Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
The Workhorse: Panzer IV
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Wow Jesper,fast progress so far.Looking good.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Jasper looking good there. Here is where I'm at with my Jadgpanzer. Mixed up some Dunkelgelb and got that sprayed on
Photobucket
Also got some work done on the commander, here is what he looks like so far, my first attempt at this camo pattern
Photobucket
Hoping to get some green sprayed on today and maybe get the tools painted. That's if the weather holds we finally got some real rain here.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys. Hope to get some mud and some base colour on my Ostwind over the next few days.

Sal, nice progress. I thought I was fast, you are on fire!
The camouflage looks good. Do not forget some washes and highlights for the skin areas and maybe a less red mouth. Looking forward to see more.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi Jasper,
Thanks for the tips on the figure. Still trying to improve there. I'm actually moving a little slower on this one then on the Sherman campaign, long Dr. appointment yesterday and some therapy
milvehfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi, These builds are coming along nicely, wish my progress was as far along,( only have a few hours on Sundays to work on kits). Great work so far ! Keep On Modelin, milvehfan

rtvmodeler
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hello friends!.

Nice works!. This is my big project: PANZER IV AUSF H - TAMIYA, 1/35, With interiors (all) with resin and PE exteriors which includes turret, Fruilmodel tracks, wheels mask, MIG Exhaust pipe, RM Commander, MB Metal wheels, lead wires (2 types), more metal parts of J.Peddinghaus, screwheads /2 types) of Lionmarc and Eduard gun barrel, some of scratch and more things..

Soon the first pics.
Regards,
Rodolfo
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
Wow Rodolfo, you sure you got enough AM's there? What are you using the Tamyia kit for the hull and the turret?
rtvmodeler
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 06:35 PM UTC
For the Hull and Turret I will use Verlinden and engine of TWS.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Ruffus
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
-Hey Sal!! you almost pinch me in the eye with that cannon, be careful
-Jesper, you have made some great advance in your Ostwind, have that kit also, will see how yours turn out, maybe get inspired.
-Rodolfo, realmente me gustaria ver terminado tu "pequeño" proyecto, haz hecho algo asi antes?

Byron
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:39 AM UTC
This will be my contribution to the Campaign.It will be built OOB unless I botch the Magic Tracks and have to get Friuls.I have used Magic Tracks once on a T-34,but these are much smaller so we will see.I am going to build a whitewashed version,attempting the hairspray method.It might be a little while before I get started,must finish a P-51 for another campaign.

rtvmodeler
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

-... -Rodolfo, realmente me gustaria ver terminado tu "pequeño" proyecto, haz hecho algo asi antes?
Byron

Thanks for your comment friend!. Si, ya habìa hecho algo parecido en el 2003, ahora quiero profundizar màs. Aqui està ese trabajo por si quieres verlo: Panther Luego modifiquè la visiòn nocturna.

Regards!
Rodolfo
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Lots of great progress here
I sprayed the jagdpanzer with some green and then added some brown. This is the 1st time I am attempting to do camo with the airbrush and no masking
Photobucket
I thought it was a little to brown So I went and added some more green to the top and front. So that is out there drying. But thought I would show you what I came up with to paint all those wheels
Photobucket
Comments and suggestions are always welcome
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
Looks good Sal,for freehand camo,I turn the PSI way down to about 10 and thin the paint out more then normal.
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, at the RAF Cosford show I picked up the Dragon 1/35 Pz.IV Ausf C for the princely sum of £20! Bargain!

Then I remembered this campaign was starting soon.

I am intrueged by a couple of decal options in the box for 21st Panzer Division, in Normandy '44. I would've thought any Ausf C's would be long gone by that point. Does anyone know if they saw combat? Any pics?

Never got an answer to this question, so I'm re-asking it, thx.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi guys,
@Anthony thanks for the tip I was using to much pressure. I'll have to turn it donw on the next go around.
@ Neil This link says that the 21st Panzer Division had 117 Panzer IV's but it dont say which model. But it also says there was 4 Panzer II so I guess anything is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Panzer_Division_%28Germany%29

Hope that helps.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC
Neil,

Adding to what Sal has posted -- I recall reading the 21PD had some short-barreled Pz IVs and they were either Ausf B or C. Here are some threads you may want to dig into:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1221410557/Panzer+IV+Ausf-+B
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1005674097/PzKpfw+IV+C-D+in+Normandy%2C+1944

Cheers,

Tat
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hello Neil,
When the 21st PD was reformed in Rennes in July 15 43, it was first equipped with old French equipment. Within 6 months it was re-equipped with PZ 3 and 4's.
So you could argue that some of the 117 PZ 4's were either b or c models. Remember that most tanks were sent to either the Russian or Italian front to make up the losses, so the PD's over in France were had a very low priority for the newer vehicles.
I would say that this vehicle is allowed. That is my opinion.
HTH,
Cheers,
Bruce
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 02:39 PM UTC
Neil -- did some further digging. Of the 117 Pz IVs assigned to 21. Panzer-Division in June 1944, 21 were of the "kz" type -- meaning short-barreled Pz IVs. Got this from the book Panzertruppen 1943-45 by T.Jentz. The pics from the links posted above also point to either Ausf B or C. I guess this gives further credence to it having been deployed at the time. Cheers and good luck to your build. Tat
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Ok here we have it a OOB Jagdpanzer L/70 of the 116 Panzer Division in France
Photobucket
Photobucket
Couldn't find to may clear photos of this machine so the actual 131 vehicle of the 116 might not have looked like this
Photobucket
I think its finished but before I upload into the campaign gallery I would appreciate some constructive comment as I am always looking to improve and this was my first time doing a camo job with the air brush.
Let me know what ya think.
Ruffus
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
Looks good to me; but be careful, you can pinch someone in the eye with that cannon . regarding the number in the tank, 131 means that this tank is from the first company, third platoon, vehicle number one

I ask this question last week and according to Gerald Owens
The number usually meant first digit, company; second digit, platoon; third digit, individual vehicle. One exception to the three digit rule was the Army's 506th Schwere Panzer Abteilung. On their Tiger I tanks, they used a large number on the gun mantlet sleeve to signify the company, and a two digit number on the gun tube to identify the tank within the company (01-14, skipping the platoon altogether). This meant that the 14th tank of the second company would be 214 when seen from the right side, and 142 when seen from the left (the 2 was much larger than the 14, so it's not as confusing as it sounds). When they switched to King Tigers, they marked the turret sides, and placed the company number left of the turret cross, and the two-digit speed number to the right.
the tank regiment within an armored division sometimes used company numbers 1 through 4 for the first battalion, and 5 through 8 for the second, so Panzer IV's with a high first number were sometimes seen. The final digit was usually no higher than 4 or 5, as that was a standard tank platoon.

Byron
milvehfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC
Sal, I think for a first time airbrush Camo, it turned out Very Nice. A Sharp Looking Vehicle overall. When I get my Panzer IV built and ready for painting it will also be a 1st for me. Hope mine turns out as well as yours. Regards, milvehfan
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
@ Sal, Tat and Bruce - many thanks for all the info!

I'm particularly intrueged by this pic showing a battle damaged B or C as I was thinking of getting the MiG conversion with the burnt out running gear....

I've got a diorama planned as my entry in the Sherman campaign, but that is a much longer campaign, so I guess I should concentrate on the Pz.IV first
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the complements, Ruffus that last photo was for you watch your eyes . Haven't decided what I'm gonna do with this just yet but I have a Normandy MiniArt kit that I may put it on.
@Neil I like the 1 in the front of that photo with the hole in the barrel, that must have been 1 hell of a shot
But what do I do now Next campaign don't start until October Guess I'll go work on the Mini-Art kit. Oh still have the FlackpanzerIV Mobelwagen. Lets see if the Mini -Art kit will hold my attention
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 08:18 PM UTC
Quick and nice entry, Sal. You really made fast progress. I think you might give the mud a few more washes and a little more colour. mIt looks white at the edges, but maybe that is just the lighting in the picture.
Also set the figure to lean a little more forward so his hands touch the top plate of the superstructure.
Otherwise very nice job on the camouflage painting. It is definitely a mean looking panzerjager.

I have also made a little more progress over the weekend. The base colour is on and some mud has been added to suspension. Next is some brush painted hard edged camouflage.

Removed by original poster on 07/19/10 - 17:10:51 (GMT).