Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Braille Battlefield
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
I have decided to join in the fray with two kits started quite a while back. Here are pictures of how they are now.

Airfix 1/76 Anti-Aircraft Battery

Matchbox 1/76 FT17/Char B1

I wasn't planning on using the base for this kit.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC
@ Jan: there is a lot of swearing going on with that build. Did they come with the kit or were they crafted by yourself Nice looking Stug inspite of those heated jabs.

@ Gary: How was FT 17 to build as apposed to the RPM?

Bob
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:33 AM UTC
The sheer amount of work everyone here has put in is amazing, great to see the braille scene so vibrant.

For my part the Bren Carrier and 6pdr arrived thru the snow and I've got cracking on getting the tracks and dimensions done.

Looks feasible now so just the axles to put on, shortened driveshaft, fuel tanks and that is the chassis built.

Gotta think about the cab next.

Put some of the figs in to get the imagination going, and positioning in "touring" and "fighting" trim. (Although the gun could be fired forward facing)

Bren Bedford Portee 1/76 Airfix

That's it from me for now, keep up the great builds people.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Gary: How was FT 17 to build as apposed to the RPM?

I never built the RPM kit. From what I've seen here, the RPM is probably more detailed. Each suspension of the Matchbox kit is 6 pieces: Front idler with return rollers, left and right frame with road wheels, drive sprocket, left and right idler brackets. The driver's visors and hatches are all one piece.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC
Jan

Could you please add the UM BA-6 to my entry list?

Pics soon, but I am half way through construction currently. Fiddly little beast but looks good. I posted an in- progress pic a while back.

Thanks!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:06 PM UTC
Man, this thread just keeps on moving! This is great stuff guys!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HOLY MOLY, have you got it right, Jeremy!!!! I go away for a week and there are like 150+ new postings and now three people are finished! I wish that I could comment on all the great stuff but its nearly impossible. My M1 has sat lonely this entire time and I really need to get back in gear. Jan, that's a nice little web site that you put up for this campaign and the chart keeps on getting bigger and more colorful. Superb job everyone, the pressure is on.

Regards,
AJ
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Disaster!!!! I've lost part 63 the rear turret basket for the turret!!!!
so it's been shelved until it turns up or I can find a replacement.

spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James,

Fortunatley for you I have one spare and will bring it to the club on Saturday.

All the best,

Paul
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi James,

Fortunatley for you I have one spare and will bring it to the club on Saturday.

All the best,

Paul

Paul thankyou so much!

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
@GaryKato - Welcome and I am glad you decided to join us and complete those builds. Santa just left me the Airfix Bofors and from what I see it's one of their nicer kits.

The primary goal of this campaign is focused on ground based systems (vehicles, guns, etc), There is a rule that pertains to a kit and as such a kit with multiple vehicles/equipment has been deemed a single kit for campaign purposes. This issue was brought up earlier in this thread and a general consensus was reached. There is also no stipulation that All kit parts be used. As with all situations there may arise exceptions. In jaypee's case he is building the RAF Refuelling Set but because he is using a second new kit and extensive scratch building to heavily modify one vehicle, it was decided that his endeavour will count as two kits. Based on the previously stated points I will rule in your particular case that the bases are not required but optional. So basically bases or not will be left to a builders choice.

@Bigrip - The skirts are the kit supplied parts. The edges are nicely thin but there was a seem that bevelled down from the average thickness and was also very visible. I considered scratching new ones from thinner plastic but they would have required an exorbitant effort to scratch out an attachment frame that for the most part would be barely visible. My solution was to reduce the overall thickness of the kit skirts to an extreme.

@jaypee - the portee is really looking good! From seeing the mock-up I can relate to your earlier statements about its potential mobility.

@sabredog - Chart in this thread has been duly amended.

@vonHengest & weathering_one - You two aren't kidding!! I almost dread each day opening my mail programme to see all the awaiting notifications of posts here. I have only the Matchbox Campaign as a yardstick to have guaged and anticipated the situation. After only two months in we are "blowing the doors" off that campaign as far as activity goes.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HOLY MOLY, have you got it right, Jeremy!!!! I go away for a week and there are like 150+ new postings and now three people are finished! I wish that I could comment on all the great stuff but its nearly impossible. My M1 has sat lonely this entire time and I really need to get back in gear. Jan, that's a nice little web site that you put up for this campaign and the chart keeps on getting bigger and more colorful. Superb job everyone, the pressure is on.

Regards,
AJ

It's crazy AJ!! I got to bust into my Dragon Elefant since it's been either to wet or to dark outside to paint my other projects, and it's quite the nice little kit! Just wish they included a little more in the PE fret as the molded on hooks and other little things look pretty blobish, and the fenders could stand a good thinning out. But the fit is real nice and overall so is the detail.

I'm trying to figure out how to replicate zimm. I'm thinking that I should just use an x-acto blade and scribe it into the hull?
I'm also trying to figure out what to use for an antennae in this scale...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@vonHengest & weathering_one - You two aren't kidding!! I almost dread each day opening my mail programme to see all the awaiting notifications of posts here. I have only the Matchbox Campaign as a yardstick to have guaged and anticipated the situation. After only two months in we are "blowing the doors" off that campaign as far as activity goes.

Cheers,
Jan

Don't dread it, EMBRACE IT MAN!! This is one sweet campaign, and I think I'm getting addicted to braille (just don't tell anyone )
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Jan

Don't dread it, EMBRACE IT MAN!! This is one sweet campaign, and I think I'm getting addicted to braille (just don't tell anyone )

Jeremy, I won't tell if you don't! It has more to offer than it ever previously did and keeps getting better. Every time I open a newer kit it still astounds me what they are adding.

As for antenna material. I've used stretched DS plastic sprue in the past and recently the fine bristle from an "Oscar" anti-static dust broom. they both are flexible but resilient and pretty much bounce back after being bent. Granted, even with them there is a point when they can get damaged if bent to an extreme.

As for fenders, I recall someone building a 1/72 Ferdinand here on Armorama. Found it at:

Soda Can Fenders

For Zimmerit, you could try rolling out thin strips of Milliput. I used a very fine jewellers screwdriver to make the texture. Another person used a small screw with fine threads to get the indents.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
Jan: It's awesome how much these kits are improving, I don't know why they aren't taking off in North America like they have in other parts of the world. I'm guessing the size is probably the big issues for most.

I like the choice of antennae materials, I'll look into the dust broom as I don't have much in the way of DS sprue.

Which version of Milliput would you recommend? I have some of the white box/black label.

And thanks for the link! I thought I remembered that build, but couldn't find it..
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:03 PM UTC
Jeremy, the Milliput I use is the white box with red lettering. It has ""Standard Yellow-Grey" printed below the name .

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 04:49 PM UTC
Right on Jan, I'll pick some up if I get a chance to run errands tomorrow
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hi all. So many great builds going on here!
Have been dropping in have a look but it's hard to keep up!
I'am still deciding on a 3rd build,just need to catch up on another couple of campaigns first.
Keep up the great work everyone.
Cheers,
Tim
Rob_Haelterman
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:05 PM UTC
Just to keep the thread going. Another that I could have entered in the "to finish" category.
:)

Italeri Kübel with FBMinis conversion to turn it into a draisine.
Nice conversion set.
Cheers
Rob

naimbrain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 12:04 AM UTC
Jeremy

Quoted Text

I'm also trying to figure out what to use for an antennae in this scale...

Here's a slightly bizarre suggestion...

My pet cat occasionally sheds whiskers, which I keep an eye out for (the one time when the ever-hungry carpet monster helps), and put in the spares box. They're incredibly strong, they have a subtle taper, and they take paint just fine. They're not completely straight, but it's not a problem for shortish antennae or tied down whip antennae. I'm guessing SWMBO's hair straighteners could solve the problem if you need longer straight antennae.

A quick heads-up for any UK members that might be hankering after the Revell Faun SLT50 Elefant tank transporter that I'm (so-o-o-o slowly) working on for this campaign. It's currently available online from Modelzone for just £9.99
(http://www.modelzone.co.uk/special-offers/tank-transporter-slt503-elefant-saanh-52t.html)
Go on... you know you want it!!

Does anyone know if the SLT50/SaAnh. 52t combination can carry a PzH 2000? I'm building both, with the intention of displaying them together, but the only photos I've seen of the PzH 2000 in transit are on what appears to be an SLT56 with 24 wheel trailer. I'm guessing if anything is going to be too heavy for the 16 wheel trailer it'll be the PzH 2000. It's too late to re-think it now (modding the SLT50 to an SLT56 would be a job for someone with a lot more time and patience than I have!), so I'll probably display as is, and ignore the innacurracy.

Cheers and Happy New Year
John
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 12:14 AM UTC
Turn your back for a few minutes and these posts multiply at an alarming rate! I have lost track, so well done to everyone who is posting at the moment - this is a great campaign and so much inspiration in one place must be a good thing.

I have managed to varnish my Wespe, just the weathering and basing left to do, I am fully occupied at the moment with the Workhorse campaign so I haven't been able to forge ahead as much as I would have liked. Anyway this is the story so far:

That's it folks, keep up the good work, all the best,

Paul
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
lovely Wespe Paul did you get my PM?

spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi James,

Briefly. Yes and I knew you meant that. No worries my friend.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
@Firefly74 - Hard to keep up! Yes, well welcome to my world. Just think that it has only been a couple of months since we started and we are already surpassing number of pages and view counts of campaigns that have been going on for half a year! By my calculations we are close to adding another page shortly. We are still in the first half of this exercise so don't feel too rushed for another build. I too am involved in a couple of other campaigns so I have to spread myself around.

@Rb_Haelterman - thanks for keeping the interest flowing. I particularly like the windows on the Kubel.

@spacewolfdad - Very nice looking Wespe and the helmet on the side of the fighting compartment is a great touch.

@naimbrain - John, from my understanding (from having worked in heavy industry) is that maximum weights are a maximum suggested weight for the sake of safety and reliability. In reality the "capacity" of a piece of equipment usually exceeds the listed rated amount. That beside the point, the 16 wheel trailer is rated at 52 tons while the combat loaded PzH is 55 tons. Take away the on board ammunition and the projectiles (60 rds X 50 kg) alone would lighten the vehicle by three tons. Note, that is just the projectiles and not the powder charges.

So in keeping with Rob's initiative I might as well post a picture of something else that is distracting me. It is relevant in the sense that it is an assault gun, is a 1/72 ESCI origin kit and what it did to it could still occur with the StuH.

Since the hatches on the above build will be positioned open, I felt a suggestive or rudimentary interior was required. The StuH will have the commanders hatch open but at this point I envision the commander in it. If not I will have to create something appropriate for it also.

Cheers,
Jan

PS - The Excel "Helping Hands" were a gift from Santa(SWMBO).
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James,

Briefly. Yes and I knew you meant that. No worries my friend.

Great thank you so much!

Jan nice distraction what have you used for the Red primer?

Jaymes