Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Technical" campaign
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 10:50 AM UTC
Sean mate ..nice progress on the hilux ,, should look pretty cool when its done , on the engine and you aint seen nothing yet theres a heap of pipes and hoses on this motor and i will be putting nearly everyone on it , i want it to look like a mess and that wont be hard to do .
I could have left things alone but with the hood oprn had to put some detail in there. the more pics i found the worst things got so to speck
Least its gonna look good to me .

Phill
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 01:15 PM UTC
Phill: lots of nice scratching going on there. Looking good.

Sean: very nice progress on the Hilux. I've stalled on mine a bit, but hope to get back on it this week or next.

Happy Modelling, -zon
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 08:04 PM UTC
Painted the rubber seals around the windows, side trims and front grille. Also added the lights. Messed up the paintwork a bit, so it's going to be really weathered now!

Also made some progress on the figure.

zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Sean: looking great!! The guy's jacket is well done.

Happy Modelling, -zon
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 05:41 PM UTC
Well the engine bay is done .. now its paint time and this whole model is ready too be attacked .
I made four of these little springs for the bonnet (hood) hinges . turned out pretty good .

Now for the rest of the engine bay , messy and untidy ,just the way i wanted it

The next pile of pic's will be the finished model

Phill
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 09:13 PM UTC
Engine looks great....rest is a heap of junk....oh, sorry, that's the intended look ;-)
Really fantastic scratch-building Phill
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 01:05 AM UTC
I agree with Sean completely! I don't often see someone "plumb" an engine in this genre of modeling! Really well done.
-Sean.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC
Sean ,Sean .. not repeating myself here thanks guys .. couldn't leave it alone ..it looked terrible under that hood .once its painted and washed and brushed it should look much worse , oh i mean better , will be attacking the sides of the tray next ,,decided last night they look to good ,now to make them look worse

Phill
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 06:36 AM UTC
@WARDUKWNZ WOW, Phil!! What an engine! Have you tried putting the key in the ignition and turning it over? Looks super.

For me it's been slow going as I'm working to complete three other projects for a show next weekend. The first Jeep is pretty much done. Future, decals, more Future and a preliminary matt coat. The armour is just dry fit as I have a bit more detail painting to do on the interior. I'll also finish the rest of the exterior detail painting and then I'll finish the second vehicle and weather both at the same time.

The second Jeep is about 75% done and I hope to get the armour for it fitted today.

Cheers,
Jan
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
Fun Fun Fun
This will build will be all about having fun.
I had this build in mind since so long, now I have time.
I want to focus more time on the paint job. So I will try some news technics for me: hairspray chipping, modulation, new materials etc...

so what kind of modern subject can I use to have fun and good paint activity?
I found well Frenchy send me different pics of Somalian technicals based on captured M35A2.
here is an example sorry for the small size:

So here my progress so fare:

The main weapon will be a ZU-23-2 and secondary weapon a M2.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking and please have fun
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 11:08 PM UTC
Seb its coming along man and it seems we think the same ,,did the exact same thing to the sides of my deck aswell few days ago
Looks so much better with the alloy than with plastic .
Looking good mate ,,can't wait to see more .

Phill
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 02:00 AM UTC
Thanks Phil
Your engine is a real masterpiece I am waiting for the paint job to get inspiration

Thanks for the comments
Cheers
Seb
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
More progress that took far longer than I anticipated. The second "Technical" Jeep armoured panels did not cooperate in the bending process as well as with the first. The sides are actually a compound angle and due to the size hard to get right without luck. At least the PE didn't break from all the bending.

THe second Jeep is done except for wheels, spare tire and armament. As the first has a .50 cal. my options for the second are a .30 cal. or the dual Bazookas. I'm leaning toward the latter. Just to prove there are two Jeeps!

Cheers,
Jan
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC
Seb ,, lol well hopefully you won't have to wait for long before i attack this thing ..still thinking of the right colours to use and what level of grime i want on it .
I will under coat it today tho .

Jan .. mate those 2 weee beasties are looking pretty good , small but well put together , nice dude

Phill
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 12:53 AM UTC
Slow progress in the last week, but at least now ready to start making it dirty! Need to visit the LHS first

Made a mess of the windscreen...again....seems to be a habit these days. The windows are a clear piece that just fits inside the roof covering the front and side windows. I wanted the side windows open so took the dremel to it... What is it carpenters say? Measure twice, cut once! I should have done better at the measureing....left a 2mm gap at the side of the windscreen so had to make a new one. It's looking a bit glazed, but thats OK. It might even have a few bullet holes before I'm done ;-)
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC
Sean: Looks great!! Sorry to hear about your windshield. Looking forward to seeing it mussed up some.

Happy Modelling, -zon
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 10:56 AM UTC
90% done
Comments welcome:

Did the hood in metal is better than the plastic counterpart??

Cheers

Seb
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
Seb .. thats really comin along nice now ,,nice work with the bonnet and with the gun in place its really looking the part now . I've undercoated mine and should be painting it in the next couple of days ,once i decide what colour its going to be .

Phill
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 10:32 PM UTC
here is mine: started out as a 1/32 scale die cast truck, now its a lybian technical. not really happy with the paint. i tried to make it look worn and old, and the sand cam is hand painted.

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 11:13 AM UTC
Looking good Seb. I love that gun...may have to do another Meng to have a twin barrel!

Nearly there! Just a few wee bits on the front and rear to be completed. This will be finished tomorrow....I hope

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
Matt .. to think what that kit is you are doing a great job ..once its washed and dry brushed it will look brilliant

Sean .. dude thats also looking sweet .. now its the dirty time lol ..will look very cool once finished .

Mine should be getting painted soon but been pretty damn busy here as of late so hopefully i can attack it tomorrow .

Phill
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC
Looks like this site got quiet after Valentine's Day. All you lovers...
Well, a week has passed, and although I'm still knocking out the end of my Art of Battle Campaign entry, I jumped on this one! Couldn't wait!
As I mentioned before, I'm building a Mercedes Benz IFAV for the Marines campaign and for this one a battered Toyota HZJ pickup. The catch is that I'm using the same kit as the base for both, so here they are:
StartTechsAndMarines-20120212-2116.jpg
In lieu of a newspaper, here's the date on the Squadron monthly sales catalog...
FebruaryIssue-20120212-2117.jpg
To start with, I chopped and extended the frame...
TechFrame-20120217-2236.jpg
Splices-20120217-2304.jpg
StretchedFrame-20120220-2120.jpg
Then I went after the engine compartment. I cut the interior bucket at the back of what will be the pickup cab, then I cut out the bottom of the engine from the fenders.
FreedEngine-20120220-2204.jpg
I'll need to scratchbuild the rest of the engine detail and restore one fender to replicate a Libyan Toyota that turns up in a lot of my searches with much of the front end missing. I've ordered a Trumpeter Chinese Recoilless Rifle figures set to mount in back.
Cheers!
-Sean H.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
Another day at it...
FrameSetup-20120221-2218.jpg
WheelsSetOnGlass-20120221-2231.jpg
I set it on a small plate of glass when I set the wheels, so all are touching when I'm done.
Instead of bothering with extending the exhaust pipe, I cut it short near the muffler.
Now all the kit parts are on! The rest is on me...
KitParts1-20120222-0743.jpg
KitParts2-20120222-0743.jpg
KitParts3-20120222-0743.jpg
The kit front wheels are made to both roll and steer, but whether I made it correctly or not, they're super wobbly. That's fine for my build with the heavily beaten prototype, but on the next build for the Marines Campaign, I'll glue the wheels square and solid (No reason for them to roll anyway, once it's on a shelf).
Cheers!
-Sean H.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 07:31 PM UTC
Sean ,, lovin it dude ..some seriously good work to get what you want ,this has got me very interested i can tell you that .. hopefully tomorrow i can paint my Ural but i am still lost as to what colour to paint it . i'll get there

Phill
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 01:57 AM UTC
I sincerely apologize for the picture quality. I have to resist using my Blackberry anymore. I think the lens has been beaten to death. It's just too easy to upload photos from it.
Better photos (and hopefully improved subjects ) from here on out!
-Sean H.