Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Carentan, June 12th, 1944
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC
Thanks Dave and Curtis! Nice to see you guys here.

Small update...

I built the StuG III and man, did it take FOREVER! I have never built a tank before now, so it took me quite some time. The fenders were a real PITA to get on, but I finally got them. Here's some photos. Anything you see I need to fix, please let me know.

This tank will be abandoned and somewhat ruined, so I will probably only do 1 side of half track, and the other side no tracks at all. None of the equipment is on it yet, waiting to paint it first.

And, didn't get a lot of modelling done this weekend because I was working with my dad finishing my airbrush booth! Finally got it done and jerry rigged in my tiny craft room

Now time to go play with it, since I have yet to use my brand new Harder and Steenbeck 2 in 1 Evolution AB I bought like 6 months ago!
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 01:53 PM UTC
Little update again. Got the StuG painted a bit and got some cool stuff going on with it.

Before shadows:

With shadows:

And some chipping/rusting:
1st layer, after hairspraying and chipping away at the paint:

With some mid tones:

And how it is right now, still a lot to do:

Trying my hand at some decals tomorrow, then probably some light washes and filters and weathering. Color Modulation is pretty cool. I am happy with the tank, especially it being my first one ever! yay!

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Brandi,stug looks good ,may be best to glosscoat over the hairspray as it may lift when you put a wet decal on it
ElCapitan
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC
Brandi,

Looks like you're making some good progress on your Stug, but I just wanted to let you know that your commanders hatch is on upside down. That little design on the hatch is a pad to protect the commanders head and should be on the inside. So with the hatch closed, the hatch will have a smooth appearance on the outside.
Keep plugging away: tanks aren't the easiest things to build so good luck.
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Kevin: good to know! I will change it
thanks.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 12:53 AM UTC
Nice paint booth there Brandi. Hope it's large enough for that KT!

I'm smack in the middle of putting mine together right now ... 2X2X2 and made of 1/4" Birch wood with a thicker base. I know it's rather big but I plan to paint a lot of large scale projects and then will vent it out via an RV hose kit I found at the local hardware store. Might even use a dissipating type filter system instead of relying on using the window as that is a pain to open and close all the time.

Oh, and the StuG is lookin' good too!

~ Jeff
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi guys!
Sorry for the long absence. Lots of things had been going on this past year, including moving...which means, new and larger build space for me, yay!

Anyway, I have finally got everything out and mostly set up and I was re-looking at my build. I am going to the shop today to get some supplies and start building again.

I will post photos once I get more work done for those of you that are still following this build, lol.

Good to be back, plus it's summer, so lots of build time for the next 3 weeks!

I cannot believe I build in that tiny room! haha!

Here's some shots of the new space...please excuse the mess!

I'll post more hopefully later today!

ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Got some work done so far...now I am making dinner, so thought I'd post up what I have been working on today:

Here's sidewalks laid out with curb lines:

First I built the factory in Sketchup and printed it off, then traced it up.

Here's the front wall...went with styrofoam this time, mostly because plaster is pretty messy and my process would have made this more difficult:

And for the cobblestone road, I went with split green peas...I am really liking the way it's looking so far!

So far, so good. Great start to finally getting these buildings done..I have about 3 more to build, plus finishing the music store, cafe and destroyed house...more work after dinner!
olivato
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Argentina
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC
Brandi, I´m glad to hear that you are on the project again. Since you left a post in my thread I found your diorama, and I have to say that it is a very interesting and huge project. Keep going, you are doing a great job. I will follow you.
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC
Hi Victor, glad you found me! Thanks! I am looking forward to finishing the road this week, hopefully by Sunday, but we'll see!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And for the cobblestone road, I went with split green peas...I am really liking the way it's looking so far!

Havent seen cobblestones made with split peas for some time. Tried it once, and when I added the wet plaster to seal between them, the skins came off and ruined the whole base. Honestly I wouldn´t recommend this method. Dont think it looks great scale-wise either. I would rather pour a layer of plaster and scribe the cobbles or even lay down a layer of modelling clay/putty and scribe the soft clay or putty. But thats me
The StuG look great so far!!
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC
I must agree, the peas are gonna start crackling later, been there done that, hope it isn't too late and you haven't done a square meter of this stuff (that's how big mine was) tried it all, flexible filler,coats of varnish,in the end making a master,then a mould, (you can fill it then with plaster,easier to couple 2 together, and add some difference).

my 2 euro cents
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 12:53 PM UTC
Great.....

Considering I am nearly done! Well, a guy on Trackpads gave me some sound advice, so i'm gonna go with his way and HOPE it all doesn't just get tossed out to the trash. Literally like 24 hours of my life to this, so that would suck. a lot. haha.

Should have some photos for you early this week! Thanks for checking in guys and thank you very much for the advice!!!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 04:56 AM UTC
Amazing how willing you are to take old work apart and start again. I am not that smart. I fight tooth and nail to make something work once I have built it. I am sure yourr modeling is better for it though.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 05:01 AM UTC
I feel I must say that I really liked the earlier street layout. The "Y" configuration of the streets meant you could not see THROUGH the diorama. It forced your eye to settle on the details within the dio and at the same time you could not see all three legs of the three streets at the same time.
That left room for possible multiple scenes going on at the same time just a few inches from each other.

Had to say it - sorry.

p.s. Love the use of the split peas for pavement!
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 07:52 PM UTC
OUTSTANDING
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC
Love the home made spray booth - now you have me designing my own! You can build almost anything out of foamcore!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
If you have not seen this dio thread you are going to want to:

Clervaux "Villa Prüm"

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/202395
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi Michael,
I too really like the Y configuration of the dio, but in the end, I wanted to get the factory in there for more drama and I think it will still turn out lovely. Also, every mistake made here on the first build is something to be learned for the next ones that come along.

Here's a photo of the peas all glued and sealed...about to prime them and get some paint on them!

I should be able to update more this evening.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 07:08 AM UTC

Those green streets look so weird!! Great idea to post the pics! Thanks!!

Definitely a project to watch closely!!

Great show Sir!!

Cheers

Romain
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Here is a "Design Your Own Buildings" site you might be interestedd in. (as advertised on Armorama) The examples are primarily US style building but I did see two European structures. In any case the intent is for the modeler to design their own and buildings print them out in any scale. After that one can use them either as theatrical flats (for structures in the far distance) or add as much 3D detail as you wish for close up structures.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hello!
Many moons ago, I started this build log and this build and went radio silent for, apparently, 3-ish years! Whoops! Wasn't my intention, life just got kinda nuts.

Since the previous update, I have moved about 4 times, graduated college, started grad school, got laid off, went through 2 break-ups, and well, here we are!

I finally have the free time and the desire to get back into my diorama. I moved into my own place months ago and set up a small station in the corner of my living room. It's perfect!

I started working here and there on the dio, and have made some progress.
I hope to keep working on it and update this build log much more regularly!

Many things have changed, including the layout and the overall size of the base.
I decided against the peas afterall for the cobblestone road as it seems they were the wrong shape (I have learned quite a bit in these past few years!) so now it's good ol' hand cut cork bits and plaster! Made the sidewalks from air dry clay. Buildings are a mostly the old plaster ones first posted here, and have actually been quite sturdy after all this time! Quite incredible, really!

I built the factory from foamcore and cork, which I partially regret because it has bent a bit, even though I did a glue/water solution on both sides in hopes of preventing it. Time and seasons, I suppose. I'm not re-doing it, so it's just gonna be crooked LOL

Still have roofing and interiors to do, as you'll see in the photos below.
US Paras are nearly done. I was very nervous to paint these little guys, but overall I am pretty happy with how they turned out! Not bad for not having painted anything in a few years, I think!
Hope you all enjoy and many apologies for disappearing. It's great to be back!

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi Brandi, Good to see you've reappeared. Welcome back! I'm following with much interest and looking forward to seeing more updates on your diorama — looks really good so far!

Cheers!
—mike
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Brandi, Good to see you've reappeared. Welcome back! I'm following with much interest and looking forward to more updates on your dio., it's looking really good so far!

Cheers!
—mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you! So good to see some familiar faces around here still!
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:46 AM UTC
A little update:

Got a lot done on the burned out house...Still much to do!