Chevrolet C8A HUW
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments and for looking in. The rear RT cabin is almost done, some more small items of kit to make and store along wiht the mike and headphones for the radio and some paperwork and maps. Work goes on on the cab, got some green on this evening and the difficult part of mating the two parts has begun in earnest; lots of cutting filing and test fitting required, but it's getting close to to the point where I can join up the two sections.

This is not an easy fit given the shape of the doors, so It may take a bit of time to get right.

Jimmy, lack of light this evening meant that I only got 2 pics before everything turned to flash.

John, The tyres look very good to me, sharp detail and only a little clean up required. I shall have to check the tread as this is always a big issue in trucks but first look say they are pretty smart.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC
Morning Folks,

Well I should really be on my way to Euro in Folkstone but ....... , maybe tomorrow.

After much cutting filing and filling I finally have to the cab and cabin joined together. This is not an easy fit folks, especially given the shape of the doors. I have added the small PE box sections to the rear of the truck, I don't know if I'm totally happy with the fit but it was the best I could get. A bit more truck like now so some updates below:

I should get the wheels on this morning and once they have had a coat of paint I'll post a few more updates.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:53 PM UTC
A little later.

well folks you opinions count so have I got the height right or given myself a misfit

Here are some pics with the roof set on and the wheels added. I have the 4 remaining doors to complete, the rear door needs a folding table attached to it , and I have some small personal items to add to both the cab and RT cabin. Then fnal painting and weathering along with the decals and a figure to two.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Only a short update. Added the front screens and the 4 small levers that adjusted the windiws. In the back I added a water bottle and had some fun making a set of webbing for the rear of the operators chair!!!

I have also done some work on the top hatch and will add the star so that I can add the open hatch to the roof.

lousy pic but you can see the webbing

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hello Alan. Looking good .... you´re almost there.
Could you tell us a little about the Hussar wheels/tyres? How are they compared to the kit versions ..... worth the investment? Where did you order them from?
Also have you used Eduard etch with any of your 15cwts?
Im thinking it might be worth picking up these items for whan I get around to my own kit eventually!! Thanks mate!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Frank.

Here's a pic of the Hussars tyre beside the kit tyre, you can see the difference. I was undecided about getting a set, but as far as I can see they are a good job. Both 16" which seems standard but the Hussars set has a nice chunky look about it. There were air bubbles to be filled under the pour stubs, but that was the only place I found any on my set. Not really a problem as that part can sit on the ground.

Worth the money, don't know it's an added expense to the kit but you can judge for yourself.

Got them through AirConnection under the Hussar Label at

www.airconnection.on.ca

Came across the water in a few days.

On the PE I got the Eduards Chevrolet Gun Tractor Set as I have the kit build already but may be able to use some of the external fittings to add a bit more.

Internally I used the access cover for the engine and some small fittings for the windows plus the attachment for the 'external air filter' (not sure what that part is!!! lol, lol.) I made pedels from plastic card, which I think are better than the PE ones, as lorry pedels tend to be big and stout. Other than that I stuck with the kti parts or made straps and handles from rolled lead wire and brass rod/wire.

I'm not sure I could recommend the Plus Models kit. Way too expensice and soft on detail, that said currently it's the only game in town so unless you can get you're hands on some drawings and make the parts yourself from plastic card the options are limited which is the same with all British/Commonwealth trucks in plastic.

Like the Bedfords the up side of that is the challenge but it's a real shame there isn't a much wider selection of British Commonwealth Trucks. I'm not a fan of PE, but again with these older kits you need something to bring them forward into the 21 centurary

Now if Italeri would retool the 15cwt and Chevrolet Gun Tractor and add the extened wheel base 134" and 158" versions that would be grand. Then someone else could take on the Bedford challenge and give us 4 or 5 version of that old girl.

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
Really turning out great Alan.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the run-down on the wheels and PE Alan. Im going to look into getting both. Those wheels do look good ... they look that bit beefier and should add considerably to the truck!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking in again, it's getting there. Fixing alll the doors and windows will be a job in itself lol, lol.

Frank,

Your welcome.

Cheers

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 05:19 PM UTC
Hey Al,
You are really getting along with that !
Looks better with each posting !!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks, more truck like now the wheels are on!

Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 03:33 AM UTC
Alan,

It looks like you have a bit of a problem with the fit of the roof. The front edge sticks out over the front of the window frame far too much. From the photos it should only be about .020-.030 in scale and it looks like it is over by about 1/8" or more. I'm not sure what you can do about that other than cut back the roof.

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

I'd agree, it has a 3mm overhang at the front. The setting for the cab and cabin is correct as the side doors determine this, looks like I shall have to do some sanding and rebuild the lip on the front.

Not the worlds best conversion set that's for sure.

Thanks

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Following on fron Paul's post I got the saw out and cut the offending length off the roof. I attached a small runner of plastic to the front and with a little more rounding and some paint this should fix the issue.

Apologies for the naff pics light has gone and flash in operation.

Not much else done today, made the mike for the radio, some biscuit tins had a first coat of paint and a helmet to hang inside. I want to make another set of webbing for the back of the second chair in the cabin and also maybe for the front drivers compartment. As it will be parked up with the doors open a mug of tea and some maps might be appropriate and I might shove a compo box and some kit bags in the back too.

Cheers

Al

panzerserra
Visit this Community
Goias, Brazil
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 688 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC
Nice job, Alan...

Your Chevy is being beautiful, very cool!!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Marcos,

I could say you're to blame for all this, as it was seeing you kit that got me going

Thanks for the comments and glad you're enjoying the build.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Guys, Just to keep you updated:

I've added another small storage container in the rear LHS as there is a higned access panel on the outside rear. Unfortunately this is one area of the vehicle I couldn't get a reference picture for so it's guess work. Other additional items now installed in the back are are the radio mike and a set of home made headphones, all wired in lol, lol. Added a rifle, hanging helmet and some Life and captured German magazines. a selection of maps and I have sten gun, another set of webbing and some items for the front to make and add so by the weekend I may be in a position to tackle getting the roof on.

Will post some updates when I've got a bit more done and we actually see some daylight to take pictures in lol, lol.

On the roof I have added some PE around the hatch and some small 'rubber' fittings to accept the cabel to the roof antenna.

A point to not is that if you fit the small window hinges on the front ouside arms of the screen they will interfer with the placement of the doors. I had planned to have one of the cab doors open and the other closed but may now just leave both open.

I haven't seen any pics of the vehicle actualy in the field, so a couple of questions:

1. Would they have had poles for the antenna, I could make these fairly easily, and stow them on the roof.

2. I assume additional stowage would also have been carried on the roof including the rof hatch?????

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi folks,

We had a few moments of good light today so I took a couple of pics of the progress.

I'm almost done on the rear RT cabin, just a few more small pices to add.

Any thoughts on the questions above?????

here's how it looks at the moment.

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hey Al,
LIFE magazine ????
A nice touch but you must be planning to make this a Canadian HUW !!
It's really coming along !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi John,

Maybe, there is a German Publication there to!!!!! Don't you like my home made headphones and webbing lol, lol, now they were fun.

I added an oily rag and spanner in the drivers compartment. Do you happen to know if they stored their weapons behind the seats? With the reduced cab length the rifle storage buts aren't there anymore??

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 05:13 PM UTC
Hey Al,
The headsets look good, spare photo etch brass and fuse wire I assume.
All the other clutter and gear make the radio cab look very busy.
Maybe add a copy of Signal as a souvenir !!
As to the weapons carried, I wonder if they would have had 9mm Stens instead of .303 SMLE's .
They're smaller, would have taken up less room in the driving compartment.
Additionally, I don't think communications radiomen would have been terribly proficient as marksmen and Stens would make more sense.
Can't wait to see the end product.
Cheers

jjumbo
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC
Turned out looking great so far Al. I like all the little details you added.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi Dave and John,

Thanks for the thoughts and comments guys.

Added the second set of webbing in the rear , (needs a touch up on the brasses). In the front I added an oily rag, spanner and a pin up girl to the back of the passengers seat

I have some stens, a signals satchel and some biscuit boxes to add to the rea which I should get built this evening and hopefully I can get the roof on tomorrow night. There was a cutain above the window in the partition and I may need to add that as well.

On the interior roof I added to small rubber points where the cable will feed into the antenna.

Al
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
Excellent. The detail in the interior is very impressive. Thanks for sharing
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 03:49 PM UTC
Kick a** as usual Al. Like always the detail is impressive.