Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What if Campaign?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 04:14 PM UTC
Rockin G! That's going to look sweet with some weathering
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 04:45 PM UTC
Everything is looking really good over here with the builds. Wayne, that little mover is looking sharp, as is everyone else's... Over on that "other" campaign I'm trying to finish, I'm running into a problem. I'm trying to use some K&S aluminum tubing for some framework, and it is NOT taking well to my ZAP CA gel (medium viscosity). I can't even glue the aluminum tubing to the aluminum mesh I'm using for...well, for part of the vehicle.

Any ideas? Is aluminum a pain in the butt? Could my glue be old? I have had it for a while, and even though it doesn't get very humid up here in Minnesota between October and June, could there be an issue with moisture inside the glue bottle? Cap was on, finger tight, but not so tight I couldn't get it off easily.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 05:32 PM UTC
I have had serious issues with CA and aluminum. I scratched a jerry can rack recently and about lost my mind. Aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to plastic, aluminum to my fingers, NOTHING worked. I finally gave up and used Gator Grip glue.

Folks had all sorts of advice, so I bought new CA, used a kicker, had a cocktail, said an incantation, asked for devine intervention, and still zilch.

Brass, no worries, aluminum, ah fugetaboudit...............

G
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 06:30 PM UTC
G,

Yeah, I should have known my CA was still good, as it had NO problems bonding my two fingers together. I ended up using Tenax to melt the plastic to the aluminum mesh for the windows, headlights and windshield area.

I ended up with a "fuggedaboutit" for the rod, and just used two sizes of styrene rod and tube for the passenger door frame.

Painted it up with some Vallejo Model Air Aluminum with a brush, and it looked just fine.
Removed by original poster on 06/22/11 - 08:52:24 (GMT).
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 10:01 PM UTC
So far with the what if "Nightwraith" ,,process is being made at last ,,had time at last to do all the things that were skipping around in my head ,,

The new rear end

The new engine deck starting to take shape

New engine deck nearly complete

The new front end and side armour slowly getting there

The rear engine out let ports ,,now to sort the panel out between out let ports and cooling fins ..

More up dates soon

Phill

windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Everything is looking really good over here with the builds. Wayne, that little mover is looking sharp, as is everyone else's... Over on that "other" campaign I'm trying to finish, I'm running into a problem. I'm trying to use some K&S aluminum tubing for some framework, and it is NOT taking well to my ZAP CA gel (medium viscosity). I can't even glue the aluminum tubing to the aluminum mesh I'm using for...well, for part of the vehicle.

Any ideas? Is aluminum a pain in the butt? Could my glue be old? I have had it for a while, and even though it doesn't get very humid up here in Minnesota between October and June, could there be an issue with moisture inside the glue bottle? Cap was on, finger tight, but not so tight I couldn't get it off easily.

There was a discussion somewhere else a month or two ago (vague, right?), but to hold your mesh behind the body like that, I would have used tacky craft glue (I have Aleene's brand). It dries clear too. The only thing I don't know is the long term-- if it cracks or anything years later. It's water-based, so there's no threat of gluing your fingers together with it.

G, the camo really ties it all together and makes it awesome.
Phill, your is really coming together well too! Some good ideas there.

cheers,
Sean.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 11:39 PM UTC
Disregard that last post, the tacky glue doesn't work either. I tried to form curved handrails out of strips cut from an aluminum can, to no avail.
Going back to styrene solved all my problems. I hope you've got yours resolved for good.
Here is my progress as of last night. Some final detail to the rear:
RearDetailPrepaint-20110622-2145.jpg
and closed up the cab for painting (before making it inaccessible with the roof). I figure removing tape will be easy enough, but applying it would have been insane from only that open driver's door:
PreppedForRoof-20110622-2144.jpg
cheers!
-Sean.
edit: thinking more, by the same logic, I could have installed all the windows first, and masked them from the outside. Ah, either way there would be trouble.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 06:00 AM UTC
Phill: The new deck looks much better, it helps balance out the quad AA

Sean: The shape is almost fully formed, looking good! So when are you going to be taking advanced orders for the first production run?
jmontey
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
hey im having issues uploading photos. im new to the site and this is the first time i have done this. does anyone mind telling me how i can upload pics of my progress to the campaign
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
Jordan,

I hate to be a guy that says "Follow this link", but...

http://armorama.com/forums/120940&page=1

It is a step by step on uploading to your KitMaker gallery into posts. Much faster than I could explain it, and it has pretty pictures too!
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey im having issues uploading photos. im new to the site and this is the first time i have done this. does anyone mind telling me how i can upload pics of my progress to the campaign

JMontey- there is a helpful thread written by Gary the campaigns administrator under Forums/Campaigns. The trick is to figure out a way for yourself to get the bb code for your photo and paste them in your post. For Kitmaker gallery photos, there's an icon next to the picture name, and it'll put the correctly-worded address in the box for you to copy. Speaking for myself, I use Flickr and there's a "Share" tab and "grab the bb code" box to copy the address from.
Hope that helps!

Jeremy- I grant anyone full intellectual rights to my idea to base a UPS truck on a Humvee chassis. Actually, you should probably be talking to United Parcel Service, since they'd have a bigger claim in this.
-Sean.
edit: see? In the time it took me to explain myself, Big Smitty got it in.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC
That's because I'm called me the "King of Cut and Paste". I knew I'd seen the question asked before; I just had to find the original post.
jmontey
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:41 AM UTC
thanks for you help guys. pictures asap
jmontey
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
jmontey
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
im gonna need a better camera
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 11:26 AM UTC
Looking very interesting Jordan....Good luck and please keep posting mate.....
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC
Jordan thats looking seriously cool mate .. being a total tread head i love tanks and this one of yours is a real beauty ..can't wait to see it finished
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 12:37 PM UTC
Sean i found a utterly simple way to get pics on here and it was by mistake ... mate of mine told me about Photobucket .. i was with imageshack ..annoying so i tryed photobucket ... once the pic is uploaded you just pass your mouse over the pic and it comes up with a list of codes ..the last one is IMG and just passing your mouse onto IMG it will copy that code automatically anf then you right click your mouse in here and bingo ..the pic is here ..so simple i even got it to work now i'm like the rest of you chaps and have nice big flashy pics and not the little ones i was stuck with before .

Thats my 2 cents

Phill
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:40 PM UTC
While i think about it heres some more update pics ..

The drivers position ..just don't look right to me

So it got axed

The new part i had in mind looks heaps better ,,comes from the turn table from the Trumpeter K5 rail gun

Needed to cut out the centers to make them look more like windows

Now it looks much better and more in line with the rest of the vehicle

From the front

The engine deck nearing its completion

Cheers

Phill

BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 02:57 PM UTC
2 thumbs way up on the rebuilt driver's position. Looks so much more the part than the first one. Really diggin' it!
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
Cheers for they Matt ,, it just never worked ya know ? ,,the rest looks like super modern but this part looked like it was from the 70's ..its times like this i am glad i keep all my bits ..drives the girl friend nuts lol
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:09 PM UTC
Totally agree. You definitely needed something angular up top, and the old hatch just didn't do the rest justice. Looking really good.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Thanks mate ... means alot to me that does ,,, but i just had another evil idea for this model lol .. yes it will be finished ,,i am putting my foot down ,,going to make some shields for the wheel rims ..i think they need them but the front will remain the same ,,the new front just seems to make this thing look more "in your face" .

Hell mate this i think this might end up looking pretty damn cool lol
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 03:58 PM UTC
Yeah, Phill and Jordan, you've made some cool stuff. They barely look like their parents! Again, really well thought-out.
thanks for posting,
-Sean.

edit: Ha! I almost forgot my own update photos...
RoofGluedFront-20110623-2206.jpg
RoofWeight-20110624-1658.jpg
ReadyForPaint-20110624-2048.jpg
Glued on the roof-- let the front seam dry before bending it over the top and attaching the rest. When I rounded off the roof edges, I sanded some gaps into it, so I filled those with CA. Until a week or two ago, I would have struggled with green putty, but since my putty got old, I tried CA as a gap filler, and I realized what I've been missing-- especially in a situation like this, where I needed strength out of my filler material.
thanks again!