Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Technical" campaign
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 07:52 AM UTC
We have two more possibles... so, possibly 12 interested

Remco (4-BO-Green)
Simon (brynje)

Peter.. thanks for posting the kits that could be used as technicals.. all you need for this build is one of these kits.. and a healthy imagination

We just have to wait till Phill logs in again cause he's the one doing the "paper work" so to speak!

Hisham
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi
Ok one more i forgot is the humvee Unita had some mounted with 106mm rr and zpu-1 theres also a photo showing one with zpu-4.
Still waiting on storm minitures for their zpu-4.
Peter
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:29 AM UTC
Peter thats a great list you have there but also dont for get about the WW2 side of things too .. remember a Technical is a type of improvised fighting vehicle which will cover anything thats been modified to carry a weapon ..so you have alot of choices out there but i love the list you posted ..thats plenty there i think for most people (myself included )
I am thinking of a Ural 4320 with a 40mm Bofors for mine ..I saw one in Bosnia blown to bits basically but the weapon was clear to identify and the empty 40mm shells gave it away

November sounds pretty good Hisham mate ..I can work with that ,,now we'll see if the other chaps are ok with that ..the month can change if its a little soon for some .

Phill
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 10:19 PM UTC
OK now.. could all those interested please give their opinions regarding a start date of November and a time frame of six months. If anyone feels he needs more time, I don't think that will be a problem.

I hope more people join

Hisham
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 10:23 PM UTC
That time frame sounds all right to me
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 03:51 AM UTC
Sounds good to me also.
Tom
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Phil

November and 6 months sounds ok to me.

Not really sure that ww2 subjects could be classed as technicals in my understanding of the type of vehicle that the campaign was originally intended to cover.
Having said that the Germans did mount a lot of aa guns on the back of lorries etc so as far as improvisation is concerned then they would fit the bill and these would undoubtedlly have been used in ground support aswell as aa roles.

I will probably be going more down the militia/rebel type vehicle myself rather than an army type vehicle, not sure what yet, as i think it gives more room to let the imagination work without anyone saying what you have done isnt correct in every detail.

Anyway theres more than enough room for everyone and their own ideas so should be a good group campaign, hope it gets the go ahead.

Peter

Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
Just a question....
Jackal from AA or Tatra Sot can be ok for this campaign?!let me know....

Cheers
Ciro
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter thats a great list you have there but also dont for get about the WW2 side of things too .. remember a Technical is a type of improvised fighting vehicle which will cover anything thats been modified to carry a weapon ..so you have alot of choices out there but i love the list you posted ..thats plenty there i think for most people (myself included )
I am thinking of a Ural 4320 with a 40mm Bofors for mine ..I saw one in Bosnia blown to bits basically but the weapon was clear to identify and the empty 40mm shells gave it away

November sounds pretty good Hisham mate ..I can work with that ,,now we'll see if the other chaps are ok with that ..the month can change if its a little soon for some .

Phill

I know there are no hard and fast definitions but I always thought of Technicals as being vehicles used by Paramilitary or Militia groups and not WW2 vehicles.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 02:03 AM UTC
Here is a link to Wikipedia's entry on Technical (Vehicle) .

Should this be changed to a campaign for Improvised Armed Vehicles?

By the way, there seems to be a problem with new campaign submissions. We are seeing some submissions (unfortunately including this one) where the name has disappeared and therefore are no longer select-able. I thought it was something I did (I changed the start/end dates to reflect decisions here) but we are seeing the problem on Aeroscale as well. I hope we will be able to recover them. I will keep you posted.
brynje
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
I think the wiki description is what we aim for right. But I think Technicals is a fine title... since.. thats what it is xD

btw... is there any restrictions what you can make? I only do post apocalypse stuff atm
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a link to Wikipedia's entry on Technical (Vehicle) .

Should this be changed to a campaign for Improvised Armed Vehicles?

Definition as such, that may also include the police of many Second World countries which ride around in pickups as well. Inclusive of this would also be African Game Reserve Wardens patrolling elephants, rhinos, and various wildlife from poachers.

Perhaps the defining restriction would be that it has to mount a weapon of machine gun caliber or larger? Most of the pickups I've listed above do not have mounted weapons on them that I know of. So do you want the campaign to be only about Rebels (hence mounting a weapon), or do you want to also include some "good guys" as well? Also qualifying would be the Dillion Aero minigun on a SUV...
ComaBlack
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
Is it too late to get in on this...? Be a great way to make my introduction to posting (and not lurking) on this site.

Sure hope that post-apocalyptic stuff is okay too!! Remember the technical from the future in Terminator 2 with the laser cannon on the back? That should totally be allowed to be included.
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi
Personally i believe the original idea was a campaign to represent the heavilly armed pickups,jeeps,trucks etc used by the Libyan rebels in the current conflict, this was then widened to include other conflicts.
Again i believe this was meant to represent conflicts such as Lebanon Somalia etc where militias fought against each other and the goverments using heavilly armed vehicles.
I cant see therefore that an unarmed pickup would fit into the build as originally intended. Mind you a minigun armed suv would make for an interesting build
Not being the one running the campaign it is obviously not for me to decide what is or isnt acceptable.
Maybe the rules need to be clarified and cleared up so there are no misunderstandings.
My interests would lie with armed vehicles from say the mid 70s Lebanon civil war onwards as this would still give plenty of conflicts to choose from in the mid east , Africa even the break up of Yugoslavia.
Just my thoughts , iam happy to go along with whatever is decided.
Peter
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Simon (ComaBlack)... Please do join! The campaign hasn't started yet

As for the subject matter, I know it started out about vehicles in recent conflicts.. but if you guys would like to widen the scope to include "field modified" vehicles in general.. that's OK by me. Just go ahead and post your opinions and discuss it with Phill and amongst yourselves, and whatever you guys decide is fine by me.

Personally, I believe that variety is the spice of life

Hisham
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hey ya guys ..
Peter .. We thought that including WW2 vehicles would open up the choice of things to build ..basically if its never been designed to take a weapon like a heavy machine gun then it would count,..your very right with what the Germans got up to mounting AA guns in anything that would move including staff cars and yes you bet they used them for ground targets ..in Russia they mainly used them for that exact purpose.
Ciro,, Well mate if some military used that truck and some rebels nicked it then yes it can be used .
Pat your onto something there and its got me thinking and Gary has kinda hit the nail on the head with his suggestion ,, if would make the lives easier for you blokes then a name change could very well happen ,, hows this for the name? ;;

Technical and Improvised combat vehicles campaign.

That covers everybody and one hell of alot of ideas .

Peter ,,Good point mate ..ya i am going to add a new rule .. weapon sizes ..
The weapons mounted have to be a minimum of 7.62mm belt fed ..no assault rifles bolted to the roof and called a machine gun .the maximum size is unlimited even tho mounting a 155mm gun on a Hilux is a little nuts ..funny as hell but not realistic

Simon ,,This is a good question ,one which i'll need to think about .Armageddon builds are pretty cool and i think mounting twin .50's into the back of a Camaro would look pretty sweet or something along those lines would be aloud .

From Wiki ...
The term technical describing such a vehicle originated in Somalia in the early 1990s. Barred from bringing in private security, non-governmental organizations hired local gunmen to protect their personnel, using money defined as "technical assistance grants". Eventually the term broadened to include any vehicle carrying armed men.[1] Technicals have also been referred to as battlewagons,[2] gunwagons,[3] or gunships.[4]
So in fact it is just a nick name of sorts and now its at the point where anything mounting a large caliber gun its called a Technical .. where in fact this sort of thing has been going on since the first use of machine guns where they were mounted on a horse drawn cart ..so thats why i choose to include WW2 vehicles ,,they are all Technicals but just not with that name ..
Working on the fact that a pickup or SUV such as a large Chev mounting a minigun was never factory built item ..even tho I for one would love to see that listed on the options list ,,it is a form of technical so it sould be aloud too .
I would call it the rich mans Hilux ,,miniguns aint cheap .

So i hope this has answered some of the questions out there ,,if you guys have anymore than please ask away

Cheers

Phill
lowrider
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
A start date of November sounds great and a six month time frame is also good.Count me in!I am new to this forum and definately green as to campaigning.Looking forward togiving it a shot!
brynje
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
@Phill

I hope it will be allowed.
Im not planning something sci-fi with lasercannons and stuff lol.
Think fallout, metro 2033 etc ^^
I just dont want to be commited to a certain timeframe, war, etc
Leaves space for creativity when you dont have to be historical accurate.

Stuff like this

somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
Nice looking pickup, could do with a bigger gun but if its 1/24 there aint much weaponary about.
Ive got a 1/24 hilux and a 1/24 landcruiser but the only guns i have are 50cals from an old airfix mustang and they are not much good detail wise. Some one really needs to do some 1/24 machine guns.
To my mind something like that should definately be allowed it looks like a technical to me.
Peter
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 11:37 AM UTC
Simon ,, yup mate that is aloud .. I agree with Peter ..it really needs a bigger gun ..that little MG34 is to small ..even tho i wouldnt want to face one ..great gun to shoot too but yup thats right for this campaign
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 02:00 PM UTC
For those into post-apocalypse stuff, we also have the "What If" campaign going on now until May 15.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For those into post-apocalypse stuff, we also have the "What If" campaign going on now until May 15.

There's also the active "End of Days" campaign too. https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=397
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 05:27 PM UTC
Here's a list of the people who have expressed interest... 14 total!

Phill (WARDUKWNZ)
Hakan (17741907)
Stanley (Stansmith)
Sean Hadfield (windysean)
Pat McGrath (exer)
Hisham Haikal
Peter Regan (somtec)
Anirudh Arun
Wayne Gray (AgentG)
Thomas Turschmann (sfctur1)
Remco (4-BO-Green)
Simon (brynje)
Simon (ComaBlack)
Mark DiMartino (lowrider)

Does this mean that the campaign has been accepted? Will there be a campaign thread where people can join? Will there be a campaign ribbon, or something like that?

Will dioramas and small vignettes be accepted, or just single vehicles?

Hisham
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 06:47 PM UTC
Normally, the campaign would be accepted at this point but something strange is happening with newly submitted campaigns (both in Armorama and Aeroscale). At this point I can see the campaign listed in the "Waiting to be Approved" list but I can't select it. I want to see if it can be restored before I have the leader submit the campaign again.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 12:19 AM UTC
Gray mate thanks for that info .. least we know now that something is playing silly buggers ..hopefully it won't be a hassle to fix

Hisham mate you damn skippy that dio's and singles models will be aloud ..fact i like the dio idea cause god knows theres more than enough ideas to go with

Phill