Hosted by Darren Baker
LRDG
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 10:59 PM UTC
A Patrol - T Patrol as split in two hence T1 and T2. (four Troops) As far as I can make out Vehicles T1 - 5 were from T1 and the rest T6 - T11 for T2 (Jan 1941). I am sure there was mix and match for missions. I haven't seen and Jeeps marked with "T". I have seen a Gun Truck marked as 'T1' ( Info from "Kiwi Scorpions")
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 11:35 PM UTC
Thanks Thomo, something to work on.

Cheers

Al
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi Alan,
Thomo is correct about the numbers for the T half patrols. The W/T truck carried the patrol navigator, and was normally No. 2 in the column, followed by the Patrol Sergeant 's jeep as No. 3. No numbered jeeps in any photos I've seen.
I had the same problem regarding decals, and decided to make some for my own LRDG project, the S1 (Southern Rhodesian) patrol, two jeeps and four trucks. I rather liked having a truck named Simba. A full half-patrol is a lot to chew on, but I hope to have at least some finished by the softskins campaign deadline.
Making decals isn't difficult, provided you have a good printer. Laser or inkjet both work well. Being a frugal type, the hardest part for me was finding enough stuff to fill up the sheet. Broad arrows ad infinitum.
Cheers,
Dick
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi Dick,

Never tried making my own decals. I have plenty of Black Squares and I can make the T numbers so no problem there. Do you know if the two names provided in the decals are NZ vehicles?

Cheers

Al
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 09:18 AM UTC
Al-

Yes, both names provided in decals are for NZ vehicles.

TU TIRA III belonged to T1 patrol (NZ). Here is an image of it with Captain Nick Walder who was driving it during the Operation Caravan in September 1942:

TE TANIWHA served with T2 patrol (NZ). The picture below shows it with the patrol commander Major Patrick Andrew Clayton in Lybia, 1940. The only problem is that the grill likely indicates Chevy WB, not 30 CWT - I do not know if the name was later re-used or it's just a Tamiya's mistake...

HTH

~A
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC
Thanks Ales,

Al
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi There

The names were reused..hence II and III after some names as trucks were replaced or lost. Good info coming though, hopefully will help me with my truck names
ArnoRiedel
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 07:15 PM UTC
I'm now doing some research on LRDG decals and I noticed that some times there weren't any numbers on the trucks at all, only a black rectangular.
And sometimes that wasn't even there.

Cheerio, Arno
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:38 PM UTC
Hi Thomo,

Out of interest do you have a list of names? I'll probably leave them off for now rather than have one vehicle with and one without.

I've marked the RT Truck T2 and the Breda T4.

Hi Arno,

That was not uncommom from what I've seen, I suppose it depended on how new the truck was and what time was available to mark them up.

Cheers

Al
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 11:19 PM UTC
Evening Al

"T" patrol Names

Te Anau (T6)
Te Ariki
Te Aroha (T2)
Te Auti
Te Aute
Te Awa
Te Hai
Te Hau
Te Pa
Te Paki
Te Puke
Te Rangi
Te Roti
Te Taniwha
Te Wanaka
Taipo
Taupo
Tirau
Tutira

More Trucks than names, I would say new crews, new names or loss of too many trucks with the same name lead to a chamge. The two numbers are the only ones I have been able to make out

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks Thomo.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 10:24 PM UTC
Moening folks.

A bit more work on the vehciles. Added some markings and following on from Dick's suggestion that they would have heavier MGs I'm working on adding some .50cals, Bit ow wear and tear starting to get added.

Al
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 10:45 PM UTC
Looking good...did you print your own decals

The blackdog stuff is the business, looking forward to the finished product
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi Thomo,

No, the decals are from the FingerPrint Design Guards Aemoured set. I used the black squares, T letters and the numbers came from an Ultracast set of Squadron signage I had.

.50cals are from the Academy US MG Set.

Cheers

Al
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hey Al,

Nice looking pair of trucks.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for dropping in, and thanks for the comments, I hope you're enjoying the build.

Cheers

Al
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:12 AM UTC
Alan, these are looking really great. Love the variation and realistic stowage. LRDG trucks have always been on my "to do" list, just havent pulled the trigger on starting one.

guess ill live vicariously through your build for now

Andy
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Andy,

Many thanks, glad you enjoying the build so far. I've had these in the must build pile for about 5 years! Took me that long to collect up the bits. The Italeri Breda made get going finally.

Cheers

Al
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hi Thomo,
The following list is the best I can come up with for T Patrol numbers and names, after looking through a number of books and a lot of downloaded images.
T-1 ?
T-2 ?
T-3 L4618888
T-4 L4618942
T-5 ?
T-6 L4618864 - Te Arau II
T-7 ?
T-8 L4618820 - Tirau II
T-9 L4618825 - Te Aroha III - radio truck
T-10 ?
T-11 ?
T-12 ?

L4618884 is T Patrol but I couldn't find a T number.for it
L4618873 is Tutira III, also no T number

I also have a few numbers for R1 Patrol:
R-1 ?
R-2 ?
R-3 ?
R-4 L4618912
R-5 L4618964 - Rotowaro
R-6 L4618835

Perhaps someone in Kiwiland can fill in the missing names and numbers.

Cheers
Dick
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 04:54 PM UTC
Cheers for that. I will follow up with a couple of fellas that might be in the know.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
Thanks Richard,

Hi folks,

This build started with some figuers and it looks like it's going to end that way with the addition of the Wolf figure and a slightly altered driver.

The trucks are done with only a pipe and can to add to the Vickers MG and some rum bottles to paint.

Thanks for the input from all.

Cheers

Al

Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 06:39 AM UTC
I have just noticed the radio setup on the W/T truck. Tamiya’s approach to the right side of the vehicle always puzzled me a bit.

I know the crew carried a civilian radio station to get BBC broadcasting and it was supposed to be stowed in another “built-in” to the left from the main communication equipment compartment. The kit represents the bottom part of the main radio compartment as a “drop-down door” serving also as a little desk when opened. No issue here as this clearly visible in photographs. But the upper half cover is represented as a simple (wooden) panel sliding to the left. That would effectively blocked access to a smaller compartment (supposedly) on the left, where the civilian radio was to be kept.

Some time ago, as was gathering information for my own model, I have reached out to Jack Valenti of LRDG Preservation Society seeking some advice on the subject. Jack responded promptly and – along with a load of other tremendously useful information - offered his own take on the problem. Eventually I found it very reasonable and logical approach and I will most likely go for it when the time comes

Basically, Jack considers the sliding upper panel a mistake as well. Instead, he suggests a main radio compartment built with a slit on top of the box used to make the compartment (essentially a little space between the box and the truck’s right side of the cargo bed) and possibly grooves alongside of the sides. Through there something like a metal sheet of a shape of prolonged upside-down “L” could be inserted (slide into). The longer part of the L profile would then cover the compartment with the radio and the shorter would stop on top of the box keeping the cover in place. The plate of such shape – with little “handles” further supporting the theory - is clearly visible on top of a W/T truck in this picture:

This setup would not block the civilian radio compartment access on the left. This one it turn could have had the sliding panel door as also suggested by the picture above.

It’s just a hypothesis but I wanted to share it anyway as it sounds reasonable. I just hope Alan won’t mind bringing it so late for his incredible build…

~A
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi Ales,

No problem, it's been talked about and discussed before without any real answer. This one just about fits below the No 11 set although I've left it out on the shelf for view, it's as close to the talked about set as I have got and too late now to make any major chances now.

Cheers for the info, if they ever produce a new tooled vehicle something to consider then perhaps!

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Well these are about done for now as far as the build goes. Time to set them aside, think on the final display and any other items of interest that might be added. Not having a selection of vehicle names was a pity, but perhaps a set will come along and can get added in the future. Some vehicles from 1 (NZ) Partol, A Sqn LRDG. Hope you all enjoyed the build, I've added the figuers for scale.

Cheers

Al

Breda Gun truck

Wireless Truck

Possible figure placement around/on the vehciles
for scale

thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC