Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What if Campaign?
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hey ya Sean ... CA is wonderful stuff aint it ? lol I use one we have here in NZ called insta-cure+ ... the gap filling is brilliant and it dont work straight away so gives ya couple of seconds to fart around then its good .. love it for doing PE ..
The van of yours is one i would be very happy to drive got some great roads around here that would be serious fun in that thing lol
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 04:32 PM UTC
Well looks like we're a lively bunch tonight, great progress fellas!
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Wow, this is starting to really roll here.

Jordan I don't know what lurks under all that white styrene, but I don't care. That is really looking good. Can't wait for paint.

Phil I like your style man. Good move on the driver's position.

Sean there is nothing to say but "Oh man", a UPS truck on steroids.

Hey a quick tip if I may.

I have used superglue and baking soda to make a good hard, durable filler. I put thin CA down, then sprinkle baking soda on it. I build it up in layers, and sand almost immediately. Do this in a well ventilated area as you will get some fumes. Models from 10 years ago still look like the day I finished them, no shrinking, no change at all.

G
jmontey
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC
thank you guys for all the positive comments and support. oh and Wayne, as to whats lurking under that styrene, well its the old p.o.s. ESCI MBT T74. it was never going to be a legit t-72, but so far its been a great platform to mutate in to some futuristic russian armour. i really enjoy seeing everyones creations develop you guys have taught me alot since i got back in to the hobby these last couple of months.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
Jordan when i saw your model my first thought was its like a very updated version of the Black Eagle ..then looking at pics online yours is better ..hell of alot more detail to than the real one lol ...really cant wait to see how that turns out .

Phill
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Righto guys ,,here it is in all its glory ..kinda ,,, hope ya like it ,,all thats left to do is the wheels and then its 100 % complete

Nearly time for paint

Phill

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Phill, that's looking great! I have a thought after looking at the side profile. Normally utilitarian offroad vehicles will have a bow to the front and rear overhangs to allow them to approach difficult angles without bottoming out. level 90deg overhangs usually denote a street type of vehicle, something more suited for riot control. Obviously it's your build so you can do whatever you want, but if you added even a 20deg bow to both ends it would look more the part of a versatile offroad vehicle.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 09:05 AM UTC
Jeremy i was thinking the same thought of thing but after doing some measurements the nose would end up being rather sharp and looked really quite strange and to give it that look i was after this works kinda well ..remember in the back ground story i said it was very old and there's many in storage ? well thats the reason ..not a fantastic offroad ability but it filled the gap lol ..my excuse there is another reason to ,,if i keep working on it it will never get done and I now have another machine in mind which will blow this one away and i know you guys will love it ..its right out there and with a huge amount of fire power to boot and that one i really can't wait to get started on .only going to give one clue ... 4 M61 Vulcan's

Phill
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
DANG NAB IT !!!! Ok its official.. I know longer like Jeremy ..nope ..no like ... after you said about the changing the angles front and rear i have been sitting here looking and looking and bugger it your right the more i look at it the more its annoying me now .. so out comes the saw and the Dremel and the cutting is going to begin .. oh well ..only makes for a better model at the end of the day and to be honest ..I never liked the rear ..looked to square but not anymore .. update pics to follow soon

Phill

Its all good Jeremy ..still like ya lol
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC
I like this monster Phill....Great work so far.....
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:40 AM UTC
Phill,
That vehicle would fit right in our "EOD" (End of Days) campaign over in scratchbuilders. I guess I was asleep, what is the base that you are using? I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:59 AM UTC
Phil,not meaning to stir the pot any more with mods,but I assume it has run-flat tires?
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hakan ... Thanks you for those kind words but thanks to Jeremy its gonna change again lol ..for the better ..

Bob ,,it started life as the Revell SpPz 2 "Luchs" A1/A2 then i got bored with it so many years ago i built the turret and then Jeremy did this what if campaign and all hell broke loose then this warped little mind of mine really went to work

Jt ... shut up lol ..to be honest i haven't got the slightest idea ,,but since you ask ,,, yes they are lol ,,even with the side armour i can still take the wheels off ..so if i can then the crew can

Now back to rebuilding the front of my nephews car ,,oh young drivers ,,i tell ya
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 12:56 PM UTC
Hi guys some great looking work here to much to even try and keep track of, keep up the good work. Here is where I am at with my JS-3Photobucket the building for the JS is finished, and being this is a what if I used the 2 red stars to add some colorPhotobucketPhotobucket Weathering will be done when it gets added to the base. Now its on to starting the figures
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
Phill: At first it didn't bother me, but then I couldn't stop thinking about it and had to mention it. Sorry bud It's going to look even more awesome once you make the changes, and you'll be ready to paint it looks like!
ps: Quit teasing us about the other build, lol Looking forward to it, it'll be hard to top this one!
Hope the damage to your nephew's car isn't too bad

Sal: Nice work bud! The stars are really unique in the way they are positioned and add a more updated look to the JS-II. Can't wait to see the next part of your project!
Removed by original poster on 06/27/11 - 00:38:53 (GMT).
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:48 PM UTC
Great builds so far !!
I still have a couple of Campaigns to finish and I'll be back for this one for sure..

I'm going to pick a E-50, with same background story but on a different theatre of operations.
I really wanted to do a LWS with a couple of M61 Vulcans or a heavy mortar but I lack space and I can't get anymore kits until I reduce my stash considerably (at least 10 kits..)
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 04:42 PM UTC
Jeremy its ok dude ,, i'm thinking much along the same lines as you now ..think it will look much better angled back and front and trust me on this .. this other one i am going to build will make this look pretty mundane when i am finished .. its a hell of alot bigger to

The nephews car aint that good ..he crunched the front pretty good ..bent the lower cross member and totalled the radiator panel ,,bumper is stuffed too .
So i'm knocking all straight for him ..already done the hard stuff ..cross member is straight and welded a new radiator panel an hour ago ..tomorrow hes getting his new bumper and radiator ...nothing to hard here lol whats really making things annoying is this ..caught a cold working on his car ..oh man
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 05:34 PM UTC
John: That's what I'm hoping will happen to my stash too

Phill: -insert shock face icon- I can't imagine what would be that much bigger, but I'm looking forward to it lol!

Wow, I'm not even going to ask what he was doing at the time of the accident
What kind of car is it, if you don't mind me asking?
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 09:19 PM UTC
Jeremy i will bet at the time of the prang he was trying to impress one of his mates ..wouldn't surprise me at all .he is like 18 so young and not the bright lol

The car is a 92 honda civic ..the bumper and hood are now 93 lol
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 09:39 PM UTC
Sal, where did you get the snow? Hey nice looking Ruskie again.

Bob
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sal, where did you get the snow? Hey nice looking Ruskie again.

Bob

Thanks for the comments guys

@ Bob, it's not snow it's an old fiberglass patio table that my wife does her gardening on, but your right it does look like snow
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 12:20 AM UTC
Finally started! My build will be a "Leatherman" Humvee...6 wheeler with extended rear carrying a weapons mount for every concievable situation:
Stingers for anti-air
Tow for anti-tank
Rockets for bunkers etc
Bushmaster for light vehicles
.50 and/or M19 for anti-personel

So far it's gone from this:

to:

Haven't started the weapon station yet and will need to load up the interior with electronics.

this is fun!
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...The nephews car aint that good ..he crunched the front pretty good ..bent the lower cross member and totalled the radiator panel ,,bumper is stuffed too .
So i'm knocking all straight for him ..already done the hard stuff ..cross member is straight and welded a new radiator panel an hour ago ..tomorrow hes getting his new bumper and radiator ...nothing to hard here lol whats really making things annoying is this ..caught a cold working on his car ..oh man

This global conversation is funny. We're just hitting warm summer weather here finally, and I forget that "down under" you're just getting into (what we call) winter. Sounds like you're pretty handy with those car repairs though. I've never welded, but it sure would be handy in times like that! Good work!

No progress to report for this campaign-- realized I didn't detail the roof BEFORE I jumped into painting, so there's some fine filing and sanding of primer. Also, that tan gloss paint on the cab interior (that took so long to cure) ended up crazing a little under the primer. Sanding seems to have resolved it-- it's not peeling up or loose anymore.
Sean M.- will you reinforce the frame joint, or is the body joint staggered to support the frame joint? Excellent idea! That's going to look cool.
Cheers,
-Sean H.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean M.- will you reinforce the frame joint, or is the body joint staggered to support the frame joint?

That little kink in the frame is just because cutting before the existing bends in each frame would have left the wheels too close together...seems pretty solid so sohouldn't need reinforcing, but will sand and clean up....shouldn't be too bad or visable when complete.