AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Progress so far, been a slow aka busy week

Added some 'ribs' to the rea roof, a small light fitting and some air vents. The vents sit to proud but they have the right shape and aren't really that important. A little wiring done, but needs more cable.

On the internal rear RT compartment, I've added a floor, didn't have any tread plate so improvised with some mesh and Mr surface. Once it's been painted and weathered in it should do, again it's about illusion. On the front metal cabin divide I've added a basic rectangle shape and the 3 rivets either side.

I've made the radio table form some plastic card and have started opn the radio equipment. Batteries will come form the Accurate Armour Battery Set. Anyone any idea which is the correct type to use?

On the doors I've added some panel stips, and the internal handles from some brass wire.

Now we come to the technical questions

On the conversion instructions it shows the rear 2 suspension (shock obsorbers?) moved to the outside of the chassis. Woudl this be correct?

Kit instruction

Plus Model Conversion Instruction

Kit placement

Any thoughts?

I hope to get a little work done on the RHS rear bin set up this weekend.

BTW, does anyone have a picture of the on board gennerator carried in the HUW? I believe it was stored in a compartment on the rear LHS bins.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Morning folks,

I can tell from the response you're impressed

Here's my effort on the internal RHS stowage area. Reasonably happy with the structure although the 2 supporting legs are too thick and need changed. Also added some strips and a door handle to the inside RHS door.

Cheers

Al

Edit: with new legs, not quite sure why I didn't do this in the first place!!

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 09:43 PM UTC
Hi Alan, i think we all get that "oo thats nice but i dont know what to put" symptom ,
very much like me relative post,
i must say that the interior for the kit is really coming along, your wiring is putting my wiring to shame,
i hope the rest of the kit comes out as well,
all the best
James
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
The detailing is excellent. You progress is inspiring. It appears I won't have to wait long before the next update.

Thomo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi Jimmy,

On the wiring, that's why I suggested rolled lead wire for your build. It's much easier to control and shape than normal wire. Rolled flat it can be used for straps and in this case fixings for the cable.

I posted a pic of the last 15cwt for you at the top of the page, don't know if you saw it or missed it?

Hi Thomo,

I'm waiting on a slightly better pic of the rear LHS, to see what was behind the 'window' and how the generator was housed. Also any feedback on the battery selection. I'm thinking the small square ones look the right size. On with the wiring and painting of the radio later today if things go to plan !!!lol, lol. - but some shopping and general admin first.

Thanks for looking guys and your comments, makes all the time taking and posting the pics worthwhile.

Cheers

Al
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC
ah apologies it was one of those silent acknowlegments:D

the radio on there looks pretty smart!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ah apologies it was one of those silent acknowlegments:D

the radio on there looks pretty smart!

Ah, sorry, I had the crystal-ball turend off

Al
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
hehe. You got muuch modelling time this week to carry on with this one?
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Morning folks,

I can tell from the response you're impressed

Sorry Al,
I was up late watching Canada lose to Honduras in World Cup qualifying !! We should stick to bl**dy ice hockey !!!
Anyway, everything on your HUW looks good.
You got me on the position of suspension/leaf springs, I wonder if PM got the instructions "inside out"?
The mesh and Mr. Surfacer as treadplate is a brilliant, one I'll steal and copy as my own
Can't wait to see the finished product.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy,

I always try and fit in a few hours each evening. Busy in the early part of the week, but should still get some more done. Started on the radio equipment which will take a while and I'm just thinking I need to install the 2 windows before I go much further, always difficult to keep them clean. I should probably have installed them before I assembles the sides.

I'm hoping Sean will have a picture of the rear LHS so that I can get an idea of the layout there. Also they must have stored their rifles/stens and personal gear somewhere, so there will be lots of small footery things to add to the cabin and wiring it all in will be difficult with the roof off as there is still cable I want to run down the sides and out the top.

I have a plan for the seating, some of which appeard to be on sliding rails, at least in one picture I looked at so that will have to go in to. Lots to think on in the cabin area.

I sent off for some PE for the front, and also decided to try out the Hussar wheels, so there is still stuff to arrive. There is no engine with this one so I might skip the undreneath plumbing or have a go at some, for practice and experience

I also have to fix the broken fuel tank. The broken part was missing, otherwise I would just have been able to stick it back on as I did with the RHS joiner. They had an odd shape to fit with the layout, so I may need to use some wire to get the correct bend.

Enough to keep me going for a week or two and I'm hoping to find a pic of the on board Genny that the trucks carried to see if adding that might be possible, but I'll need a pic first. Lived somewhere towards the rear LHS

It's coming along, just a pity the conversion set didn't contain any detail for the inside and having to cut out the doors and roof was a pain.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hi John,

Must have both posted at the same time.

Sorry about the lost game, next time.

Yip, wasn't sure about the suspension on the rear, but went with the conversion instructions, otherwise why put it in?

The mesh was leftovers from some old Tamiya kits, seemed a good way to use it up and save some money.

I like the Grenade lightbulb myself , Ok, switch on 'BANG'

Cheers

Al
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hey Al, I know absolutely nothing of what you're building here but I'll add my 2 cents anyway

That opening on the LHS, would that not be where the generator lived? It just does not look like a window to me, more like a compartment for something like a, hmmmmm......genny?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi James,

I'm with you on that one, I'm not convinced it's a widow either. On page 2 of the info posted at the bottom of the paragraph, it would seem to confirm this, but even blown up it is difficult to read properly, but it loooks to me like that is the access door for the Genny.

Either Sean or John hopefully will be able to confirm that, which is why I'm waiting before doing the LHS storage unit.

Cheers

Al
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
did you know there was no detail in there when you got it?

but your hard work is paying off ,
and as for lead wire, is there anywhere else i can get it, to hardware places sell it?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy,

Yip, knew the doors were moulded in and it was basically a box. but it's the only box in town so to speak. It's a challenge and a learning experience at the same time.

On the lead wire, I get mine from Netmerchants, it's a Plus Model Product, comes in a variety of sizes, 0.2mm, 0.3mm etc up to 1mm. I find 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6 very useful. You can use it as wire or roll it flat and get lots of nice straps of diffeent thickneses. Costs about 99p a packet and you get a fair amount in each packet.

Don't get me wrong, if you wanted to build a basic vehicle, this I suppose is an OK kit, expensive though. I've seen some great models built with it. I think what annoys me is the cost v what you actually get, and some of the detail is a bit soft and basic.

Al

lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
well yours is heading towards the fantastic build area there!,dont worry i didnt ignore your last post about lead wire and netmearchanst i was just looking for a more local soloution

keep it up Alan

James
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy,

Might be fuse wire is close, haven't tried it.

On a general technical point, does anyone know if the fittings shown low down behind the table are in fact battery points or are they fittings to secure the batteries to? It would make sense to me if they are and if so I would assume they all fed into one cable, that fed the power to the wireless when not using the Genny?

Thanks guys.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A small amount of progresss. Added some hinges to the table and started work on the radio equipment and the batteries. More work required.

Al

lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 04:24 AM UTC
it must be cramped in there for the crew, and why do your radios always look so good!!
good work Alan keep it up!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for looking in. Radios are almost done, some white needs added.

Al

Well folks

I'm working on the cab roof at the moment. Obviously this one wasn't designed to come out. Anyone got a good pic of the top of the truck? Did it slide on small wheels?

You get 6 lengths of PE to make up the slide. 2 of these need bent into L beam shapes. They are 30mm long and I haven't yet figured out a way to bend them successfully, so I've improvised with a very small piece of plastic L bean Looks OK me thinks and should do the job much easier.

The roof was also very thick and I've thinned it down some already but I may have to thin it down some more.

Moving slowly

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 12:44 PM UTC
Hey Al,
Sorry, I haven't been able to dig up any more info to try and solve the "Is it a window or a generator compartment?' conundrum.
Even asked my Dad but his only war time experience with wireless equipped vehicles was in Jeeps and carriers, not trucks.
You certainly have got a lot done with what little you get with the kit.
Having read your review, I'm not tempted at all to get one of these conversions.
I'm looking forward to the finished product.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for looking. As far as I can tell from the text it is the access panel for the Genny. Sean is hope fully getting me some pics so we shall see.

As always, many thanks for your efforts.

Yip, the kit is disappointing, especially given the cost. I've seen some great vehicles built with it, but it's just not value for money IMHO.

Al,

Hi folks,

Some work on the roof. I've made it so the hatch will slide, which will give a little more choice when the vehicle is finally done.

I'll need to decide if I'm going to take the time and hollow out the remainder of the inside of the hatch and add the fittings, might be fun to try

I used some plastic L beam and the kit PE parts to make the slide, as I hadn't anything long enough to hold and bend the PE. I added some runners to the side of the hatch so that it can be moved.

some pics

Hopefully with the top hatch, side door and rear door open it will make the effort of building the interior worth while.

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:16 AM UTC
Nice work so far Alan, I haven't built a complete resin vehicle yet, though I have a few in my stash. You make it look easy

Where's that fig from? Ultracast?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC
[quote]Nice work so far Alan, I haven't built a complete resin vehicle yet, though I have a few in my stash. You make it look easy

Where's that fig from? Ultracast?[/quote

Hi Pat

I wish lol, lol. The only full resin kit I've done was the Accurate Armour Austin Tilly which is a gem of a kit to build.

Yip, the Tanker is one of the two Pete did for Ultracast - nice figs,

Thanks, for dropping in.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well a litttle more progress. I've added and wired some batteries, plus two open windows one in the cab divide and one in the RHS door. I hate windows, , they are such a pain to try and get right. either you cut them slighty too big or slightly to small It would be good if manufacturers came up with a simple slide in method, save a lot of grief

The wireless has been added to the table and it and the RHS storage area are about ready to be glued in. I also carved out the back of the sliding roof and added some locking bars and a canvas pull handle. I think there may have been 2 canvas handles one either side of the locking bars but as this won't be seen it's just a bit of fun and practice. It's a bit rough and ready but better than a big slab of blank resin.

Anyway some pics:

Batteries not included

Formations No 19 Radio - the wires sticking out are for power in and antenna connection to the roof

RHS storage unit

Internal roof work - not exact by any means but a bit more interesting than blank resin

I shall straighten the legs on the bale a bit lol, lol and glue these pieces of furniture in place now. There is a small battery to add in behine the open shelf on the storage unit and then some stores and equipment on the top shelf.

Sean,

If you catch this post, then any additional infomration on the LHS storage set up and genny location would be much apreciated.

Right, back to work.

Al