Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Braille Battlefield
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC
Jan: Very true, I just need to make sure not to forget

I'm fine with posting in progress pictures and comments and such, I think it adds a lot to the campaigns. Just so long as it doesn't go overboard like the Sherman campaign, that one moves so fast I think a lot of people's posts get passed over and information lost.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
Jeremy, to many fast and furious posts in a campaign can lead to gems being missed. It can also lead to the campaign leader losing awareness of the situation. I employed spreadsheets during my first campaign and have every intention of doing so for this one.

I've been involved in some campaigns where the leader has lost track of, in one case 8 people, who completed the campaign requirements but failed to receive a ribbon. It is with a certain embarrassment that I must admit that I was a couple of weeks late in awarding one ribbon in the Matchbox campaign. This despite checking and rechecking half a dozen times. With this campaign we will also be fortunate enough to have firstcircle (Matthew) as an XO. He and others who have enlisted in this campaign were extremely helpful in the previous campaign and I am sure will keep me on my toes.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
Wow, that sounds pretty crazy Jan! I like the use of checklists for the reasons you have mentioned. It's reassuring to see that my progress regarding requirements is being tracked for just such reasons. I'm looking forward to getting into campaigns from the beginning, rather than just catching them at the end. Sounds like a good plan to have Matthew as an XO as well.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what kinds of upgrades I should be looking for besides metal barrels and tow cables?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At this point there is absolutely no rush, Jeremy. There are still six weeks or so to go.

. . . 6 weeks . . . . wonder if I can finish the Mark I in that time? I kind of promised myself I would. . . no pressure . .
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Jeremy, it's all about catering to your desires, what you feel is your minimal requirement and in the end, having fun.

A metal barrel and appropriate tow cable are beyond where I might go. I am primarily a scratch building cheapskate so I look for the cheap way out. However, you may consider a touch of individual external storage ( tarps, personal equipment, packs/boxes and the like) to add unique character to your build.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC
@Matthew - I have the greatest faith in you. In six weeks you will not only finish the male Mk 1 but have the female 90% complete. Not only that, but I am sure that you'll also complete a build feature on both. And yes, it's a Friday and enjoyed a pint while composing this message.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeremy, it's all about catering to your desires, what you feel is your minimal requirement and in the end, having fun.

A metal barrel and appropriate tow cable are beyond where I might go. I am primarily a scratch building cheapskate so I look for the cheap way out. However, you may consider a touch of individual external storage ( tarps, personal equipment, packs/boxes and the like) to add unique character to your build.

Cheers,
Jan

I think I have an addiction to metal barrels I'm not sure how to scratch external storage, so any mentoring from you and/or the rest of the crew would be great
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC
My, it sure has been rather quiet in this thread...the calm before the storm! There are 623 hits in the enlistment page but only 31 have committed to this campaign so far. I know that we still have a bit over five weeks to go and that there are a record number of campaigns at the moment. I had thought the build and complete aspects of this campaign might attract more attention. Then again, it's still early. For whoever is interested, I have updated the chart on page 4 to reflect the current membership. The change in site policy to not allow editing of previous posts means that I'll have to get creative on how and when I post chart updates. In the last campaign I'd go back and delete charts that were further back (page wise) and outdated.

@Jeremy - Perhaps if metal barrels were readily available and reasonably priced in my area I might consider using them. As that is not the case and as postage can get expensive I've avoided the idea.

As far as scratching external storage goes, there was quite a bit of that during the Matchbox campaign. However, that campaign only allowed minimal enhancement as the desire was to have the bulk of the original model visible. One fellow had desired to do a Sherman Firefly and wanted to cover it with scratched Hessian tape. So by that example you can see that there are Braillers who aren't opposed to such practices and more important, willing to share their techniques.

Cheers,
Jan
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi all,just enlisted. Have a large stash of Braille scale models,nearly 50 kits, so have been trying to make some decisions before enlisting! I might build 3 for the campaign time permitting of course

I'll be doing an Emhar Whippet i just picked up.

An Airfix Vickers VI in B.E.F markings and camo.

And i was motivated by Radek's Italeri Valentine (nice work on the extra detail there Radek ) to finally finish mine that i started years ago!
The Italeri Box claims it's a Mk.1?? But i believe the Mk.1 was never sent to Africa. Would i be correct in assuming it's a Mk.II??
I was wanting to do one in the colour scheme/markings of the 6th Armoured Division in Tunisia,i think they were still using some Mk.II's in the early stages of the campaign? Can anyone confirm this???
Looking forward to seeing everyones builds. And more of Jan's spreadsheets that i enjoyed reading to see where everyone was at with their kits in the Matchbox campaign!
Cheers,
Tim

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,just enlisted. Have a large stash of Braille scale models,nearly 50 kits, so have been trying to make some decisions before enlisting! I might build 3 for the campaign time permitting of course

A hearty welcome Tim and I am glad you can join us for this adventure. With 50 kits in the stash you certainly have me beat. I've perhaps a dozen and the SWMBO would like me to finish all of them during this campaign. LOL Feel free to build as many as you can manage.

Quoted Text

I'll be doing an Emhar Whippet i just picked up.

An Airfix Vickers VI in B.E.F markings and camo.

And i was motivated by Radek's Italeri Valentine (nice work on the extra detail there Radek ) to finally finish mine that i started years ago!
The Italeri Box claims it's a Mk.1?? But i believe the Mk.1 was never sent to Africa. Would i be correct in assuming it's a Mk.II??
I was wanting to do one in the colour scheme/markings of the 6th Armoured Division in Tunisia,i think they were still using some Mk.II's in the early stages of the campaign? Can anyone confirm this???
Looking forward to seeing everyones builds. And more of Jan's spreadsheets that i enjoyed reading to see where everyone was at with their kits in the Matchbox campaign!

A Whippet and a Mk VI, what unique and unusual subjects. I'm not all that well familiar with the Valentine except for knowing it existed and was powered by a reliable former bus engine. If I hear any more about them I may be intrigued enough to try my hand at one. With all the diverse subjects being mentioned here this could end up being as interesting, if not more so, than the last campaign. As far as deciding what to do, I am still not committed to anything in particular. BTW, you have been added to the roster in the table on page 4.

Cheers,
Jan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Good news just bought my M1A2 Abrams that will be the basis for my TUSK build. Oh what have i let myself in for wish me luck!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Scott, don't think a thing about what you are getting into. We are all distracted by potentials. I started at my current T80B build with the honest intention of doing it OOTB. One thing leads to another and then...

I have always somewhat preferred modern subjects but since returning to the hobby have done few. That being said, I happened to pick up a Trumpeter M1A1 with mine rollers recently. While not committing, that **might** be my build for this campaign. Or maybe my Hummer 2+1 pack or .......

Cheers,
Jan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 10:27 PM UTC
Thanks Jan, I am just trying figure out how to do a couple of things? I need to figure out how to do the glass on the gun shield and how i am going to make the bar armour over the rear? I am sure i will get it sorted??
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
Scott, I haven't got a clue about doing bar armour but the glass should be the easier of the two. Some of those Dragon Hummer kits come with several pair of optional doors in clear plastic. That might be a place to start. While my LHS isn't the greatest (mostly railroading stuff) you can find sheets of clear styrene there and even some aftermarket clear parts/windows from the model railroading area.

EDIT: Re:Bar Armour - Depending on the type and shape of bar armour used on the M1 you might again find a solution in a model railroading section. There is a company called Tichy Train Group that makes styrene injection moulded HO scale details. For the bar armour you could start with pipe railings. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=178&category=Details

The cost of their products appears quite reasonable and they have quite a variety of items. I also noticed that they carried HO scale angle iron and other forms that might be useful for our scale. At the LHS I also noticed a variety of plastic and PE engine grills and screening.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott, I haven't got a clue about doing bar armour but the glass should be the easier of the two. Some of those Dragon Hummer kits come with several pair of optional doors in clear plastic. That might be a place to start. While my LHS isn't the greatest (mostly railroading stuff) you can find sheets of clear styrene there and even some aftermarket clear parts/windows from the model railroading area.

EDIT: Re:Bar Armour - Depending on the type and shape of bar armour used on the M1 you might again find a solution in a model railroading section. There is a company called Tichy Train Group that makes styrene injection moulded HO scale details. For the bar armour you could start with pipe railings. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=178&category=Details

The cost of their products appears quite reasonable and they have quite a variety of items. I also noticed that they carried HO scale angle iron and other forms that might be useful for our scale. At the LHS I also noticed a variety of plastic and PE engine grills and screening.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan i will have a look at there site. Here is what i have to try and make for the rear of thr M1.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.missing-lynx.com/images/PEA149reviewaj_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/german/voyagervbs0120reviewaj_1.html&usg=__LAXh0FxZGFqGMvntIDtzRgFDMc8=&h=525&w=698&sz=30&hl=en&start=66&zoom=1&tbnid=HlxzVMsJA3qkeM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=183&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dm1a2%2Btusk%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en-GBGB390GB390%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D748%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=259&ei=mTWeTPatOpKTjAfxiLWrDQ&oei=dzWeTNakCZaQ4gabrcCFDQ&esq=3&page=4&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:66&tx=83&ty=95
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Scott, that doesn't look too simple. You may need to use artistic license to achieve a representation of it. At the Tichy site check out "Structure Parts". There also might be potential in the "Skids and Pallets" under "Details". IF the straight pieces are an appropriate size they could at least save you some cutting time. Although you'd still need to scratch most of it.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
I look in from time to time but I still haven't decided what to do and haven't enlisted. I have that Fugimi Panzer I and you said that I needed the entire kit which included an anti-tank gun to qualify as a full kit. Well I found the gun and it "had" been mostly complete but, it was in a soft box under heavier boxes and got CRUSHED. It's in several pieces now and some of the thinner parts are warped as well. Will repairing it count toward finishing?

Regards,
AJ
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 01:54 PM UTC
(quote)... I need to figure out how to do the glass on the gun shield and how i am going to make the bar armour over the rear? ..."(quote)

Scott, you could try using the clear plastic safety covers that come on some razor blades. I have several covers from Gillette Sensor blades that look like they are the appropriate scale thickness for 1/72 bullet-proof glass, and the plastic is super clear.

For the Abrams Engine Slat Armor, I would just use Evergreen strips to make it. I'm scratching the actual engine grates from styrene strip and sheet.

(By the way, I finished this one and then promply dropped in on the floor and when I backed up the computer chair I was sitting in, the wheel ran right over the whole thing and destroyed it!!!)

I hope this helps...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I look in from time to time but I still haven't decided what to do and haven't enlisted. I have that Fugimi Panzer I and you said that I needed the entire kit which included an anti-tank gun to qualify as a full kit. Well I found the gun and it "had" been mostly complete but, it was in a soft box under heavier boxes and got CRUSHED. It's in several pieces now and some of the thinner parts are warped as well. Will repairing it count toward finishing?

Regards,
AJ

I believe that repairing the gun would qualify under finishing a build.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
AJ and Jeff, I amy sorry to here about your unfortunate circumstances. For one that has "been there, done that" I can empathize.

@AJ - AFAIAC, rebuilding a "wreck" is the same as completing an unfinished model. And yes, the PaK 43 and the Pz I are for all intents and purposes considered one kit. What I will require of you is that you take a picture of the unfinished Panzer and the wrecked PaK prior or at the start of the campaign.

To All: I have been thinking that we might require some verification at the start of the campaign as to the condition/state of unfinished builds. One campaign here requires a picture of the "kit" with a recent periodical (newspaper or such) where the date is readable. Also, many digital cameras have an option to date stamp photos on the picture so that would also be acceptable. What say Ye all?

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
No problem Jan, just keep us in the loop when you change anything.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 01:40 AM UTC
The verification of the date idea is fine with me

randyd
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 241 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hello Folks, Just enlisted, look forward to seeing everyones progress. I have a whole bunch of kits that I need to finish for my 1940 diorama so this will be a great way to keep the motivation high.

This will be my first project for this campaign, RPM's Hotchkiss H35 tank...

Looking at the parts, it appears that this kit would be a good canidate to be shown as knocked out. It comes with interior detail and seperate hatches. The cast tracks might be tough to work with

For my second part of my entry I need to model some civilian vehicules so I will go with a Silesian Models resin kit of a Renault AHR truck.

Will post the required start photos in Nov.

This is going to be fun!!!!

Randy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
Jeremy and Jaymes, thanks for your comments about the verification proposal.

Randy, welcome to the campaign. The chart on page 4 has been updated to reflect your enlistment. That H35 really looks interesting and a unique subject. I checked out the kit on Henk's site and I see what you mean about the tracks. At that small a size they may not look too bad. Can you imaging trying to them on if they were link by link! I've never heard or run into RPM and there subjects look very interesting. The full interior is a really nice touch.

Cheers,
Jan
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi all, the photo with date is ok with me.
Hi Randy,welcome aboard. I will be watching your Hotchkiss H35 tank with a great deal of interest,I have been wanting to get some French armour and have seen RPM stuff about but have seen mixed reviews.
Sounds like the detail is fairly good?
What else will be in your 1940 dio? I ask as I really like a lot of the equipment and colour schemes of the B.E.F in France, and not many people seem to appreciate armour subjects from 1940!
Cheers,
Tim