Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

we'll use 00:01 May 15/10 Zulu (GMT) as the official start time

Jan, I guess that should say January - is May the finish line?

I have to admit to having become a little "bogged down" with my Airfix Mk I - shall we say obsessive even. It might do me good to put it to one side and concentrate for some evenings on strictly out of the box.

CMOT70
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 11:52 AM UTC
I've decided to do the M24 first. But hopefully i will do more than one anyway, should be able to build these during down time on bigger projects.

Andrew
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, I guess that should say January - is May the finish line?

I have to admit to having become a little "bogged down" with my Airfix Mk I - shall we say obsessive even. It might do me good to put it to one side and concentrate for some evenings on strictly out of the box.

Matthew, the date is fixed. I know how you feel about the Mk I as I am in a similar situation with my BTR-80 build. Real life requirements and a broken/damaged pin vice have been my curse. It might be nice to do a "quick" and basically OOB build. Granted, knowing myself I fear that once I start I will be hard pressed not to embellish a tad.

Quoted Text

I've decided to do the M24 first. But hopefully i will do more than one anyway, should be able to build these during down time on bigger projects.

Andrew, I'll update the chart with your selection. It's seems that more than a few of us are looking forward to a simpler build that will show more immediate results.

Cheers,
Jan

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
I've created the gallery for this campaign.
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/25204
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've created the gallery for this campaign.

Thank you very much, Gary.

We are getting down to the wire now. Less than 30 hours to go before we have lift off!

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Granted, knowing myself I fear that once I start I will be hard pressed not to embellish a tad.

Yes, I've already been thinking about how to get a realistic weight bulge on the bottom of the tyres . . . but . . . must. . . fight . . . it . . .

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
Matthew, I feel your pain and anguish. Tire bulge definitely falls within the rules. Can I ever build OOB again!

Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
There's only a little under five and a half hours to go and the campaign officially begins. I won't be on until quite a bit after the start time so good luck to everyone. If you haven't already done so, please post sprue shots when you start so all can see what each kit contains. This isn't mandatory but I think that it might add to the excitement.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:06 AM UTC
Thank you for posting Matthew, you are first out the gate with a post after the campaign went "live." The Puma should be an interesting build. These multi-wheeled machines can be a challenge in getting all the wheels to touch the ground/base. It's also nice to see that the turret hatches are separate pieces and not moulded on as with some more recent kits.

Cheers,
Jan
Smartin
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi there fellow campaigners,

Today I started with my build; the churchil AVRE.

My god what did revell do to this kit;the plastic looks like the plastic used on the small model soldiers (almost flexible) I hope it wil turn out nice...I keep u informed.

Good luck with your builds

Smartin
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My god what did revell do to this kit;the plastic looks like the plastic used on the small model soldiers (almost flexible) I hope it wil turn out nice...I keep u informed.

Martin, the Revell plastic is rather different from the Matchbox type. I've looked at my M40 and the plastic appears the same as the plastic used with their SpPz-2 Luchs that I built last year. It is both somewhat flexible but also brittle (especially with the smaller thinner parts). The Matchbox plastic was more rigid but also different to cut and work with. May I suggest taking your time and making sure that your knife blades are new and sharp.

Cheers,
matchbox_geek?
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there fellow campaigners,

Today I started with my build; the churchil AVRE.

Good luck with your builds

Smartin

I broke out mine a few days ago, though I haven't started building yet (had to make some space first...). Will start tomorrow. As it's the sam kit I won't bore you with another pic... Didn't notice any problems with the plastic (although the tracks are (still) horrible...).

Quoted Text

I've added a new colour coding to the Enlistment/Build chart. IF the kit name beside your name appears a shade of green then you have firmly expressed a desire to start that kit. If I can figure out how, I'll add a progress bar beside each person.

Man, you're realy taking this seriously!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Man, you're realy taking this seriously!

Stefan, I can't take all the credit for the little extras I am trying for this campaign. I noticed that someone at Aeroscale did something similar with charts for a campaign they ran. It seemed quite cool and the campaign members really seemed to like and appreciate it. It also seemed to create some excitement every time the leader updated his chart. Imitation being the greatest form of flattery, I decided to give something similar a try. This may all be about fun but with the chart it makes it easier to keep track of everyone's progress and in the end figure out who gets an award.

Cheers,
Jan
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC
And here's what I'll be putting together for this campaign.

-Eddy
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
I see, as Jan says, that the Humber also has the separately moulded hatches like the Puma - but unlike the Puma has a figure to go in the open hatch, and one which looks relatively sensible. Unlike the poor sucker in my first progress pic below who appears to be waving to someone he's looking at through binoculars, while his mates get on with spraying leaden death in the same direction. I guess that's why he's been shot in the chest.

I don't understand how to use the gallery link mentioned above by the way. When I tried to upload to it, it just uploaded it to my own. Am I missing something?
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Looking good everyone

I won't be starting my M40 quite yet as I have other commitments but the box is sitting on the workbench ready to go.

Cheers

Mike
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
@Eddy- I like the colour Revell used for your Humber. Just seeing the sprues and the parts on them bring back some wistful memories. I still haven't been able to dig up the one I did way back when so I'll have to live vicariously through your build.

@Matthew- Finally we get to see someone actually making some progress. As for your wounded figure, with the skills you've shown with the Mk I build I am sure that your surgical skills can patch him up. Perhaps some rearranging of his lower extremities could have him in a hatch as the Puma commander. In that sense he can be waving bye, bye to his targets.

@Michael- My kit is also "near" the bench but my BTR build must take priority at the moment as the campaign I am building it for ends at the end of this month. And if anyone asks, NO, it is not a conspiracy that the campaign leader and co-leader are building the same kit.

Cheers,
Jan
CMOT70
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 08:50 PM UTC
Some progress on the M-24. Assembled it and got the primer on today. I'm going to have some difficulty getting the idler and drive sprockets under the track guards...but the only other option was to put the guards on after painting- which should be tomorrow.

Andrew
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 11:45 PM UTC
I started with my AVRE and it's a joy to be able to actually see substantial progress in so little time... After a little over 2 hours I'm about 60% done with the basic build. I hope o finish the build today and will post some pics soon!

Cheerio!
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
As promised, this is my contribution to this wonderful campaign:

Sadly, I can't start sooner than I want to. Maybe next week I'll start posting WIP pix.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some progress on the M-24. Assembled it and got the primer on today. I'm going to have some difficulty getting the idler and drive sprockets under the track guards...but the only other option was to put the guards on after painting- which should be tomorrow.

Andrew, nice progress and even a minor difficulty shows that while simple, these kits can have their challenges. You've got plenty of time so don't forget to have fun and enjoy your build.

Quoted Text

I started with my AVRE and it's a joy to be able to actually see substantial progress in so little time... After a little over 2 hours I'm about 60% done with the basic build. I hope o finish the build today and will post some pics soon!

Stefan, I hope that you are not alone in experiencing some real satisfaction from how satisfying it is to see one of these kits come together. I think that we all need to see where we come from and what endeared us to this hobby. THe AVRE is probably one of the more "difficult" kits that Matchbox made and as I've rarely seen good pictures of one I look forward to you posting.

@Toby- As I stated to Andrew, there's plenty of time. From what I read somewhere the Challenger is not without certain difficulties. The main point was an issue trying to get the tracks on over the completed suspension. The tracks are a bit thick and getting them over the idler and drive sprocket can be a pain. Then again, what's a kit without a challenge or two.

To everyone- The Campaign Gallery for this campaign is for finished pictures. Please post your in-progress pictures in this thread. Michael (Sabredog) and I will be around to assist you if you should experience any difficulties when the time comes.

Happy building,
Jan
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 06:59 AM UTC
Allright, here we are... Was a bit too optimistic about finishing today, the kit is more complex than I thought (or than I expected from a Matchbox kit).

Quoted Text

THe AVRE is probably one of the more "difficult" kits that Matchbox made and as I've rarely seen good pictures of one I look forward to you posting.

Hope I won't disapoint you there Jan, here we are:

Finishing Tuesday.

Cheerio and enjoy your builds!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
Okay, I signed up and I hope that I don't regret it . This is my first campaign and my first attempt at a complete build in an extremely long time. I've started this:

I think that in my haste I may have run into a problem that was mentioned above with this kit. I'll post progress pictures after I check out a couple of things.

Regards,
AJ
tommytanker
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 01:54 PM UTC
Hey Guys,
I started my M-7 but will hold off on the 251 until I can get some pics posted. Thats what I have Teenage sons for, so I don't have to mess with new tech like digital cameras!!!! I wanted to start so decided on the Priest first. I can't believe some of you are almost finished!! By the way I really like the M-24 progress, My boys and I were recruited today to help get a real one up and running, Can't wait to hear those twin Caddies growling!!
Good Hunting, Gary W.