Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Braille Battlefield
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Made up my mind, I'm gonna finish this one:

Made a start with it when I bought it a couple of years ago, but the resin and photo etched parts scared me a bit back then. Didn't, and still don't, have a lot of experience with that stuff

Makes you wonder why I ever bought this kit in the first place...

Because it kicks friggin butt!!

Matthew: I encourage you to finish all three, they are all very interesting looking little kits, and that Bedford is just so weird it would be a shame not to add it to the campaign.
Krowa_
Visit this Community
Województwo Gdanskie, Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi,

I have just enlisted
Before I choose a kit, just one question: Is what-if model OK for this campaing?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
@ Maurice The Achilles looks extremely interesting and is exactly the type of unfinished project that was meant for this campaign. Since you still have some time before the campaign begins you can at least think or plan about how you might tackle the kit after the start date. As far as a second simple kit goes, check your stash and see what has been gathering dust.

@Matthew Those first two kit pictures look like what the doctor ordered. This campaign is the perfect venue to do them justice. Your third option is positively phenomenal! I have a Bedford from the RAF Refuelling Set that is about 70% complete so the subject has some personal appeal.

On a similar note, I tried my hand in the mid 90's at building a section of Bren Carriers. I based all the measurements on the 1/76 Airfix one and then went at it. I cut up enough pieces to build three but only completed one.

My skills at the time were nowhere near where they are since returning to the hobby. The result was hardly the most detailed but I thought that there weren't too bad at the time. As you can see, I still have a set of the tracks from the incomplete second carrier.

@Marek The rules do not specifically disallow a "what-if" so I am open minded about the subject. At this point I would prefer something that was historically feasible if not actual. Let us know what you have in mind and then a decision can be made. Perhaps something like...

Cheers,
Jan
Krowa_
Visit this Community
Województwo Gdanskie, Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At this point I would prefer something that was historically feasible if not actual. Let us know what you have in mind and then a decision can be made.
Cheers,
Jan

After a short consideration, I will just built a russian Zil-131 (ICM kit)

eremzet
Visit this Community
Katowice, Poland
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here in Armorama site. I'm a braille scale maniac so the first thing I did here was to enlisted to this campaign I start with this project:

This is Infantry Tank Mk. III Valentine Mk.II from Italeri in 1:72 scale. It will be finished as training machine from 2nd Polish Corps in Palestine, mid 1943.

It's already started but for sure this is not my only one model witihn this campaign.

Cheers!
Radek
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 04:04 AM UTC
Witamy Radek.

Thanks you for joining and posting the pictures. The Italeri Valentine looks like a pretty decent model and I see that you have been enhancing it nicely. It is always pleasant to interact with another Braille maniac . As you are new to Armorama and campaigns, please feel free to ask any questions that you have. As the saying goes, the only silly question is the one not asked.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks you for joining and posting the pictures.

. . . and some people have been on here for years and still not figured out how to post photos!

I am also liking the detailing plus the unusual finish you are intending to do - I didn't even know that this happened.

Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hat Jan would a little bit of scratch build work be allowed? I am having an idea?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hat Jan would a little bit of scratch build work be allowed? I am having an idea?

Scott, what exactly do you have in mind? A "what if" or one of your famous "I'll make a Hummer out of spare parts" type builds. I see no problem in enhancing anything for this campaign. If anyone wants to flood a Matchbox kit with home made PE, I have no objections. Our main purpose is to stir up interest in the 1/72 and smaller scales.

While not specified in the rules, a substantial "conversion" of a more or less complete kit might also be all right.

Cheers,
Jan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Scott, what exactly do you have in mind? A "what if" or one of your famous "I'll make a Hummer out of spare parts" type builds. I see no problem in enhancing anything for this campaign. If anyone wants to flood a Matchbox kit with home made PE, I have no objections. Our main purpose is to stir up interest in the 1/72 and smaller scales.

While not specified in the rules, a substantial "conversion" of a more or less complete kit might also be all right.

Cheers,
Jan

Nope it is a real vehicle! I think I have the spare parts to make it work but you will just have to wait and see what it is .
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
Well Scot, fine, be like that! If your build is a combination of unused parts and the rest scratch built, I'll consider it as equal to a single unbuilt kit. However, I'll need more details before I pronounce judgement.

Cheers,
Jan
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi,
I am returning to my "roots", , and will be building an Airfix WW1 tank OOB,
I will be correcting some of the faults that are known and if I can I would like to go for 2 builds and do both Male and Female versions.
Paul
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 05:54 PM UTC
I'm thinking I'll roll with either the Trumpeter Ferdinand or Elefant. May build a few kits for this campaign if I can get my fingers to cooperate with the ultra tiny parts.
eremzet
Visit this Community
Katowice, Poland
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks you for joining and posting the pictures.

. . . and some people have been on here for years and still not figured out how to post photos!

I am also liking the detailing plus the unusual finish you are intending to do - I didn't even know that this happened.

2nd Polish Corps commanded by gen. Anders was a Polish military unit which has been formed in USSR from Polish soldiers prisoned by soviets after soviet invasion on Sept. 17th, 1939. They have been transfered into the Soviet Union, organized and equipped (mostly with Land Lease stuff) after Polish-Soviet agreement. Than soldiers and civilians who accompanied them, left USSR and travelled to Iran and later on to Palestine. They were trained and equipped by British army and sent to Africa (Egypt). Soldiers of 2nd Polish Corps fougth in Tobruk, Monte Cassino, Bologna...

EDIT: Valentine Mk. II was the oldest type of tank used for trainings. It never has been used in combat by Polish troops in Africa. Unfortunatelly there is only few photos of this tank in 2nd Polish Corps and they are very bad quality. Because of that tank number will be fictional - I don't have any photo good enough to read the number.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Scot, fine, be like that! If your build is a combination of unused parts and the rest scratch built, I'll consider it as equal to a single unbuilt kit. However, I'll need more details before I pronounce judgement.

Cheers,
Jan

This is what I am thinking Jan, This is just a prototype tho.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC
@trooper82 - Welcome Paul and how is an OOB build an OOB build when you are correcting (modifying) inaccuracies? Building the two Airfix WWI tanks sounds excellent and just to be clear, in most campaigns multiple builds are allowed and even encouraged. If you aren't already aware of it, the co-leader of this campaign is currently building the Airfix Male. You can find his blog HERE.

@vonHengest - Well, there you have it Jeremy, a Ferdinand AND an Elefant. That would prove interesting. Between Paul and your comments it makes me think of a future campaign dealing with building pairs of a vehicle with each a different version. Of course it would probably be Braille scale.

@Radek - If the Polish troops were trained and equipped by the British then it would stand to reason that they would carry standard British unit markings. According to the book "Tanks and Other Fighting Vehicles of World War II" by B.T. White, all Commonwealth and units associated with the British carried the same markings for the most part. I have the book but the section on unit markings is quite large. I found an interesting article on British associated unit markings on the Internet that included mention of the Polish armoured units in Italy. It might help and you can find it HERE.

@Sudzonic - A prototype, Scott??? Looks like an M1 with a spotting .50 cal over the barrel (Israeli style) and a shielded MG. Can't seem to recall seeing any pictures of something like that.

Cheers,
Jan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC
Gonna do a M1A2 TUSK what you see there is just a prof of concept the one i build will be better hopefully? and based on a dragon M1A2.

[urhttp://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?138992-M1A1-pictures-of-Iraq/page3l][/url]
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
Scott, I am not overly familiar with the variations in the M1. I believe that someone in this campaign is building an Abrams at the moment (Jeff, aka majjanelson) that he started quite some time ago. He's using the Revell kit but I'd bet the Dragon one will be quite something.

Cheers,
Jan
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
Scott & Jan,

Actually, I started with the DML M1A1 with TWMP (USMC) kit, but since I was irritated with the compramises made for motorizing it, molded on armored skirts, and that it wasn't same scale as the Revell M1A1 I planned to put it with on a little dio, I changed to converting an ESCI M1 to M1A1 standard.
I had progressed to almost ready for paint on the DML M1A1, and I had installed PE sets from Eduard and PART along with the Revell Commander's Weapon Station/hatch. The Resign Turret Storage Bin is from CMK, and the front fenders I made from aluminum foil:

trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
Thanks for that Jan, .Being new to these campaign thingies I take it my corrections will be allowed then, under rule 4
Ive been following the Mk1 male build and that gave me the incentive to try the small scale again.
Paul
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 01:14 PM UTC
Paul, you are correct about rule #4 and it is a pleasure to have someone actually read them. With campaigns there is primarilly only a couple of things to know. Basically, ask questions, offer suggestions, learn and most important, have fun.

I am glad that you have found Matthews' male build interesting and inspirational. Campaigns are meant to educate, interact and share experiences. There is and should be no hidden agendas.

Cheers,
Jan
eremzet
Visit this Community
Katowice, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Radek - If the Polish troops were trained and equipped by the British then it would stand to reason that they would carry standard British unit markings. According to the book "Tanks and Other Fighting Vehicles of World War II" by B.T. White, all Commonwealth and units associated with the British carried the same markings for the most part. I have the book but the section on unit markings is quite large. I found an interesting article on British associated unit markings on the Internet that included mention of the Polish armoured units in Italy. It might help and you can find it HERE.

Hi Jan!

Thanks a lot for your link. Nice site! The general scheme of markings on Polish tanks within the British forces are the same as the British ones with few exeptions (PL sign, names of the tanks, badges of Polish units), and painted in usual places. Problem is that the markings of tanks I have are completly unreadable. I don't know the register number of the tank but I can see it is on the front plate. Thus I will make a fictional numbers... I have no other choice.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 12:16 AM UTC
Enlisted...Room for a small one?
I will finish the Diamond T tank transporter for starts

Then I'll see afterwards what to finish next

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 05:43 PM UTC
Jan: Alright then, just need to grab some extra goodies when I get back and I'll be ready to roll

Jeff: That looks very impressive mate, not sure I would want to tackle all of that PE in braille!

Jaymes: That is going to make a sweet build, very much looking forward to seeing this one completed
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
@newfish - Welcome Jaymes and I truly wondered what became of that Diamond T. IIRC, there should be at least one more floating out there from the Matchbox campaign that needs completing.

@vonHengest - At this point there is absolutely no rush, Jeremy. There are still six weeks or so to go.

As there appears to be a new trend in campaigns, I think that we might require, at a minimal, at least one "in progress" picture. I would also like to make it clear to all participants that you are strongly encouraged to post as many comments and pictures as you can once the campaign begins. You can never tell when a tip or trick you might have will aid someone else.

Cheers,
Jan

EDIT; THe enlistment chart on page #4 has been updated to reflect the new members that have joined.