Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Syrian T-62 Mod.72 build
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

OOOUCH! Mauro are you saying you had silky smooth legs for that summer? Seriously, i bet that sucks! i havent spilled a drop since putting it on the glass.

Jurjen, im very happy you were inspired to dust off the old T-62 and carry on with it. that inspires me that you got your modeling blood boiling! Its been a slow couple days on the build but im hopeing to get some primer on it by Monday. maybe sooner!

Thanks
Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
Where is my daily tutorial on syrian t-62?
It would be great if you could do a sbs of your painting method, I realy like the finish you get on your models.

Thanks

Philippe.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Where is my daily tutorial on syrian t-62?
It would be great if you could do a sbs of your painting method, I realy like the finish you get on your models.

Thanks

Philippe.

I have to agree with Phillippe, your finishes are on the money!

~ Eddy
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 08:11 AM UTC
Not to worry my fellow modeling warriors! Primer is forthcoming!

Seriously though, im wrapping up the build today and will have primer on late tonight or tomorrow. after primer is dry ill try to do a decent SBS on the paint job. if theres any steps you would like me to describe more in depth when i paint, please feel free to call me out. ill do my best to describe. Thanks Phil and Eddy!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gentlemen,

OOOUCH! Mauro are you saying you had silky smooth legs for that summer? Seriously, i bet that sucks! i havent spilled a drop since putting it on the glass.

Yes.I could have recommended Tamiya glue to my girlfriend

Anyway, I think I'll follow your tip. how have you attached the bottle to the glass?

Take your time Gary. I know It'll be a great job. I'm sure because I've seen your other ones

Cheers

SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 08:14 PM UTC
Gary I am very impressed with your model. I particularly like your fuel lines and connectors

S
rovertacr1
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 10:11 PM UTC
hi Gary, ive jujst bought the same kit myself, not looking forward to the tracks either! no doubt i shall lose something to the carpet monster. good luck.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 12:32 AM UTC
If youre building a T62 from 73 war you'll have to use the other track, the RmsH track wasnt used on the T54/55/62 until later. I haven't been able to find a pix of one with them.... Love the build, great job!

Chris
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi All,

Mauro - Steven, Thanks gentlemen! dont worry, im meticulous on my paint jobs. i promise i wont rush.

Kevin - Nice kit, a few minor fit issues and plent of room for improvements if you wish. AAARRRGGG!!! those tracks! have fun with that. there really not that bad, im just tend to over clean when i dont have to.

Chris - Thanks! Track are what they are. no way im changing now!

well its pretty much finnished and ready to prime. only thing left is trying to decide to scratch up some MG fireing grips or just call it good and move on. Heres some pics pre primer.
DSCF1738
DSCF1737
DSCF1736
DSCF1739
Thanks for looking!

Gary
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 05:49 AM UTC
The only thing I can see to add is some small styrene bracket(s) to hold the spare track links on the left fender.

Otherwise, it looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing this with some paint and camo on it.

Are you going to a relatively light weathering on this one like the Staghound?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing I can see to add is some small styrene bracket(s) to hold the spare track links on the left fender.

Otherwise, it looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing this with some paint and camo on it.

Are you going to a relatively light weathering on this one like the Staghound?

Hey Jesse,

What type of bracket hold the tracks on other than the ones molded on the tracks. theres like a bolt head and a small retaining plate/tab molded on. as far as weathering ill probably weather it a bit more than the Staghound. im definately useing your track finishing method!

Thanks Jesse!

Gary
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 07:03 AM UTC
Oh, couldn't see the bolt detail, probably because everything is grey. Carry on.
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC
This kit is looking amazing! Amazing detail work, many many kudos!

I have this in stash, but plan on doing the Taliban conversion sometime soon
Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i have a terrible habbit of spilling my glue. so i taped it to a piece of thick glass to widen the base. havent spilled it at all after that!

Ha ha! Nice trick!

Tank looks great! All this added details looks spot on! I cannot wait to see some paint on it!
Cheers
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 01:14 PM UTC
delightfull madness Gary!!
Can't wait for more

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi all,

Jesse - Thanks for having my back man! that detail is tiny.

Tsgt. Cody - Thanks and good luck on your T-62 build.

Jaroslaw - Thanks man!

Phil - Madness indeed! after primeing, i dropped a roll of tape on the headlight guards and bent and broke the darn thing. i saved most of it but i have to do some more repairs. AAARRRGGG! makes me so mad at myself. oh well, sh*t happens.

I used Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner. Approx ratio is 4 parts thinner to 1 part primer. ill let it dry 24hrs before preshade and basecoat. Heres a pic of it primed with an arrow to the damage. not sure now why i added the arrow but its there.
DSCF1743
Thanks for looking!

Gary
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 06:51 PM UTC
gary looking great if the damage is not to bad leave it
can't wait to see the pain and the camo
dave
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 11:24 PM UTC
Nice work Gary, I'm looking forward to seeing a lick of paint on this.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
I did not know about that surface primer from tamiya.
It seems to do a wonderfull job, it looks all smooth. Those ratio are noted.

Nice Gary! as always.
See!? Youv'e done it again! Now I want a t-62 in my stash
Thanks
Philippe.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Well, I think you can easilly fix the damage Gary

I have Tamiya surface primer but I've never tried with AB. I've tried as a subsitute of Mr surfacer appliying it with a brush but it was a far worse

I think I'll give you a try, thanks for the tip
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil - Madness indeed! after primeing, i dropped a roll of tape on the headlight guards and bent and broke the darn thing. i saved most of it but i have to do some more repairs. AAARRRGGG! makes me so mad at myself. oh well, sh*t happens.

Gary, if it’s not to bad after you’ve fiddled around with it I would leave the damage; these large beasts attract all sorts of damage without even having to move. I’m currently using the same brand of primer mix your using, been using this stuff since returning to the hobby, shoots through all of my airbrushes without any issues, dries quickly, flat and tight without any loss of the tiniest detail underneath the paint.

I noticed that unsightly red arrow on your photograph, I don’t know what program you’re using for this but I have been using Paint.NET to produce the arrows, outlines and text on my photographs for posting. It’s a free download and easy to use, just remember to have your photographs already sized for posting before importing it into Paint.Net so you won’t get faded or blurry arrows or text. Save the photographs at 80% (asks you for setting when you save) after your done. It is very user friendly!

~ Eddy
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi all,

David, Karl - Thanks guys!

Phil, Mauro - The Tamiya primer is excellent IMO. It shoots great, dries smooth, and is durable and sandable. it has to be thinned with the yellow top Tamiya lacquer thinner. the Tamiya spray can primer is great too. i decant it into a bottle and use it in my airbrush aswell. either one is great primer.
Phil, T-62 huh! go ahead on my friend! dont say i didnt warn you about track cleaning!

Eddy - i have already fixed the guards. Hey! i worked hard to get that "unsightly" red arrow on there! well kinda pinkish arrow. Just kidding Eddy! it looks pretty bad for sure.
i tried to download from that link and my Virus protection wont let me. not sure what to do.

I have preshaded with Tamiya XF-1 flat black. I then apllied a base coat mixed with Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow 60% and Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green 40%. i added a few drops of X-22 clear to the mix. I then added Tamiya Lacquer Thinner to the paint mix approx. 3 to 4 parts thinner to 1 part paint. heres the result.
DSCF1744
DSCF1746
DSCF1745

Next i will aplly camo useing Tamiya XF-67 Nato Green. once that is done i will spray a very thin mist of XF-60 Dark Yellow. ill post pics of finished paint job late tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for looking gentlemen!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
Awsome build there Gary Your making me want to break out my 2 T-62 and try to finish them up once I get done with the BTR I'm building. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 10:26 AM UTC
Wow! Outstanding!

I've rarely seen a so good pre-shading job !

Great indeed!!
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
Nice sbs Gary Thanks alot! I'll make sure to mark this tread as a reference.

Philippe.