Hosted by Darren Baker
Chevrolet C8A HUW
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Excellent updates and your Radio's do look very good. Pity about the Kit, however you make it appear easy.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi Thomo,

Thanks for looking in. Yip, the basic kit is disappointing in terms of internal detail and therefor flexibility. Still a challenge to make something more from it.

Al

Hi Guys,

I had 2 choices in seating, both from the M3 Scout Car. I'm going to use the front drivers seats as they seem more appropriate and in keeping with the reference pics I have. The rear seats would do at a push and if you wanted to fit in 3. There was a 2 or 3 seat option in the rear, but I'll go with 2 as that is what I have.

On the top RHS shelf I'll put some general kit. I've been studying the 1/2 picture I have of the LHS storage unit and if nothing else come to light I have a basic plan on how to finish that. The central scetion was an open shelf which I think was the battery store and the 'window' I believe is in fact the outside access panel to the Genny so I can put a box type structure over that.

Seating arrangement - these need small risers on the base of the seat which I'll add from I beams.

For better or worse the radiio unit and RHS storage are now fixed

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Busy day today, - added the feet to the seats and finsihed constructing the LHS stirage unit. A fraction shorter than I intended but looking at the pics it wasn't as long as the opposite unit given that the LHS door was used as the main access door.

I will have to change the catches on the bins, these ones are a bit naff.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well to finish off todays contribution some more updates:

Added the antenna points and PE, plus the storage box to the top of the roof. Had a few accidents along the way; test fitted the PE 3 times, then added a little silly glue and dropped the 2nd piece into the carpet monster, rolled over it with the wheel of my chair and when I did find it snapped it in half trying t fix it lol, lol. Then I proceed to drop another piece but the results weren't quite so bad, just needed straigthened after I had stepped on it lol, lol.

The furniture, chairs and roof then got some paint

Talking chairs, does anyone know if this style of seating would have had a green metal back or a canvas finish?

Al
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 07:50 AM UTC
Making good progress with this one Alan.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Thanks for dropping in, been a fairly productive day.

Al
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:28 PM UTC
Again, awesome progress. Its inspiring me to get off my jacksee and get some thing completed.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi Thomo,

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

Al

Question:

Then conversion instructions recommend you cut of all the risers on the chassis and cement both the replacement cabin and front cab to the chassis! Would this be correct? I would have thought the cabin would have sat slightly above the chassis!!!

Any thoughts anyone?

If I do this it will lower the cab and therefore alter the appearance of the whole vehicle. I wasn't convinced I needed to cut the risers of the rear axle to start with!!!

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A QUESTION FOR ALL TRUCKERS

OK folks, the conversion instructons tell you to remove al the cast on lugs on the top of the chassis, either cut them off or sand them down.

They also say to do the same for the front cab, ie remove the fixing points and when ready glue the whole kit to the chassis.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I can see that it would give a good fixing for the new part but the result would be to lower the whole vehicle down a couple of mm. Also if you remove the fixing points on the cab it would be much harder to get it into the correct position. The next thing that springs to mind is that the rear body wouldn't be fixed flat to the chassis anyway, it would be attatched slightly above it.

I had removed the lugs on the rear of the chassis as per the conversion instructions. The problem you have is that the rear mud guards catch on the suspension units, again this can't be right.

I am no technical expert on trucks but that's my thinking. I therefore plan to raise the rear cabin up to the level of the front cab and hopefully get something more akin to what I believe might be correct.

Does anyone one with truck knowledge agree or have I missed the plot here completely? Did the HUW sit flush with the chassis???????? I'd be quite happy for someone to tell me I was wrong.

Whilst I'm on about the kit, it provides the repalcement fuel tanks, but not replacement fittings to hold them, telling you instead to sand a mm off the existing ones. Why not just provide a new set to match the tanks.

Right, back to work.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hmmm Interesting response or lack of it lol, lol.

Right guys,

You know you have good days and bad days well yesterday was a bit of both. On the plus side the LHS storage unit and seats are turning out well I think? On the minus side I cocked up the front end of the truck by putting the window screen in bact to front I noticed that something was a bit odd about 2 hours later so had to dis-assemble the who thing, hence lots of filler. This was probably due to my mind being on the above and trying to decide whether or not to fix the whole structure to the chassis as recommended in the conversion instructions.

I also spent a lot of the day test fitting and adjusting the 2 parts to get the correct fit which is in fact determined by the roof, so lots of filing adjustments and fitting. I think it about right now.

I've opted for the other option mainly because I think the vehicle will sit too low to the ground. I know there were differences in the 15cwt and the C8A, the C8A had I think had a lighter axel and it may be that the body fixed flat onto the chassis but this presented problems with the suspension units catching on the inside of the rear mud guards. Anyway I filed a bit off the inside of the guards and this is where I'm at now.

The difference is about 2mm so either way it shouldn't effect the final build too much.

Some pics

The riased chassis with the correct windows and filler, Needs a bit of tidying up and there was a little damage to the RHS screen support but should still come out OK I also thinned down the gear and break levers considerable as they are chunky items!

I also fixed the bronken fuel tank, a really difficult fix trying to bend a piece of plastif to the right shape. Fuel caps ned tidyied up but it should do.

Al
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 09:41 PM UTC
looking really good atm Alan, your tearing up the strip with this one, phenominal progresss!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks. Apart from the screw up with the window screen, things are moving along quite well.

Undercoat on the chassis this morning which should show up any flaws or bits I misses when I was filling in.

Shopping now, my most (least) favourite activity

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

This is the pic I used for my 15cwt RT truck. The top set on the RHS is I think the No 19 high powered amp. Am I right in thinking it should be connected to a variometer as well? Any signals guys like to comment.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

made the seats and will add a little milliput to iove them some shape when they dry. Opted for one folded forward!

Some primer on the chassis.

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 02:12 PM UTC
Shaping up nicely Alan.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 04:32 PM UTC
Looking pretty sharp Alan.
I see you've settled on a generator hatch as opposed to a window on LHS rear.
If it been me, I'd have pimped the kit, closed the whole darn thing up and given it tinted windows !!
Looking forward to your next installment.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 05:51 PM UTC
Morning Dave and John,

Thanks for dropping in guys, appreciated.

John, as far as I can tell that's the access panel, well it is now .

Cheers

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Good progress Alan.
The interior should be perfect considering what will be seen when its all assembled.
I have something similar to this as well ... but its a vacuformed kit and the Italeri 1.5cwt.
Very basic kit and will need a lot of details added to the outside ... so IŽll probably skip the inside, except for some of the easier details. Hopefully (read undoubtably) by that time, youŽll have this finished and the feature will be a nice reference resource.
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
Evening

Sorry I can't be of any help with info. I have the Bedford and the 15CWT Chev in my stash. I just need more hands. The kit is looking very good, are you going for a two tone cam.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hi Frank and Thomo,

Thansk guys, a ways to go yet, but I should get the first coat of Green onto the body shell and the seats completed this evening, possibly get the cab finished with the bits left to do.

On marking and finish I hadn't really thought that far ahead. I have some of the Blue/Black disruptive from my desert build so might try a camo scheme although I'd be happy to finish it in green lol, lol.

The worst bit has yet to come, glass into the remaining windows, not something I look forward to lol, lol.

Cheers guys.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

small update.

a bit more work on the cabin and truck. Some more work on the seats, small stowage items and have added some pedels to the kit from plastic card and some small PE items. Also added the towing hooks to the front bumper. New tyres arrived form Hussars which look pretty good.

Al
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC
Sweet ride Alan!

Love the details.

cheers from the sanbox
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
i agree, looking really sharp, !! close ups please
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 09:44 AM UTC
Progress is again awesome. Everything looks excellent.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hey Al,
See you found some batteries !!
The HUW is looking better with each post.
What the quality like with the Hussar tires?
Cheers

jjumbo