Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian T-62 Mod.72 build
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

I not sure what SWABO means but it sounds serious

I believe I had that acronym spelled wrong when I posted it, it should be SWMBO: ‘She Who Must Be Obeyed’.

Gary, I know you’ll do me proud! Your work is on a whole other level much higher than where I am currently on. I am sure that with some practice the new airbrush will help me in bridging the gap on my way up there! I clicked on the banner link (DRMM blogspot) on the signature area of your posting and took a look at the work there including yours, very professional and outstanding!

After both my wife and I viewed your work posted there on DRMM, I was off the hook. All she could do was shake her head a little, we were very impressed with both the quality of the models and photographs. Thanks for sharing and posting your work and keep up the excellent work.

~ Eddy
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

I believe I had that acronym spelled wrong when I posted it, it should be SWMBO: ‘She Who Must Be Obeyed’.

Gary, I know you’ll do me proud! Your work is on a whole other level much higher than where I am currently on. I am sure that with some practice the new airbrush will help me in bridging the gap on my way up there! I clicked on the banner link (DRMM blogspot) on the signature area of your posting and took a look at the work there including yours, very professional and outstanding!

After both my wife and I viewed your work posted there on DRMM, I was off the hook. All she could do was shake her head a little, we were very impressed with both the quality of the models and photographs. Thanks for sharing and posting your work and keep up the excellent work.

~ Eddy

I must agree with Eddy on both: The obeying of She and the quality of your work

Phil.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

~ Eddy

Phil.

Been there. Done that. That's why I live a bachelor's life. Married guys lose brain cells by the billions.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

~ Eddy

Phil.

Been there. Done that. That's why I live a bachelor's life. Married guys lose brain cells by the billions.

Research says married guys are happier, have more sex, and make more money.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi all,

Dangit! i go out of town again and when i get home and check in it seems im missing all the fun! you guys are "all right" in my book.

Mauro - Thanks for the nice words man!

Bill - The 3:1 ratio is approx. i really just eyeball it when i mix but that ratio is pretty accurate id say. i do tend to spray my paint on the thin side. i spray multiple thin, but wet looking coats to build up the color. especially over a preshade. i want a hint of my preshade showing through when im done with the basecoat. i see people preshade then spray the base color and not leave even a hint of preshading. spraying thin allows me to have more control, IMO.
I generally spray primer and basecoat with my Iwata Eclipes HP-CS at approx 12 to 14 psi. and with my Iwata High performance B-plus for preshade and camo approx 7 to 10 psi. as you know everyone has their own way of doing things. so it may not be confortable for you but give it a shot.
to cleanup i use Klean-Strip Lacquer thinner from wal-mart. i spray through then back flush then through again and repeat till my back flush and spray are clean. i then pull my needle and wipe it clean and before replaceing it i use a shot from canned air to evaporate any left over thinner. i wipe out the color cup one final time then put a drop of lube on the needle and place it back in.
after useing future clear i spray a full cup of windex through then a half cup of water then ill finish with the same lacquer thinner process.
i try to keep my airbrushes in top shape at all times. them Iwatas er spensive! hope that helps Bill.

Eddy - Man! that is serious buisness right there. dont want to foul that situation up.
Eddy i really appreciate the kind words. im happy you took a look at the blog. i think it shows my progression in my skills. the King tiger was one of my first attempts to do a really good paint job and a decent model. the Chaffee was my first attempt at decent scratch work and first ever tarps. my tarps have improved greatly sense then. i think ive slowly improved. my T-34, Pz.1 and Staghound Mk.1 being my most recent completions.
Im happy thing are squared away with your wife! that could have turned out badly! Y/N?

AH...Phil my friend! thanks man! thank goodness i no longer have the "She that must be obeyed" She, being my ex wife. the obeying part was a bit difficult for both of us.

Matt and Jesse - Well im with Matt. Millions of brain cells were sacrificed during my marriage...and some by my own reckless behavior. But im a very happy man these days. However, i do seem to be in a bit of a dry spot in the sex department. so Jesse you make a very valid case.

I will have some progress to show tomorrow...i hope.

Thanks gentlemen!

Gary

P.S. ive posted and now im in edit. after seeing my post, i must apologize. i got a bit carried away with the smilely faces. looks like i had my daughter post it for me.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi all,

Im about to repaint the fuel barrels and ammo cans on the turret. ive chosen colors for the barrels, one blue/white and one lightend green. ive masked everything to spray barrels and will hand paint the ammo cans. i used Glad Press'n seal to wrap the hull. that stuff is awsome for masking. heres a pic before paint.
DSCF1766
ill post pics when finshed.
Thanks for looking!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 11:12 AM UTC
...beside being very skilled you're also incredibly brave
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mauro - if things dont turn out well, i could be incredibly stupid!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi all,

One fuel drum down one to go! got the ammo cans painted and decals on. gonna let things dry a while. ill finish other fuel drum later or in the morning.
DSCF1767
Thanks for looking!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC
As expected: SWEET!
Did you masked the straps on the drums?

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As expected: SWEET!

Phil.

Phil - i used Micro Mask liquid mask. but it was a b*tch to get off on the on the bottom saddle brackets. so im not sure what im gonna do on the other drum. ill figure it out by then. thanks Phil.

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 03:05 PM UTC
There you go! another I didn't know about. Lquid mask you say..A b*tch to take off. What is the main use for such a thing? Is it normal for me to suddently realy want that or it is a so so product?

Thanks
Philippe
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Phil,

liquid mask is very handy. i used it to mask all the spot lights and periscope lenses when i primed and painted the T-62. i built a Studebaker US6 cargo truck and used it to mask all the windows and wind shield. it has variuos uses.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/microscale-micro-mask-liquid-masking-medium-07-p5042.aspx

I think the problem was i applied it too thin of a coat on the bottom area. once it was painted over i didnt want to come off easy. if i had applied a thicker coat of it i think i would pull off easier. its not to expensive and last a long time.

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mauro - if things dont turn out well, i could be incredibly stupid!

I know. As a matter of fact your first barrel drum is very good
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 11:39 PM UTC
Gary that fuel drum really does add a nice bit of color contrast to the camouflage scheme- great stuff.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Phil,

liquid mask is very handy. i used it to mask all the spot lights and periscope lenses when i primed and painted the T-62. i built a Studebaker US6 cargo truck and used it to mask all the windows and wind shield. it has variuos uses.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/microscale-micro-mask-liquid-masking-medium-07-p5042.aspx

I think the problem was i applied it too thin of a coat on the bottom area. once it was painted over i didnt want to come off easy. if i had applied a thicker coat of it i think i would pull off easier. its not to expensive and last a long time.

Gary

Hoho! thank you gary I'm ordering some!

Phil.
DieselRocket
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 02:25 AM UTC
Gary,

How did you paint the top of the fuel drum - the end that is up against the other fuel drum? The gap between the two drums is so small. Just curious.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary,

How did you paint the top of the fuel drum - the end that is up against the other fuel drum? The gap between the two drums is so small. Just curious.

Hey Kyle - careful aim and easy on the trigger pard.

Mauro, Karl - Thanks gentlemen. glad i decided to do it.

Phil - just order 1 bottle. that stuff goes a long way.

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:19 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have made a bit more progress. The black drum had been repainted a different shade of green and i didnt like it as i thought i would so i painted it over in black. ill have to paint the retaining straps then clear coat both drums.
Ive also clear coated over the decals and ammo cans and airbrushed a better base color on the tracks. heres a pic.
DSCF1769

I went to see Act of Valor. INCREDIBLE!!! A must see.
Warning: Much ass kicking of bad guys by good guys. just saying.

Thanks for looking!
Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:33 PM UTC
Your'e a beast Gary! what is the colours you used for the tracks?

Thanks for the liquid mask advice.

Phil
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your'e a beast Gary! what is the colours you used for the tracks?

Thanks for the liquid mask advice.

Phil

Hey Phil,

How are you this evening?

I used Mig productions Brown wash with my airbrush. it has a realy nice tone for the track base color. ill touchup the tires and wheels and then gloss clearcoat for washes.

Thanks!
Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:08 PM UTC
@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

i wipe out the color cup one final time then put a drop of lube on the needle and place it back in.

Gary, would this lube be included with the Iwata airbrushes or did you make a separate purchase and if so what brand / type lube?

Quoted Text

Phil.

Quoted Text

Phil - i used Micro Mask liquid mask. but it was a b*tch to get off on the on the bottom saddle brackets. so im not sure what im gonna do on the other drum. ill figure it out by then. thanks Phil.

Gary

Gary, I’ve been using the same stuff but have also been using the Mr. Hobby ‘NEO’ liquid mask directly on top of the Micro Mask in areas that are suspect of not easily being removed. The NEO is much thicker and can be applied over the Micro Mask as a means for the tweezers to grab and hold the masking for removal.

The colored fuel drums look the part and do add interest and realism. Thanks for the tip on the Glad Press’n seal.

~ Eddy
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:19 PM UTC
wow gary fuel drums reay give it some life keep it up
dave
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 09:10 PM UTC
Very nice paintjob Gary !

I have a question about your running gear. How can you paint it if it's all glued together? I ask because I have a T-62 on the workbench and can't make a decision about the way I'll build the tracks.

Olivier
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:23 PM UTC
Gary: nice job man. Always a pleasure to watch you work.
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@BBD468 – Gary,

Quoted Text

~ Eddy

Phil.

Research says married guys are happier, have more sex, and make more money.

I may have made more money, but I saw less of my paycheck. I certainly wasn't happier. And, she would regularly leave me so she could get with her cousin. Springer, are you out there?