_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iraqi T55 Wreck
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi all it's me again with another destroyed T55. This time I am using the Tamiya kit instead of the old ESCI kit. My knowledge and references on this tank are limited to what I can find on the web so if there are inaccuracies in the build, go easy on me

I decided I was going to finally try and model a tank after a pic, which I don't like to do due to a lack of photo references. Normally one or maybe a couple of pic of a certain tank is available which makes it hard to model areas that can't be seen in the limited pics.
I did manage to find three pics of a destroyed T55 and this is the tank I am building.

**********FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY***********

Besides the Tamiya kit I also have the CMK interior and motor compartment, and JR barrel.

Firts thing I did was start on the fun part, destroying the turret and gun. The following pics show the progress made so far.

More pics and an up date coming soon. I have done a bit more to the turret than is in the pic, but have to wait til the parts/glue dries before I take some new pics.

All comments and helpful tips are very much appreciated.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:04 PM UTC
A couple of updated pics here. Some details added to the turret interior including the gaping hole in the roof.

That's it for today. Next up some hull work.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Looking great so far Rob. The turret destruction looks really good and I cant wait to see it progress, certainly is one smashed up tank!
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC
Rob, Great work as usual but I think that pic is of a T-69II, if you look at hte rear end you can see the tubbed rear end like the rear of a T-62 and the commanders cupola periscope is different. Not a big deal...... your work is always inspirational. Im trying some of your techniques on the new Tamiya ISU and its turning out pretty boss.

Chris
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
I love your work Rob
Outstanding imagination.
I want more of the pics

Cheers
Seb
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:05 AM UTC
Rob, Chris and Seb thanks for looking and the comments.

Chris you are correct about the tank not being a T55, that was one of the things I did notice, but like I said I'm not that familiar with all the variants,yet. I figured it was a 67 or 69, and since there isn't a decent kit out of these I would do it as a T55, but I'm debating on adding the bulge to the lower rear plate. What do you think!!
I would love to see some pics of the ISU you working on. Glad my web site has been useful/helpful to you.

I hope to get some more work done on this model today and will post an update of the progress.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC
Rob, I would just leave it as is..... the Type 69II has alot of differences from the T-55 other than the tubbed rear end... headlights, ventilator, engine deck, etc.... I'm anxious to see you start the color modulation process.

Im horrible about posting pix.... crappy camera and even WORSE computer skills. Guess I'll have to stick to being a lurker....

Chris
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
I enjoy watching your work progress Rob, I am sure this one will be the same.
spiritwalker
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Rob

I am sure if you search the forums there is a decent kit out of the type 69.. I made the masters for it...its available through Airedale castings in the UK. Although from the pic you wouldnt use many parts..

Andy
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rob

I am sure if you search the forums there is a decent kit out of the type 69.. I made the masters for it...its available through Airedale castings in the UK. Although from the pic you wouldnt use many parts..

Andy

Considering the state of the tank being modelled it seems like a big waste of money to buy the T-69II conversion, im sure most of the changes could be made from scratch. By the way I have the T-69II conversion and its a real beauty, but I wouldnt wont to use it on a smashed up wreck.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 07:05 AM UTC
Darren thanks and nice to have you following along on yet another wreck.

Rob and Andy..thanks for the info, I will start searching and see what I come up with. A conversion set would be too much for this wreck. The CMK sets I have will be partially used here and the rest on another build. I mainly am using parts as reference since it's easier to destroy plastic apposed to the resin. I'm trying to figure out the motor comp which will be scratch built. I am also using your (Andy) awesome T55 builds as reference and inspiration.

Thanks again for the tips, helps a lot and I have learned a thing or two.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
Great to see another project form you Rob, your work is always very inspirational.

You really should do a book on wrecking and rusting tanks!

Will you be including any cooked left over shells? Hussar do some great 120mm metal shells, I used them on my T-55. They are available from air connections in Canada I think.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
looks very promising, will follow this one

spiritwalker
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 09:58 AM UTC
[quote]Will you be including any cooked left over shells? Hussar do some great 120mm metal shells, I used them on my T-55. They are available from air connections in Canada I think.

The T-55 and type 69 used a 100mm round.

Not sure if anyone does them...maybe Miniart

Andy
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
Thanks Jon and Matam. A book you say , well maybe someday

Andy is right about the ammo, 100 mm. I did plan on placing some rounds near the tank, similar to the ref pic. I'll check and see if miniart has them.

Before I start my T62 wreck I'll be sure to do more research first. No bench time today though I was hoping to get a couple of hours in. At least I spent time planning the build in my head.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:25 PM UTC

Andy[/quote]

Armo makes a wonderful set of assorted brass rounds for the T55 that include a couple empties..... I think I paid about $8 for them at Jadar, very nice
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:46 PM UTC
Thanks Chris, I'll check into, and that price is not bad at all.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
SteveReid
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rob,
I am sure if you search the forums there is a decent kit out of the type 69.. I made the masters for it...its available through Airedale castings in the UK. Although from the pic you wouldnt use many parts.
Andy

Hey Andy!

Don't be so modest

http://www.airedalecastings.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page2.html

Kit looks gorgeous! But you are right- not much left in Robs project.

Nice to see all that work come to market! It is fantastic.

Steve
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 08:23 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Will you be including any cooked left over shells? Hussar do some great 120mm metal shells, I used them on my T-55. They are available from air connections in Canada I think.

Andy

My mistake your right it's 100mm and yes Hussar sell these in turned metal, I've used them in the past and they are great quality.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC
Sounds like there are a couple of sources for the ammo, perfect.

Ok the conversion to a T69II sounds easy enough, and I'll work on the rear plate/hull bulge today. I will have to change the title of this build to An Iraqi T69II wreck.
Next round of pics will be of the modification of the bulge.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
spiritwalker
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Rob

May have a spare rear plate bulge..?.. Dont forget to add the turret ventilator and change the commanders comb, they didnt have the ones with extra protection.

Andy
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thanks Andy. I haven't started on the rear bulge yet. Been searching for ref pics of that area first. Q. What's the diff. between the T67 and the T69?? Is the T67 the Chinese version of the T62 !!
I had a feeling I should have waited before gluing the the commanders comm. No problem, I'll remove it and install a correct one.
This being a T69II explains the welds on the side of the turret, and I guess the lack of grab handles. Unless they were removed.
Looks like I'm going to be building a few of these tanks, easy to get hooked especially with the Tamiya T55 and now the T62's from Trmpeter.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC
Rob,
There is no Type 67. The Type 59, 69, and 79 are all basically T54/55s with the later types (Type 80 and beyond) are a departure from that design to include modern FCS, engines, suspension, composite armor etc....

The PLA expoerted A TON of Type 59 and 69 (Especially in the middle east and Africa) The Iraqis still have alot of the Type 69 IIs with and without the cage bar armor on the turret. The Type 69II in the picture has the mounts but no bars and Type 69IIs had the rifled 100mm gun, the 69 had the smoothbore gun. As Andy noted the Chinese tanks had different cupolas and IR lights.

AEF designs (cover!) did a conversion for the Tamiya kit but its horrible.

Chris
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info Chris. I thought Trumpeter had a kit of a T67, guess I was wrong. Like I said I have very little knowledge when it comes to the Soviet tanks, but I'm learning a lot thanks to you guys.

Ok while searching for some ref pics I came across a T69II that I have also wanted to build for a while now. I mainly had two pics of the tank, but this morning found over a dozen pics a walk around and some interior pics. This is my next wreck, and boy I can't wait.

Lots of fun building and especially painting the model

Rob
www.scratchmod.com
spiritwalker
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Rob

Another note, the type 69`s had the turret top ventilator as well as the vent slot at the lower edge of the turret as T-55.. Want any pics feel free to mail me..

Andy
 _GOTOTOP