Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Tracking Halfway: Halftracks Campaign
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Nice to see all the nice builds getting underway in this campaign. I am sure there will be some cool builds later.

I have not started on my Sd.Kfz. 251/22 yet. I just need to finish a few other builds and then PAK support will be forthcoming
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Hello everybody:

Some weekned progress pics. I went to my local hobby shop looking for a piece of metal sheet since I am planning not to buy any aftermarket set...trying to keep the scratch fun... ...and cheap..hehehehe
Also some pics of the IEFH 18 that will be towed by this truck....

Mirko
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC
Wow Mirko! You are spearheading away here!
This looks like a great build, just 2 small comments; the first one is an obvious one. your artillery piece is not a leFh18, it's the bigger brother, right?
And the second one concerns the treadplate in the driverscompartment; shouldn't it follow the pattern all the way across? I see you have 3 different sections now, which do not line up.

As for my build, I did slap some metal onto some resin, so I will post some pics later...
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:30 PM UTC
Great progress, Mirko. It looks really good so far. With the IEFH 18 in tow it is going to be very impressive. Do you have any plans for figures?

Looking forward to see more
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
Good builds coming up, nice to see. That Sdkfz 7 with scratchbuilt additions is coming along nicely.

I am still trying to complete my SPIF build to clear the workbench so that I can start on my halftrack. Still haven't decided which variant of the Sdkfz251 I'll build.
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hello everybody, Thanks for the replies, and I know that some details are not 100% accurate, but with this old kit is almost impossible..hahhaa... so please excuse me if i do not achieve 100% accuracy... I just want to participate in the group build and I did not buy any aftermarket set (and I was not planning on that neither heheheh)...anyway, I will try to do my best.....

Mirko
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 06:09 AM UTC
Here is my next update on my build:

the top and bottom halves are each about 85% done, and currently waiting for interior paint before being joined.

I am basically building OTB, just because I can't be bothered with niggly things right now (too much of that at work presently), and also because it is my first halftrack in about... oh, 18 years!
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC
Looking good my friend.....hopefully the assembly of the engine are will be an easy fit, on the dragon kit is just painful.....I built this from Dragon a while ago...really bad fitting angles:

Keep on the good work...Mirko

vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good my friend.....hopefully the assembly of the engine are will be an easy fit, on the dragon kit is just painful.....I built this from Dragon a while ago...really bad fitting angles

actually, I have already been wrestling with the dry fitting of top to bottom. straight away, the front upper and lower parts fitted ok, and the back upper and lower parts fitted well, but both together at the same time (as was required) did not work well at all.

I shaved a fair bit off the engine compartment bulkhead and some off the front angles of the engine area on the lower bit, and now have something that I hope will work well enough with minimal filler (after manhandling and some clamps)

looks like you did well with the dragon kit regardless!
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi all, Some really cool builds so far. For my build I'll be doing the Tamiya 250/9. Wish me luck, I should be able to start on it next week . Keep On Modelin...milvehfan
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 03:14 PM UTC
I think the intrincated angles make the fitting of all the 250/s51's really difficult disregard of the brand.
Anyway, some progress done today in my sdkfz7 accomplieshed with the help of a 7-Up alluminum can...hehehe...

Yeti123
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:01 PM UTC
Some great looking builds. I can't seem to decide which one I want to tackle. Like you Vance, I have not built one in a lot of years.
TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hello everyone!
I just signed to this campaign as my first one. Im gonna build DML Sdkfz 251/22 OOB.

There's one thing I didnt understand, Where do I put my photos when i am done?
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
Welcome Tuomas! Great choice of kit and looking forward to your build. Post your photos in the Campaign Gallery.
TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Post your photos in the Campaign Gallery.

Thanks mate!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Here is what I plan on building for this campaign.

I have had this kit sitting on the shelf for several years and I decided it was time to do something with it.

It will be an OOB build and I will probably show it as being in North Africa.

I hope to have some in-progress photos to show soon.

HARV
surgeon01
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi to all,
last saturday I couldn't resist the Dragon M2A1 at my LHS. Now I saw this nice campaign with so many great half-tracks in construction. Count me in.
I just finished the chassis (pictures will follow).
Happy modelling and greetings from Germany
ro
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:01 AM UTC
Lots of great work so far...am going to take a stab at finishing this one (0 for the last 2, couldn't get the Sherman done nor the Flamethrower one) , so hopefully this one comes through. Toss up between the Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 7 w/20mm Flakvierling or the DML M4 81mm Mortar Carrier...

Too many choices!

Cheers -

Tim
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:17 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Tuomas, Randy, Robert and Tim! Glad to see the campaign is generating interest.

Randy, that kit is an old dog as far as I know. It might even be a 1/32 Monogram that Tamiya interited. Still, it should go together easily, just don't use those "figürelike" things that come with it

Tuomas, you will be building my platonic love of Sdkfz 251. I always see it at the LHS, but come out without buying it, have several Sdkfz 251s in the stash.

Tim, may I suggest you build the US M4 mortar carrier? We seem to have an abundance of German halftracks, some Allied stuff should do well to add flavor.

Good progress Vance, keep at it. Hope you don't have too many places to fill.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Wow, excellent campaign and one that I too am really happy to see, especially considering that I've just started construction on this kit:

So, if I am allowed (sorry, got here a bit late), I would love to participate.

I'll post some pics of some of the work so far soon.

Rob
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
Mirko.......your Famo is really coming good,look foward to see it finished !!!
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
Thanks Anthony.....I am trying hard to improve Tamiyas old SDkfz. 7. I decided to turn the kit to the early version with the handles and all that stuff.

I am kindda on stand by since i am working on the base for the dio where this kit will be going....ill try topaint it and post some picturessoon

Thanks again...
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:27 AM UTC
My latest update...

Not a ton of work accomplished, but here it is.

The crew area deck didn't mate perfectly with the lower hull, so it was neccassary to use some Mr. Surfacer to hide the join. I painted it into the cracks/seams with an old number 1 brush (cleans up with isopropanol, aka rubbing alcohol). It took a couple layers to fill to my satisfaction:

After letting it dry for an hour, removing the excess filler is made trivial by scrubbing with a cotton swab moistened with isopropanol:

The interior of the upper and lower hull segments were then sprayed with dark yellow, and the drivers area hand painted with Valleho "buff" color once that was dry. No washes or drybrushing yet:

Before I join the upper and lower hulls, I need to pick out details and do several other things to the interior while i can still easily reach it.

So that where she stands now. I have a very busy October coming up, so it may be a while before i get much more done on this, especially considering other campaign deadlines that are looming.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:00 PM UTC
I have now begun on my Sd.Kfz. 251/22 kit from Dragon. I am really looking forward to this one, so I started right after finished my Pz. Jg. I for the Eastern front campaign.

We are 3 or 4 modellers making this one for the campaign. Not surprisingly taking the quality of the kit into account. Everything looks fantastic in the box and the humble beginnings with this kit are stunning. The level of detail is great and everything fits together well so far.

More to follow.....

TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have now begun on my Sd.Kfz. 251/22 kit from Dragon. I am really looking forward to this one, so I started right after finished my Pz. Jg. I for the Eastern front campaign.

We are 3 or 4 modellers making this one for the campaign. Not surprisingly taking the quality of the kit into account. Everything looks fantastic in the box and the humble beginnings with this kit are stunning. The level of detail is great and everything fits together well so far.

More to follow.....

Hey Jesper,
Glad to see we are on same model . What camouflage scheme were you thinking of?
I had problems to get that box shut once it was open, It was so full of stuff.