Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Technical" campaign
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Phil
Did your mates get any photos.

Heres a stupid idea for you , do the build for the technical campaign showing the gun just mounted with one Somali saying to his mate it'll never work, the mate saying it will be ok..
then repeat the build after its been fired for the knocked out campaign this time somali number one doing a jig saying i told you so and the other somali with his head in his hands.
Peter
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 07:02 PM UTC
Peter ,, I really like your first idea ,,thats a beauty ,, as for the second ..sorry no can do ..i couldn't kill this model ,,its gonna look too cool
I asked him about pics and the answer is nope ..he was to busy with something else so didnt have the time ..i called him a useless git ..he said sorry ..will try to do better next time lol ..smart arse . gotta admit tho ..when he describes something he's 99 % on the money every time .nature of his work i will bet .
..Oh and also i have a Dragon Tiger which is gonna be used for the Knocked out campaign
Phill
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC
OK, I'm enlisted. But I'll probably be boring and just do the Meng OOTB....which will probably make me unique!
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 03:23 PM UTC
Hi Guys, I was under the impression that a "Technical" was a newer vehicle and since I really only build WWII I stayed away from this campaign. But after reading through the tread and the campaign page I figured why not build something similar to this
Photobucket
So I just picked up an Italeri 1/35 Mercedes Benz L3000 and I had a Breda 20mm AA gun made by Italeri sitting in the spare parts box. If this would be allowed I should be able to fit this build into my busy campaign scheduled
lawlzw
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 01:00 AM UTC
Yeah I had a similar idea to Sal's, except I will use Academy's 1/72 Opel Blitz, and attach a flak 38 on the flatbed...these flak trucks are pretty much all improvised, field modifications, so would it be allowed? To be honest i can't commit to the campaign yet, but if this is allowed I will try to give it a shot!

Cheers!
Lawrence
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 08:14 PM UTC
Lawrence .. in answer to your question thats a yup anything thats not made in a factory but is field modified is welcome ..Sal is cool with his entry ,,never factory made .. sweet lol

these flak trucks are pretty much all improvised, field modifications, so would it be allowed?

Phill
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 09:00 PM UTC
i just bought a 1/32 die cast john deere ute i'll be modifying for the campaign.

If anyone needs inspiration:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?195079-Libyan-Conflict-Photos-and-Videos
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
How about this for a technical? Is that a BMP-1 turret on top?

Hisham
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 04:20 PM UTC
Yo Hisham matey .. ya you can do that ..its still in the same boat as this campaign and yup its a BMP-1 turret up there ..why the hell they did that i don't know ..the turret basket on the BMP-1 turret aint that big is it ? lol
Still very cool and welcome here .

Phill
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I was going throu my stockpyle of kits and found a opel maultier of italery. From experiance, the blitz version was a bad fit. So i asumed that the maultier also was a bad fit and it wounded up in my storage box... Till now!!!

IMC has made a new ford 3000v kit. I wil use the cabin section to make a conversion to make a (surpice, surprice...) Ford maultier. (very original)

I already was begun to make the 20 mm flak from dragon but screwd it up.
So if i buy a new 20 mm and the ford, i can do a new atempt

Is this alowed? (its a half tracked vehicle, so... )

Regards,

Remco
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hey, Phill... I'm not planning on building that M-577.. I just thought it looked interesting I think I'll stick to building a couple of pick-ups... and maybe another improvised vehicle from the civil war in Lebanon back in 1975.

Remco.. based on what has been said before, I think what you're proposing will be OK for this campaign.

Hisham
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:16 PM UTC
Remco matey ya dude its all good ..half track it might be but it never left the factory with a 20mm cannon on its back ,,so yup its aloud ,,one thing tho about that kit ,,i've built 4 of those Opel maultier's and never had a problem with fitting of parts but the tracks are a problem as they are a little to short and cause the suspension to rise up ..replacements are the way to go .

Now to my mate Hisham ,,mate thats not a M577 .. thats a M113 with a box welded to the top lol ..thats whats got me ,,still can't see why they did it but like i said ..its cool ..you might not want to make it but i guess it does leave it open to someone else now ,,i can see why you dont want to..means getting a M113 .( no problems there ) but then destroying a BMP just for its turret ..now that could get a little expensive .

Phill
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now to my mate Hisham ,,mate thats not a M577 .. thats a M113 with a box welded to the top lol

Hi Phill

That's a M577 indeed ! Early M577 hulls were just converted M113 APC hulls with a box welded on.

Here's another one. You can see the weld line as well :

HTH

Frenchy
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 12:08 AM UTC
I actually saw that pic on another site.. and someone there also said it was an early M-577 with a welded top... So, thanks for confirming that with a pic, Frenchy!

It would be an interesting looking build.. and I have a few Academy M113 kits, but the problem would be getting a BMP-1 turret.

Hisham
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
@ phill- I had placed the gastank and engine, put the cabin on top and it fitted poorly... For the tracks i thougt i get some trubble, so i bought some fruiltracks

Regards,

Remco
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hey guys ,, so Frenchy i was right and wrong at the same time lol oh i am good . one thing tho and it could be paint but the top looks rusty or maybe red oxide primer ,,guess thats why it looks strange .. but oh well still looks pretty cool

Remco ,, mate you might have a bad molded one ..i just might have been lucky and the ones i built were pretty old now .its been ages since i built one bloody good choice on the tracks ..they are soooo small too

Frenchy ,, dude should have known you would find out the true story behind that thing lol

Phill
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hey Phill, the red paint on the top part is just part of the pre-Qaddafi Libyan flag... red, black and green with a crescent and a star in the middle. You'll notice those colors on a lot of the pick-ups and cars in the pics from Libya.

The slogan towards the front says (Misrata Rebels).. and the one towards the back says (Allahu Akbar) meaning (God is Great)

Hisham
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:42 PM UTC
Hisham .. oh see this colour blindness is a pain in the arse ..red to me is green and the other way round ..its annoying as hell .. well least thats cleared up now lol

Phill
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
I've been flipping through photos on the Associated Press website of "Libyan trucks", and I'm getting eager to dig into this campaign! Very cool to model a days-old subject.
-Sean H.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC
Sean ,, not long to go before it starts ..I to am getting impatient waiting ..hell i already made a start two weeks ago

Nov 1st can't come fast enough lol

Phill
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi

If anyone is interested in building the m577 with bmp1 turret i can help.

I have a spare ESCI bmp1 turret if anyone is interested.

My bmp got a zu23 mounted instead.

Peter
BRAVO3
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 144 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 07:56 PM UTC
Very nice idea for a campaign.

I am in now with the Meng Model Pick Up. It will be build as small diorama with one or two Taliban-figures.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 10:31 AM UTC
6 days to go guys

Phill
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 05:13 PM UTC
Here is a link to the campaign gallery to put your finished build pictures.

Technicals and Improvised Combat Vehicles Photo Gallery
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 03:43 AM UTC
Do we have to upload the pics to this gallery? I'm used to uploading to Photobucket and then linking the pics here... can I do it that way?

Hisham