of cutting their fingers with X-Actos for art's sake
bigal07
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 887 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 09:58 PM UTC
Firstly - from my point of view being completely new to dioramas, I can only appreciate the tip on making small waves with wire, the dock wall leading from the water looks grubby dirty and totally used, there's even a wodden splinter, have you tried taking a black and white photo of this diorama ? There is nothing I don't like about this project everything looks so good, I guess to be fair, if I were good enough to build that dock, it would probably look too clean, if I were on location and came across this dock in real life, I'd expect it to look excatly like your diorama, this is 1st class work.
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
I really like the wate ripples you've created

are you going to make the water more dirty and filthy or are you leaving it as it is?

as for the last photo "luke i am your father"

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Martyn, the person taking this photo was a scout for a modelling agency. She did a trial photo-shoot but was not impressed...

Alan, Chris and JBA. Thanks for the comments on the water. I am pretty happy with the result, and of course it looks much dirtier "in real life" than it does in these pictures.

Alec, I'm glad you are able to learn some techniques from my build log. I am also very new to dioramas so don't take my words or actions as gospel! There are so many dioramists (spelling?) both here and on other modelling sites who can offer much more. Everything I've learnt originates from watching master/very good modellers. I have no natural talent for this... being part of an online modelling group is the only reason I've been able to improve. Thanks for your very kind comment though!

James, thanks mate. I was hoping the water looks satisfactory now... Even if it doesn't, there's nothing you can do to make me pull out that resin again!!

Chas

(I'm really grateful for all the chat, you all make this project so much fun for me... and I'm sorry about the unavoidable lengthy delays between progress!)