Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Korean War Campaign
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:15 PM UTC
Andrew, I did not know that Testors marketed the M24. How much are they going for?

Bob
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew, I did not know that Testors marketed the M24. How much are they going for?

Bob

It's the reboxed Italeri kit Bob.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
Don't know if Testors still markets them. They are made by Italeri. Italeri makes two kits. The one shown is the post-WW2 version. They later came out with a WW2 version. Not sure what the difference was other than the tracks.
andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC
Bob,
I think this kit is out of production I had gotten this one on ebay. I think Italeri has the WW2 version available.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
Thanks, Paul, Andrew, and Gary for the info. It looks like evil bay is the next stop.

Bob
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:21 PM UTC
Well Guys, I guess the time has arrived for me to get off my duff and decide what I want to build for this campaign. I'll get the required start photos logged in tomorrow or the next day, just started cutting parts off the sprue, and spraying with primer color.
I realize there are much better kits out there, but since no one has yet to name it, I'm going for the old Monogram/Revell F9F-5 Panther. Since I grew up with Monogram kits, I have a true soft spot for them. And now in my old age I'm getting tired of driving myself nuts to build a contest winner too often.

So the decision is made to make an Old Monogram F9F-5 in "Jarhead" colors, not sure yet which unit, I have several sheets.

For what its worth guys, this campaign is already shaping up to be a Great one ! Keep 'em coming, Gang. Semper Fi .....................Bruce
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
Gents,
OK then, below you should see the pre-build shot on the F9F. It really looks like a fun build, as long as I don't get too carried away with it. Enjoy........Bruce

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
Wow, it's great to see this kind of progress already! Will have to postpone my build for a little bit, but man am I looking forward to it!
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC
A few quiet hours over the Christmas break helped to get the M37 HMC started.
Firstly the before picture, a "Give an old kit a home for Charity" Italerai M24

Then the paint stripped, holes filled and cut-away top hull

The new rear hull and front plates which will give the slight lip with the front glacis and fill some holes

And finally some of the extra bits I think I may need.

regards
Paddy
Removed by original poster on 01/03/11 - 21:34:57 (GMT).
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:57 PM UTC
Paddy I'm loving that "recycled" model!

Well I too had a few days to do nothing but build.

Here's the kit and accessories.

I chose to start from the top down.

Checking references allowed me to detail the crane mounts.

I know I have the PE but two small chains were easy to do with copper wire.

Thats all for now.

G
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:14 PM UTC
Wayne, your builds are always awesome looking forward to seeing it completed.

@Bob, looks like we are going with the same kit except this is what mine looked like this morning, but it is closer to the bench
Photobucket
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
@ Wayne: nice looking kit you have there cant wait to see it finished.

@ Sal: I orignially purchased the M41 beacause of the price without knowing how easy a build it is. How is your coming along so far?

Bob
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 04:05 PM UTC
I started the M-41 years ago, I think I got the view ports opened up and filled with clear sprue and the rear sponsons boxed in. I had to move in it went back into the box. Good luck your yours....
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sal: I originally purchased the M41 because of the price without knowing how easy a build it is. How is your coming along so far?

Bob

Bob,

Same reasons here i think it was $7.00 and that picture was taken this morning, Eastern time of course, and it made its way down to my workbench and thats about it. It still looks like the photo. Still working on my Tiger and KV
tommyboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
Hi
Count me in my Dad was a gunner on a usmc tank at the frozen chosin they didnt have tiger faces tho C company 1st tank 1st Marine division I got alot pics he took over there would make some cool dio"s
Thanks Tommyboy
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
Tom, I am sure that everyone would love to see any photos that you post. My dad was an AP at one of the airbases but, I do not know which.

Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:40 PM UTC
@ Mark: how did you attach the clear plastic to the veiwting ports, I have been thinking of using floppies but I cannot find any.

@ Sal: you are a glutten for punishment also I have the M41, KVII, 7TP, Valentine IV, M4A2, and a P-47 on the work bench at the moment. Boy am I sick, but hey it is my second childhood

Bob
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 07:23 PM UTC
It was about 7 years ago, best I can remember now is that I used a pin vise to open up the 'ports' and then cleaned them up with mini files. The windows were clear plastic rod sanded and filed to shape. If I can dredge up the box, I'll try to send photos.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 01:13 AM UTC
Great start on this campaign and a nice mix of subjects so far! Let’s hope the MSW and HFM people will join the fun soon!

Bob: Great start on the M41! What changes are you planning to get it to the version used in Korea?

Ian: Looks like quite a project there. The M39 is certainly a little known and interesting vehicle.

Paul: Go ahead and build a wingy thing, we can always use more air support!

Andrew: We can never have enough M24s! That’s the older kit with the late T85E1 tracks that were never used by US forces (at least not in action). I think they were used only in military assistance programs. The later issue from Italeri had the early tracks and a few additional parts. Here’s a short overview on PMMS for those interested.
Just in case you want to get the right T72E1 tracks. There are replacements by Trumpeter and Friul (and probably others). My Korean War M24 has the “wrong” tracks on too…

Bruce: Great start on the F9F. I really like the look of those early jets.

mecanix: Looks like quite an involved project! Knowing your skills I’m sure looking forward to it! .

Wayne: I remember building this kit, add glue and shake… Typical Tamiya. Great kit! Be sure to sign up for the campaign (click on my banner and then enlist).

Sal: Looks like we’ll have to get Bruce to post those pics of the Korean War M41s so you guys ca get a start on them!

Tom: Great to have you on board! Please tell us more about your father’s experiences!

AFAIK, Tiger faces were only added during/for Operation Ripper in February 1951 and then faded as time went on. I’m not sure any were painted on Marine tanks.

Keep them coming everyone!
Stefan
andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
Stefan,

I was aware of the T85E1 tracks and found a photo of these tracks on a M24 in Korea. M24 Chaffe in action Squadron Signal Number 25.
Will this be ok ?

tommyboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hi Stefan
He was on a M-46, C-14 he didnt really talk about it alout only when he had alittle to much to drink,But I have all his pictures really some cool ones inside and out and around the tank He passed away 12/31/01 gone but certainly not forgoten if I can get my scanner up and running I could send you a few
Thanks Tommyboy
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 03:53 PM UTC
Well, I guess I'm officially started. As old as this kit is it was still in the bag.

I'd prefer to build it as the -2P, it's going to be a challenge. It comes with a -2P nose. But, the windows are molded solid and the kit decals are for a fighter version, no photo bird decals.
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 04:35 PM UTC
All right, Mark...
A fellow "Wing Wiper" has joined in the fray ! So have you figured out which markings you will use on the "Banjo" ? For my Panther I'm leaning towards VMF-323, but there is still quite a while to go before I have to commit. But there is no doubt it will be in the Corps colors.

Looking forward to watching your build. Take it easy, Bruce

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC
Awesome! I was always under the impression that the MPC kits went together well