Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy y'all!

Thought I'd add some nostalgia, found some pics on my PC of an ancient build. The Matchbox M24 with base and a few modifications: Trees and Matchbox figures. Must have been about 15 when I did it.

Thank you for sharing your build with us. It looks better than some larger scale vignettes that I've seen.

Quoted Text

Is this the kind of modifications to the base we're talking or is it already too much (not that the AVRE-base would have any room for modifications... )

Cheerio!

Stefan, your modifications to the base would definitely fall within the rules as they currently stand. While additional figures are not mentioned in the rules, I don't see too big of a problem if someone wants to add two or three. IIRC, many of the Matchbox kits with figures usually only came with just a couple. As you mention, some of the bases may not lend themselves to much modification as they are rather limited in size. This was one reason why I solicited everyone's input on if we should allow bases to be extended in some cases. I still believe that in some cases we might still permit a bit, say 20%, enlargement, of a base. The Comet, Panzer III and M40 come to mind as having perhaps a little too small a base. Let's see what others think of these ideas.

Cheers,
Jan
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
I do not know what I will participate in the campaign ... maybe the Puma, or a Churchill AVRE. I wish with a Firefly, but it's ok if it covered with a hessian tape????...I would like to do a new experiment....
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...some of the bases may not lend themselves to much modification as they are rather limited in size. This was one reason why I solicited everyone's input on if we should allow bases to be extended in some cases. I still believe that in some cases we might still permit a bit, say 20%, enlargement, of a base. The Comet, Panzer III and M40 come to mind as having perhaps a little too small a base. Let's see what others think of these ideas.

Well, in the case of the AVRE, it's actually just a piece of "dirt" with some track marks in it. It will more or less disappear under the Churchill. In this case any enlargment would be a substantial change to the base and the base would be - in my opinion - no longer recognisable... The only thing I could imagine would be to make it higher and add water in front of the vehicle. I think I'll just mount it on a wooden base and that's it (I think that would be acceptable, no?).

Cheerio!

PS: thanks for the comments about the M24, but if you look closely you'll notice that I didn't even weather any at that time (for starters).
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not know what I will participate in the campaign ... maybe the Puma, or a Churchill AVRE. I wish with a Firefly, but it's ok if it covered with a hessian tape????...I would like to do a new experiment....

Dani, I and the others would need more information before making a discussion. If the amount of tape/netting used was moderate as in the Missing Links Article then I don't see a problem. It would be similar to loading up a vehicle with some external storage. As long as the vehicle can still be identified as an original kit then it should pass the rules. Let's see what others think of this idea before we make a ruling.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, in the case of the AVRE, it's actually just a piece of "dirt" with some track marks in it. It will more or less disappear under the Churchill. In this case any enlargment would be a substantial change to the base and the base would be - in my opinion - no longer recognisable... The only thing I could imagine would be to make it higher and add water in front of the vehicle. I think I'll just mount it on a wooden base and that's it (I think that would be acceptable, no?).

Cheerio!

Stefan, without more details it is a hard thing to judge. The majority at this point wish for the builds to remain as close to OOB as possible. I appreciate that with some kits the bases are quite minimal and might at least need to be doubled in size. Perhaps that would be best left for a future campaign. As far as a wooden base is concerned I see no problem. We do not want to stifle the artistic nature of our hobby. Further, you might be able to use a wooden base to somewhat extend the terrain for your build. Providing the size is not over powering.

Quoted Text

PS: thanks for the comments about the M24, but if you look closely you'll notice that I didn't even weather any at that time (for starters).

To be honest the pictures are a bit small but I like to presume that what I don't see may be present. My experiences here at Armorama have to this point been both pleasant and encouraging. The skill level that one was at in previous times have little if nothing to do with where we are now. I am not overly proud of some of the pictures that I have posted from my past builds but they are what got me to the point that I am now at.

Cheers,
Jan
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC
Jan,

Searched and searched everywhere in my stash of kits but couldn't find that Matchbox Puma anywhere 'where did I leave it', so both my hands without asking me (wait untill the SWABO heres about this, those two hands are in really big trouble ) went ahead and ordered the Revell #3223 1/76 Humber Mk II online together with the JLC razor saw that I had been wanting to get for sometime. Won't opened the box when I recieve it! Waiting for the launch date to start on this one. You could go ahead and put this kit down as a definite selection on the membership list for me.

Thanks,
-Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
Eddy, you're selection has been duly added to the participants list. The Humber has always been one of my favourites. It also has a somewhat more substantial base than some of the kits. There is enough room on it to add some nice little embellishments.

Cheers,
Jan
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
Jan, please excuse me for my late reply, but I was "gone" a week in hospital for a second operation on my left leg .For my Firefly i want to experience something like that:

Is ok?
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
The one thing that jumps to mind with the Matchbox kits, was the different "2 colours" of the smaller kits and "3 colours" of the larger kits, with artwork on the sides of the box showing the completed model showing unpainted showing of the different colors.

Now if we are really being nostalgic, should a true OOB example displayed in its multi-color plastic greatness be acceptable, ie without paint and any other additions (ok I draw the line at using tube cement) ? After all, this is how many of us started with these kits in the 70s. Of coarse, we would have to using the original kits from Matchbox, I doubt that the Revel kits feature this feature !

Ian

Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:49 AM UTC
Nope.. Revell kits are unicolor (usually dark green). However, there is nothing to stop you from painting your model like it is modelled in 3 colors off course
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nope.. Revell kits are unicolor (usually dark green). However, there is nothing to stop you from painting your model like it is modelled in 3 colors off course

Looks like I will have to grab an original Matchbox kit on eBAY

Now which kit had the most striking colors ?

Ian
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks like I will have to grab an original Matchbox kit on eBAY

Now which kit had the most striking colors ?

Ian

Most of their allied kits were dark green/ brown and their German counterparts usually dark grey/ light grey. Kits of desert subjects were usually 2 or 3 colors of tan.

I'd say the T34 (white/ light blue) would be the kit with the most striking colors.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, please excuse me for my late reply, but I was "gone" a week in hospital for a second operation on my left leg .For my Firefly i want to experience something like that:
Is ok?

@Dani - I sincerely hope that your operation went well and that you will fully recover. As far as your request goes, I have left answering you to see what other members of our group have to say about the picture you posted. My first reaction to the picture you posted here is that the tape is a bit too extreme as it over powers the basic model. However, if you could tone it down to say something like the Comet on Missing Lynx then I would accept that.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
@Ian - Welcome to our little group and your callsign has been added to the enlistees chart. You now swell our number to 27.

@Ian and Richard - Because of your exchange about the plastic colours of the original kits I was intrigued and at least had to have a look at the Revell M7 that I have. Surprisingly and unlike other Revell kits that I've had exposure to (Luchs, Leopard, PANZERHAUBITZE 2000) the sprues are sealed in a plastic bag (which I did not remove them from). Further, they are a dark olive green and from my cursory examination appear to be made of a different plastic than the Matchbox originals. Just for curiosity sake, while British unit decals are an option for the Priest, the crew figures are definitely in American uniforms.

If anyone cares to build an original Matchbox with the multi coloured plastic and leave it unpainted then I would consider that they are exercising their artistic licence. Perhaps I will have to do an in-box review of the kit and submit it to Armorama.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
Well, if everyone completes their builds prior to painting, takes snaps, then does the paintwork, (as is the norm these days) I'm sure we'll see lots of photos of the kits in their mulitcoloured satin plastic glory before the painting covers it forever.

Maybe that should be a campaign rule?
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Ian - Welcome to our little group and your callsign has been added to the enlistees chart. You now swell our number to 27.

I have a couple of Churchills AVRE on their way to me, so I will build one for the campaign, that bridge is one of the coolest models that Matchbox produced (I wish someone did that in 1/35 plastic)

A T34 may be a fun one to build with my Daughter, building it sans paint and appyling the decals to the bare plastic, I will have to look out for a cheap one on evilbay. I have fond memories of building a Matchbox Alpha Jet when I was about 10 or younger, that kit was in two colours, with its white fuse and red wings and yes it was completed and decaled without paint !

Ian
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, if everyone completes their builds prior to painting, takes snaps, then does the paintwork, (as is the norm these days) I'm sure we'll see lots of photos of the kits in their mulitcoloured satin plastic glory before the painting covers it forever.

Maybe that should be a campaign rule?

Matthew, you make a very valid and interesting point. I certainly hope that people will display their build progress pictures. If anyone is building an original Matchbox kit then I think that they and we as a whole owe it to posterity to have a record of the sprues and unpainted model(s).

From what I can see I am able to modify sections of the enlistment page, including the rules. I wouldn't like to add sprue pictures or unpainted complete model pictures to the rules with soliciting others opinions. As of this writing I would like to strongly suggest that if feasible, owners building an original kit submit sprue pictures in this thread. This could be done prior to the official start of the campaign provided that the owners of these kits not be tempted and start construction early.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a couple of Churchills AVRE on their way to me, so I will build one for the campaign, that bridge is one of the coolest models that Matchbox produced (I wish someone did that in 1/35 plastic)

Our little mechanized company will definitely not be short of bridging equipment. Your selection has been added to the master list.

Quoted Text

A T34 may be a fun one to build with my Daughter, building it sans paint and appyling the decals to the bare plastic, I will have to look out for a cheap one on evilbay. I have fond memories of building a Matchbox Alpha Jet when I was about 10 or younger, that kit was in two colours, with its white fuse and red wings and yes it was completed and decaled without paint !

If the above came about you could get your daughter her own callsign, register for the campaign and be awarded the distinguished Matchbox award ribbon.

The image above is one of several I found on Nick's Model Tanks pages. The fellow has quite a few Matchbox builds as well as Airfix 1/76. Of interest to Matthew might be his World War I tanks page found HERE .

Cheers,
Jan
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
If some of us likes to show of the 2 color or 3 color plastic of the unpainted Matchbox kits, maybe they can just post a photo similar to this during their WIP :

Just suggesting
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:44 PM UTC
Btw, I managed to gather all my Matchbox and Revel re-boxed Matchbox kits together for a group photo:

The M3 Honey set is missing. Its probably under my Revel AG stash. Obviously I am a Matchbox fan. I have an equal number of aircraft kits all in 1/72nd scale as well as all the 1/76th figures (except US Infantry).

Can't wait for Jan. 15, 2010!!!
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:39 PM UTC
Man, toby, that's a nice collection! You wouldn't consider parting with one of those humbers? or the M16? Or the M24... Brings back a lot of old memories...

Looking forward to this campaign!

Concerning pics of unbuilt kits: I hope everybody will post such pics without it being mandatory.

Cheerio!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
@Toby, that's the spirit. I think that you are going to make more than a few of us jealous. And that Jagdpanther image is very cool.

@Stefan, I really don't want to make it mandatory but leave it voluntary. Only about 40 days to go before 'M' Day.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of interest to Matthew might be his World War I tanks page found HERE .

Cheers Jan, I have seen that page before, while hunting around for info for my Mk I build. I liked his bit about "I couldn't take the inaccuracies any longer." Notice he has it on a Matchbox base too.

Also, Ian, this is a bit of a coincidence:

"A T34 may be a fun one to build with my Daughter . . ."

I helped my 9 year old daughter build the T34 this year! She was always hassling me to let her "help me" in building a kit, so I said "I don't need help, but I'll help you instead" - she did make most of it herself and we did the first paint job a few weekends ago.

Sadly, I don't have a picture of it unpainted . . . the shame! But here it is after the dark green airbrushing she did. After a while she couldn't take the safety mask any longer, so it's a little bit rough!

This wouldn't qualify for the campaign rules by the way, as I "helped" by adding the spare tracks I had left over from my Eastern Express SU-122. These are link and length types which are a bit of an improvement I think.

Also: " I have fond memories of building a Matchbox Alpha Jet when I was about 10 or younger, that kit was in two colours, with its white fuse and red wings and yes it was completed and decaled without paint !"
- and I did exactly the same. I had forgotten all about that Alphajet. I seem to remember the red and white was fairly authentic as well, wasn't it some French aerobatic team? And it also came with West German airforce crosses I think.

I recently dug out of the cupboard from my mother's house my T34 recovery tank conversion I did all those years ago (30 years?). A piece of felt pen tube was used for the cupola, wine bottle lead for the tarpaulin and ends of the cotton tow ropes, and notice the Rawlplug unditching log! Decals came from the Airfix Stalin III.

ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
Wow! firstcircle, you were doing conversions 30 years ago. Kewl!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Matthew, thanks for sharing those pictures. Your daughter did a quite equitable job even though daddy was helping. At nine years old I thought the old Airfix kits didn't need paints because they already were the proper colour and didn't even know airbrushes existed. Personally, I appreciate having some of my old kits around to see how over the years my abilities have improved.

While more than somewhat I dug around the parents place and found a box of completed and incomplete scratch build projects around the same age as your T-34 ARV. In my case I used an Airfix 1/76 Universal carrier, measured it up and created a drawing. These were high school days and money was in short supply so scratch building was an economical way of expanding my "forces." If I recall correctly my intention was to build a platoon of these vehicles. Sadly I only completed one but found most of the parts for a second.

The original and parts from the second unit.

Cheers,
Jan