Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I certainly hope that you have more luck than I am having. I went to a larger city today 30+ miles (50 km) away that has eight hobby shops. Would you believe not one Matchbox or Revell re-release in any of them. Al

Well, my LHS had loads of the Revell re-releases last time I was there, but that was quite a while ago... Have imposed myself a kit embargo... So I'm just hoping they will have some when I go there at the end of the month. Anything in particular you're looking for? I could send you one if they (still) have them. Postage here is not (yet) quite as bad as in the states (don't know about Canada...).

Cheerio!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
I have both the Diamond T and the Priest in an unbuilt state, though I see that others have already committed to doing these. It would be nice if we managed to hit as many as possible of the available range, although at the same time I guess there is no harm in having more than one of the same vehicle.

I will see what else I might be able to come up with.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC
I looked at my original release Matchbox M40 GMC kit and decided that I cannot open it to build (sob) so I will get the Revell re-release and build dat 'un
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 09:07 AM UTC
@muddyfields - I've looked around my local eBay and they have some kits. While the prices aren't too bad the shipping costs are as much if not more than the kit. I'm not that desperate or is it I'm thrifty(cheap).

@Dangeroo - Thanks for the offer Stefan but here in Canada there are kinds of what I'll call hidden costs that can add tremendously to the cost. As an example, if I have a kit shipped via airmail from Calgary, Alberta there is a fuel surcharge of $5.00 and that surcharge is taxed both federally and provincially. Add all the incidentals and a $10.00 kit ends up costing you $25.00. Some U.S. mail order shops have slightly lower prices and shipping but then at the border they tack on all applicable taxes, duties as well as what they call a brokerage fee. The $9.00 model ends up costing you $24.00+.

@firstcircle - Matthew, there is absolutely no harm of having duplicate builds. Paint, decals and the permitted minor embellishments can make each kit unique. Your name has been checked in the chart but I've left the selection blank.

@Sabredog - Just do what you feel is best Michael. It's the same kit but I can see the original having a collectors potential.

As for me, the one hobby shop I contacted suggested that I send them the kit numbers of the Revell re-releases that I am interested in and they'll contact their suppliers to see if they can get them. They state that delivery time is usually about a week. So there may be light at the end of this tunnel.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC
Anyway - I had a quick look on ebay, and just couldn't resist, so now you can put me down for a SdKfz 234/2 Puma. Don't remember ever seeing this one around in the shop where I used to buy these kits all those years ago. If anyone else comes up with that too, then I'll make up my mind nearer the time.

Someone else on ebay was also selling an SdKfz 11/PAK40/BMWR75 which I don't remember seeing much before either.

More weird was someone selling *just the box* for the Wespe - and someone bought it for 99p! Can't believe they really knew what they were buying.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Matthew, your choice and disposition can be noted in the chart.

EDIT: As we have just started our third page of postings I've moved the membership chart to the next page.

Before I took my sabbatical from building I was working on the SdKfz 11/PAK40/BMWR75. It is a very fine kit. As I already started the half-track I could not in any good consciousness enter it in this campaign. As for the Wespe box, there is no way for us to understand the mind of the collector. Sabredog found an original kit and is predisposed to not enter it as it might have future value. We all do what is best for us.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 06:48 PM UTC
What can I say, breaks my heart to crack open an original

Even has the original price tag on it - $1.51!!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What can I say, breaks my heart to crack open an original

Even has the original price tag on it - $1.51!!

$1.51???? That is bordering on the criminally insane! IIRC, my first Matchbox kit (Wespe) was something like $1.75. The Morris and 17 pdr had a price tag on it of $5.99. Many of the Braille scale kits at the local hobby shop are currently in the $12 to $15 range.

I've updated the chart above and we now have 21 Enlistees. A hardy welcome to Braille and Torchy, our most recent members. From a thread dealing with how many members actually complete campaigns the rough total suggests that only about 35% actually post pictures in the campaign gallery and receive a ribbon. When we finally launch this campaign let us try to set a completion record. When the time comes and despite your skill level please don't be shy to post your completed works. After all, it's all about nostalgia and FUN.

Cheers,
tread_geek
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
To One and All,
I recently ordered some of the Revell-germany repops of the Matchbox kits from Squadron. They had in stock at that time the M-24 Chaffee, Puma, Krupp Protze, Comet, Humber, M16 Halftrack, sdkfz 251/1 b, Jagdpanther, and a few others. They were priced between $7.50 and $10 or so. Their service is fairly fast also. Just an FYI for those still hunting down build options.

Minas-Ithil
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When we finally launch this campaign let us try to set a completion record. When the time comes and despite your skill level please don't be shy to post your completed works.

Especially as this out of the box builds of little kits whose beauty is their simplicity . . .

$1.51? 47pence.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
@Stephen Thanks for the "heads up" about Squadron. Not only are their prices not bad but it appears that their shipping costs can be quite reasonable when ordering multiple items. If I get three or four kits it works out to about $3.00 each.

@Matthew The simplicity of these kits should greatly add to the completion ratio, I would think.

Used my computers calculator to convert Michael's Aus$1.51 and it works out to:

Cdn$1.49
Euro .94
£ .84
US$1.47

Cheers,
Jan
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Count me in on this one! I'm not sure yet which kit I will tackle (I have most of them). Right now I'm thinking either PK75 - Humber MK-III or PK173 - LRGD 30cwt Chevrolet and Willys Jeep. I'll have to dig through my stash to see if anything else strikes my fancy ...
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Welcome Mark and you have been added to the membership list. The LRDG multi kit is really something and I bought it out of hand when I first saw it. Couldn't resist such an interesting subject.

Cheers,
treag_geek
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi all,
I'd definitely like to tackle the M19 Diamond T, this beast is just sooo sweet and besides I have always wanted to do one from the first time I saw it in matchbox boxing!

Cheers,
Greg
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
Grzegorz, your proposed selection has been added to the master Enlistees list above.

I've had some PM's inquiring about qualifying kits and there seems to be some confusion evident. I've taken the liberty to create a list of qualifying kits with both Matchbox and Revell product numbers. I'm sure that if I missed something someone will let me know.

Cheers,
Jan
tommytanker
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 05:15 PM UTC
Hey TG,
I recieved my 251 today that I got off Ebay as you haven't added my builds to the list it will be the 251 and the M-7 priest. I may also try for an M-19 transporter if I can find on cheap! I found my M-3 and jagpanther that I had built many moons ago in Germany and will post pics soon( maybe on Wed for Vets day!). Good Hunting, Gdub
Smartin
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

Make my Churchill A.V.R.E. a 'definite' please.

Cheers

Martin
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC
@Gary (tommytanker) -your choices have been duly noted in the list. A few people have expressed interest in doing more than one kit but you are the first to actually want to commit to it. Any pictures that you wish to share with the group in this thread would be appreciated. It all helps to build the enthusiasm.

@Martin (Smartin) - your wish is now noted in the chart. That brings to eight the people that have a 'definite' and with the multipacks represents nine different vehicles.

Cheers,
Jan
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Just got me a Char B.1 bis and Renault FT.17 off Ebay,thats me in
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When we finally launch this campaign let us try to set a completion record. When the time comes and despite your skill level please don't be shy to post your completed works.

Especially as this out of the box builds of little kits whose beauty is their simplicity . . .

$1.51? 47pence.

Well I purchased it in 1980
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Puma has arrived. Make it a definite please. It looks great.
Removed by original poster on 11/11/09 - 23:19:43 (GMT).
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
@Torchy - Chart has been updated to show your preference.

@Michael - Purchased in 1980, now there must have been quite a layer of dust on that box.

@firstcircle - Matthew, your choice has been appended to the chart.

Luck has smiled upon the tread_geek. After much searching I finally found a shop that deals with Revell kits to almost an extreme. It's located approximately 40 miles (70 km) away and also has mail order. I've ordered the M-40 GMC and the M-7 Priest. They also had a couple of other kits that I have been drooling to lay my hands on (17 cm German Howitzer and modern infantry for my M-119 build). The prices weren't too bad ($13.00) for the Revell kits and shipping is only $13.00 for all four kits. Now to keep my paws off the former Matchbox kits until the campaign starts.

Many Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
Jan, I see that you are in Ontario and you mention above that you've found a place that has mail order in the province. Could you please post or message me the name, address and such. I've got two PK-178 Challengers but might like something different.

Thanks,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, I see that you are in Ontario and you mention above that you've found a place that has mail order in the province. Could you please post or message me the name, address and such. I've got two PK-178 Challengers but might like something different.

Greetings AJ and everyone else. What a marvellous day to wake up to, The day was sunny and although I woke up a little late there was a pleasant surprise waiting for me on my recliner.

Amongst a few other things in that box were these gems.

I had received no information or contact about my mail order and was thinking of calling them as today marked one week since I placed my order. Needless to say I am not only delighted with my find but also with the selection and service of this company. AJ, I've forwarded the pertinent information and Web site of the company to you, let me know if you have any further questions. Another joyous thing was that shipping for four kits was $8.86 as opposed to their estimated $13.00 displayed on the Web form. Now, what will I decide to build for the campaign? We should all have such difficult decisions.

Best regards,
self propelled tread_geek