Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What if Campaign?
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi all,

@ Duncan: That is a very interesting vehicle, it would be very useful as a weapons platform, but I was leaning towards a circular chainsaw (to squish bugs). Good progress on the panther looking forward to the paint job!
Thanx for the pic!

@ Sean: Great progress and a very interesting build!

@ Jeremy: I was worried about that, the reason for the lack in technological innovations in weapons is due to the fact that it was not needed! Once the world united there were no more wars between countries and most of their resources were used to improve medical problems and luxury items. (The actual reason: I just don’t have the skill or material to build something futuristic, I can’t even find sheet styrene here)

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
Sean: Well good job on making it work

JP: Awesome! Now quit teasing us and get to work!

Scott: You have plenty of time to get something to work out with your digital issues.

Chad: Excellent! Sounds sort of like the logging conversion I used to see in the mountains up north.

vladimir: Whatever feels right to you bud, it you think it works then go for it
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(The actual reason: I just don’t have the skill or material to build something futuristic, I can’t even find sheet styrene here)

In the past, I've cut up plastic "For Sale" signs from the hardware store, and for really thick styrene, I found that excess material from a shower enclosure installation responded well to Testors Plastic Cement also. My biggest source of thin styrene has been from a suit factory where my dad used to work, and he collected the scraps from suit makers who cut out their patterns on giant sheets of the stuff.
Now that I'm older and financially independent (mostly) I can just go to the L.H.S. Hopefully a good one starts doing business where you are (that united world/ more luxury items you stated ), or that you find an alternative source for yourself.
As for skill, I'm proof that you can compensate with tenacity instead.
-Sean.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:11 PM UTC
Vlad: your vehicle looks cool! go for the chain saw/ bug stamper thing for sure. Remember, it's a "what if", so you can set the parameters. There used to be a show on TV called Robot Wars or something like that where people would make radio controlled robots with saws and other things coming off of them and attack each other in an arena. You might be able to find some you-tube on it for some ideas. I also share your pain on availability. Anything I need hobby specific comes through the internet.

Duncan: that's a beast of a tank with a beast of a gun! Looking good.

Sean: I can see the "Go Brown" sign on it now. Thanks for pointing out the front bumper. Now I need to decide if I will correct mine or leave it for variety...

Happy Modelling, -zon

Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:22 PM UTC
It's very interesting and inspiring work Sean....Keep posting mate......and good luck....
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Finally, I went to my old house, got some stuff from my spare-boxes that will look great on my E-25:

- Leopard gun barrel or T-55...
- .5 MG & 12,7 Russian MG's
- Jerrycans
- Homemade ERA blocks & Cage Armour
- Dozer Blade

Stay tuned , I'll start this one soon
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi again,

@ Jeremy: I was thinking of making it a sort of hover craft but that would have interfered with my diorama plans. So I will stick to the un-futuristic style!

@ Sean: I will try and find a suit shop that uses these methods! Thanx for the heads up!

@ Zon: Interesting show, I had heard of it but never had a chance to actually watch it. I actually enjoyed watching the battles it’s very exciting!

So here’s my progress, I stuck on most of the pieces that I was planning to add and I have decided to convert the machine gun at the rear into a flamethrower. I also managed to lay down the first camouflage color and I have added the masking tape to form the digital pattern.

These are just a few of the “bug’s” that I will be using, I need to go to a toy store and find some more. I am facing a bit of a dilemma, see the legs doesn’t lift the spider’s body off the ground it’s actually laying on the ground with the legs hovering over the ground! So I was wondering if there’s a way to solidify plastic (that has a flimsy feel to it)?

Regards,
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
Looking good vladimir! The trick with the bug is going to be to mount it on metal pins that actually lift the body off of the ground. You will probably need one in the thorax in addition to the abdomen to keep it stable.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 08:45 AM UTC
The idea of using pins to raise them off the ground is a good piece of advice, thanx for the help! I will test that out first thing in the morning.

The thing is, I wanted to portray some of them jumping and a few that have been killed. I know that when a spider is killed it curls up into a ball, so I would like to know how I could manipulate the plastic?

Just a small update:
Added the second color of the camouflage, and added the tape over it! I plan to paint the last color tomorrow morning (Dark Grey).

Regards,
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
Very warm water
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 03:59 PM UTC
Vlad: cool!!! I like the bugs. One possibility is to insert thin wire into the legs, then bend that. I'm thinking about the wire in twisty-ties that often (used to anyway) come with trash bags or bread. Of course, I'm not sure how easy it would be to thread the wire through the leg, but you could try it. Another thought is to pin the leg how you want it and coat it in white glue/ water mix, that might hold it in place when it dries. HTH.

Happy Modelling, -zon
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 11:53 PM UTC
Vlad: Nice job on that Luchs...curious about what the camo will look like in the end. I gotta remember to carry a chainsaw next time I run into spiders...
Sean: I love how the HMMVW is going to look like a SWAT-truck on steroids.
Duncan: The rear turret section kind of makes me thing of the Chaffee or the M47. Should look good in IDF Sand
Shift911
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
vlad, that masking for the digital camo looks promising, I'm eager to see the finished result! I always figured it would be a pain in the ***, but now that I see yours, you just keep masking in between colors and then take it all off at the end. Maybe if I get a flat enough model I'll give it a try, and in hindsight I kinda wish I'd done it on my Bradely MGS thing.

Thanks to everybody else for the feedback, I've decided to use Academy's 1151 instead just because it has figures and its cheap

The Bradley is pretty much done, but I'll save those pics for later. I'm semi-happy with how the camo turned out, it was tougher than I thought go figure. I also have a few Verlinden figures and a Frankenstein trumpy figure I'm going to throw in the mix.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 01:55 PM UTC
Awesome, any chance he'll be a real Frankenstien's Monster turned soldier?
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanx Jeremy and Zon for the tips I will try those method’s as soon as I can, I need to get more bugs to test them on!

@ Benjamin: Hahaha, but it might get messy.

@ Lucas: It actually is very annoying it takes forever to cut the pieces and it’s kind of tricky to cut the tape properly! I hope that the camouflage is promising enough. I can’t really see the picture you uploaded; do you know why by any chance?

Here is my Luchs semi-complete still need to add a few details (tools, weapons, etc … ), I also need to give it a wash. Unfortunately, not to my surprise, I could not find decal paper to print out my own decals. So now I need to know what I should do about that, might not add any divisional markings. It is also not surprising that there are no products to convert figures. I feel that the camouflage could have used one more color (but it’s too late), and although it might not be effective it looks cool (in my opinion any way).

Regards,
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 12:49 AM UTC
Excellent digital-camo Vladimir your going really well!, better progress than me ..........mind you I've been collecting about 2-3 tons of firewood this weekend I will / should? get back into the Panther next week.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
I like that digital camo!

Seeing as I'm going to be off work for a bit I took all week to catch up on my case load and brief my new partner.

I have settled on a paint scheme. Looking around the boonies out here got me thinking the old Afrika Tropen scheme of 8000/7008 would be appropriate.

So, here's the back story, the LAV 150's were intended for Israel, hence the base paint of Israeli armor sand. After the "event" they couldn't be shipped so they were appropriated from a warehouse on the coast.

California seceeded and closed it's borders. Utah, Arizona and Nevada became an alliance aligned with what was left of the US government. Money talks so the 150's, spares, and abundent ammo were taken to Henderson NV where the appropriate camo was applied for the theatre, namely the Arizona Nevada border.

Israeli armor sand, field drab, light sand and dark gray MERDC style camo.

MMMMM Good!

G
AndyMcHun
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hello Folks!

Vladimir! Great progress on Your model. That digital camo looks simply stunning.

As for me. I've started doing some works on my Chieftain project. I used my scratch built Chifty chassis with AFV Club workable Centurion suspension system and resin wheels (copied by Wallie from the Club HUGE THANKS). I had to slightly modify the suspension arms to be able to use the wider Chieftain wheels. The hubcaps are also from the AFV Club set. They are nicely casted but were a bit thick so I had to do some surgery to make the good match.

Let's see some pictures!

That's for now!
Thanks for watching!
Andy
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC
Vlad: the digicam looks good. The tedium really paid off.

Andy: nice looking hull you've scratched there.

As for me, i'm having some fit issues with my Italieri HMVEE and I'm considering swapping it out for a Tamiya. The firewall is almost non existant and the windshield is wider than the body and I don't see how to fix that. I intend to pose the vehicle with the hood up, so all of these issues compound against using this kit. I'll probably keep it running as a prototype / test bed.

Happy Modelling, -zon
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 07:47 PM UTC
Vladimir and Andy: Nice work fellas!

Zon: Those don't sound like tough issues to deal with. The windshield can be trimmed to fit, just mark carefully before you cut. As for the firewall, are you saying that there really isn't one or that it is there but lacks detail? Either way should be easy to remedy. If there isn't one you can scratch one out of card, and if it is just lacking detail then you can

Keep up the great work guys!
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC
Andy...... Wow excellent stuff!!! quick question....how do you do the bolts etc on the final drive flanges?
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
Fine painting Vladimir.....
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 03:07 PM UTC
Vlad, let me chime in too. That digital camo is worth all your efforts. It really paid off. Thanks for posting!
-Sean.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hey guys, after working 28 hrs this weekend in a 36 hrs period I needed something simple to do while I had some coffee so I started on my Tamiya JS-3 and got through the 1st 2 steps which includes all the road wheels, return wheels, fuel tanks and the rear hull plate no pictures yet sorry

@Vlad I'm not into the modern vehicles but the digital camo looks great it reminds me of my .45 in Urban digital camo
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 05:31 AM UTC
Painting has begun,

Been having some issues with my camera, it keeps saying the card is not formatted but when you try to format it it says this card can not be formatted??? but I can take 3 pics on the camera without the card in.