_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian T-62 Mod.72 build
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have started the Trumpeter kit #00377 T-62 mod.72. im at step 5, installing tracks but have to clean each link first. YIKES! not looking forward to that. im gonna build it basically OOB. im gonna add fuel lines and a bit of scratch work here and there but no aftermarket stuff. im wondering if anyone has had fit issues with the wheels to the suspension arms? some are very loose and wobblie fitting. anyways, heres where im at right now. hope you enjoy the build.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Thanks for looking!

Gary
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 06:32 AM UTC
I'll be watching!

That pile of links makes me a bit queasy. Let us know how this Trumpy kit is, I've never built one.

G
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
I'm planning on my next mega-build to be either Trumpeter's T-62 mod 62 or their T-62 mod 72. Following some of your past builds, I'm really looking forward to this one.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
Look forward to following this Gary.

I just picked one of these up myself, along with the MIG T-62M1 conversion, MIG KMT-7 and a heap of etch for the bargain price of £70!!!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

Wayne, Matt, and Rob.
Thanks for following along. i hope my next update wont have to wait to long as i will be busy cleaning all those darn links.

Gary
kaleu
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC
I built their first T-62 and some of the wheels were wobbly when I put them on the suspension arms. I also used aftermarket tracks as I thought the kit tracks didn't go together too well.
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:13 PM UTC
Will see how this one turns out. I'm planning on building the mod.72 . I really like the newer Trumpeter kits, they're really nice, that's why I got a nice stack of them. Though me and individual links don't get along at all...... Part of the reason I've stalled out on my ZTZ.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:24 PM UTC
Yeah, I always try to break up the tracks into a multi night affair. Do X number of links each night while continuing on with the build. It's not like 'tracks' have to be installed in step 5 or whatever.

One of the neat ideas that one of our local guys did on his fuel lines (this is on a T-55, but close enough...) was to find some wire at the hardware store, and cut off little lengths of the insulation. Split it down the length, and it just slides over whatever wire material you use for the fuel lines and looks like the hose clamps/connections.

I have to say...after the T-55, I can eventually see myself doing some more cold war Russian stuff. They're neat tanks.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC
Gary, I did the mod.62 version for a Campaign last year, the fitting was alright.
Yes the links were a time consuming and a real pain..
watch out for some of the turret details, railing & that kind of large handles on the sides, they tend to break real easy.

Despite that I plan to get the other versions to come, a nice kit.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 03:04 PM UTC
Yep! a lot of links to clean Glad you came with this build Gary, looking forward to see the steps toward an other great build. (a little motivating speech for those link cleaning hours )

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 03:34 PM UTC
Hey Fellas,

Oh Man! cleaning these links is like a curse to me. im so OCD about it im sure im over cleaning them. im gonna stop halfway and work on a base for my 1/16th german officer for an evening then, like Jesse, attack them the next night.

Thanks for the motivation Phil, i need it! once i get the darn tracks done im looking forward to this build and all the fuel lines. thx for tha heads up Jesse, i wondered how i was gonna go about it.

Thanks to everyone for takeing a look. this is my first modern tank. i hope i learn lots of good stuff from you guys so i can make this thing fairly accurate. dont hesitate to point out any mistakes ive made! Thanks again gentlemen.

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi Gary
I'll follow your build. I'm sure you'll be able to do a great job with it. I have the 1962 model in my stash but I haven't done it yet.
Regarding the fit, I've read that wheels assembled OOB on suspension arms are quite loose. I suspect that Trumpeter have copied and improved the Tamiya T-55 wheels. Tamiya t-55 kit provides some small nylon tubes to narrow the fit. Trumpeter kit actually doesn't have these tubes, and that's the reason why you could have this flaw
Make some dry fitting to verify

cheers
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 09:08 PM UTC
hay gary i just finshed mine and i love the kit you can see it "yes another T-62" hope you like and good luck on yours can't wait to see this done
dave
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hey Gary- looks like you got your work cut out for you with all those links!

I echo what John said about the turret details- the railings and long handles are very brittle and I broke mine several times during painting. If you have some thin brass rod handy I would recommend replacing them.

Any thoughts on camo schemes or finishes yet?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

Mauro, David, and Karl. thanks guys for the info.

the wobblie fit is the 2 front wheels and the 2 rear wheels. all others fit ok. just doesnt make sense i guess.

I do have various guages of wire and brass so i will definatley replace the kit parts. thx for tha heads up on that!
im only slitely passed half way through the darn track links! should be done by tomorrow night.

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi all,

Finally got the track links cleaned and hope to have an update with some pics in a couple days. thanks!

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi all,

Stayed up late last night to get the tracks in place so they would be good and dry this morning and i now can move on to the fun stuff. . i have removed the wheels and tracks to properly paint and weather everything. so now on to the upper half and hopefully another update soon.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Thanks for looking!

Gary
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 05:49 AM UTC
The track sag looks perfect! how did you do it?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

+1 on this- sag looks awesome. I used Fruils for mine and you've honestly got the plastic ones looking just as good as if they were aftermarket parts.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jon,

I glued a length of track together and let it set for 2 or 3 minutes then laid them into place atop the wheels and just used my fingers to push and press till i got the sag i wanted. i then glued to the tires. i had already built the bottom runs and glued them into place. i then built the sections of track that connect the top and bottom runs together while leaving the sprokets and idler wheels unglued till everything fit properly.

Hi Karl,

Thanks man! Ya do what ya can when you cant afford the goodies.

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:36 PM UTC
Those tracks are awsome Gary nicely done! no need for aftermarket when you got those skils

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Phil
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those tracks are awsome Gary nicely done! no need for aftermarket when you got those skils

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Phil

Thanks Phil! i really appreciate it.

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:23 PM UTC
Congrats for your clean build

I've never adopt your interesting method so I've never assembled tracks and wheels togheter before putting them on the lower hull.

Thanks for sharing

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hi all,

Im gona be adding scratch built fuel lines soon and i dont have a clue how they are routed and where electric cables and conduit is located. i know how to build the lines them selves thanks to Eddy but im not sure where to put them. anyone with references and or links to something usefull will be greatly appreciated. thanks gentlemen!

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congrats for your clean build

I've never adopt your interesting method so I've never assembled tracks and wheels togheter before putting them on the lower hull.

Thanks for sharing

Hi Mauro,

thanks man! i first did the wheels and tracks like that on my T34/76 build recently and it worked out nicely so i went for it again. i hope it works again.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP