Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What if Campaign?
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Does it have to be a new build? Would it be acceptable to take one or two old builds and re-hash them?

Yes, as long as significant work is done then it will be acceptable. Let me know what it is that you want to do.

Thanks, count me in so. As soon as I figure it out I'll post it here. Given it's a campaign it'll have to be a bit OTT
I'm thinking along the lines of Humvee all-purpose fire-support vehicle. Like the Avenger but with sidewinders, TOW, rocket pod and bushmaster all-in-one. Might have to stretch the chassis or add 2nd rear axel to fit it all....

OK, my entry is provisionally being called a Leatherman Humvee....
It'll be 4 doors and 6 wheels with extended rear bed for the armaments. Here's the baic parts and the 2 really old and horrible builds which will form the basis of this entry

Looking forward to taking a saw to them on the start date....
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 02:24 AM UTC
Gary- That's already better. I have to believe that you've done this before. I couldn't improve what you've got there.

Sean- I like your thinking.

thanks,
-Sean H.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
Gary: Nice job on furthering the blueprint idea!

Sean M: Look forward to seeing what you're going to do with those!

Only a week and a half left to go guys!
AndyMcHun
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 09:50 AM UTC
I reorganized my projects so I will use my scratchbuilt Chieftain chassis with the Tamiya Mk.3 upper hull. Couple of days ago I received the AFV Club's Centurion workable suspension kit and I have also got an Academy Merkava Mk.2 kit. It is going to be a funny kitbash stuff with a lot of scratch. I can't wait.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 01:57 PM UTC
OK ,I'm done basking now. I like the ribbon looks sweet.Now all I have to do is come up with a back story.I can't beleive how big this Panther F is.Just the upper hull makes my other Afvs look like a smart car next to a pick-up.Even though the F did not see action,it makes you wonder what our guys thought when they first came across the older models for the first time in the field.There was probably a lot of "HOLY BLEEEEEP!"Will try to post pics later.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 03:57 PM UTC
Awesome guys!

Only a week left to go everyone!
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 02:08 AM UTC
Ok guys here is my background:
Hitler is dead and the Western Allies have come to a separate peace agreement with Nazi Germany. General Simpson and the U.S. 9th Army has continued their thrust across the Elbe River and have merged forces with General Wrenck German 12th Army. They have secured Berlin with the help of the Lufftwaffes 9th Parachute Division and the Russians have been pushed back across the Oder River. It is now Spring, 1946 and Marshall Zhukov has been given the new JS-3 Heavy Tank to help renew his attack on the German capital city of Berlin.
PhotobucketThis kit looks fairly simple I thought that there would be more to it considering the size of the box. It will be rumbling up a dirt road and be attacked by a mixed bag of forces using hand held weapons such as Panzerfaust.
Photobucket
I should be able to roll within a week of the kick off date
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 03:30 AM UTC
Knock out the JS3 with a Panzerfaust and then roast it with a flamethrower? Now that's an interesting but effective use of tactics Looking forward to seeing your diorama skills progress with this project bud
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
With Russ' permission I think I'd like to participate in his universe. I have a Hobby Boss LAV 150 that I think might look real good in rocky desert camo.

I can see this puppy, in defilade, defending the approach to Hoover Dam on the Boulder Highway.

MMMMMMM can't wait.

G
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With Russ' permission I think I'd like to participate in his universe. I have a Hobby Boss LAV 150 that I think might look real good in rocky desert camo.

I can see this puppy, in defilade, defending the approach to Hoover Dam on the Boulder Highway.

MMMMMMM can't wait.

G

Wayne
Great choice. Maybe the old 4 tone MERDC desert scheme?
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC
Exactly!

Here it is on a M109

"FOR DISCUSSION ONLY"

A few add ons, lotsa stowage, ummmm goood!

G
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Exactly!

Here it is on a M109

"FOR DISCUSSION ONLY"

A few add ons, lotsa stowage, ummmm goood!

G

Great choice.I wish I knew a maker who makes that earth yellow

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/afv/merdc.html
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Zod, I agree. I just did that camo on my Not Fighting Vehicles build and never found Earth Yellow. I trusted that the paint shops had some variation and that at only 5% of the complete scheme, the difference wouldn't be noticeable, so I made a mix of my own, judging by eye. (So far nobody has told me I was wrong. )
IMG_1062_g
thanks,
Sean.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
Looking at that chart I have serious reservations for using XF 49 for "sand". I'm thinking a custom mix is in order here for all the colors.

G
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
When in doubt, experimentation is the best way to go!
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:40 AM UTC
And.........it's a "what if"

G
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at that chart I have serious reservations for using XF 49 for "sand". I'm thinking a custom mix is in order here for all the colors.

G

Tamiya buff will work for sand. Also,Testors makes an armor sand as well
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Zod, I agree. I just did that camo on my Not Fighting Vehicles build and never found Earth Yellow. I trusted that the paint shops had some variation and that at only 5% of the complete scheme, the difference wouldn't be noticeable, so I made a mix of my own, judging by eye. (So far nobody has told me I was wrong. )
IMG_1062_g
thanks,
Sean.

Sean
Great looking M151
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 01:45 PM UTC
Thanks, Zon!
I think my skills have really improved since I joined Armorama. Hopefully my What If will be better yet!
-Sean
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Zon!
I think my skills have really improved since I joined Armorama. Hopefully my What If will be better yet!
-Sean

It will bud, it will...
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 04:25 PM UTC
Aloha All,

OK, so I typed up this backstory, then read G's post about joining into Russ' alternate reality and I realized I might be there too, although dealing with the refugee / displaced citizens end of it. Anyway, here it is:

Journal Entry: April 24,
We’ve been on the road for 4 days now. It’s been hot, dusty and slow going. We’ve taken shelter for another night in an abandoned gas station. I hope we’ve made the right choice, but it was becoming hopeless here in California. We have to get to Missouri, where the farmland is still productive. At least, that’s what we heard.

The Great Pandemic was declared about 6 years ago, which means it probably started 7 or 8 years ago. They said it began in Afghanistan, or Pakistan, or some ‘stan, ripped through Asia, then spread everywhere else. Initially, the United States and Europe were pretty good at keeping it at bay. But as trading stopped and the economy tanked, and, for a while, the black market flourished, creating another avenue for the virus to spread.

Eventually the virus slipped in to the US and the population was reduced by one-third. Even before the Pandemic, much of the southwest was already suffering from a prolonged drought and people moved out in droves. Cities throughout the southwest were reduced to towns and towns to rest-stops on the highway. Now it’s all just a bunch of ghost towns, abandoned and decaying.

The major oil producing regions were decimated by the virus, along with any distribution systems. What little domestic oil and diesel production there is has been reserved for military and government use, and there’s not even enough for that. Of course, there’s not much military or government left either.

Fortunately, our neighbor still had horses and some old military truck. I think he called it a hum-bee or something like that. Anyway, he rigged the truck to be drawn by horses. He and his brother agreed to take us all the way to Missouri. Then a couple other people heard about our trip and joined in. So far we seem to be working together alright. Well, only about 1,300 miles and 2 weeks to go. May God watch over us. Should start dinner now.

The base kits:

Only 5 days.

Happy Modelling, -zon
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 05:08 PM UTC
Nice story, very creative!
AndyMcHun
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC
Bone chilling story Zon! I can't wait to see.

Andy
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
Jeremy and Andy: thanks for the compliments. hopefully the work will suffice

I have a confession - I may have cheated I de-bagged and washed the sprues, but I have not cut any pieces yet. Am I still OK?

Happy Modelling, -zon