Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian T-62 Mod.72 build
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 09:50 PM UTC
gary looking great the weathering is coming a long realy nice
dave
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:53 PM UTC
Man, I need to learn how to do tracks like that...
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 12:14 AM UTC
Those tracks are superb! That is sad for the little surprise
The fruils for my FP where of the same side... Looks like it is a bad month for tracks

Thanks for the sbs it is very helpfull.

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

Christopher, Mauro - Thanks For the pics fellas. i looked back at the pics in the thread and there is so much going on with colors chipping and rust, I wanted to make sure before i go forward. Thanks for the nice comments!

David, Jesse, Phil - Thanks for the kind words gentlmen. means alot to me.

Im about to start the chipping process. its gonna take some time but it will be worth the effort. ill post a pic or 2 as i go along.

Gary
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

Hey Phil - Thanks man! its simple, but so am I.

in this pic im apllying a mixture of mig pigments decribed above with mineral spirits basicly like a wash and then let it dry.
DSCF1796

I applied the same mix and spirits to the wheels only this time with more mineral spirits so to let it flow better with less pigments. make sense?
DSCF1797

I have glued the tracks on, but before i did, i apllied a raw umber wash to the tracks and wheels after pigments dried because i thought the results were to light. after the wash dried i began to aplly graphite to the tracks on the cleets and apropriate areas. some of the paint started chipping off a bit on the cleets so i decided to dry brush some silver on instead. i would have a pic of this but didnt realize the pic was blury before i already glude the tracks on. anyways, ill go back with graphite and more pigments on tracks before im finnished with the model.
DSCF1809
DSCF1806
DSCF1807

there was an un forseen problem with building the tracks the way i did. after glueing track links and wheels together and leting them dry overnight i test fitted them many times with no problems. after primeing, painting, clearing, and weathering i think the tracks shrank or tightend a bit. one side barely fit and the other side broke just as it was about to seat in place.
DSCF1802

I got the top mated back up ok but have the gap you see on the bottom. everything has been going so smoothly i was wondering when something would bite me in the a*s!
DSCF1808
thanks for looking!

Gary

Your tracks look amazing. Are there any tips you could give me on how to achieve results like that. e.g.What ratio of the Mig Pigments were used for the wash?
Great Work, keep it up.
Thanks
Euan
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 09:54 AM UTC

[/quote]Your tracks look amazing. Are there any tips you could give me on how to achieve results like that. e.g.What ratio of the Mig Pigments were used for the wash?
Great Work, keep it up.
Thanks
Euan [/quote]

Hi Euan,

thanks for the really kind words man!

I just kind of eyeball it but ill give it a shot. for thicker pigment wash i would say close to 50/50 mix with mineral spirits. for a thin flowing wash of pigment to spirits would be about 70/30. you can adjust to suit yourself. if you get too much thinner, just let the pigment settle a bit and you can soak up extra thinner with paper towel or suck it out with a pippet. i hope that helps man.

Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

If you have trouble finding Iwata lube, badger makes whats called needle juice. i here its really good lube.

Thanks for the tip, got some on the way. And thanks for the kind words too, 72nd scale builds are a whole n’other level of modeling when it comes to painting on such a small canvas.

Quoted Text

Hey Gary I just want to tell you how much I have been enjoying your build. I have been divorced for about 3 months now after a 31 year marriage. I thought everything was alright. But she left me for someone she works with. So I found out that nothing is forever. I too have returned to modeling to clear my mind and forget the pain. Thanks for you build again.

Quoted Text

Robert – I feel you man! Modeling brings me sweet peace and harmony. Thanks for the kind words and for following along.

With modeling you become and stay completely focused with what you’re working on because IMHO it is an art form. It’s a great stress reliever from what ever may be on your mind. For me I forget everything around my world during my modeling session. The research, building, painting and at times display base consumes my mind with plenty of ideas along with learning something new and it’s all positive and constuctive. Where we would otherwise build in solitude the Internet and these websites brings all of us together, kind of like a club of sorts, where we can share this art form (mistaken for a hobby in MHO) and a little about us too.

Quoted Text

NIIIIICE! I was wondering if I waqs doing this right. This is exactly what I wanted to see thanks a lot Gary!

I am your padawan
Your work is just superb and your techniques are pushing me to the next level.

Thanks for sharing Gary.

Phil

Quoted Text

Phil – WHAT! Does that mean im a yoda? Or an obi-wan?
Thanks man! we can all learn from each other.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU PHIL!!!

Quoted Text

I was thinking of Qui gon jiin or Mace windu (the hair cut)

Phil and Gary, that is way to messed up funny!

Gary, the fading on the vehilce and weathering on the tracks looks very convincing.

Quoted Text

after the wash dried i began to aplly graphite to the tracks on the cleets and appropriate areas. Some of the paint started chipping off a bit on the cleets so i decided to dry brush some silver on instead.

Master Mace Windu, it sounds like you may be using a regular leaded pencil that is way to hard and can easily chip off the paint or you’re being to heavy handed? I am currently using Prismacolor pencils found in most art and craft shops. These pencils are much softer and apply very easily to painted surfaces such as on your model tracks. They come in a large range of colors including differing shades of the HB leaded pencils. Aside from the thinned acrylic paint chips, applied with a paintbrush, I compliment them with the Prismacolor pencils or just use them for the smaller chips or to represent rust and oil streaks /stains. Prismacolor pencils are a bit pricey but they will last you through many models. Before you go out and purchase a bunch of pencils go and try one first to see how you like it.

Not trying to hi-jack your post with photographs of my builds but pictures do tell a better story. The chips and track ware rendered with Prismacolor pencils on a 72nd scale build.

Thanks for photographing, posting and sharing your techniques, I know how time consuming that can be, so it is much appreciated.
~ Eddy
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hey Eddy,

Hey man no prob high jacking here. i love all this info flooding my way! thats how we all improve, right? the Tiger is 1/72nd? dude that is sweet! id love to see more if you want to post here.
I actually have about a dozen Prismacolor premiers but not one regular lead. and you are correct, i used a typical no.2 pencil and i was a bit heavy handed. you read me like a book! i have a Michaels craft store 5 min. from here ill grab a couple.
Thanks for the nice comment man and i appreciate you!

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hi all,

Done a bit of first round chipping on the front. gonna take a break for a couple hours and thought it would be a good time to snap a couple pics. this is where im at now.
DSCF1812
DSCF1811
Thanks for looking!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 11:51 AM UTC
Very nice chipping Master Gary. what is that sweet brush of yours?

Eddy, thanks for the prismacolor tip I'm going to try that for sure!

Phil

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil

Hey Phil,

Thanks Man! the brush is a 10/0 Atlas. its a brand sold at the hobby shop, a cheapy. works fantasticly but they dont hold up very long.
So Phil, how many more day till the AB arrives? im ready to see that bad boy!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:23 PM UTC
One hell of a model there Gary Not too over done with the chipping so far. Are you going to add some of the base green or rust chips? I just broke out the T-62 I started last year and plan to start building it again to add with the BTR I have going right now. Your model is an inspiration to kick my self in the butt and finish what I have started. Keep the pics coming.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One hell of a model there Gary Not too over done with the chipping so far. Are you going to add some of the base green or rust chips? I just broke out the T-62 I started last year and plan to start building it again to add with the BTR I have going right now. Your model is an inspiration to kick my self in the butt and finish what I have started. Keep the pics coming.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks man! im happy it inpired you to dust off the T-62 and carry on.
Yes im going to add some base green and rust in the chipping but im doing this carfully as ive never did this much chipping before and i want it to look beat up but still in prime fighting condition. does that make sense?
ill have some more chipping pics tomorrow. thank again man!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Phil

Hey Phil,

Thanks Man! the brush is a 10/0 Atlas. its a brand sold at the hobby shop, a cheapy. works fantasticly but they dont hold up very long.
So Phil, how many more day till the AB arrives? im ready to see that bad boy!

Gary

I would say about 10 days Gary. Seems like I got time to work on the dio base! The long wait start.
Phil
FD3S20B
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 01:33 AM UTC
great job on this gary
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC
Some very professionally added chips there Gary, I love how the green looks with the yellow-ish chips over it- it just works! That's a camo scheme I'm going to have to try.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 06:20 AM UTC
I'm just checking some logic...

Tank came in Russian Green
Syrians repainted in Sand
Syrians add lighter colored green camo

Green paint chips to sand
Green paint chips to russian green
Sand paint chips to russian green

That's a LOT of chipping.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks gentlemen for your comments and info.

Quoted Text

Hey Jesse,

Dangit dude! when you put it that way it makes me want to puke! Im already nervous about this.
Dont worry guys im not going to ruin the model with un realistic chipping, i just need to make sure what i do chip i in the right steps/layers. if im not sure about something ill ask you guys or just not do it.

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC
Use the force Mace UUuussssseee the forcssse

Phil
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Thanks gentlemen for your comments and info.

Quoted Text

Hey Jesse,

Dangit dude! when you put it that way it makes me want to puke! Im already nervous about this.
Dont worry guys im not going to ruin the model with un realistic chipping, i just need to make sure what i do chip i in the right steps/layers. if im not sure about something ill ask you guys or just not do it.

Gary

Considering the way you started, I'm sure you'll do a great job
Anyway,Russian green stains are quite rare. You can see them only on very worn zones. In that areas it would be more probably that the paint peeled off completely. Small dark stains of dark brown would be the best way to "chip" the tank in my very humble opinion

Cheers
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil

Seeing this was just what I needed to call it a day, thanks for the hard laugh Phil

~ Eddy
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil

Chip the tank i must! use the force i will! Wise you are Padawan!

Thankful of Phil i am!
Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hey Mauro,

I agree man. you make a great point, and i think im going to adjust my thinking a bit on the colors. the russian green part is makeing me nervous. i think your opinion is good timeing for me. Thanks Mauro!

Eddy - I had a pretty hefty laugh myself! That Phil!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Mauro,

I agree man. you make a great point, and i think im going to adjust my thinking a bit on the colors. the russian green part is makeing me nervous. i think your opinion is good timeing for me. Thanks Mauro!

Eddy - I had a pretty hefty laugh myself! That Phil!

Gary

I'm always glad to cheer you up guys!
Speaking of funny things, this morning I was looking at the FP and reallised this: if the turret is glued on the hull like this

How the hell am'I going to unscrew the model from the holder I've built!?
I've used dentistery tool that my dentist gave me a couple of years ago to remove the turret and there was no harm done, but jeeez what a dumb job!
Typical Phil...
That is why padawan I am, master Windu
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hey Phil,

We have all made silly mistakes i know i have. I call it a "brain fart"! how does that sound in french? But how you savage the situation is where you learn some good lessons as well.
Looks like things went well with the plastic surgery.
Nice save Phil!

Gary