Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Sherman Campaign
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Ok guys here is some more progress from yesterday. Added some washes and filters
Photobucket
Photobucket
Now will add some rust and some mud to the treads.
@ Richard If you guys are having the heat up there, 105 here on Long Island yesterday, that we are having here dont over do it with those bails of hay.
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 280 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
Wow some serious speed biulding going on here have a lot to catch up with, this is my project for the campaigne. The Revell Calliope with the Legends sandbag armour added as you can see it will be a slow one for me

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC

@ Richard If you guys are having the heat up there, 105 here on Long Island yesterday, that we are having here dont over do it with those bails of hay. [/quote]

Same heat wave up here ...It was hard to breath way up on top next to the rafters ...We had to rotate people around because of the heat ..We went through 48 bottles of water and funny no one needed a bathroom break!! That was nuts !! No more hay till at least sunday!!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
Forgot to mention the builds !! Opps!
Sal the weather is doing a pretty good job with the color ...Just add a bit of dirt and muck and it'll look great!

Keith...Nice work so far, the sandbag armour looks a bit strange by the fact that it doesn't go all the way to the front or the back of the tank,but I'm not ready to say that it's wrong ..I'm sure there's a picture out there somewhere that looks just like that ...if not it wouldn't be too hard to add a few sandbags from miliput or some other two part putty.. Good job guys ...
Removed by original poster on 07/07/10 - 00:24:15 (GMT).
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 01:26 PM UTC
You all are hotter than us right now!

We cooled off to a balmy 101/102 for the week.

It'll be 110 next week again though........

G
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 01:27 PM UTC
@ Sal - nice progress, as Richard says, a bit of weathering to the tracks and you'll just about be there Make sure you don't make the tracks rusty, make them brownish.

@ Keith - looking good mate ! The wiring to the rocket launchers will be a bit of a challenge I imagine. Looking forward to seeing more

I'm finishing off a LVT-4 for the Pacific campaign, but I have the bogies for the IC Hybrid done and painted. Next will be the hull.

Cheers

Paul
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You all are hotter than us right now! We cooled off to a balmy 101/102 for the week. It'll be 110 next week again though........ G

Ok Guys, you want mud we got mud on the tank but none on the ground hasn't rained in at least 2 weeks here Wife is running up the water bill keeping her flowers watered

@ Wayne last time I was in Vagas back in January it did nothing but rain, and don't you guys have dry heat out there heat is heat to me

Ok here is the mud
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I don't care for the all caked up mud look so I try to keep it on the light side. I think it's done, guys let me know if you think it needs anything else. Otherwise I will be doing research for the Workhorse campaign that starts in 4 days.

What else can I do until then
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Sal...You do know we had a year to do this campaign right!
Looks good I'd add a bit of dirt on top of the bogies ...right now you only got mud on the front but there is usually a little built up under the skid .
Good job...So what panzer IV are you planning to build?
Maybe I can help!
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Sal...You do know we had a year to do this campaign right!
Looks good I'd add a bit of dirt on top of the bogies ...right now you only got mud on the front but there is usually a little built up under the skid .
Good job...So what panzer IV are you planning to build?
Maybe I can help!

Thanks Richard, Yes I know but I'm out sick from work recovering from ankle reconstruction surgery. So I can't do much, can't drive and job makes you stay @ home.
I noticed the same thing about the boogies as I was looking at the photos, I'll take care of that in the morning.
As for the Panzer IV I'm gonna go with Tamiyas Jagdpanzer IV L/70. Again straight OOB build.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 06:15 PM UTC
Hey Sal !

Wow, your Shermie is really coming along.

It definately muddy ! Do you plan on using any pigments on it ?

I think you'll need to be given a gold medal for finishing it so soon !! Oh well, you'll just need to build another 11 or so

Cheers & good work

Paul
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Battlewagon M4A3E8 ETO: Part 2-Upper/Lower Hull Fitting & Assembly

With all the Beer, BBQ and fireworks celebrating the 4th of July, I didn’t get a whole lot done but I did manage to get started.

I started by fitting the upper and lower hulls along with the transmission and rear engine plate. I textured the transmission and the cast area around the driver and co-driver hatches with a small burring bit and dermal tool.

One technique I'll use will be what I call exaggerated details. The idea here is to slightly overstate certain aspects in the hopes of enhancing the appearance, but not to the level of absurdity. For this build that will be the cast texture and weld lines, which will be covered later. Finally I attached the mounting brackets for the HVSS suspension components and a few bolt details.

So off to a good start.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
Sweet Eric !

Keep the posts coming !!

Paul
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi Guys, added more mud today to what was missing to the top of the boogies. Then put a light wash. Didn't have the camera down stairs with me today so no photo update today I should get some in the morning.

Paul, No pigments dont have any don't know what they are or what they do I'm still a new-old be to modeling
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys, added more mud today to what was missing to the top of the boogies. Then put a light wash. Didn't have the camera down stairs with me today so no photo update today I should get some in the morning.

Paul, No pigments dont have any don't know what they are or what they do I'm still a new-old be to modeling

Hey Sal,

Pigments may be something you could look at in the future, they are very efficient in getting your AFV nice and dusty and you can get great effects from them - mud, etc, etc.

NB: They're not absolutely necessary, as washes and Oils can do the job too.

I've been using them for a couple of years now and I love them. You can get all sorts of effects with them, and by mixing pigment colors on the model you can get really interesting results.

Here's a handy example on Video that gives you the idea on how they can be used :

Pigment Application Video

Can't wait to see more of your 'Shermie', it's looking great !!

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
Here's another interesting link Sal :

Using pigments

Cheers

Paul

jdan968
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 07:02 PM UTC
i feeel like I'm being left behind in this campaign already. great work to those who have already posted some pictures, I will hopefully do some work and post some pics on Saturday or Sunday

John
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i feeel like I'm being left behind in this campaign already. great work to those who have already posted some pictures, I will hopefully do some work and post some pics on Saturday or Sunday

John

Cheers John, looking forward to seeing those pics
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hey Guys !

Just a reminder that to complete this Campaign you must post as least one progress picture as well as one of the finished project.

At this stage we have 92 enlisted starters ! It looks like we'll get to a hundred

Good luck with all of your builds, feel free to ask any question of your fellow Campaigners through this thread !

Cheers

Paul
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC
Paul,
Thanks for the links both the video and the article were very informative. I used crushed plaster that i mixed into various browns acrylic paint for the mud and added water to thin it a bit. 1 coat was thicker and lighter in color and the second coat was thinner and darker. I'll bring the camera down with me today and get a few more pics with the added mud and washes. Thanks again,

Sal
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Thanks for the links both the video and the article were very informative. I used crushed plaster that i mixed into various browns acrylic paint for the mud and added water to thin it a bit. 1 coat was thicker and lighter in color and the second coat was thinner and darker. I'll bring the camera down with me today and get a few more pics with the added mud and washes. Thanks again,

Sal

Cheers Sal, my pleasure

Your method is working well, but there are always new techniques we can all use. I'm always looking for something new to try.

The after market pigments come in a lot of different colors and can be applied dry to get a dusty effect - that's what I like about them most !

I hope you're getting better and getting around Ok.

Paul
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi all,
Great work so far to all those who have posted shots of their work, some speed builders indeed. One question I have been kicking around is what color green is "right" for a shermie? I know paints fade and what not, but what are some of the good starting points from the major paint brands?

BTW- I will have some pics of my M4A3 105mm Sherman from Tamiya.

Sean
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Here are the updated photos with the additional mud and washes
Photobucket
Photobucket
Then the camera lens started to fog up from the humidity and I got these cool looking photos
Photobucket
Photobucket
I think it finished now.

Paul thanks for the well wishes and thanks for all the help and running the campaign. It was lots of fun, maybe I'll build another Sherman before it end. I will continue the read the tread and hopefully learn some more from you guys.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Scott - welcome mate. The Composite will be interesting, looking forward to seeing you progress through this one. Will it be OOTB ?

Paul

Thanks for the welcome Paul. The smart kit is pretty impressive straight out of the box, very nice detail so I probably won't add anything other than perhaps some stowage.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
Great work so far to all those who have posted shots of their work, some speed builders indeed. One question I have been kicking around is what color green is "right" for a shermie? I know paints fade and what not, but what are some of the good starting points from the major paint brands?
Sean

Sean,
As you can tell my Shermie is very green But Jeff recommend Tamiya FX-62. a little late for me but other guy it may be in time.